How proficient in Japanese do you need to be to be get a job as an English teacher?

How proficient in Japanese do you need to be to be get a job as an English teacher?

Attached: 6BDFFEBF-9A89-46AA-AB05-BCC63FDB3A16.jpg (500x375, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=StkLx0e4f6c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You don't need to be able to speak Japanese to be ALT(Assistant Language Teacher) in Japan.
You can be one of them if you can live in Japan for few years.

Wait shit really? What sort of requirements do they have then? I known you need a college degree, which I already have.

You just need to be able to speak English and some agencies will take you but life will be terrible there are even some of the good agencies will screw you.

I think Japan want you to have a bachelors and a TEFL the fags on the travel board have a general for this

Also search for yourself lazy ass.

Maybe it requires a college degree. I don't know the details but ALTs basically pair up with a Japanese English teacher and don't speak Japanese. Almost all public middle schools have ALTs nowadays.
They mostly can speak very basic Japanese since they decided to stay in Japan for a year at least, though.

Whats so terrible about life?
didn't know it was so easy. How would it look on a job resume if I did this for a year?

Generally how are the ALT's viewed?

I guess they would feel like they are being some mascot of a theme park. The Japs are basically naive.

Sounds miserable

What do you mean?

>le english teacher maymay
How about being something more creative? Look at moot, living the weeb life there and isn't what every other dumb whitey is.

all of my ALTs didn't speak Japanese for shit

I guess not that bad. There were two ALTs in my middle-school. Both were white and like 24-25 y/o, a nerdy guy and a qt woman, and maybe both were from middle-class background. Spending a year abroad with pay as a '''teacher''' is probably not that bad.

You kidding? Being a mascot sounds like the easy life.

Attached: japanese girls chasing waito piggu.webm (600x338, 993K)

The terrible things I heard about was the companies give you little support once you are there, barely pay you enough to survive with nothing left for extra activities, work is long with almost no free time, also some things are to be expected like you could end up in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

I'm quite proficient in Japanese, but how do I become a native English speaker, so I can become an English teacher there?
I lost gene lottery real hard here.

>that slide

That supposed to be a bad thing?
What work do you do? Don’t you just help teach middle school English classes?

Also how’s teaching in a comfy rural town bad?

Attached: 598B78CC-CDA0-4A81-A325-19D8DC41B2D4.png (719x1000, 795K)

who?

>work is long with almost no free time
I'm 98% sure that that's not the case for ALTs. anyway I'd say it's so stressful for them sometimes since they stay in a totally different country where they can't even speak the language. Of fucking course.

>creating this shithole good thing
If a guy wants to spend a year experiencing life in a completely alien culture why try to put him down? Better then being a useless neet like you.

I don’t even talk to anyone in my own country desu. If anything the extra attention form being white in Japan will probably give me a better social life then here.

I'm thinking about "teaching" English in taiwan if I don't get into the school program I want on scholarship... not sure how much it will suck though, but it can't be any worse than a 9-5 here. My advice OP is to visit the country first before you go there to see if you like it. I was thinking of JET program in Japan but backed out and got a decent job here instead and later went on vacation to japan... it's a really bleak society in my opinion you might not like it

same here. whenever I've gone abroad I've made wayyyy more friends in 2-3 days than I've made here in 2 years. It's not me either, it's just the way people are in le diversity paradise here. No one talks. Everyone is weird until proven otherwise especially men. It's really sad.

Where did you visit? Also can you describe what you mean by bleak? I understand they have very restraining social customs.

Yeah its fucking weird. I'm not gonna blog post but there was one trip in highschool where I became such amazing friends with the locals and westerners that came with me, I haven't had any relationships where I became as close and open with anyone my entire time at uni.

The things I read didn't go into too much detail about what the work was just that the work was already hard and then the Japanese work ethic on top of that made it worse, and as for living in a small town in Japan it's pretty much the same problems and benefits as living in a small town anywhere so it's really your own opinion for that the only objective thing about them is that they won't be the most English friendly place so knowing at least a little of the language is a must. Also all of this is worse case scenario stuff I heard and you could have a good time teaching abroad I just decided the bad stuff that might happen was too much for me.

