/lang/ - language learning general

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Shitpost about your target language!
>Record vocaroos!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit, realize it doesn't help, ask the thread and get told to read the wiki!:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Free chainlink!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of scripts that ddos duolingo as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua (just one embed)

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Pirate a textbook and practice. For specifics, maybe ask in the thread and say what language you're learning.
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X or acquire a qt gf (male)?
fuck off we're full
>What is the most useful language?
Old Norse
>What language should I learn?
Old English
>What is the cutest language?
Belgian

Attached: we wuz romanz once more.png (830x1047, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ipgFM3c8brU
www2.ac-lyon.fr/ressources/loire/mathematiques/spip.php?article75
bosworthtoller.com/
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/
uibk.ac.at/anglistik/staff/herdina/an-introduction-to-old-english.pdf
archive.org/details/oldenglishgramma00sievrich
b-ok.cc/book/2884211/99cec2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Romanians are Italians

>Old English
Wes hal freond

European niggas be like
>yeah our country is 5x5 centimeters and we have twelve not mutually intelligible dialects

Attached: IMG_8141.png (709x462, 660K)

FUCK I've gotten sloppy at this

Old thred: Old tjallenge: Anons needing corrections:
(Norwegian)
(Spanish)
(Greek, diff challenge)

fuck off

mfw

Attached: 1545606137793.png (1465x1209, 286K)

This man says to you"Gies at catter! I s' gleg dae nou nor whan ye bi wi it. Mak me sist-ye-na."

What do you do?

Attached: gaelremover.jpg (549x863, 91K)

>Could you repeat that please? Slower, and in standard English, if you will.

Does this seem like a reasonable translation?

Wkrótce będzie tu cicho
Wkrótce będzie po wszystkim
Czy zdążyłeś zobaczyć co chciałeś?
Usłyszałeś twojej melodii?

Bez nikogo, zupełnie sama,
Tańczy cyrkowa księżniczka
Zatrzymuje się -- na linie
Przez chwilę bezmyślności
Wkrótce, wkrótce
(Nas nie będzie/Odejdziemy)
Być może spotkamy się znowu

Soon it'll be quiet here
Soon it'll all be over
Did you manage to go see what you wanted to?
Did you get to hear your melody?

Abandoned, all alone,
the circus princess is dancing,
stops -- on the line
For a pointless moment
Soon, soon
We'll be gone
Perhaps we'll see each other again

youtube.com/watch?v=ipgFM3c8brU

Attached: download (2).jpg (1300x553, 231K)

I see, thanks for clarifying! I'll delve into it all some other time.

>cities like Rotterdam and Amsterdam, which both have different dialects itself, no?
Yes, but surprisingly the Randstad accent is *not* based on the city dialects, but instead on the dialects of the surrounding villages.

Best OP ever

Attached: IMG_7882.png (240x241, 10K)

Westú, user, hál

*every language out there is just a dialect of Romanian.

i'll be learning french this october. but i've already lost the enthusiasm for the language bc of the fucking number system. reeeee fuck you frogs.

>Nou, I haunch the grauch an roup the ablach!

Attached: 872.png (680x797, 318K)

>the Randstad accent is *not* based on the city dialects, but instead on the dialects of the surrounding villages.
Ah I see, that makes sense, thanks!
As I said, I've been told that people who live in the suburbs of Utrecht speak the most accent-free version of Dutch.

>Anons needing corrections:
Based, we should do this more often. Maybe in the second post of each thread, we can list the anons needing corrections.

really shitty edit

It is decimal and uses Hindu-Arabic numerals. Why are you complaining?

*Wes þū?

>Daffinae. Onlie ween.

Attached: 64f501db467c44445285591ab8ca8512.jpg (235x283, 16K)

Russian niggas be like
>Everyone speaks Russian or Faggot here, which one do you speak, tovaras?

Just say septante, huitante and nonante. They understand but they get pissy about it.

>Those differences in vocabulary come on top of a bunch differences in grammar, like word order and verb conjugations, and serious differences in pronunciation.
What? I thought there were basically no grammatical differences between Dutch and Flemish, let alone Oost Vlaams and West Vlaams.

Both work

Attached: s.png (806x232, 128K)

кaнцepoгeн

>How do you say 119 in French?
>eh.... dix-dix-dix-dix-dix-dix-dix-dix-dix-dix-cinq-et quatre

Neat.

i have a smol brain, user. i cannot divide and add all the needed numbers everytime i try to say the number.

oh seriously, does it really work that way?

