Why do Americans say what state they're from instead of country when asked where they're from...

Why do Americans say what state they're from instead of country when asked where they're from? I've never heard of any other country doing this. This isn't just limited to this, even on Wikipedia articles you'll have lists of countries for something and then random U.S. states sprinkled in.

>because the U.S. is so big!
So is Russia, China, Canada, etc.

Attached: 145522373901_25.png (472x624, 269K)

rent free

outdated meme

KAG KAG KAG

Attached: 81IwvEDyOnL._SX425_[1].jpg (425x374, 22K)

They don't. Would be more interesting if they really did though.

Australians should say what state their from.

Sounds like a hacking cough or a dock choking on a bone...
They really missed it with the acronym this time.

Wtf this is so fucking cringe.

Attached: 7f0941c6d0c77d09140ea8e7ddeed7ed.jpg (236x151, 7K)

Chinese people do that. Canadians don’t because they have a pathetic 1/10th of our population

I'm from the United States and have spent most of the past six years in India. I've also traveled to around 45 other countries.

Whenever people ask me where I'm from, I make a point to say "the United States." And--almost immediately--whoever I'm talking to will look at me like I'm an idiot, adding, "Yeah, but where?" It happens constantly and almost without exception.

I still think it's important to give one's country name first, but you fuckers always ask about the state even if we don't open with it.

>me to every Euro girl on Tinder
>“The US”
>“Where in the US?? :D"

Like clockwork. Think the state thing is a meme. And Euros care more than Americans care to say.

Because here in America, each state literally has its own culture and territory. Also, it makes sense when another American asks us where we're from.

It's honestly no different that a one British person asking another British person where they're from only to get a city or a province as a response.

>I've never heard of any other country doing this

Lol, I see Australians doing it all the time, I even know these three-letter abbreviations of Australian states because Australians add them everywhere they introduce themselves.

Never seen Canadians doing it though.

When talking to other Americans it's assumed that you're from the United States. So obviously the state your from is the answer. In some instances the city/town is more important. But that's only in local circumstances.

When talking to foreigners it's only really done if it's a well known state, as in they have a distinct identity; or if it's relevant to the conversation.

On Jow Forums it's generally said because of the differences between state laws, history, education, etc.

It's different for places like Russia, as a lot of Russia is more or less the same. Same with China. Except for circumstances where say weather is different. Or if they are Tibetans.
Canadians do do this from time to time. But Canadian provinces aren't as distinct as American states.

We sometimes say we’re from south Italy or two sicilies

it's a union of states

I am from Texas and when I am abroad, I never say I am from the US - always; I am from Texas. The only other Americans that say where they are from are Californians and New Yorkers. Nobody gives a shit if you are from Iowa.

You see, even us Euros have to weed out the flyover peasants from the costal crop.

obsessed

Personally, I do not want to associate with the So*th or flyovers

>Where are you from?
>the United States
>Yeah, but where?
>Iowa
>Where is it?
>between South Dakota and Wisconsin
>is it close to New York?
>not at all
>closer to California?
>not really
>whatever, can u giv me a dollar?

>Canadians do do this from time to time. But Canadian provinces aren't as distinct as American states.
excluding qu*bec of course

Also this.
From a strictly legal perspective, the US is de facto just a 50 countries living under the same government

Country as in "a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory."

kys proxyfag

You guys are fucking retarded

There are massive cultural differences from state to state. People think, speak and act differently someone from California is vastly different than someone from north Dakota.

Attached: 1563911134586.jpg (612x612, 65K)

>Why do Americans say what state they're from instead of country when asked where they're from? I've never heard of any other country doing this.
Because no one knows what Queensland is but everyone knows what New York and California are, don't be stupid.

>It's different for places like Russia, as a lot of Russia is more or less the same.

>Americans unironically think their states are so different from each other

Your state hierarchies don't matter to us. Except maybe to teenagers who love California because they believe they will be actors there.

They are. How the fuck would you even know you fuckface

Fucking kek. Exactly.

>Where are you from?
>the United States
>Yeah, but where?
>Michigan. Do you know it?
>Yeah...
>Where is it?
>Uh... it's near Texas, right? California?
>No
>Oh, okay. I have a cousin living in New Jersey. First time in India?

