Good evening Jow Forums

Good evening Jow Forums

Today I will introduce you to Lithuanian cuisine

Attached: 9b8dc56a76ebcb6010cecc0c5d16512a53a9b147.jpg (1180x654, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_wings
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Our cuisine is influenced by Nordic, German, Jewish, Muslim and Slavic cuisines. We also had both way influence with french cuisine (for example, Escargo was introduced here in 16th century by french chefs).

One of the main staples of Lithuanian cuisine is Cepelinai, named after it's shape (Zeppelin). It is big dumplings made from starched potatoes filled with (traditionally) minced pork meat and onions, with sour cream and greaves (bacon bits with starch) on the side. It is sometimes served with cottage cheese, mushroom, beef/chicken, carrot or pate filling.

Attached: 8654744417_754c3bba9d_b.jpg (1024x768, 158K)

One of the tastiest dishes for summer is our cold soup saltibarsciai (cold beetroot soup).

It is made from sour milk with beets, eggs, dills, cucumbers and various other vegetables, depending on the recipe.
It's served with either boiled or fried potatoes, you can eat whole pot of it in the summer.

Attached: depositphotos_225660970-stock-photo-lithuanian-cold-beet-soup-saltibarsciai.jpg (1600x1168, 190K)

One of our most popular desserts are sakotis, meaning tree cake. It was heavily influence by German Bankuchen.

It is dry cake on which batter is spilled while it's spinning over fire, thus giving it spikes. Sometimes it is poured with chocolate or jams.
You do not need tools to eat it. Traditionally, it's social activity to eat Sakotis, and you just have to break off pieces from the cake yourself.

Attached: 291.jpg (1000x1000, 205K)

One of the most popular dishes, with hometown of Trakai, is Kibinai. It is traditionally made by our Karaite minorities in castle - island city of Trakai.
It is pastries with veal,chicken or beef meat inside of them. Usually it is served with either chicken broth, various tomato based sauces or as it's own.

Attached: 15793.jpg (743x573, 90K)

Another popular desert here is simtalapis (thousand sheets cake)
Introduced to Lithuania with Tatars brought by Vytautas the Great and modified locally, is made from laminated dough which is separated with layer of melted butter - the principle is very similar to that of croissant.

Attached: 1200px-Perpjautas_šimtalapis.jpg (1200x900, 175K)

Kugelis, also known as bulvių plokštainis ("potato pudding"), is a potato dish from potatoes, bacon, milk, onions, and eggs are seasoned with salt and pepper and flavoured, for example with bay leaves and/or marjoram, then oven-baked. It is usually eaten with apple jam, lingonberry preserve, sour cream, or pork rind and diced onions. It is very similar to traditional Jewish Kugel (and also brought by them)

forgot pic

Attached: 1024px-Kugelis_2012.jpg (1024x768, 132K)

Skilandis is a Lithuanian matured sausage made of meat, fat, salt, pepper and garlic. The ground meat is traditionally pressed into a pig's stomach or bladder, but today may be contained in other skins. The sausage is dried and cold-smoked. Skilandis dates back to at least the 16th century - the word skilandis is referred to in documents from various locations across the Grand Duchy of Lithuania as early as in the 16th-18th centuries.

Attached: Skilandis2.jpg (600x596, 68K)

Šaltnosiukai (cold little noses) - dumplings filled with lingonberries, not found anywhere outside Lithuania. Usually served with different jams or sour cream.

Attached: 16518.jpg (920x573, 96K)

Kastinys - sour cream "butter"; sour cream is kneaded and washed until it forms a soft spread. A traditional dish in Samogitia. It is usually put on sandwiches or eaten with potatoes

Attached: niederlitauisches_gericht_aus_schmand_kastinys.jpg (1920x1080, 193K)

good thread

Should I continue?

By all means please continue. Lovely thread. Do you mind if I post the collected images of Swedish and Finnish cuisine that I saved? Just to show the similarities.

Attached: Swedish food.png (800x2435, 3.8M)

Here's the Finnish food image. I think all countries around the Baltic have similar food culture in some ways.

Attached: Finnish food.jpg (2671x4267, 3.02M)

These dishes remind me of home.
They are made here as well with some variations.
By the way, do you guys make mead like we do? It's our shared heritage after all.

For those that don't know :
Midus is said to be the most ancient Lithuanian alcoholic beverage; it is a variety of mead made from honey. Balts were making midus for thousands of years. One of the first mentionings of Balts and mead was by the 9th-century traveller Wulfstan of Hedeby, who visited Prussians. Old Lithuanian mead was made from a solution of honey and water simmered with various spices, such as thyme, lemon, cinnamon, cherries, linden blossoms, juniper berries, and hops. Oldest recipe of Lithuanian midus was recorded in a book by Olaus Magnus Historia de Gentibus Septentrionalibus, published in Rome in 1555.Midus was considered a drink of nobleman and gentry. Since 16th century midus started to compete with imported vine, but it was known and was still very popular in Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania. Today Midus is produced by several companies and is to be found in majority of liquor shops. Craft mead producing is also becoming popular.

Attached: stakliskes.png (1200x1234, 1.5M)

Svekolnik
Khvorost
Pirozhki
Karavai
Zapekanka
Vareniki
Smetana

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know exactly how we make our mead, I just know it's often made with honey. I think I've only had mead once or twice in my life.

Attached: Surströmming.jpg (500x750, 157K)

>Khvorost
no, it is a cake while khvorost is more similar to croissants
>pirozhki
Again, no, different batter is used and kibinai is bigger.
>zapekanka
it's literally jewish kugel
>vareniki
you don't make them with lingoberries
>smetana
No, smetana is just sour cream, while kastinys is entirely different sauce

Never seen 12% mead it's always 1-3% here

Sad, it's one of the better alcoholic drinks. We make mead even up to 75 percent ones !
We have mead bars as well.
I personally like Suktinis (folk dance) mead, it's 50 percent with some taste of blueberries.

Attached: UT896G_XB4aXXagOFbXc.jpg (320x480, 37K)

naturally, it goes up to 23 percent organically, to make it further stronger you need to fortify it
We make 75 percent mead balsam here

Attached: senoji-trobele.jpg (338x450, 34K)

looks tasty, can hardly find any mead around here

It's very sweet, akin to wine but sweeter. Ladies love this one, it's 14 percent

Attached: 595f5029cfcf8970c5217cae9cd592aa_640x640.jpg (640x640, 99K)

this shit tastes like cardboard

>similar to croissants
Nothing in common
>you don't make them with lingoberries
We do in the north, ural and far east
>kibinai is bigger
Bigger pirozhki are just pirogi

Well, it's not eaten on it's own
>Nothing in common
More similar in shape and texture, though
>We do in the north, ural and far east
Didn't knew that, nice to hear.
>Bigger pirozhki are just pirogi
But is it the same?
>Kibinai, Kybyn; Kibin (singular in Lithuanian: kibinas) are traditional pastries filled with mutton and onion, popular with Karaite ethnic minority in Lithuania.[1] As everything Karaite in Lithuania, they are mostly associated with the city of Trakai.[2] English-language travel guides compare them to Cornish pasties.[3] Initially, they come from Crimea from where the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas the Great took Tatar and Karaite families to become their guards in order to thank them for their help during his fight against the Golden Horde.

How is surmstroming ? I heard there is a special way to eat it. Is it like pic related?

>More similar in shape and texture, though
Maybe the tatar khvorost, they make it thin

Attached: 00019265.jpg (870x480, 72K)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_wings