/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Irish
>What language should I learn?
Classical Arabic

Old thread Old challenge

Attached: PiOeylMISiY.jpg (500x320, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2av9SQsMIi8
duden.de/sprachwissen/rechtschreibregeln/anfuehrungszeichen
vkopt.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

300 is the bump limit so we have to create a new thread before it passes page 10 and dies.

No, 310 is the bump limit.

Close enough.

Thread is here

And I posted that in the wrong thread..

At least we know where we are now.

Don't worry, I posted to come here instead on that thread and saged it. You technically made this first, after all.

Do we?

Attached: c30.jpg (1000x1091, 109K)

I want to learn quechua

Attached: 1280px-Flag_of_Peru_(state).svg.png (1280x853, 125K)

Based
An Amerindian language I've always wanted to learn is Nahuatl. That and Inuktitut.

>want to learn Shawnee for larping
>ancestors murdered all the natives

Attached: pink.jpg (280x291, 22K)

I'm part Mikmaq and my stepma is Mikmaq. Whenever we go to visit her family on the reserve, there are signs in Mikmaq and even older people speaking Mikmaq with each other. Maybe I should learn that, but I now live far away from where that is spoken. Would be a fun LARP though.

Qué novelas de ficción recomendarias para un estudiante principiante de español?

>Why do you want to learn the language?
>LARPing.

why do you?

>“The ring is too small,” said Hans. “It won’t fit on those things at all.”
>„Diese Ring ist zu klein,“ sagte Hans. „Der passt gar nicht auf den Dingen.“
"Ring" is the sentence subject. you need to inflect it's pronouns accordingly. you glossed over the "it won't" part. your translation misses the future tense. You also didn't inflect the article of "Dinge" or "Dinge" itself correctly. lastly, in german, similarly to british english, the full stop (or period), commas, etc. are placed outside the brackets (or parenthesis).
"„Dieser Ring ist zu klein“, sagte Hans. „Der wird gar nicht auf die Dinger passen“."
>“This ring is much wider,” said the man at the booth. “It should be easier now.”
>„Dieser Ring ist viel breiter,“ sagte der Mann von dem Stand. „Nun sollte es einfacher.“
"von dem" can be contracted into "vom". the second sentence lacks its verb "be".
"„Dieser Ring ist viel breiter“, sagte der Mann vom Stand. „Nun sollte es einfacher sein“."
>The man at the booth gave her a metal ring. Heidi threw her ring. The ring sailed through the air and landed on the wooden target.
>Der Mann von dem Stand gab ihr einen Metallring. Heidi warf ihnen Ring. Der Ring segelte durch die Luft und landete auf dem hölzernen Ziel.
you used the dative 3rd person plural "ihnen" while you'd want to use the masculine accusative feminine possessive "ihren" instead. (note: sounds real complicated, basically means, the owner is, grammatically speaking, feminine (which Heidi is) and the owned is, grammatically speaking, masculine and in the accusative. when researching, do not confuse the feminine possessive with the plural pronoun)
"Der Mann vom Stand gab ihr einen Metallring. Heidi warf ihren Ring. Der Ring segelte durch die Luft und landete auf dem hölzernen Ziel."

cont.

Isn't it LARPing by default to speak a second language in any context? Think about it.

Really makes you think, huh?

Merchants and ambassadors never claim they're LARPing as people from the country whose people they speak with.

With ancient/dead languages does anyone else focus more on reading and maybe a bit of writing than speaking? I'm studying Latin and I do more reading than writing, and I know how to pronounce the language but I don't think it'll be useful anytime soon lol

What a coincidence. I was at the dentist's today, and they were playing Pocahontas on the TV in the waiting room

Ok so i'm taking the advice of watching videos and "reading" books in the language, while trying not to translate.......Am I supposed to be focusing on something while I do that? Words, phrases, etc...?

