Your country

>your country
>favourite opeth album.

Attached: R-518413-1335423488_jpeg_800x.jpg (600x600, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/99E0CHNifCQ
youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nonXqRc69ihYnZbcecM8eAa53dibWmabE
youtube.com/watch?v=manW5v-AR7U
youtu.be/SOKIhM6pcnM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: Opeth-Heritage.jpg (316x316, 20K)

Orchid

First album I heard, and I lost my shit the first time I heard it.

>accesible prog ““death metal””
gonna have to be a yikes from me

Their last 3 albuns are just prog in case you dont like grows.

>flag
>pic related
It was the first album I've heared from Opeth and the one that got me into extreme metal. I love the atmosphere, the folkish parts, the blak metal production.
Based.

Attached: orchid.jpg (700x700, 38K)

Flag
None, i'm not a faggot

Attached: Opeth_stilllife.jpg (319x312, 17K)

i'm not a pleb, so I don't listen to opeth.
have a bump from me though

You need a soul in order to understand Opeth and kikes don't have one, therefore they hate it, as they can't get what is all about.

Attached: 1f6057fd79b64c5da2961871bc9ca772.jpg (770x597, 91K)

For me it's Morningrise

This

opeth, like most ''progressive' outfits from the nineties, are a coalition of third rate soloists and twelth rate composers and songwriters trying their hand at writing music in the vein of their idols'. at their worst, they sound like third rate cover bands of the bands they like. at their worst, they have their own distinct sound.

Opeth and their fanbase is cringe.

Try to make a song as beautiful as Bleak.
When you're going to make it, we can talk.

Attached: 7c854cc3e0e8bc48f5eb54343ecbf57874813788v2_hq.jpg (894x894, 131K)

this is now an Opeth thread
and it's based

which bands are they covering?
i dont think ive ever heard another band like opeth, but id like to
pls recomend

get a load off this fanboy. there's nothing "deep" about their music gypsy, which in itself isn't really techinically impressive, and the "progressiveness" is just random bits strung together

cringe, listen to real metal
youtu.be/99E0CHNifCQ

Attached: A043416E-2558-42AC-8A41-7BBD5CBB73C9.jpg (316x511, 31K)

Never call it deep, but you need some emotion in order to feel the music. You don't listen to Opeth with your mind, you use your heart.
As for technicality, I don't give a shit about it. As long as it sounds good, it's fine in my book.
By pointing out aspects like technicality and the lyrics' depth you've just proven my point: kikes are souless leeches unable to empathise with others.

good band, i like opeth as well though

Never got into them, don't like their transistions
Mikaels growls were fucking amazing though

>You don't listen to Opeth with your mind, you use your heart.
kek you really are a faggot
The fact that I do appreciate other bands is a testament for my ability to "empathise" with others. Also the fact i don't guzzle opeth's cum is a proof i'm not a low iq, assblasted gypsy

What other bands do you enjoy?

Metal bands? Far too many. cryptopsy, spawn of possession, electric wizrard and gordian knot to name a few

>electric wizrard
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddeeeeeeeeeee, weed, man!
Shit band. If you want slow riffs, just listen to Black Sabbath.
>cryptopsy
They get too absorbed into their thing. It's not really a musical statement, it's more of a self indulgent excercise, an experiment to see how wankery they can get.
>spawn of possession
That's good, but at times sounds too cartoonish.
>gordian knot
Americans playing prog of any kind is tasteless. This is no exception.
Overall, not something I would call "good taste". Still too heartless.

laughing at you SW user, i expected better. laughing at your attempt to sneakily pass off Bland as 'beautiful'. laughing at your 'you didn'ae write it, so it's good' argument. I was just teasing you (and metalfriends) because it's something I enjoy doing but you still managed to make a bad case for yourself.
i'll come clean with you because you've been nothing but nice and patient with me.
I don't find any opeth material to be outright terrible or offensive, and sometimes they're nice to listen to, but i'm really autistic. one time I checked youtube for seminal canterbury group the wilde flowers and instead of the usual results i found an opeth song. the intelligent man would've been flattered by a tribute to something he likes and he would've been compelled to check out their discography, but me being me I started flinging shit like wild and that was the start of my hate boner with them. (i also have a bone to pick with technical metal and progressive metal as a whole but that's another retarded story.)
they do have moments where they sound canterburish, or like Harmonium (which I don't care for), early Camel or sometimes acclaimed Muzak band Pink Floyd

flag
Orchid because guitar harmonies

Attached: orchidea.jpg (600x600, 72K)

Fuck, you don't like the bands i like, fuuccckkkkkk :(((((((

thoughts on the new tracks
youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nonXqRc69ihYnZbcecM8eAa53dibWmabE

Attached: 2019.jpg (1500x1500, 1.88M)

Joke's on you (pun intended), I recognised you from the very first beginning, but I like to argue with people.
That's fine, mate. I'm glad we can at least have a conversation about music, a real one, unlike /mu/.
Svekets Prins is a great tune, I especially the choir in the beginning.

