What are the wierdest names that you give to other countries and locations?

What are the wierdest names that you give to other countries and locations?
In Spain, we call germany "Alemania", and Beijing is "Pekín", and USA citizens are "Estadounidenses"

Attached: endonym-map-2.jpg (880x640, 178K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lkZ4we_ZsK8
youtube.com/watch?v=eUO8XmTr46g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We call Germany "Allemagne", and Beijing being "Pékin" is also valuable in French

Beijing is "Peking" in Swedish

Germany - Vācija.

It's an ''inside joke''
Let me explain.
German landlords ruled Latvia since Northern Crusades. The word ''Vācies '' means get out/get lost/go away.

Vācies,Vācijā,Vācieši.
We are literally calling them ''Get the fuck out's'' :)

Rude :(
Can't we be friends?

So you think we hold a grudge since 1200 !?

Maybe. There are many who dislike us, sometimes I'm not sure whether it's ironic or unironic hate we're getting.

well we call germany alemania and beijing pekis too )

That's just irrational.
If we hated people who ''did us wrong'' that list would contain Swedes,Germans,Russians,Poles ...no person can hate that many people

youtube.com/watch?v=lkZ4we_ZsK8

Hm... I can't think of any "weird" names we give to others... We also call Beijing Peking, but what's weird about that? It's also normal that some countries call Germany Alemania or something, it's just the tribe you met first. If I recall it right, we don't have something like the Poles who call us Germans "silent strangers" or something like that.

Peking is the old transcription of Beijing. Chinese requested that the official English transcript should be Beijing, because it's closer to the original Chinese pronounciation.

>German people
Boches which is old french for "stubborn"
>italian people
Ritals which was the short label written for "Refugee Italian"
>Swiss people
Ouin Ouin because they are always whining about french people
>Spanish People
Espingouin which is a short for "spanish pinguin ", just for fun
>Portuguese People
Portos
>Polish people
Pollacks
>Israël people
Youd, short for juden
>English people
Rosbeef
>asian people
Niakoué which is Vietnamese for low class people

The list is long

Glad you're that rational, honestly. Is the Teutonic Order percieved as an important part of your history?

Germany is "Germania", but german is "tedesco"
Beijing is "Pechino"
"Statunitense" is sometimes used, but we more commonly say "Americano"

Yes. We view this time in Latvian history without any ''politicizing'' . It's only time from WW1 that starts to divide people

We call New Zealand "New Zealand" despite actually being named after Zeeland and having nothing to do with Zealand lol

>Germany is "Germania", but german is "tedesco"
That has always been interesting. I'm not an expert, but I believe "tedesco" is related to "diudisc", which evolved into "German" and means "belonging to the people". While Germania is a name the Romans invented and wasn't used by Germans at first, using the name tedesco shows a certain closeness between Italians and Germans. Or at least I think it goes that way.

Oh, and we called Australia "Australia" which means "Southern land" despite there being a bigger, southerner land.

tedesco/tedeschi is a common surname here

In German, both Zeeland and Zealand mean Seeland. Danish and especially Dutch are still related to German.

That's interesting and nice to hear. It's not like Latvia is a common topic in the news here, but many say that the time after WW1 was your prime. In WW1, the Baltic Germans tried to unify the Baltic states (without the part of modern-day Lithuania that belonged to the German Empre) as "United Baltic Duchy". What do you think about that idea? I'm just curious.

Italy-Germany union (aka new HRE) when?

youtube.com/watch?v=eUO8XmTr46g
It was a odd time after WW1 and we had ''civil war''
When we gained independence we went all ''authoritarian'' and the best time in our nations history started.

As for ''United Baltic Duchy'' the problem was that Baltic Germans would be in charge and that is almost like Livonia of old.

in Lithuanian Germany is called Vokietija.
It originated from the word vokietukas - literally meaning little devil. So Vokietija - land of devils.

Poland is called Lenkija, originated from phrase lenkti ratu - literally go around. So Lenkija means land to avoid in our language.