To the old english speaking user from last thread:
How difficult learning it would be, how long it takes someone to become proficient in it to the point of literacy, as well as what your general experience was learning it. I also wanted to get some good grammar books, dictionaries, as well as some beginners material to read if possible.

Belgians use huitante and nonante but not septante, while French Swiss uses septante but not huitante and nonante or something like that. Pretty sure they all understand the different versions of each one since they always try and correct me.

Facile
>Je ne veux pas lutter contre toi
>Je ne peux pas voyager ce weekend
>Ils chantent ma chanson préférée
>Est-ce que tu aimes jouer du sport?

Moyen
>En fait je n'ai pas faim, mais par contre j'ai beaucoup de soif
>Je veux prendre le train plutôt que le bus pour mon voyage d'été, c'est plus pittoresque et plus vite
>En tant que tu es déjà en train de sortir, est-ce que tu pourrais prendre ma médecine à la pharmacie pour moi au retour?
>Les jours de pluie, mon activité préférée est régarder des films en me pletonnant sur le canapé

Difficile
>Cela n'a pas été une situation facile à resoudre, car les deux factions se refusent de coopérer en ce moment
>Si je pourrais te dire seulement une autre chose avant que je m'en vais, ça serait que je t'aime
>Dès que je me suis réveillé ce matin j'ai souri, car j'avais compris qu'aujourd'hui sera une journée merveilleuse
>Ainsi que ne comprendre pas le materiel des courses de l'université, il avait du mal à reussir au lycée aussi

>oh seriously, does it really work that way?
It used to.
Then 60-10, 4 score and 4 score and 10 became in vogue relatively recently.

Here you go, old lad. I made it for you.

Attached: scots gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 117K)

あのスコットランド人。。。
あいつは本当のバカだ。

Attached: 1566914025688.jpg (256x256, 20K)

should i ty to learn icelandic? i'm pretty good at norwegian (i'd rate my listening & reading a 7/10 for bokmål ) and completed a memrise faroese course once. but i'm told it's one of the most difficult languages out there, and the country is small as shit too. but icelandic is so fucking cool. i wanna know if it's worth the trouble.

Attached: DkP7tk6XsAIIHxQ.jpg (750x747, 57K)

no worries anons
don't shy away from asking natives to help you out if they forget/miss your post, it's almost never intentional, people just get carried away by other crap

>people who live in the suburbs of Utrecht speak the most accent-free version of Dutch
I've heard this about Haarlemers
but basically the "accent free" Dutch is gewoon ABN - Algemeen Beschaafd Nederlands
and imo that's what you should learn first if you want to learn Dutch
you can meme after you can actually speak some of it

oh, ok. thnx for the info, fren.

they'll return to the good old fashioned days i hope.

Well, considering you can still decline personal names of all things in the language, good luck have fun.

>decline personal names of all things
Pardon? Is that not a normal thing for other languages?

My mistake actually.
The good old days used both because Gauls were Celtic.
www2.ac-lyon.fr/ressources/loire/mathematiques/spip.php?article75

Thank you, guys! I'll take it from here.

I know that picking an accent without even talking a new language might seem useless, but I want to know what my goal is.

>Mibie I fell-thocht Canadae, will flit som o us tae ye.

Attached: b4b98a83da0cd1ebc13248bcb951a6a3.jpg (236x284, 14K)

Send them to Nova Scotia (Latin for New Scotland). Goddamn Anglos are killing our dialect of Scottish Gaelic and the Scottish culture here in general.

Do you anons happen to know any non-cheesy Korean shows/reality tv?

>How difficult
If you know German and English? Less difficult than you might think. Gender often overlaps with German, word order often overlaps (although not always), the weak-strong adjective systems work similarly etc. You'll learn just how archaic German is compared to English while learning Old English.

>How long?
You can spend years learning it and looking for attested ways to say things and discovering new subtleties. It's quite full of surprises and nuances. But within the first year of studying you should be able to read prose texts like Lives of Saints with fair competence and no issues with grammar whatsoever. You can basically go through an introductory textbook and jump to reading prose while making use of the Bosworth-Toller dictionary to grind vocab as you go. Passive knowledge of it is easy to acquire imo and you don't need advanced grammar books before you begin reading.

Poetry requires a bigger vocab and closer attention of course. Luckily you have student editions of poems, like George Jack's Beowulf, which is great. It basically explains every word for you and spoonfeeds you a lot. You'll be able to read that one too after reading some prose to get accustomed to the language.

