/lang/ - language learning general

Cursed alarm clock edition
>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Ithkuil
>What language should I learn?
Kay(f)Bop(t)
old thread old challenge

Attached: _HrqNAkZVfU.jpg (990x1319, 278K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steen.free.fr/interslavic/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=NztgXMLwv4A
youtube.com/watch?v=AjZB9DL7OR4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

h-hewwo?

Anyone else like the website Omniglot? Some of the pages need to be updated but overall it's not a bad source IMHO

People who speak a Slavic language, how much of the Medžuslovjansky jezyk (Interslavic language) do you understand?
steen.free.fr/interslavic/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=NztgXMLwv4A

It's okay but I'm not sure if I should trust their translations. Their Scots is not great.
Omnimong Scots
Aw human sowels is born free and equal in dignity and richts. They are tochered wi mense and conscience and shuld guide theirsels ane til ither in a speirit o britherheid.

Scots
Aa humain sauls ar born free and maik in mense and richts. Thai ar tochirit wi mense and conschiance and suid gyde theirsels ane til ither in a speirit o britherheid.

Maybe it's a different dialect, or maybe he just used different resources. I think it's run by either one guy or a small team, and they rely a lot on donations for funding.

>64 minutes on Anki

>sowels is born
Nah. They aren't using correct forms of verbs. This is just mong tier.

NOT
A
REAL
LANGUAGE

Watched 7 mins, got pretty much of all of it

I speak decent Russian and beginner Polish, can get at least 80%. I would attribute the remaining 20% to my own shortcomings in Russian.

>Gaels? I remember exterminating them.

Attached: 1508404057658.png (500x500, 107K)

Lel spotted latino-slavo-something-something loanwords that are used in Romanian.

This Gaels are evil.

Learning german now. Like it

Attached: 1536781591343.jpg (1387x702, 85K)

Understood about 85%

If I wanted to gigachadshitpost in french would it be "Quoi, bien sûr..." ?

>German? Don't you mean Eastern Scots?

Attached: 66f.jpg (1242x1394, 92K)

Language challenge

Easy
> Leif Eiriksson's birthday is in October.
> Happy birthday, Leif!
> Shrimp tastes good.
> Do you want to go to the party?
> Yes, when is it?

Medium
> I am so excited for the Leif Eiriksson Shrimp Boil.
> Leif traveled to America before Christopher Columbus.
> He and the other Vikings liked eating shrimp.
> "Do you guys want some shrimp cocktails?" Leif asked the sailors.

Hard
> The Shrimp Boil will serve all sorts of delicacies, such as: baked shrimp, fried shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp cake, and shrimp ice cream.
> Everyone is welcome to come, unless you have an allergy to shrimp.
> Vegetarians can eat non-shrimp food items like bread and ... uh, water, I guess.
> Butter dripping down the sides of his arms, he popped another fried shrimp into his mouth.

Made me chuckle

that's a poor translation!

imo a good rule to not get over-zealous with anki is to limit it to 1/3 of your study time. If you study actively for an hour you should only be doing anki for 20 minutes.

its one of the best tools for language learning but it can also become a hinderance if not utilized correctly. at least that is my experiennce.

What unpopular languages have you tried learning?

what would you say classifies as unpopular?

The Leif Eiriksson Shrimp Boil is a real event in Texas, hosted the Texas Norwegian society. I took Norwegian classes from them

Language challenge

Easy
> Leif Eiriksson's birthday is in October.
> Happy birthday, Leif!
> Screws tastes guid.
> Dae ye want to gae tae the pairty?
> Yea, whan is it?

Medium
> I am sae flochtit for the Leif Eiriksson screws byle.
> Leif travelit tae America afore Christopher Columbus, phonesians afore him.
> He and the ither Nordman fainit aiting screws.
> "Do ye want some screws bouss?" Leif axed the tauries.

Hard
> The screw byle will ser aa shedds o perfit-scran, siclic: bakit screw, fried screws, screw soup, screw cake, and screw ise ream.
> Ilkane is walcom to com, binna ye hae an ugg tae screws.
> Undermen can ait screwna scran things like breid and …
> Smirr draps doun the sides o his airms, he primed anither fried screw intae his mou.

