DJT - Daily Japanese Thread #2241

DJT is a Japanese language 勉強スレ for 野獣 interested in the language, anime, manga, visual novels, light novels and Japanese video games.
Japanese speakers learning English are welcome, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=JkFGtlCTtjA

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
itazuraneko.neocities.org/
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
itazuraneko.neocities.org/library/librarymain.html
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous Thread: >110786986

Attached: machikadomazoku604.png (1920x1080, 1.62M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tup-5yOcJuM
youtube.com/watch?v=vUgs2O7Okqc
youtube.com/watch?v=sjYHTaw7948
youtube.com/watch?v=7Xlowfp5l_w
youtube.com/watch?v=eYK03kb38vs
yosida.com/en/hiragana.html
youtu.be/Kis3sU_gxnw
youtube.com/watch?v=Aj_KGFcOz3c
youtube.com/watch?v=FfaoGUO2NOs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is the concept of alliteration a thing in Japanese?

>bigger vocabulary
He uses a thesaurus or bad translator and that's it.
If he really had a big brain, he'd be able to adjust his writing to the target audience.
Rare vocabulary only serves the purpose to describe what you want to say more accurately or elegantly.
For example, lackadaisical means "Showing no interest or enthusiasm".
You could just write "unenthusiastic" instead and it would get the same meaning across, while being easier to read as well. That would be the smart thing to do.

Attached: 1493713505083.jpg (800x450, 64K)

Niech Bóg cię błogosławi, hue

本とかで珍しそうな単語を見るうちに、実際にはどれくらい使われてる言葉なのかを確かめてみたくなったんです(特にネイティブスピーカーのアノン諸氏に聞きたいのです)。
大抵はポーランドアノン殿に痛罵される結果になるんですけどね。

Lackadaisical has a connotation of goofing off, rather than just not wanting to do a thing.

Oh, btw, if you guys want to broaden your linguistic horizons in the English language, I'd recommend watching and/or reading "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events". The entire thing is a pile of literary references and includes explanations of all the larger/more unusual words as a literary device itself.
youtube.com/watch?v=Tup-5yOcJuM

>Lackadaisical has a connotation of goofing off, rather than just not wanting to do a thing.
That was not included in the description I found online.
If you choose that word and actually intend to use the "connotation of goofing off", then you are likely to be misunderstood.
Therefore, you just gimped your own writing instead of improving it.

Itererary? Inenenary?

You leave me no recourse but to brazenly arraign your atavistic aversion to the employment of a researched lexis, good sir. I dare even to say, good sir, that this odium with which you face the utilization of assumed big words is mired in a pervasively idiosyncratic and superstitious mindset of rejecting sophistication for primal simplicity to a degree that would make a Turk balk for its strictures.

Attached: 怒りの女神.jpg (288x218, 24K)

>where I got those words

>ricochet
when British engineer saw an outcome of simulation program
>discombobulated
from an American film a German person recommend to me
>lackadaisical
from the book "How to be a Brit"
>imbibe
from a book written by a horse trainer in US
>tantamount
somewhere on the net
>juxtapose
maybe in this board.

When you start delving into connotation, you get to the point where you really need to start digging into etymology and the context surrounding the use of the word in popular culture.
Keep in mind that connotations, or even the very definitions themselves, can change drastically from one area to another or from one point in time to another ("Semantic shift").
For instance, we used to say the word "awesome" to describe being so struck with awe that you would wordlessly fall to your knees all teary-eyed. Now we use the word "awesome" to describe the bus arriving on time.

Cope.

Itinerary is really quite common, I'm honestly surprised you think it's a fancy word. Imbibe is usually said as a joke precisely because it is a literary-sounding word about drinking. Discombobulated sounds cool (almost like an onomatopoeia) and is used unironically by some people for that reason. Lackadaisical is not just unenthusiastic. It has a negative connotation like you are lazy as well.