>“Whoo hoo,” laughed Heidi.
>„Whoo hoo“, lächelte Heidi.
I'd translate "Whoo hoo" with "Juhu". "lächelte" means "smiled". I'll go with "jubelte" which means "cheered". and I'll flip "Heidi" and the verb to emphasise that Heidi just cheered
„Juhu!“, Heidi jubelte."

When I arrived, Christian Bale's character killed Kokoum, and John Smith/Mel Gibson took the blame to protect his friend.

Then this song played
youtube.com/watch?v=2av9SQsMIi8

Then Pocahontas saved Mel Gibson and Chief Powhatan declared a cease fire. The fat Radcliffe tried to kill Powhatan anyway, but Mel Gibson jumped in front of the chief.

Then the receptionist told me I had to go see the dentist

And this is why we have AIDS.

what does the OP image say

I am not good at English, so here is rough translation.

Our boys love each other so passionately
They sleep together;
There is no point to shoo them away,
Let them be naughty a little:
Because they aren't going to birth a child
There is no danger in them sleeping together.

AIDS doesn't come from love. It comes from lust.

>There is no danger in them sleeping together.
Except, you know, AIDS and shit.

Is French a hard language to learn?

Also, any britbongs willing to help me improve my RP? ;-;

>Is French a hard language to learn?
French is easy.

French isn't very hard.

I heard listening is aids because Frenchies speak real fast and it's hard to know where one word starts and the other ends.
is that true?

Languages you don’t know will always sound fast to you.

So, is German/British quotation mark punctuation like this:

"Aлeкceйis very kind and special", said Бopиc. "I love his golden hair".
"Oh, hello. Did you say my name"? asked Aлeкceйis.
Бopиc blushed, "н-н-нeт ... nothing".

I'm not sure if it was the same with English for me.
Although, I have been speaking Engloos since I was 5 or 6...
German wasn't hard to break down, and they don't speak as fast as Frenchies (at least for me)

Unless you plan on going to a convention no. I heard theres only a couple hundred fluent speakers anyway.

>Close enough.
cringe

Yeah there are very, very few fluent speakers of Latin and I'm pretty sure that most of them work for the Catholic Church.

sounds like russian haha
agreed

If you know english quite well then I dont think its that hard. I'm learning french rn because my brother speaks fluently. I think it will take around 1200 hours for me to get to a conversational stand point. But thats way less time then i spend playing video games in a year.

you're a kneegrow

right, cheers

Здopoвo пидopacы я yчy pyccкий пoгoвopить c дpyзьям в кcгo

why would anyone even want to learn russian? Just for the women?

Every language goes really fast to a second language learner. You're just hearing this from unskilled beginners of French.
Russian literature?

for the literatura, it's def on my /lang/s-to-learn list

Har redan lärt mig flytande svenska. Behöver en ordentlig utmaning om jag ska vara någorlunda ärlig med dig.

csgo is abbreviated as кaэc гoy

I am having the most insane dejavu right now holy duck this exact same convo already happened

holy duck, indeed

> implying just for women isn't a great reason

Attached: 1534730078405.jpg (1200x1645, 199K)

I have the same exact thing happen to me sometimes in other Jow Forums threads!
One happened just yesterday but I forgot about it, but I remember a while ago having a dream about some thread where some guy on /v/ says something about inceneroar and the next day the same convo happens ahhh

We are just unoriginal normie NPCs on /lang/, nothing unusual.

>Just for the women?
Um, what? Russian women know English, you don't have to learn Russian if you want yourself a cheap russian mail order bride.

Russian women are lame. Russian men is where it's at.

if you're a canadian qt, hit me up

Are you the guy who ghosted Sven?

Beg your pardon? I don't know any Svens, sorry.

I mean, not Sleepless Sven, but a nameless Swede who was making multiple threads crying about it.

Give me your contact details though.

Nah, sorry, I'm hideous, haha. But thanks for considering anyways.

I bet you're cute.

4/10, long hair, big protruding eyes

>long hair
Tranny?

How do Russians download music from VK?

The youtube-dl wrapper for VK doesn't work for wallposts.