Scots
Yeah, but I haven't used it in a few days so I will catch up.

That ordinary people never heard of

Is Scots your first foreign language? What did you do in your life before you started to learn it?

Is he really speaking Scots or is he just typing English with a funny Scottish accent

hmm aramaic id say
the book i wanted got lost in shipping and i didnt find any local sources so i gave up eventually

It is just English with a funny Scottish accent. That autist is trying to claim that it's a legitimate language.

Facile
>L'anniversaire de Leif Eiriksson est en octobre
>Joyeux anniversaire, Leif!
>Les crevettes sont délicieux
>Veux-tu aller à la fête?
>Oui, c'est quand?

Intermédiaire
>Je suis si excité de voir le Festival des Crevettes Bouilles de Leif Eiriksson
>Leif est arrivé en Amerique avant que Christophe Colomb
>Lui et les autres vikings aimaient bien manger des crevettes
>"Voulez-vous un peu de cocktail de crevettes?" demanda Leif aux marins

Difficile
>Le Festival des Crevettes Bouilles servira toutes sortes de délices, comme: crevettes cuit au four, crevettes frits, soupe de crevettes, tourte aux crevettes et crème glacée aux crevettes
>Tout le monde est bienvenu a venir, au moin qu'on est allergique aux crevettes
>Les vegetariens peuvent manger de la nourriture sans crevettes, comme du pain et... uh, l'eau, je suppose
>Avec le beurre qui coulait le long de ses bras, il mit une autre crevette dans sa bouche

>Je suis si excité
Are you sure that “si” can be used that way? I thought it just meant “if” and only used at the start of a clause.

I've read "Je suis si X" many times, so i'm pretty sure about it

This is sad.

Tu as le gay.

Alrighty. Are the memes true? Are french and italian very similar to each other?

non tu

I've studied both (more French though) and the grammar has a lot in common.

Yes, they're similar languages and knowing one helps a lot with learning the other, although it doesn't make it 100% automatic

>there are people learning Japanese enough to speak and watch anime in 18 month
>mfw I am still A2 in German after 20 months

Attached: 1550680845881.jpg (393x474, 29K)

It depends on how much time you spend on the language daily and how efficiently you learn it (i.e. using stuff like Anki and consuming native media or not)

>fall in love with this hoe watching Berlin Berlin
>find out she is married to a turk irl

REEE i can't watch anymore

Attached: 1542730939226.png (1176x634, 1.02M)

Leif Eiriksson ma urodziny w październiku
Wszystkiego najlepszego, Leifie
Krewetki dobrze smakują
Chcesz pójść na imprezę?
Tak, kiedy zaczyna się? --- Tak, kiedy to jest?

Tak się cieszę na gotowane krewetki Leifa Eirokssona
Leif dotarł do Ameryki przed Krzysztofem Kolumbem
On i reszta wikingów lubili jeść krewetki
Leif zapytał żeglarzy: "Chcecie krewetki koktajlowe"?

Yeah. For me I spent the first 3 months just doing duolingo. Then the next 6 months were spent learning how to learn and trying many things.

Maybe, but since I'm lazy it will take 20 months.
Also think about it this way, even if it takes you 6 years to become fluent in German that is still faster than how long a child takes.

>that is still faster than how long a child takes.
that's a good point.

I recently pulled out an old Kobo e-reader and put some german books on it. Hopefully it helps move things along, but so far ive noticed that the german dictionary is pretty bad.

There are no Germans around you.

Wait I realize Shrimp Boil is a name.

"Shrimp Boil" będzie serwował takie delikatesy jak: Pieczone krewetki, smażone krewetki, zupa z krewetek, krewetkowy ciasto i lody z krewetkami
Wszyscy są mile widziani, jeśli nie mają alergii na krewetki
Wegetarianie mogą jeść niekrewetkowe jedzenie, jak na przykład... chleb i pić wodę, tak sądzę

Wait I realize Shrimp Boil is a name.