Attached: autizmo diplomas.png (399x345, 90K)

We are truly brothers

Attached: cdb.jpg (499x499, 19K)

Basically Germany is to you what Poland is to us, lol

Attached: 1548467297597.png (1482x1510, 317K)

haha top banter

We call France "Tsarfat" for some dumb reason, pretty sure no one else does it

Antarctica was called Australia first before they stole it

Germany is Njemačka.

Vienna is Beč.

Constantinople was Carigrad (Emperor-city).

Hungary is Mađarska, after Magyars.

Venice is Venecija, but Venetians are Mlečani.

Netherlands is Nizozemska, but Serbs call it Holandija.

USA is SAD, with "united" translated into "sjedinjene", but UK is UK, with "united" translated into "ujedinjene".

my brothers

We call Germany "Saksamaa", Russia "Venemaa", Latvia "Läti", Lithuania "Leedu" and Belarus "Valgevene".

Attached: 1564586710310.jpg (1080x1191, 175K)

Also sarmatians - sarmata - shame

We do this too
we are spaniards

Chinese Mandarin
China = Middle Country
America = Beautiful country
Korea = Han country

The rest get phonetic names

based
our most similar thing is "Vandalos" (vandals) wich is also a despective word
we also call all asians "chinos" (chinese) because we cant really tell them apart

Attached: españa_irlanda.jpg (552x910, 96K)

We call Germany "Germania", but Germans "Nemți"

>vandals
I think that's fairly universal, it basically means hooligan

It's a common thing to struggle with unfamiliar groups but if you see them a lot it's really obvious

Lots of Asians think any tall foreign guy is a Hollywood star

We call USA gringolandia

we also just call white foreigners "Guiris", since they all look and behave similarly

Attached: mapraces_spain.png (1308x624, 42K)

Here is an inter-Slavic source for confusion.

We call Slavs "Slaveni", but Serbs call them "Sloveni". So Serbs say the adjective Slavic as "slovenski", but in Croatian, the adjective "slovenski" refers to Slovenians and Slovenia, which Serbs instead call "slovenački", which to a Croat who is not used to it sounds like "slovački", which refers to Slovaks.

This has given me nightmares

We call Myanmar "Myanmar, formerly known as Burma". Never one or the other

>That picture

Cringe, imagine being this self hating

Slovaks actually call themselves "Slovenska Republika"

You also call beer 'cerveza', which is weird

It's all the same at the end, yugos like to complicate the simple

Old map

Come to think of it, most of the time when people mean UK they just call it Anglija, pronounced Anglia. Kinda weird, innit?

it's from latin I think, while birra is used but germanic origined

gay

Well England comes from Anglo, and a bit of the UK is still called East Anglia. So not that weird.

how is it self-hate to state facts?
if only Spain had a proper name like "Castille", we could call the Hispania peninsula ESPAÑA as it should be called

Attached: espain_ireland.png (552x910, 357K)

Really?

cringe

most foreigners call UK "England", it's nothing out of the ordinary

oh yeah, that one is celtic. theres a similar word in welsh
we also have birra (less common) wich probably came to us from germany through italy

Attached: beer.jpg (939x765, 121K)

Oh I read it as
>we call
Why is it calling it cerveza weird

"dos cervezas por favor" is all the Spanish most Brits going abroad know

Attached: Average Spanish Town.jpg (619x412, 238K)

oh yeah, same here
its kinda the same than us calling all asians "chinese"
they are the biggest or most relevant group
i wonder why spaniards are never called "castillian" tho

Attached: castellanoEN.png (721x361, 146K)

Some German city names can change a lot in Spanish. There is Aquisgrán (Aachen) and Maguncia (Mainz) for example

>Cumhuryeti
>Cum yeti
lmao

Attached: 48677.jpg (1200x675, 152K)

Same here. You have England, Scotland, and Ireland.
Most people probably don't even know about the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, whatever.