Kek, ok even though Minnesota has a bunch of Nordic genes, Wisconsin is German, etc. Flyover es blanco.

Clearly Lt. Ramirez and why should I kms?

I just say that I am a PROUD CHICANO from AZTLAN. vete a la chingada gringo de mierda

Attached: 1538382928323.jpg (639x640, 105K)

>Americans unironically think their states are so different from each other
We don't but non-Jow Forums browsing foreigners think so. I met several yuros who unironically thought everyone in New York, including Upstate which is pretty much the South with snow, lived liked they do in Friends.

stfu lt

A lot of states are similar. (Maine, Vermont, Wisconsin, Illinois, New York)
A lot are similar to specific other states. (Nevada, Texas, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Oregon, California)
A handful are extremely different than the rest. (Hawaii, Alaska)

On the contrary.
A lot of Russia, I don't say all on purpose, is more or less just an extension of Moscow culturally.
China is same way, but rather Han than Beijing.

Based vato

two states where people speak the same language, look the same, live in the same mcmansions, watch the same tv shows, listen to the same music and read the same books can't be different

Euro teens are a total copy of ours. Seriously. Sorry for letting our filthy culture infect you all.

So Scotland and England are not different?

They're not unless you're the 1% who live traditional lives like lobster fishermen in Maine or a ranch hand in Montana. Most Americans live in suburbia which is indistinguishable state-to-state besides the weather.

Eyyyy guey, vato! Eyyy vato! You wan' sum mayyn!
Scum

Americans don't even think they have anything in common with a neighboring town or even a person that lives down the street

>A lot of Russia, I don't say all on purpose, is more or less just an extension of Moscow culturally.

What does it even mean? Do you want to say that Chechnya, Tuva, Chukotka and Karelia are all the same like Moscow? But suddenly Alaska and Texas are nothing like New York?

>I met several yuros who unironically thought everyone in New York, including Upstate which is pretty much the South with snow, lived liked they do in Friends.
yuropoor education btw

Americans shop at they same stores, eat at the same restaurant chains. They speak the same language and watch the same TV shows. Virtually all American cities except for a few exceptions because of their distinct colonial and European history lack any unique character whatsoever and are completely interchangable to the outsider. The proposition that American states are as culturally foreign to each other as to foreign states is ridiculous and laughable by all accounts.

from the continental European perspective - not at all

But at least Scots have their different language. They don't really speak it but they have it. Americans don't.

100% both of you live in some shithole flyover state that's identical to the one next to it. Alaska and Hawaii are the only states that can really be considered different in day-to-day life.

>So Scotland and England are not different?

I tell you a secret - people here often call all people from the UK just "English" and no one gives a fuck here if you're Scottish, Welsh, Norn Irish, South Irish or whatever.

Of course, Scots get extremely butthurt for that, but it does happen very often.

same can be said for germany desu

tell those fucks its the one that looks like a mitten.

Nah, he's right. Yes, the United States has distinct regional differences and its own sub-cultures, but the variance isn't nearly as drastic as it is in many other places. Here in India, you cross state borders and end up with a different majority language, different alphabet, different food, different political history and, in some cases, different predominant religion.

I took a 5,000-km motorcycle trip around the Midwest, Northeast and New England in May. Yeah, shit's different from state to state, but even comparing the upper regions with the Southwest--California, Nevada, whatever--I've never felt "shocked" in the United States.by regional differences, geography aside.

No one is implying the contrary

>We're Slavs
>There's no difference
I bet you Polish would get really pissed off it everyone starting calling you "Catholic Russians" huh?

>What does it even mean? Do you want to say that Chechnya, Tuva, Chukotka and Karelia are all the same like Moscow?
Hence "I don't say all on purpose". But those regions are minority regions. I'm referring to the majority.

>But suddenly Alaska and Texas are nothing like New York?
New York is an ultra-urban society with relatively little in the way of rural life.
Texas is society that is somewhat urban, but still largely rural. With distinct ethnic, cultural, and historical differences than any other state than Oklahoma, and to a lesser extent, New Mexico.
Alaska is completely different, culturally, historically, etc. from any other state in the Union.

>100% both of you live in some shithole flyover state that's identical to the one next to it.
Blatant lie.
Only stereotypical states are like that. And these are mostly found in New England and Midwest.
Virginia has a distinct culture, history, etc. from North Carolina and Maryland.
West Virginia and Kentucky don't really count considering they used to be apart of Virginia.