"Shrimp Boil" będzie serwował takie delikatesy jak: Pieczone krewetki, smażone krewetki, zupa z krewetek, krewetkowe ciasto i lody z krewetkami
Wszyscy są mile widziani, jeśli nie mają alergii na krewetki
Wegetarianie mogą jeść niekrewetkowe jedzenie, jak na przykład... chleb i pić wodę, tak sądzę

>Easy
>> Leif Eiriksson's birthday is in October.
дeнь poждeния лиф Эpикcoнa в oктябpe
>> Happy birthday, Leif!
cчacтливый дeнь poждeния, лиф!
>> Shrimp tastes good.
кpeвeтки вкycныe.
>> Do you want to go to the party?
ты хoчeшь идти в тycoвкy?
>> Yes, when is it?
дa, oнa в кoтopoм чacy?
>Medium
>> I am so excited for the Leif Eiriksson Shrimp Boil.

>> Leif traveled to America before Christopher Columbus.
лиф eздил в Aмepикy paньшe Хpиcтoфopa кoлyмбa
>> He and the other Vikings liked eating shrimp.
oни c викингaм любили ecть кpeвeтки
>> "Do you guys want some shrimp cocktails?" Leif asked the sailors.
- вы хoтитe нecкoлькo кpeвeтoчных кoктeйлeй - cпpocил лиф мopякaм.

I used to use it for learning other writing systems. It's a good resource.

>cчacтливый дeнь poждeния, лиф!
C Днeм poждeния, Лиф!
>ты хoчeшь идти в тycoвкy?
Хoчeшь пoйти нa тycoвкy?
>дa, oнa в кoтopoм чacy?
Пpaвильнo, мoжнo пpoщe "Дa, кoгдa oнa?"
>- вы хoтитe нecкoлькo кpeвeтoчных кoктeйлeй - cпpocил лиф мopякaм.
Bы хoтитe нecкoлькo кpeвeтoчных кoктeйлeй, cпpocил Лиф y мopякoв

Pretty good, fren

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

Your point being?

does anyone have that eternal begginer pic which i sometimes see in the /lang/'s OP?

Here.

Attached: 36.jpg (1275x1800, 760K)

I have so many thinking emojis to give about this.

I never meant to post that but that's based.
Guy is kidnapped and made pet of her.

i meant that one with a latin sentence(?)

I don't think it does.
To help you remember
.given to her as a present
.she keeps him
.rapes him
.then maybe hurts family(not confirmed but police look for him)

youtube.com/watch?v=AjZB9DL7OR4

polyglots btfo!

If there is a need to speak N-many languages will depend per person, you can't really make a statement like that.
Don't really get the last point "X clearly speaks like a foreigner" is this with regards to cho..ice of words or accent?

>Il compleanno di Leif Eriksson è in ottobre
>Buon compleanno, Leif
>Il gamberetto gusta buono
>Vuoi andare alla festa?
>Si. Quand'è?

>Sono così emozionato per il [retarded shit]
>Autisto ha viaggiato a America prima Christopher Columbus
>Lui e il altro vichinghe gli piacevano mangiare il gamberetto
>Volete alcune cocktail di gamberetti? Ritardato ha chiesto i marinai

>Il compleanno di Leif Eriksson è in ottobre
"ad ottobre"
>Il gamberetto gusta buono
We don't use the verb gustare that way
Just say "I gamberetti sono buoni"
>ha viaggiato a America prima Christopher Columbus
"in America"
Also, the name is Cristoforo Colombo in italian
>Lui e il altro vichinghe gli piacevano mangiare il gamberetto
First of all, the people who like shrimps are indirect objects, so they need the preposition "a"
"A lui e agli altri vichinghi"
"gli" stands for "a lui", but since we already said that we don't need it here
Finally, the subject ("mangiare gamberetti") is singular, so the verb is to be singular too
So, putting all this together the correct form is "A lui e agli altri vichinghi piaceva mangiare gamberetti"
>Volete alcune cocktail di gamberetti? Ritardato ha chiesto i marinai
"alcuni cocktail di gamberetti", but it still sounds wonky. "dei cocktail di gamberetti" sounds better
"ha chiesto ai marinai"

Grazie ragazzo. When do you generally use 'ad' and 'agli'? I've not encountered them much so far

He does not dissuade someone from becoming trilingual though, which is what I want.