This concludes our English lesson for today

And this proves that it was a bad word choice

なるほど、俺は英語の書籍は全く読まずネットの英文(比較的簡単)ばかり読んでるから、文語的な語彙がかなり不足してるんだろうな…
もっと英語の勉強頑張らなきゃ

ところで itinerary をきっかけにスレが荒れてきちゃったね
みんな熱くなってる

Attached: 1498600752537.png (1000x1000, 268K)

fwiw, I didn't read Canada's post first, and ended up saying the same thing. Hmm, maybe it's a real connotation after all?

In fairness, I'm a huge nerd who reads encyclopediae for fun, so I'm not a very good yard-stick for what is and isn't a typical understanding of the nuances of English.

Well I'm someone who hates people who are nitpicky about grammar, and I learned these connotations through their actual usage. The people writing the dictionary didn't invent the words

英語の文語練習したいならと時間があれば、 Hunter S. Thompson という作家の本を読んでみろよ

Attached: __akamatsu_kaede_harukawa_maki_hunter_s_thompson_and_raoul_duke_fear_and_loathing_in_las_vegas_and_e (3188x2156, 3.52M)

If I see someone use discombobulate in a sentence I will stop reading whatever it is they wrote.

Discombustion

I was disappointed with the picture of / polska /.
Instead, post this.

Attached: game.jpg (1920x1080, 160K)

Is it because you are confused by the usage? :^)

>ところで itinerary をきっかけにスレが荒れてきちゃったね
そうです、英語教師みたいなふふ

because belarussian made an edition

でも日本語で書かれた書籍でさえ読まない読書嫌いの俺が最後まで読めるかどうか…
いや、頑張らないとな!
あとで探してみる
ありがと

Attached: ganbaruzoi1j.png (599x433, 363K)

because that belarussian is an imbecile, no one want him in our general yeat he refuses to leave

Nobody particularly praises petulant poles, either.

No doubt he is exaggerating a little.

Attached: 3e688656210938bb55d559f4214014f7_L.jpg (600x450, 283K)

I want him

Attached: 1566947836942.gif (500x496, 784K)

Keep fucking up their subhuman thread, great job.

By the way, the President of Belarus does not want to resign for the past 25 years. What would you do in a similar situation as a citizen? Well, if the situation is projected onto Canada or Japan?

Attached: 32013.jpg (720x480, 32K)

Learn Japanese retard

Soap box
Ballot box
Jury box
Ammo box

To be used in that order.

I studied Polish last year. And English since 10 years... To understand Japanese, I need many, many years. Because I don’t even understand the logic of the language. How much did you learn Japanese? You do it because you are wonnabi Japanese and you like culture or just want to watch anime?

Attached: e2234614f357b6f2f95d9a014c716c3e.jpg (500x625, 49K)

>And English since 10 years...
Prepare to get bullied.

I want to thoroughly breed a Japanese girl

Japanese men certainly aren't stepping up to the plate.

まぁ、そんなほどの読書嫌いさんならそいつの本の一つの映画化を観てもあんたの英語に練習になるだろう、雄弁な独話多いだし
youtube.com/watch?v=vUgs2O7Okqc

ともかく、がんばれね!

Attached: __helianthus_girls_frontline_drawn_by_take_trude1945oneetyan__4125f0a4b0f03030a08c1ce6fa609f9e.jpg (1043x1300, 154K)

When I was a schoolboy, an Englishman came to our school. It was a schoolboy child. He laughed when everyone spoke, probably it was very funny and wrong. Do you meet people with bad English in Canada? Or is it a country closed to immigration and you have only educated immigrants?

Attached: 1557515325986-int.png (1267x785, 99K)

それほど
なるんだろう

>麻倉もも
how would you say the last name, まぞう?

あさくら

youtube.com/watch?v=sjYHTaw7948

oh, i did not expect that. thanks.