>I tell you a secret - people here often call all people from the UK just "English" and no one gives a fuck here if you're Scottish, Welsh, Norn Irish, South Irish or whatever.
So you lie

Germans don't mention their state everytime they introduce themselves.

Except that Germans don't go around claiming that Bavaria and Berlin are as distant to each other as France to Germany.

that doesn't make my statement wrong

I guess your right

>Virginia
Called it
The suburbs in your flyover state are just like suburbs in Georgia or any of those other flyovers you mentioned. If it wasn't for the government Virginia would be nothing.

There's not necessarily a state divide but more of a regional one. Many clusters of states are similar but each group of clusters is very different from others. For example the Midwest is one group of clusters that's very different from the Southern clusters. People specify what state they're from because very few people form an identity from a region except the south. States themselves DO have an identity because of meme sports teams and state level laws that can influence the population's culture. That's why people are comfortable telling you what state they're from

I live in Georgia. If I introduced myself as Georgian it'd just cause confusion. On American sites and other places that are predominantly American, it'd be idiotic for 95% of the user-base to identify themselves as American. Some people on twitter/ect. are still not used to assuming someone isn't American online.

sure, but people do it, because for them there's little difference despite different languages, religions, etc., so how can you say Americans are so different if they don't even speak different languages?

>New York is an ultra-urban society with relatively little in the way of rural life.
>Texas is society that is somewhat urban, but still largely rural. With distinct ethnic, cultural, and historical differences than any other state than Oklahoma, and to a lesser extent, New Mexico.
>Alaska is completely different, culturally, historically, etc. from any other state in the Union.

I can say exactly the same about Russian regions, even the major one.

Moscow is an ultra-urban society with relatively little in the way of rural life.

Volga region is society that is somewhat urban, but still largely rural. With distinct ethnic, cultural, and historical differences than any other state.

Chechnya is completely different, culturally, historically, etc. from any other state in the Union.

So what precisely are foreigners trying to get out of this thread?
Are you trying to argue that Americans have no distinct cultures?
This is blatantly untrue.

Are you trying to argue that Americans shouldn't introduce themselves by their state?
This is not ever going to happen because it's what we grow up referring to ourselves as.

What the fuck are you trying to get out of this thread.

You don't know shit about this state
I was born in Georgia, and have spent significant time there.
But I live in Virginia.

There are drastic differences.

Americans very rarely leave the country and mentioning our region is alright if we're talking to Canadians or Mexicans, we know their provinces too. Our three countries here in North America are big places, so just mentioning the country itself really isn't enough. In countrylet continents like Europe it makes more sense to just mention your country.

The south with snow.
Sounds so awesome. Sign me up.

>I can say exactly the same about Russian regions, even the major one.
Okay then. I was wrong.
I just don't know enough about Russia.

Besides a few autists on Jow Forums no foreigner knows or cares about your state unless it's a "cool" state like California/New York or an "interesting" state like Alaska/Hawaii/Texas (foreigners think Texans are cowboys)

No it humid in the south, very unpleasant

>Mexicans, we know their provinces too. Our three countries here
Who the fuck knows all of the Mexican states?
I can name like three.

>So you lie

I don't. Maybe it's hard to believe, but British culture is not as common here because most of Poles don't speak English and we don't know as much about the UK as Americans do, so we simplify things to an extent that is unbelievable to you. But you do the same about Eastern Europe, for instance.

The south with snow* and none of the charm and history of the south

I live In California, I know all of them just by talking to CHIs

t.never left his soyboy state

Most forgieners I've met know more geographically about America than Americans.

I would give my left nut to magically switch the bolsheviks on the west coast to the South and us Southerners to the west coast.

>I don't.
It is very much a lie to refer to a person from a different country as being from X country.

I'm not questioning why you do so; this is just the very definition of a lie.

Which US state is the most underrated?

California, New York, Alaska, Hawaii, Texas are excluded

Virginia or Pennsylvania if you like history
West Virginia or Idaho if you like nature

>so just mentioning the country itself really isn't enough.

in 99% of cases when you're talking to non-Americans it is

Do you think I will behave in a different way if an American tourist tells me he's from Texas, North Dakota or Oregon? The only piece of information I need is whether he speaks English (which is taken for granted if he reveals he's American) so I could speak this language to him, that's all. I have no idea of that 'distinct' culture of Oregon or Virginia or whatever and all I know about Texas is that they like guns, I know more about differences between German states than American ones.