>Material/Dictionaries
This is the best dictionary you will find: bosworthtoller.com/
This is great for declensions and conjugations. It's correct 99% of the time and the quotes given are all correct: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/
The introductory book I already posted in the last thread is great: uibk.ac.at/anglistik/staff/herdina/an-introduction-to-old-english.pdf
Eduard Sievers also wrote a great grammar book in German a long time ago which would be a shame for you not to read if you speak German and want to learn Old English. You can find it online probably, it's in public domain now. Here it is in English: archive.org/details/oldenglishgramma00sievrich

I frankly don't remember seeing much of it when studying other Germanic languages, perhaps I'm thinking of the extent of it in Icelandic.

Wa' de fuck hedde gij nu just over mij gezeid, gij kleine teef? 'k Laat u weten da 'k den beste van mijn klasse was in de marine, da 'k betrokken geweest zijn bij verschillende raids op Al-Quaeda, en da 'k meer as 300 bevestigde kills hem.
'k Zijn getraind geweest in gorilla-oorlogsvoeren en ik zijn den beste sniper van gans 't Amerikaans leger. Ge zij voor mij ni meêr as e volgend doelwit. 'k Gaan u wegvagen me een precisie da nog nooit ni op deze aarde is gezien geweest, let op mijn fucking woorden.
Ge peisd ge gij percies dade da gezever zomaar ongestraft tegen mij kund zeggen op 't internet? Peisd nog maar ne keer, paljas. Binst da we wij an 't klappen zijn, contacteer 'k mij verdoke netwerk van spionnen overal in Amerika, en uw IP word op deze moment getraceerd, dus ge bereid u best voor op de storm, mutten. De storm da 't zielig dingske da' gij uw leven noemd wegvaagd. Ge zij fucking dood, manneken. Ik kan op alle momenten overal zijn, en ik kan u vermoorden op zevenhonderd verschillende manieren, en da's alleen nog maar me mijn blote handen.
'k Hem ni alleen uitvoerige training in ongewapend vechten achter de rug, ma 'k hem ook toegang tot heel 't arsenaal van d'Amerikaanse marine, en 'k gaan et ten volste gebruiken voor uw miserabel gat van 't aangezicht van 't continent te vagen, gij kleine fluit. Moeste nu ne keer kunnen geweten hebben wa' voor onheilige vergelding da uwe "geestige" commentaar op u zou neerbrengen, dan hadde misschien uw fucking muil gehouden.
Ma da koste ni, da hedde ni gedaan, en nu betaalde der de prijs voor, gij godverdomsen idioot. 'k Gaan u onderschijten vol furie en ge ga' derin verdrinken.
Ge zij' deraan, manneken.

OK, I asked because Slavic and Baltic languages decline personal names, to my knowledge.

I will lou the Erse tae e'er-hale that wheet. Gif ye beet hiz.

>Usłyszałeś twojej melodii?
usłyszałeś swoją melodię*
the rest seems fine

forgot chad

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 56K)

Hallo, faeder!

Ah, well I was wrong then.

>Fácil
• No quiero pelear contigo.
• No puedo salir de viaje este fin de semana.
• Están cantando mi canción favorita.
• ¿Te gusta hacer deporte?

>Mediano
• En realidad no tengo tanto hambre, más bien sed.
• Quiero tomar un tren en vez de un autobús en mi viaje este verano, así disfrutaré de la vista y también llegaré más pronto.
• Ya que estás saliendo, ¿me llevas el medicamento desde la farmacia cuando vuelvas?
• En días lluviosos lo que más me encanta hacer es ver películas acurrucado en el sofá.

>Difícil i think i screwed up edition
• Esta situación no ha resultado ser fácil a resolver(se?), como actualmente las dos partidas se niegan cooperar.
• Si ahora no pudiera decirte nada más que una cosa, esta cosa decía lo que te amo.
• Tan pronto como me desperté esta mañana, yo sonreí, como sabía que hoy sería un día maravilloso.
• Olvídese de lo que no comprende el currículum de su estudio en la universidad; no tuvo éxito incluso en el instituto.

Attached: 6A5228F4-2684-4F00-9B89-17E38344D32E.jpg (340x255, 24K)

That's what the Dutch language union and its paid 'linguists' (read: shills) want people to believe. However, it is not the case. The actual spoken language(s) is/are pretty different. This is what I posted a couple of threads ago:
Let me know if you want some more concrete examples. Here's the navy seal pasta I just wrote in semi-standardised Flemish, but it probably still isn't a 100% accurate representation of the actual spoken language because autocorrecting Flemish into Dutch when writing is so deeply ingrained into every Fleming:

Cheers, I've always wondered about this, because, for example, when looking at West Flemish it feels like sometimes the language is almost closer to Anglo-Frisian than the Frankish languages that Standard Dutch is based on.

