/lang/ - language learning general

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Classical Nahuatl
>What language should I learn?
Gaulish
old thread

Attached: inverted paul.jpg (288x288, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kza98JnST3A
youtu.be/rqT1onXH-tA
youtu.be/LL8GjrUyjYY
volafile
vocaroo.com/i/s00705TdWkfV
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you consider Langfocus content to be quality content?

I find it interesting and I think it's accessible for people with little experience in the subject.

Yeh, cause he’s not teaching languages so much as he’s teaching about languages.

live, /lang/

Does /lang/ prefer actual paper books or digital resources?

digital 100%
its fucking free and more resources

digital resources are more accessible and free, but if I'm actually just gonna be sat reading something for a while I find paper a lot better.

phyiscal 100%
it's comfier with actual books

I literally read everything in my phone, whenever I get a physical copy of something (ie old books) I just scan these and save them to my sd card

Speaking of digital resources, is there a reader that specializes in foreign language assists? Like you could select a phrase and hear it pronounced, or see a translation, or look up a word in a same language dictionary with equal ease? Or even one that adds some learner tools like shooting words to flash cards and the like?

/lang/, why are you learning a language? I'm learning Chinese for no reason whatsoever. just have fun understanding things that once were literal gibberish.

Digital because i'm a poor fag but if i had money i'd use paper every time for learning.

Oh Singaporean chan... I want to cuddle Singaporean chan... leave Chino chan and be only mine Singaporean chan Singaporean chan let me pat you, let me tickle you, ohhh Singaporean chan...

Wir leben in einer geschellshaft

Attached: ANGLOED1.jpg (753x116, 29K)

How do I learn German quick? My gf is German and I only know some phrases/words. She says it's fine but I want to learn it for her.

Attached: sad food helper.png (619x453, 5K)

I like writing stories and I like the idea of characters having dialogue in other languages.

disgusting

quick rundown anki+grammar guides then after 2-4 weeks consume media that's all

Have her teach you

It might not be the best idea to learn it just because of your girlfriend, unless you're long term partners. A lot of people who do that find that it's painful to study the language after they break up because it reminds them of their partner.

No.
On his video about Scots he failed to show any Scots.

Azərbaycan dili öyrəmirəm

Small question for estonian;

If I want to say
>little librarians'
How would i put -ke?

>raamatupidajatekese
Or
>raamatupidajakesete

I'm learning Polish because I am going to move to Poland.

The Polish Discord server I was on booted me again simply because I didn't send a message in 5 days. Fuck that, I'm not going back there again.

Attached: 132.jpg (1337x1289, 238K)

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

>cringe
Learning a language that you like because your trap gf forced you to / you are moving in with your parents / muh heritage
>based
Learning a language you hate for no reason whatsoever

I might learn cunnieform.

Oh Singaporean chan... I want to cuddle Singaporean chan... leave Chino chan and be only mine Singaporean chan Singaporean chan let me pat you, let me tickle you, ohhh Singaporean chan...

>too based
Having to create a creole since your master has put you in a group of people that speak different languages from each other.

the virgin reason
the chad nonsensical decision

add me on discord, maybe I'll find for you polish server from which you won't be kicked
t. this pole who left /lang/

Post your Discord username please.

ask for it on /lang/, someone might send it to you via DM

chino chan

I did it.

if it didn't give any result I'll ask someone to give it to you

Saya brean Chino

Phonaesthetics

that sounds cool

welsh?

Gigachad post

what book are you using?

Genuinely curious, how well do you understand spoken Finnish and dialects?

Not very well since I haven't studied any Finnish.

Start with Duolingo to get the basics and get used to the sound of the language, then start watching TV shows and read
At the beginning you can watch or read things that use simple language, like cartoons or books for older children.

>Yes. I am learning the Aryan language ( Proto-Indo-European), how did you know?

-_-

What?

Pārjei Wṛdhom bhewet, joqe Wṛdhom Deiwei ēst ensí, joqe Deiwos Wṛdhom ēst

>British """wittiness"""

I'm not British...

Not a lick. I struggle with Fennoswedish for this reason due to Finnish loans or hybrid words that don't make sense to me.