Florida feels like a whole other country desu

Ok, so it is very much a lie to refer to an American from another state as a person from a different cultural background if he speaks the same language, looks the same, watches the same TV shows etc.

kill yourself flyover
Washington state given that it has soiboi city life surrounded by hick towns that feel like Kentucky, best of both worlds

No, but it's just something that we automatically do. If i'm talking to a Canadian he'll tell me that he's from Alberta for instance, not just Canada. That mentality doesn't change when we visit other continents.

Why are you still responding to that retard?

>I just don't know enough about Russia.

I think if Americans knew more about the world it would help them to understand their states are actually all the same and the 'differences' are mostly negligible.

Florida is overated for being some crazy trash hole. There's actually really great beaches and it's calm. Used to go with my grandparents out on a boat and find our own little island to hang on for the day, not another person in sight. The hurricanes and constant rain just suck.

That being said, I can't imagine many Americans that have thoroughly visited even 5 states, so it's hard to compare 50 states apart from tourist spots.

>in 99% of cases when you're talking to non-Americans it is
He is referring to North Americans user.
Most North Americans (as in Canada, Mexico, and USA) are the same in the sense that they associate with their state rather than country.

And most people, that have cursory education, can name a okay amount of the states of the other two countries

>Ok, so it is very much a lie to refer to an American from another state as a person from a different cultural background if he speaks the same language, looks the same, watches the same TV shows etc.
The definition of culture is "the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group." Make your own decision. I'm getting tired of this thread frankly.

Whatever honestly.

Most Americans can't place France on a map

>Virginia has a distinct culture, history, etc. from North Carolina and Maryland.

This is true, but the cultural differences aren't nearly as pronounced as you're making them seem. An American from Michigan, California or Oregon can easily adjust to life in Virginia, Maryland or North Carolina. Perhaps they might be taken aback by some regional idiosyncrasies, but they'd still be speaking the same language, seeing the same chain restaurants and navigating similar systems of rule and governance.

If I take a quick train several hours southwest from my current location, I'll be in a state which uses a completely different language and alphabet (derived from a different language family, to boot). Fuck--even a few hours north of here, there are a plethora of indigenous tribes that live drastically different lives than ordinary urban-dwellers (and please don't compare it to the rural-urban divide in the United States--I'm talking about people without running water, electricity, or access to motorable roads, many of whom believe in witchcraft, magic and powerful spirits).

India's obviously a special case, but you see similar gaps between smaller counties in other parts of the world, too.

The U.S. is a really big, really cool country (in some respects), but I think most foreigners are likely to be more impressed by the vast expanses of pristine nature than they are by "cultural differences." Many of my immigrant friends in the U.S. actually joke about how comically homogeneous the United States is.

>Arguing with an American
Even we don't do that, they're like the pirahnas of bait

He's not making this up

Minnesota

Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Eastern Washington are very beautiful.

>northern nomadic herders are the same as southern rice paddy farmers
>northern tibetan buddhism is the same as southern folk religion
>western mountain muslims are the same as coastal fishermen

Attached: china-ethnic-population.jpg (2500x1630, 961K)

I don't have any horse in this race, but you know this is either bait or you yourself haven't done your research.

>my state was created 150 years ago with random borders drawn on a map with a ruler by a bunch of politicians and generals in Washington who have never been in that territory

>yes, I have such a distinct identity, almost like West African made up nations do

Why is India so diverse like that?

>Whatever honestly.
I can't imagine how insufferable you must be in real life

every state has its own unique culture, it's pretty subtle and you probably wouldn't notice if you visited each state once, but spend enough time and you'll begin to understand why americans say their state instead of their country a lot of the time.
it's like portugal and spain or france and belgium, the difference is subtle a lot of the time but if you're keen you'll notice, and it's pretty profound.

It's a fake country like Iraq

The South and North are very different. Regions' states are similar to each other but regions are very distinct in the US. New England is waaaay different than the bible belt.

Why is Europe so diverse?

Attached: map-of-europe.gif (1000x850, 155K)

butthurt