We call yanks mutts

Nobody in England really cares, it's the others that get all mardy about people calling them Britain or whatever

Attached: 250px-British_Isles_Euler_diagram_15.svg.png (250x203, 36K)

Also in real life Nigel?

Shut up you twat,no you don't

Netherlands: Olanda or Paesi Bassi (low lands)

We call Greece "Yunanistan"

We also call Mainz Magenzza, Worms is Vermiza, and Speyer is Shapira, etc.

It's the same with foreigners calling us Holland. Most people don't care, proud province people like me keep correcting them everytime.

No one knows these places irl, must be old autism from when we had territories in the benelux

No. Brits are cool irl, except when they try explaining why we should vote Democrat instead of Republican

Holland is just much more convenient to say in conversation

Just a bit of banter, I’m always very friendly to yanks in person as they are so smiley. But yeah I always think it’s rude bringing up other countries politics with them

>Lithuania - Litva
>Latvia - Latvija
Premitty similair.

We still call Czechia the Czech Republic

Vienna is Dunaj
Venice is Benetke
Rome is Rim
the Adriatic is Jadransko Morje - sailing sea

lmao never in my life even heard Czechia used

Only one that springs to mind is Pyongyang becomes Phenian.

there are none, ours are the correct ones

cringe, here's your daily reminder

Attached: Screenshot_20190802-134647.jpg (1434x2799, 639K)

I'm going to get a rim job now wish me luck

We are the only ones still insisting on Gallia for France.
Also, we call Latvia Letonia for whatever reason.
We also call Switzerland Helvetia.
We're on the Holland camp too.
An alternative name for Kosovo that some people still use is Kossifopedio.
We also call Cambodia Kamboji for some reason?!?!? It's prolly a shit transliteration of Kampuchea or whatever.
All cities that once had a Greek name in Turkey are still referred to by said name.
We're more direct about Belarus as we straight up call them Lefkorossia (white Russia).
People here still refer to Romania as Rumania.
Lastly, nobody really calls fyrom north Macedonia here. Almost all people here just call it Skopje

We also call Latvia Lettonia

Interesting.
Latvians actually have no clue why we call OUR land Latvija. It's basically ''Land of Lats''
and Lats or Lets would be what we called ourselves...just we don't know what it means :)
Meaning -Lost to time !

Attached: 1_p1vZsYdEDEkCBV6DPc67bA.png (1044x782, 1015K)

There are lot of stan countries in Turkish
Yunanistan=Greece
Bulgaristan=Bulgaria
Moģolistan=Mongolia
Hindistan=India

Belarus means white Russia.

Aachen has such badass names. Aquisgran sounds awesome.

We call it Peking is Swedish as well. Afaik Beijing and Peking are two different interpretations of the Chinese name (and possibly from two different dialects idk).
And Alemania comes from one Medieval name of Germany, which named it after the most relevant tribe in the area in the 6th century, the Alamanni.

Other than that idk, we call Germany Tyskland (Land of the People), which is the same as Deutschland, but all other names are related to the English names.

USA is either called USA with Swedish pronounciation or Förenta staterna (The United States).

Those are pretty common names for Beijing and Germany though.
And the US thing is actually the proper correct name, nothing weird about it. The weird thing is calling them Americans when there's 2 other dozen countries in the continent/continents.

That's correct.
Deutsch comes from Teutisch, from Theudisk, just as Sw. Tysk comes from Thydisk, from Theudisk.

Whats the etymology for Mleciani?

its the new name now

We call Russia "Kuppainen paskareikä"

>Be heathens that eat their own shit and sacrifice their children to swamp gods
>Insult the people that bring you civilization as devil's
Wow rude

We've always called it Tjeckien. Tjeckiska Republiken would never have sounded natural here.

Northern italy was Lombard central. They even have some isolated villages that speak some old as fuck german. But its very rare.

Well, they were probably descendants of those people.

I guess that means saxon men?

Peking was what the English called it, when CHina got independence they renamed all their shit to spite their former colonial masters. Same as India