Huh, could have fooled me with that flag.

But do you understand standard Finnish?

youtube.com/watch?v=kza98JnST3A
from this I understand most of what she is saying, he is harder but if I would loop it I would get it. Generally female voices is easier to understand I think. Dialects is much harder, even tho I have grown up in the north of sweden and listened to dialect all my life

>But do you understand standard Finnish?
no
I only know very few glosses
like puuko, rauta, ketju, sisään
idk mang

>voices is
>Dialects is
are*, lad

I'm Scottish.

not in spoken finnish

Your post was in English, lad. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Attached: stare.png (112x112, 15K)

That's really strange and interesting. Both of them are talking very close to standard Finnish, which I guess is due to them being on video, so it's a sort of formal situation. Or they're from Central Finland. To me one doesn't seem harder to understand than the other.

-_-

what do you mean? I just tried to teach you that the plural form is not used in spoken finnish

I think it's because females have higher pitched voices and that makes it clearer. I love this finnish, it's very beautiful

How do you type a macron on Windows 10?

Maori keyboard layout. `+a/e/i/o/u adds a macron. The only missing one is y with a macron sadly.

It's not quite that simple.

I might be biased but Finnish is indeed beautiful.
youtu.be/rqT1onXH-tA
youtu.be/LL8GjrUyjYY

>what do you mean?
I mean that your post was in English. You can't use a singular verb for plural nouns in English just because you can in Finnish.

I am not leaning it yet. At this point I am just listening to songs and podcasts even if I understand very little. I am still on the lookout for a good book.

Dafydd Iwan is redpilled. I am listening to him atm before bed. Nos da!

Retarded to learn Russian purely by vocab studies, rarely if any grammar? Just want to be able to read the classic literature at some point.

I like ancient Roman culture.

anyone got download for assimil russian book and audio together?

Learning a language is 70% talking with other people who know that language
How the fuck are you going to memorize literally anything if you're not using it?

This is your brain on school shootings

Where is the best place to upload it?

Never mind. Created a lang vola. Put a full stop before the org

volafile org/r/1003nejj8

bump

LingQ

I prefer a book since prolonged reading on a pc or tablet strains my eyes

My plan: read about grammar and write down sections or take notes, while listing vocabulary words and studying them, then exercising a skill after I learn it.

I don't even know if this is a question that has an answer and if it is it's probably linguist level, but how do native German speakers "read" a sentence? Specifically with clauses that have an asston of information which makes no sense until you read the infinite verb at the end of the clause (or other clauses such as subordinate that pushes verbs to the end), same question for listening.

I'm aware a big part of this is subconsciously scanning for important keywords then filling in the gaps later (the same way you read words as the shape of the word rather than individual letters. In English you look at a group of words then kind of break it down rather than reading one word after another) but what even are these words I should be training myself to look for initially and once again how would this translate to listening?

Attached: 1565685467148.jpg (720x960, 232K)

Do you have an example? I'm honestly not sure what you mean.

Was actually in the process of coming up with some examples

Some examples off the top of my head that'll really confuse me if I read them
>Ich wurde noch nie von einem Nigger erschossen, obwohl ich seit 26 Jahren in den USA lebe
>I would still never by a nigger- I was never shot to death by a nigger, despite I since 26 in the US liv- despite having lived in the US for 26 years
>Ehrlich gesagt weiß ich nicht einmal, was ich dafür schreiben soll
Honwstly I don't know (weiß ich nicht here is an easily digestible "block" so no confusion) once- I don't even know what I for this write should- oh it's "what I should be writing for this"
>Vielleicht merkt es niemand, wenn ich Google Übersetzer aus Faulheit benutze, da ich meine handy benutze und keine Lust habe, Übersetzungen zu machen, bis ich auf meinem PC bin
>Maybe notice it nobody- maybe nobody noticed, maybe nobody will notice? When I Google translate out of laziness use, there I am- because I my phone use- because I'm using my phone and don't feel like translations making- doing translations until I on my PC- until I'm on my PC

This is essentially my thought process as I read. I intentionally used things I didn't type or previously read as being unfamiliar is the point