Fácil
>• I don't want to fight with you.
No quiero pelear contigo.

>• I cannot travel this weekend.
No puedo viajar este fin de semana.

>• They are singing my favorite song.
(Ellos/Ellas) están cantando mi canción favorita.

>• Do you like to play sports?
¿Te gusta hacer deporte?

Intermedio
>• Actually I am not that hungry, rather I am quite thirsty.
En realidad no tengo tanta hambre, más bien estoy sediento.

>• I want to take the train instead of the bus for my summer trip, it's more scenic and fast.
Quiero tomar el tren en lugar del autobús para mi viaje de este verano, es más pintoresco y rápido.

>• Since you are already heading out, could you pick up my medicine from the pharmacy for me on your way back?
Ya que sales, ¿a la vuelta puedes recoger mi medicamento de la farmacia?

>• On rainy days, my favorite activity is watching movies while curling up on the couch.
En días lluviosos, mi actividad favorita es ver películas mientras me acurruco en el sofá.

Difícil
>• This has not been a simple situation to resolve, because both parties are refusing to cooperate at this time.
Esta no ha sido una situación fácil de resolver, porque en este momento ambas partes se niegan a cooperar.

>• If I could only tell you one more thing before I go, it would be that I love you.
Si pudiera decirte una cosa más antes de irme, sería que te quiero.

>• As soon as I woke up this morning I smiled, because I realized that today was going to be a wonderful day.
Nada más despertarme esta mañana, sonreí, porque me di cuenta de que hoy iba a ser un día maravilloso.

>• Let alone not understanding the material in his college courses, he didn't even do well in high school either. (this phrase should be reformulated though, it sounds weird)
No hablemos de que no entiende el material de sus cursos universitarios, ni siquiera le fue bien en el instituto.

I'll give you an example dialogue I just came up with:
>user seah his fréond, ond cwæð him tó: 'Wes þú, fréond, hál! Hú meaht þú?'
>His fréond hine ymbclypte ond andswarode: 'Wes þú hál!'
>'Hwǽr sind þín cild ond þín wíf?'
>'Hí sind mid mínum bréðer. Canst þú hine?'
>'Gese, ic cann hine. Ælfríc hátte?'
>'Gese, gese. Lá, úton gán drincan tógædere!'

You should be able to read 90% or more of this without even knowing any grammar or learning vocab. After studying for some 6 months you will be able to read way more complex stuff.

>Let alone not understanding the material in his college courses, he didn't even do well in high school either. (this phrase should be reformulated though, it sounds weird)
You just have to swap the clauses in English for the most part.
>He didn't even do well in high school, let alone understand the material in his college courses.
Now of course, leaving the 'either' here would imply the conversation was talking about something else other than "his" high school performance or "his" college performance. Stand alone without context it sounds a bit strange considering the intent of the previous formulation, where 'either' is intended to refer to "his" college perfomance.

The Swiss say octante instead of huitante I believe. I think most people in France would understand either way, but you never know how ignorant the person you're talking to is going to be.
At the end of the it doesn't matter that much I believe, it's just one more word to learn by heart.

Nie chciałbym z tobą walczyć
Nie mogę podróżować w ten weekend
Śpiewają moją ulubioną pieśń
Lubisz zajmować się sportem?

Właściwie, nie jestem zbyt głodny, a raczej spragniony
Zamierzam przyjechać pociągiem zamiast autobusem na wakacje, bo to bardziej malownicza i szybka trasa
Jeśli zamierzasz odejść, może mógłbyś wrócić z moim lekarstwem z apteki?
W deszczowe dni lubię oglądać filmy, tarzajac się na kanapie

At least it isn't Danish. No offence Danes.

>Belgians use huitante and nonante but not septante, while French Swiss uses septante but not huitante and nonante or something like that.
Actually, in Belgium it's septante, quatre-vingts, nonante. In Switzerland, it's septante, huitante, nonante. I don't think 'octante' is really used anywhere anymore, at least not systematically.

>I think most people in France would understand either way, but you never know how ignorant the person you're talking to is going to be.
Unbelievably, some pedants (generally from the north of France) actually 'correct' you when you say septante, huitante/octante or nonante - even when they're tourists in Belgium/Switzerland!

I wonder how long it'll take for soixante-dix, quatre-vingts and quatre-vingts-dix to disappear again. Stupid Celtic counting systems.

What were they thinking?

Thank you very much for the information. I will check out that german grammar book.