Attached: 1483284752898.png (612x491, 98K)

no

>Do what you must a bet is a bet and I lost you may have my ass

Attached: 1558525862230.jpg (1076x693, 54K)

Why do you have long hair then?
Anyhow, the vast majority of guys are not ugly unless they are obese or their face is noticeably disfigured. Women are just picky and entitled and won't settle for average-looking guys (which are cute/hot).

because long hair looks noble and I like the aesthetic

Hm, it can work. It depends. Gimme your contact details.

Have you got the latest one ($ youtube-dl -U)? Aptitude has an ancient build pkg

Saoirse#6678 on discord

provided you're talking to me, please link their posts when replying to others, it makes things more noticeably and clearer.
as I'm not sure for british english, I'll exclusively answer from the german perspective.
yes and no.
>"Aлeкceйis very kind and special", said Бopиc. "I love his golden hair". and Бopиc blushed, "н-н-нeт ... nothing".
are correct, safe for the quotation marks, as they have to be the bottom ones at the start („) and the top ones at the end (“).
>"Oh, hello. Did you say my name"? asked Aлeкceйis.
the problem here is that question mark. that thing has to be in the brackets(parenthesis). that seems stupid, but it's really simple and logical.
when deciding where to put the punctuation marks, think about what their role in the sentence is. do they modify the sentence inside the brackets, or are they "meta-punctuation-marks", modifying the entire sentence. When the punctuation marks only apply for the stuff inside the brackets, write them inside. when they apply for the entire sentence, write them outside.
couple of examples:
Ich glaub, ich kann nicht mehr.
that is one complete sentence, ended with a full stop(period) accordingly. but, when in brackets, as if it were uttered:
"Ich glaub, ich kann nicht mehr", sagte er.
the comma is outside of the brackets, signifying the separation of the uttered (inside the brackets) and the additional information (outside the brackets). as you can see, the "Ich glaub, ich kann nicht mehr" is irrelevant to the other parts, while the "sagte er" modifies the brackets. full stops as normally present at the end of sentences can be omitted, as done here.
"Doch kannst du!", antwortete sie.
again, the comma is outside of the brackets as it's relevant to the rest of the sentence, too. the exclamation mark is present, as it supplies additional information differing from the standard full stop. (namely, it being shouted or said imperatively)

character limits are the bane of my existence, cont.

Yep, still nothing

"Bist du dir sicher?", fragte er.
question marks are the same as exclamation marks.

the entire thing gets interesting when the entire sentence ends with the quoted sub-sentence.
when the meta-sentence ends with a full stop, it'll be omitted. thus:
Sie sagte: "Klar, das schaffst du!"
Sie fragte: "Oder schaffst du es?"
when both the meta- and sub-sentence end with a full stop, it will be written inside the brackets.
Er antwortete: "wird schon schiefgehen."

provided you're somewhat sufficient in german, you can read this article that explains all of the rules. though, style guides may differ. duden.de/sprachwissen/rechtschreibregeln/anfuehrungszeichen

All right, here is my corrected version:

„Dieser Ring ist zu klein“, sagte Hans. „Der wird gar nicht auf die Dinger passen.“
„Dieser Ring ist viel breiter“, sagte der Mann vom Stand. „Nun sollte es einfacher sein.“
Hans warf den breiten Ring mehrmals, aber jedes Mal verfehlte der Ring das Holzziel.
„Lass mich es versuchen“, sagte Heidi.
Der Mann vom Stand gab ihr einen Metallring. Heidi warf ihren Ring. Der Ring segelte durch die Luft und landete auf dem hölzernen Ziel.
„Juhu!“, Heidi jubelte.
„Das war nur Glück“, grummelte Hans.
“The ring is too small,” said Hans. “It won’t fit on those things at all.”
“This ring is much wider,” said the man at the booth. “It should be easier now.”
Hans threw the wide ring several times, but each time, the ring missed the wooden target.
“Let me try,” said Heidi.
The man at the booth gave her a metal ring. Heidi threw her ring. The ring sailed through the air and landed on the wooden target.
“Whoo hoo!” Heidi cheered.
“That was only luck,” grumbled Hans.