I also realize the problem here is I'm trying to translate to English rather than directly inferring the meaning but at my level it's unavoidable

Seems to me like you just lack general understanding of how German sentence structure exactly works and compare it too much to how it works in English instead. I read it in chunks with no problem.
>Ich wurde noch nie von einem Neger erschossen.
That's it's own part for me. What comes after the comma is just adding something. You could also say
>Ich wurde noch nie von einem Neger erschossen. Und das obwohl ich in den USA lebe.
It's basically the same, except clunkier because it doesn't need to be two seperate sentences, as the period interrupts the "flow" a bit.
Also you're not translating directly enough. Translating it more "literally" would be
>I have never been shot by a nigger, even though I've been living in the USA for 26 years.
That's not all that different, is it?
No idea where you get "still" from, for example. So I guess you just need to learn certain expressions better instead of translating word for word to translate them more fluently when reading. Certain flavour words like "noch" can be translated differently depending on context, as you see. Eventually these kind of expressions become ingrained and then you translate word chunks that belong together instead of every individual word.

The second example is really clunky in any case by the way, it's bad form to do it that extremely (unless it's some kind of stylistic device used to express lengthiness or breathlessness or something).

Yeah. It just comes with time when you get better. Your brain has to learn that English sentence structure is not the only kind of sentence structure there is, basically.

Regarding the first part, I can generally construct sentences with proper structure but it's just I don't know how to properly infer information. I'll read the rest of the reply when I'm on my PC and respond thoroughly then, but thanks regardless

i'm learning norwegian because I wanted to challenge myself to something new and it's the prettiest sounding language i've ever heard.

norwegians also seem pretty chill, at least the old grandpas and grandmas in big colorful sweaters at julefest

Attached: 14352082_10154527070294233_5285942948009426731_o.jpg (2048x1365, 339K)

There is quite literally nothing wrong with this. On the contrary, it's refreshing to see that they're taking such initiative.

t. someone who belongs to one of the only ethno-linguistic group which seems redbulled about the angloid menace

Yeah they are overreacting. Dutch people are absolutely not forgetting how speak Dutch and foreign students have a great time there cause they can talk to everyone.
t. studied at Dutch university for a year

thank you user
where did you get them from?

And in the early 1800's, people weren't forgetting how to speak Breton either, despite prior concerted efforts by the French government in that very dirtection. You have absolutely no foresight nor forethought of any sort if you seriously think a zero-order extrapolation of the present situation to be a sufficient safeguard against the angloid menace.

Ok, interesting.. When I listen to "meänkieli" one thing that strikes me is that the -vat form is always used, and I also think -mme is more or less always preferred. But in youtube clips of standard finnish I think this is rare, at least rare enough that I think it sounds suprising when I hear it

Well I'm not sure what else to ask but basically it does seem to be "just practice bro" Also noch by default is "still" to me unless I have context
It's one of the easiest languages for an English speaker, Swedish is easier due to less genders and more learning materials due to ubiquity however

what norwegian do you like the most? My favourite is the way they speak in finnmark, I've spent some years there and I think it's as beautiful as a germanic language can be. Wholly detest the oslo dialect tho, pure trash

>Swedish is easier due to less genders
Well, if that's how you define ease, sure. It's up to individuals, I think. Some complain about our pronunciation too compared to Norwegian etc.

Attached: hmmmm.png (1609x304, 44K)

Can any PTs or BRs r8 my accent? Been learning for 2 months now.

vocaroo.com/i/s00705TdWkfV

Sorry, I was saying this all from memory so it's probably grammatically wrong as well.

I only have experience with Swedish but and I will attest to pronunciation being confusing and obnoxious. Grammar is easy even if harder than Norwegian/Danish, the main reason I stopped learning is I covered the grammar too quickly and got bored.

Somebody give me some clarity so that I can sleep in peace:
Assuming both cultures interest me, is Russian or Mandarin a better investment assuming both languages need a ton of time

Russian is FAR easier (not to say it's easy) and you'll actually be able to use it online, you'll almost never use Mandarin outside of living in China. Even the Cyrillic script is worth learning regardless of Russian, you'll be able to read a lot of signs and such just due to loanwords