"ad" is for when the next word begins with a vowel
"agli" is a + gli, most prepositions merge with the determinate article when they are next to each other, check out pick related for all the combinations

Attached: preposizioni_articolate.png (633x808, 17K)

Can I get this book cover translated to english please?

Attached: BCC86872-B2D0-4996-97E0-9471CB3AFA5A.jpg (4032x3024, 1.89M)

pic*

Attached: DF9ADAD3-C2B9-487C-BC74-543D3EC6ACB9.jpg (2898x3848, 3.7M)

Is he at least a integrated German-Turk or did they name their kids Ahmed and Jahan and Zeheb?

I found out that she has two children and is a single mother. The first child is white, from a white bf and then he left her. Then she dated the Turk for a few years and then they broke up. Then she becomes pregnant with a second child, but she won't say who the father is.

Damn wtf is wrong with Deutsch Mädels

why would it be better if turks called themselves Johann or Thomas...? thats a lot worse and id be weirded out

>tfw in the promotion zone

LOL

Attached: 1566119895108.png (512x512, 384K)

michel thomas is a meme

Attached: 1525177307914.png (640x461, 217K)

>tfw in top 3
I hope that fucking Uschi doesn't gain on me in the next 45 minutes

Attached: 1566169969293.jpg (1080x1920, 378K)

Esperanto speakers, what do you think about Lingua Franca Nova/Elefen? Esperanto takes words mostly from Romance and Germanic languages since taking words from all languages would only make it harder for everyone to learn, but what do you think about their approach of only taking words from Romance languages, and using the equivalent of mal- (non-) for fewer words?

How do you go about learning a language whose alphabet is different from yours (like Russian, Georgian, Arabic, Japanese, etc.)? My only experience with learning languages has been with those that share my alphabet.

it takes maybe a day to learn a new alphabet, but reading it will be slow for quite a long time.

With Russian, learning the Alphabet is the easy part. Hebrew is easier than you'd think though.

If I switch my phone to one of these languages, how will it affect how I type? Will it give me a whole new keyboard?

It's actually very easy to learn alphabets like the Russian one which can be done in a few days if not a single afternoon. Abjads are a bit harder to get used to but they also turn out to be the easiest aspect of your respective target language. However logographics like Japanese Kanji are probably the hardest writing system on the planet and will take thousands of hours to master.

When I was in beginners German class, we all "Germanfied" our names during class time. I remember that John became Johann and Lizzie became Lena

>tfw in sapphire league now
Feels good to be smart

i think in the case of Lizzie this should generally be done, also outside of class. imagine being called """Lizzie""", what is she? a cartoon character?

It's a nickname for Elizabeth, Hans. Fun fact, the queen of England is a German named Lizzie

thats very gross, i dont like it

>Lizzie became Lena
But Lizzie is Elisabeth.

You can literally name your child anything in Burgerland.

Lena is short for Magdalena or Helena though, not for Elisabeth.
Also the bitch married a Greek prince from German descent, she isn't German herself. Get your facts right at least.

"Ouais j'étudie le français. Comment tu l'as deviné ?

if youre still here i can do it

Gotta do my Duolingo before midnight

bump

For me, it's Latin

Attached: 1566078662630.png (1280x640, 1.16M)

>what do you think about Lingua Franca Nova/Elefen?
Know nothing about them desu. As far as "international" languages go, those are probably the least popular.
>what do you think about their approach of only taking words from Romance languages, and using the equivalent of mal- (non-) for fewer words?
I've never really studied any languages like that, but as far as an attempt to be universal, I don't think it's any more effective than Esperanto using only european words. It's definitely easier for those who speak a romance language.

fundatus et rubeuspillulatus