We USED to mainly get well educated immigrants with actual job skills, but that changed in the while.
As for people being bad at English, keep in mind that Canada is officially bilingual, with most of the country speaking English and then the second most populous province, Quebec, speaking almost exclusively French. There are some pockets in other provinces that speak French (Northern Ontario, Manitoba and many of the Maritime provinces), but they'll at least know some English in those areas.
If you want to know what "bad English" sounds like in here, then Maxime Bernier is a pretty good example. You can understand him, but the accent is thick.
youtube.com/watch?v=7Xlowfp5l_w

in the last* while

Holy shit, this fucking あ is TOO HARD TO HANDWRITE. Do I just need more practice or this is as fucked up as it seems?

nobody wanted him in /rub/ either lmao

How about actually learning the language instead of wasting time on scribbles

youtube.com/watch?v=eYK03kb38vs

IDK, man. It's no worse than writing cursive.

B-but I need to know how to write the letters, right?, I heard it's at least part of the exam, you can't obviously use a keyboard to type there

What exam? You needed an exam when learning English?

I learned English in school and yes, every lesson had some writing. Typical exam included a "letter to a friend" you must write. Is Japanese any different?

its a two step pattern. it can be a bit tricky to write but yea practice it a bit. heres a website i used when i first started learning.
yosida.com/en/hiragana.html
theres a lot more difficult ones in my opinion. but i like writing them all.

i wouldnt really compared it to that. i wouldnt say its that.

For some reason, he needs a certificate to Noreku. I know a man from Belarus who traveled with him to Japan.

Cursive letters change depending on the letters before and after them, though. Then you also have letters like e/i/l/r, g/q, or h/k all being really similar to each other, capitalized variants oftentimes being almost flamboyant, etc.
I end up writing half in cursive and half in print just to save time/improve clarity.
Hell, do they even teach cursive anymore?

You'll never write 4000 different scribbles from memory

Are you challenging me?

I'm telling you the truth and to stop wasting time on that shit when you should be learning the language first.

Why anyone learning Japanese wouldn't need it?

>A language where cadence of words/sentences is dictated entirely by how the word is written
>Learning how the words are written is a waste of time
Pick one.

Just d-don't bully me, please

Learn Japanese first

Thank you, kind leaf

Is lingodeer any good? I tried it and it gave me some feeling of progress

You don't need to know the order of 4000 different scribbles. You just need hiragana, katakana and radicals.

>Not learning both
Just to make it clear, nobody in these threads is trying to emulate you and your inability to deal with other people like a reasonable human being actively discourages anyone from mimicking you. You are not a scholar of repute and the only value you ever add to DJT is starting threads and then promptly getting mocked by everyone who peruses them.
Your life is a joke.

I don't see you learning Japanese

youtu.be/Kis3sU_gxnw

Never use any shitty sites with lingo in the name

I'm not just sitting here mashing the F5 key to see if senpai noticed me. I'm babysitting a print and practicing reading/hearing comprehension and writing in between posts.
Your existence is exceptionally sad if the only ego boost you get in a day is shitting on people who started learning a language at a later date than yourself.
You keep telling people to kill themselves, don't you have a mirror in your home?

lol

He's baiting you, user

こんばんは皆さん

Attached: 1532479304556.jpg (980x723, 44K)

The Yotsubaposter always asks for listening practice in English. For the past two days I've watched the British Parliament House of Commons debates a lot. I think they're actually really good listening practice for learners as well. If you can follow the debates your English is probably very good.

youtube.com/watch?v=Aj_KGFcOz3c

Moving on ...

>Is there a female form of Fuhrer
This is a tricky question. It's easy to turn any noun into its female form, in this case Führerin. However the term is really so singular and specific that there is most certainly no real female equivalent that would carry the same weight.