I unironically think being ALT in japan is a good thing for that type of person. It's better if you already have enough money to avoid trouble just in case because agencies might be not reliable.

I was an ALT in provincial Russia and my schedule was Monday - Friday 9:30-11:30, 15-19:00; Satudays 15-19:00. Not bad if you can stand kids from 6-17 years old.

11:30 A.M. or P.M.?

If A.M. thats a better schedule then I have in college lol.

A.M

My parent's have money, I should still find a reliable agency so I don't waste their money and cause stress for myself, but if I got into trouble I wouldn't starve or anything.

I got little brothers how bad could dealing with some squirts for a few hours be? Then you have tons of time to explore nature and experience culture you've never interacted with before.

Did you ever have any work that went beyond those hours? What'd you do in your free time?

Osaka-Kobe-Kansai area. I would go back just to see Tokyo and around but I would never want to live in Japan I don't think. It's more expensive than Canada, we went for sake one time and had maybe 3 sakes plus a few small appetizers like kimchi and daikon and the whole thing was 77$. People also work way too hard. I had a japanese girl that liked me so I stayed with her but their life is literally:
>wake up at 6am
>be at work by 7 or 8am (get fined from your pay if you're even 1 minute late)
>work non-stop until noon
>eat lunch for 30 minutes
>at exactly 12:30 go back to work and work until "5pm"
whereupon every day they say they need a "special effort" "just for today" and they end up working until 7-10pm.
>get home at 9pm-midnight.
>drink and pass out and wake up and do it again the next day
>work saturday for a few hours
>go out for drinks with coworkers and boss on sunday unwillingly but have to pretend you want to so they don't fire you for not being a 'team player'

They act exactly like our kids do. That's universal. You know how elementary kids act. It's an interesting view from the other side of school. Think back to your school days and how much fun you had screwing around with your buddies. Now imagine your old teacher - That's what it feels like.

why japan of all places, i don't fucking understand

Zero work outside of work. Just leave and go home. The "work" was done by the real teachers. I hung out with the other English ALCs. We all went to lounges, bars or whatever we could find. Making friends around town was super hard, because no one spoke English. I was nice going to an old Soviet theater and watching plays in Russian.

It seems comfy.
youtube.com/watch?v=StkLx0e4f6c

Also admittedly if theres any truth to the wmaf stuff. I'm honestly really interested in their culture too though beyond just anime, not in weeb sense just an exotic appreciation sense.

Attached: Japan.png (780x460, 765K)

I don't really care anymore but in japan, food is cheaper than north america and most common work time is 8am to 5pm. also, there's no way going out for drinks with coworkers is unavoidable.
so fucking typical.

You should always learn the local language. Not sure why Ameritards always think they can get around in English.

It's not hard. Even a fucking toddler can do it.

Completely agree with you. If I moved to Japan (which always has been a dream of mine), I would make it a priority to learn Japanese!
I know an Aussie and a Texan in Estonia who have this idea,"Well they already speak English here, so why should I learn Estonian". I was there for 2 years and still have a B1 level, they've been there for 10+ and only know a few words. To me that's unacceptable.

I speak American faggot.

Also Japanese is particularly hard for outsiders to master, it would take the rest of my life to be on par with native speakers, seems like a waste of time, energy, and resources if you ask me.

Attached: wade boggs.jpg (213x320, 26K)

It's difficult, but do-able. If only the Asians would adopt the Latin alphabet.

If you call soda/coke; pop. I don't have any respect for you

I'm a midatlantic fag not a midwest fag. We call it soda here, coke if you're talking about coca-cola or cocaine, like non retards.

An old buddy of mine did the ALT thing and said it that it wasn't great. He got lucky and transitioned into being a private tutor for people that want to send their kids abroad, and he barely speaks Japanese.