Np.
The Sievers book might be too grindy or dry to start with. It's very detailed and discusses things like the evolution of West Germanic sounds and whatnot which you don't need at all. I'd rather rec that Hogg book since it's much newer and features exercises after each chapter. Baker has a good intro book as well.
You can also look up the Old English Discord server and join it. Some people there really know Old English well and they can answer questions in real time sometimes. There are also compiled resources of varying quality.

I haven't studied German in a few years, and I remember very little, so I downloaded a beginner's grammar book and am going through it to refresh myself. I am trying to do about an hour a day.
I have also downloaded some flashcards, but I would like some audio as well. Are there any apps or websites I can use to listen to German radio? Is there anything similar to BBC Radio 4 (i.e news, some dramas, some artsy discussion)

>The Sievers book might be too grindy or dry to start with. It's very detailed and discusses things like the evolution of West Germanic sounds and whatnot which you don't need at all.
I mean it's too overwhelming as a beginner. But you should still definitely read it when you have mastered the basics. It's full of info.

>I wonder how long it'll take for soixante-dix, quatre-vingts and quatre-vingts-dix to disappear again.
Definitely not any time soon. I've tried changing my habits to start saying septante, octante, nonante (sounds better imo and just to piss people off) but old habits die hard.
French people also tend to look down on marked accents and regional "dialects".

What are the best resources for French grammar?

ᜌᜏ ᜅ ᜃᜒᜈᜊᜓᜑᜒ᜶

what is this?

Anyone know of Spanish sites for explanation,analyses for lyrics/poetry? not a lot of things on lyricsGenius

Go through this book and acquire it naturally: b-ok.cc/book/2884211/99cec2

>ABN
I've been looking for this acronym the whole time, thanks user

Only thing you could consider is what would be easier for you to pronounce. In the south of the Netherlands they speak with a guttural R and have relatively soft g's and ch's (similar to Flemish), while the rest of the country mostly (?) uses trilled r's (which would be easier for a Spaniard, I assume) but also rougher g's and ch's.

Actually, can a Dutch speaker explain when/how people use trilled/rolled r's? Problem is that I work in Noord-Brabant so I'm used to almost everyone using guttural r's but it seems more common in other parts of the country to use rolled r's, but when I hear people speak (on TV or radio) I feel like it's a mix of guttural r's and rolled r's rather than exclusively rolled ones. Am I right or am I hearing thngs wrong?

does it appear in boxes?

yeah

what time of day do you like to do language learning?

for me, the mornings are the best time. if I do language learning first thing in the morning, I get a lot done and feel very focused on it.

I'm catching up on today's learning late at night and I hate it.

>What were they thinking?
that "halvtreds" is easier to say than "halvtredsindstyvende"

it's 'baybayin' from the Philippines

How have I never seen these types of books before, this is brilliant.

They really are amazing. Jensen wrote one in Italian as well, using the same method. It does wonders for reading comprehension. It's pretty much all you need as a beginner.

Whenever wherever, it most depends on whether I relaxed enough to not care mistakes or tensed up enough to be hyperfocused.

who toki pona here?

Look for a site to watch "punkt 12" online, it's a reputable source for news, as well as german culture.

I will look into those books and check that discord server out, thank you for the information.

mi toki toki pona lili taso mi wile toki toki pona pona. sina sona?

>punkt 12
I don't know about this chief

Do you have experience working with this method? How do you do it, what were the results?
I downloaded the Italian one and read through chap. 1. Read everything out loud for oral practice and I could understand everything so far.

Thanks for the corrections, rey. Apparently I’ve been really into abusing ‘lo’, jaj.

Wkrótce będzie tu cicho
Wkrótce będzie po wszystkim
Czy zdołałeś zobaczyć to, co chciałeś?
Czy mogłeś usłyszeć swoją melodię?

Poezucona, całkiem sama,
Tańczy cyrkowa księżniczka,
Zatrzymała się — na linie
W chwili bez celu
Wkrótce, wkrótce
Przeminiemy
Może znów się zobaczymy.

What's the Italian one?

i just want to be fluent in russian is it so much to ask

Attached: 551.jpg (999x827, 39K)

How long have you been studying? Learn a language takes time you know

L'italiano Secondo Il Metodo Natura

>is it so much to ask
Yes actually

И я тoжe. пpocтo для шкoльницы eбaл)))

1 year

И кaк? Mнoгo yжe пoнимaeшь?

i understand what you said but its hard for me to form sentences i dont have much vocabulary

Attached: 1566862880065.png (769x612, 167K)

Tы нe нayчишьcя фopмyлиpoвaть пpeдлoжeния, ecли нe бyдeшь этoгo дeлaть. Дaвaй, aнoнчик, этo нe тaк cлoжнo!