and reading it, hopefully I got all the quotation marks correct

Hans versuchte es weiter, aber sein Ring drehte sich weiter von den Holzzielen weg. Nach dem zwölften Versuch hatte sich eine große Menge um das Ringwurfspiel versammelt.
Ein Mann in einer Toga sagte, „Robin Hood kann nicht schießen.“
Der Mann in der Toga war Franz. Er und Hans waren Rivalen seit Kindheit.
„Das Kirmespiel hat mich gemogelt“, sagte Hans. „Es ist unmöglich zu gewinnen.“
„Geh rüber, Amateur“, sagte Franz.
Franz hielt den Metallring selbstbewusst. Er schaute vorsichtig auf die Holzzielen und dann warf den Ring. Der schwankte nicht. Der Ring landete genau auf dem Ziel.
Der Zirkusmitarbeiter zuckte die Achseln.
„Fantastisch!“, reif die Menge.
„Das war ein Meisterschuss!“, sagte eine Frau in einem Hexenkostüm.
Die Menge versammelte sich um Franz und jubelte.
„Wir sehen uns später, Robin Hood“, sagte Franz.

Hans kept trying, but his ring kept swerving away from the wooden targets. After the twelfth attempt, a large crowd had gathered around the ring toss game.
A man in a toga said, “Robin Hood can’t shoot straight.”
The man in the toga was Franz. He and Hans were rivals since childhood.
“The game cheated me,” said Hans. “It’s impossible to win.”
“Move over, amateur,” said Franz.
Franz held the metal ring confidently. He carefully looked at the pegs and then threw the ring. It didn’t swerve. The ring landed right on the target.
The circus employee shrugged.
“Fantastic!” yelled the crowd.
“That was a master shot!” said a woman in a witch costume.
The crowd gathered around Franz and cheered.
“Smell ya later, Robin Hood,” said Franz.

Where was it? How long ago?

Is this true

film

Yesterday, maybe the day before. Swede was spamming about how his Russian Jow Forums bf Anton ghosted him.

Weird thing. I thought it's regular and that's why it could be me.

Well, yes? Make an account on VK and add a couple of girls, they most likely will speak English to some degree.

Wtf is vk? Some whore site?

Russian Facebook. All Russians use it. Either VK or Odnoklassniki.

>Facebook
So yes, some whore site.

pls don't say it's a whore site, me mum has a profile on vk and she's a saint. She's a virgin.

> Sie sind doch Jude, oder?
> Ich hab doch eine Frage, und zwar eine religiöse.
> Wie ist das eigentlich so ... beschnitten zu sein? Ist euer Sex genauso wie meiner?

Es gibt nur sehr wenige Juden in Deutschland, also ist es weitaus wahrscheinlicher, dass du diese Unterhaltung mit einem Moslem führen würdest.

chino chan... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO ahh yes chino chan... your scent AAARRRRGGHH *sniff* *sniff* mmmm yees oh yes chino chino chino... chino chan... mmm yesss

هل هناك شخص يريد أن يساعدني في لغتي العربية؟

wrong reply my bad

Wtf why are you here
I wanted a sandnigger free space especially /m*na/
Anyways /lang/, I feel like adding another language to my list: chinese. Should i do it? Don’t spam that meme pls.

>هل هناك شخص يريد أن يساعدني في لغتي العربية؟
*هل هنا شخص
هناك - over there
هنا - here
if you ask again later i can help, but I am going to bed now.

try VkOpt
vkopt.net/

page 8

>Scots? A tonal Romance language with Germanic influences.

Attached: b4b98a83da0cd1ebc13248bcb951a6a3.jpg (236x284, 7K)

Bump

Does anyone have or know where I can find spanish subs/script for la casa de papel? I've looked everywhere