>Americans playing prog of any kind is tasteless.
here you reveal yourself as the pleb you are. you lay some really dumb rules about who should play what and why.
you kind of view music the way others would view fashion. no wonder you actually dress up like your favorite hack artist. when the british were listening to pre-revolver beatles and and doing fuck all, the americans were laying out the blues, the jazz, the rythm music that would give birth to 'progressive' biritish music (which is predated by progressive american music.) the first british progressive acts, like the nice, were heavily steeped in american sounds, that's why they were playing america. crim, a band venerated by plebs like you for all the wrong reasons was for the longest time fronted by a very talented american. artists like tony williams or miles davis actually progressed music forwards while your favorite bands are to this day still playing pastiche of bands inspired by murican artists.
your line about sabbath was based but you broke my heart, you don't care for trueand actual progressiveness, just outward progressiveness, a hat that you enjoy wearing.

i stopped liking opeth after watersheed desu
havent been able to get like their new stuff

surrised nobody posted this yet

pleb

Attached: morningrise.jpg (466x466, 30K)

>soypeth

based
Fuck those inbetween clown genres. Either listen to death/black/thrash or fuck off

>opeth
>soy

wew lad

you fucking idiot

They have some stealing from 70s prog bands like Camel. Some chores are even almost directly copypasted.
That said, I was a huge Opeth fanboy and still appreciate it a lot, espacially albums like Damnation.

Attached: 220px-Damnation_cover.jpg (220x220, 12K)

>not posting the original cover

i dont even like metal btw

Attached: opeth-pale-communion-D_NQ_NP_750499-MLB27431150388_052018-F.jpg (700x715, 166K)

now that you also answered him his sole incentive to read my post is gone
thx..

>who the fuck cares

10/10

That's the reason I missed you had already psted it, that is all

S-sorry...

can you even play an instrument?
as a musician myself, i find opeth amazing.

It all comes from my views on music. A genre is a lot more authentic when it's played by the people who created it. Prog is qiuite a British thing.
While it did have American influences in the begining, it slowly moved away from that and become a fully European. Musical pieces inspired by the Western Classical tradition can only work when they come from the same cultural background as the works they got inspiration from. Americans do the best job when it comes to jazz/ jazz fusion, but prog does not belong to them. They can help the genre evolve, just like Adrian Belew did with King Crimson, but they can make this as long as they come with influences from their place and don't try to do something foreing to them.
As far as I noticed, many new American prog bands don't use their own American cultural background, but they try to recreate a specific period from the history, not having any connection to that.
Sure, an American can play prog and make the genre evolve, but it might develop into something that doesn't fall under prog's canons.

This

gonna check camel
ive heard they good
im not that into prog, more into death metal
but ive always liked those "interwined" acoustic riffs they did

Camel are good, not sure you'll enjoy them if you're not really into prog but they're worth giving a shot

maybe you should try being more concise and go to the point instad of writing walls of text

>mirage
>self titled
>moonmadness
>stationary traveler

Prog is great if you know what to listen.
Definitely check Comus and Genesis.
Also since you like metal you'll like Porcupine Tree and Riverside and modern prog-rock a lot I assume.

>im not that into prog, more into death metal
First bloodbath album is basically opeth w/o the proggy parts

Good choice

i like bloodbath :)

i can read sheet music, i'm also a very (i can't stress this enough) basic flautist. i don't write music. you're trying to make the connection between being a musician ---> instantly liking opeth which I think is rubbish tbqh
as I just told you I don't outright hate opeth, i admitted to finding them interesting at times even. they don't excite me though, when it comes down to it they're metal mixed in with bands i like better and would rather listen to instead, like camel. i don't think they're necessarily breaking ground either. i shat on them a bit too much on my first post to start a conversation with my good friend al rumani.
>It all comes from my views on music.
then I honesty apologize for jumping to assumptions.
>A genre is a lot more authentic when it's played by the people who created it.
you're listening to music. you're not buying a persian rug. what is 'authenticity'? you're promoting a very stale environment, where the british will draw from british influences, the americans from american influences, and so on. the very thought of this nauseates me. what if the beatles didn't take from american rock and rollers and traditional indian music? music should be a free market. if you like Sun Ra, Iron Maiden and Magma and want to bring something fresh to the table, you should be able to do so without having your 'authenticity' called into question. because I'm a really good guy, I won't play dumb. I know tht 'america' and 'prog' brings really shitty, uncreative bands to mind, like starcastle (LOL) or Kansas. i don't think these guys are inauthentic because they're american, I think they're inauthentic because they obviously owe much of their sound to another band. isn't the whole of 'nu-prog' inauthentic? it's obvious that they're trying to capture the thunder of a bygone bands. that's not too 'spontaneous' in my eye. i also have my own standards for what is prog and what isn't. i wouldn't consider the raven that refused to die a p

rogressive record, it's beating a long dead musical horse and going nowhere with it for example.
>As far as I noticed, many new American prog bands don't use their own American cultural background, but they try to recreate a specific period from the history, not having any connection to that.
huh. i don't listen to new american bands a lot but they never seem to take american blues rock into account. real shame, some of them jammed just as good as the jazzers do.
>prog's canons.
we probably have different ideas about what that is.
but what i'm saying is a big part of music is cultural exchange and genuine interest and one shouldn't neuter these in the interest of 'authenticity'.
also again sorry for making wrong assumptions about you.