>What do you think would be the most sound english translation of the german prefix "uber" in Nietzsche's idealistic conception of the "ubermensch"; superman? overman? beyond-man?
I guess it is the tricky part even with Nietzsches own terms that the word he chooses is overladen with meaning that is not even aparent in German without looking at the specific context he was elaborating on. In a sense the Nietzschean Übermensch is at the same time the superior as well as the beyond. However this has nothing to do with the lexical word itself, but more with the concept Nietzsche ascribes to it.

>I have a sneaking suspicion that there's mistranslations or misunderstandings in the many english translations of Kant's categorical imperative, so how would you personally translate "„Handle nur nach derjenigen Maxime, durch die du zugleich wollen kannst, dass sie ein allgemeines Gesetz werde."?
Let me give this a try:
"Act only according to those principles, for which you would wish that they could become universally binding law."
I'm not sure how close this is to common translations as I've never read Kant translated.

Contd.

Attached: [Erai-raws] Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - 07 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_08.47_[2019.08.19_00.03.32].jpg (1920x1080, 158K)

おやすみなさい

lmao retard

huehue,こんばんは

ねえ、知ってる? あそこのトイレって出るらしいよ
What the hell does 出るらしいよ mean?

>How are demonyms created in german? Like russian, austrian, romanian and so on and so forth.
I can give a few examples and give a few thoughts on general principles, even though I would not know these for sure.
Starting with the ones you listed:
Russe, Österreicher, Rumäne
A few others:
Japaner, Marokkaner, Pole, Israeli, Amerikaner, Kanadier, Chinese

In general it is not as regular as with some other language. The most common one is adding the suffix -er.
However as you can already see it has its irregularities such as anything and everything in German.
Japan -> Japaner
Österreich -> Österreicher
but
Amerika -> Amerikaner and not Amerikaer
England -> Engländer (vowel shift from a to ä)

Then for countries such as Russland -> Russe, Polen -> Pole, Rumänien -> Rumäne you take the base syllables of the country and just append an e.

China -> Chinese, Frankreich -> Franzose, Vietnam -> Vietnamese is a third common pattern.

Then theres stuff like Israel -> Israeli for which I have no idea why it is this way, might be because it is so recent and just got adopted directly or from English. I can't think of any other nationality ending in i in fact.

I hope this is more or less what you wanted to know anyways.

Attached: [Erai-raws] Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - 06 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_08.32_[2019.08.07_20.55.12].jpg (1920x1080, 189K)

Abbreviation of
>ねえ、知ってる? あそこのトイレって(幽霊がorお化けが)出るらしいよ
huehue

>Trying to learn English
>All these people keep jeering and making animal noises

Thank you so much, I would never have guessed that.

あうぃがとでごあっすドイツ卿

Attached: 1562423212760.png (1080x1080, 631K)

You would have easily after seeing this stupid ghost in a toilet trope enough times.

The case of "痴漢" may be rare.
You must infer from the context.
However, it almost certainly means “a ghost appears”.
huehue

>Trying to learn English
>All these people keep jeering and making animal noises
I see no contradiction

Attached: [Erai-raws] Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - 03 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_20.33_[2019.07.19_21.50.48].jpg (1920x1080, 282K)

少なからず does NOT mean 少ないながら, stupid VN writer.

上げ

good afternoon friend

おはよう

お元気ですか

youtube.com/watch?v=FfaoGUO2NOs

thanks for bumping.
I was about to bump instead if nobody did.

Attached: 59c23cea8215475df6443b5ae3232c4a.jpg (600x800, 109K)

I ate a fried curry bun! hue?

I ate two tacos.

Attached: [Erai-raws] Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - 05 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_09.35_[2019.08.01_01.04.12].jpg (1920x1080, 184K)

>「............とにかく犯人を見つけなければ始まらないってことだよね?」
>「ほう? 始まらない、と来たか。お前は暗に、これまでの話はまったくの無意味で建設的でなく時間の無駄だ、と訴えているのだな? いい度胸だ」
と来たか here means something like "to reach a conclusion" right?