don't listen to the turkish flag.
listen to their discography in chronological order. even their shittier releases have interesting stuff going on, they made nteresting comebacks and rain dances has really cool bass.
if you aren't willing to engage with them that strongly you might as well just listen to A Live Record (preferably the 2002 release).
great live album, and it's condensced """classic" camel

Dubs, nice.
I know I'm close minded when it comes to the envoirement and other stuff, but I always associate music with a setting.
Porcupine Tree - small town from where you can hear trains, just like my home town, also quite rural area with hills, just loke my grandma's house.
Opeth - forests, mountains, just loke my holidays
Agitation Free - seaside
etc.
As a result of these associations, I also do this with musical scenes and sometimes reject the idea of free exchange of ideas. I might be wrong.
The Raven doesn't have a prog attitude, maybe besides production, but I like the way it's sounds. It gives me feels.

I grew up on melodeath instead, and now listen to death, sludge, thrash, some black.

Attached: 6a9534252d2143d7995ae7a13f33418b.jpg (770x770, 157K)

holy shit I just noticed my double dublets...
a great way to commemorate another conversation with my good friend
>I know I'm close minded when it comes to the envoirement and other stuff, but I always associate music with a setting.
>As a result of these associations, I also do this with musical scenes and sometimes reject the idea of free exchange of ideas.
i'm also close minded when it comes to some other aspects concerning muh music, i can see why you'd adopt your iron-fisted stance, it would be hypocritical of me not to.
you're a trustworthy man. name me any one album and I will listen to it while you find the time to give Crossings a shot.

>Americans playing prog of any kind is tasteless.
Yezda Urfa - Boris is pure prog magic though. And Hands too

Agitation Free - Malesch
I absolutely love it. I'll give Crossings a listen, thanks.

Attached: Agitation_Free_-_Malesch.jpg (301x300, 66K)

i listened to that already, and I liked it. krautrock with soul. i was hoping for an opeth/porcupine tree record of your choice or something of the sort to help me get into them and overcome my irrational hate-boner.

Storm Corrosion is the collab between Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
youtube.com/watch?v=manW5v-AR7U
No-Man is also really nice.

Attached: mikael_and_steven.jpg (770x916, 127K)

thanks a lot for your time, it was fun talking to you. i'll be sure to listen to it, you have a good day

Attached: epic_handshake_meme-e1534136962951.png (1280x640, 418K)

I don't listen to metal anymore really besides some iron maiden but I went to 3 opeth shows back in the day and met them twice, they were one of my favourites

I liked my arms, your hearse the best

*Good night
I can't sleep, again, so I just shitpost and listen to music. It was nice, see you.

youtu.be/SOKIhM6pcnM
stop listening to prog

Attached: 27238DE1-0B23-40CE-BC8C-E3752AC8215E.jpg (480x621, 52K)

Bosnia
Glass Animals
How to be a Human Being

Attached: f94989a22d577632d4f7b2aa084301f9.996x1000x1.jpg (996x1000, 284K)

Their early albums are barely DM at all, it's just prog with some weak growls - and all of it follows the same formula, structure-wise, except maybe that 20+ min one on Morningrise. Death's Human is way more like actual prog death. Go listen to Timeghoul and Obscura.

That is, the album Obscura by Gorguts, not the garbage "tech death" band.

Their early albuns also had a black metal element to it.

You're such cringe

Which, in the end, amounts to very little It’s prog covered up with some BM/DM makeup, but doesn’t have the soul of either.

Can you reword this post? Implies that I'm a faggot and I don't like that

Unnironically heritage.
I hate death metal and those retarded screams.
Actually, as a person that only listens to soft rock and prog, heritage is a pretty good album. But i know opeth fans dont like it.

>timeghoul
>obscura
absolutely based dane

>Soipeth? Sorry, I'm not a homosexual, I prefer The Chasm

Attached: gigaghoul.png (764x877, 583K)

>flag
>Ghost Reveries

blackwater park

I stopped practicing guitar years ago, but I've been writing music on and off for over 15 years. Opeth was honestly what got me into writing metal originally. I didn't write like them (or try) for too long, but it definitely had a role, just like I don't try to write like Bach anymore, but it was super important for me to listen to in my development as a composer. I don't agree that musician vs non-musician is a really defining factor, but it does make you hear it differently.

The first 3

Damnation is comfy