How come the government debt of the UK is so high compared to the Netherlands and Germany?

How come the government debt of the UK is so high compared to the Netherlands and Germany?
I always thought of them as a somewhat financially conservative nation.

I'm not looking to bash them or get meme answers.

Attached: debt-to-gdp-ratio-european-countries[1].png (2400x1800, 322K)

Other urls found in this thread:

globest.com/2018/03/16/why-investors-are-turning-to-non-bank-lenders/?slreturn=20190805122405
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_United_Kingdom_bank_rescue_package
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Debtugal at 127.

Attached: 9653172.jpg (900x900, 68K)

>he fell for the euro

red: soul
gren: soulless

We won’t have it here for sure. The moment it would be introduced all prices would just skyrocket.

why does finland have such a high debt % compared to their neighbours?

First again! Hell yeah

Attached: FB_IMG_1564748264544.jpg (720x720, 20K)

>Southrons all at/around 100%
Gross, we should kick them out and just have a Northern Union.

>Ukraine

Attached: 1551471563985.jpg (224x206, 11K)

room temperature iq here. to whom are we in dept?

Attached: 1454517124095.jpg (468x351, 28K)

Other countries, civilians, companies, banks etc. who buy govt bonds as an investment

so basically jews

Attached: 1470522387842.gif (400x300, 1.79M)

sure

Most of Lithuania's debt is owed to "foreign non-banks", so I'm going to guess that's foreign investors. Pic related from Business Insider.

Attached: 57d2d862077dcc7e128b4684-960-721[1].png (960x721, 318K)

is that a good or bad thing

Attached: 1565730131279.jpg (296x296, 12K)

hmm?

wtf is Andorra's problem

bad
shitaly has so much debt we're at risk of becoming the second greece and I'm sure you at least know that's a bad thing

fuck the EU, fuck the euro and fuck g*rmany

Labour government was into borrowing instead of reducing deficit when the economy was doing well (pre 2008). When the recession came, it meant we had a huge deficit, it's only around now that we are actually about stable when you take into account gdp growth. But because we still have a strong economy overall, a good reputation and not in the euro our debt % is not considered as big a problem as it is for other countries with the same amount.

>I always thought of them as a somewhat financially conservative nation.

Lmao, trickle down economics is the worst thing that can happen to public finances. You are literally funding tax cuts for the richest contributors to the public treasury by taking on public debt.

Our debt to GDP ratio declining fast btw and it is projected to drop below 35%. within the next 15 years btw.

I don't really know.
globest.com/2018/03/16/why-investors-are-turning-to-non-bank-lenders/?slreturn=20190805122405
For better or for worse, non-bank investors are becoming more popular lenders because they simply have more finance available for borrowing. But in the end a debt is a debt, no matter to whom it is owed.

Based Estonia

Shouldn't public debt and private debt be looked at together to get the full picture?

>France's debt-to-GDP ratio is over 10 times that of Estonia
Crazy when you think about it

could be good, could be bad. Debt drives growth.
Imagine you take a loan from the mafia to start a business. If it all goes right, your business will get you a lot of money, you will pay back the loan and everything will be alright. But if your business idea fails, the mafia comes and breaks your legs. Now you're crippled and bankrupt.

That's how government debt works.

>falling for this meme
The only thing that matters is the NIIP: the sum of what you owe others and what they owe you

Attached: file.png (761x915, 130K)

>Debt drives growth

Attached: 1502089179048.jpg (800x600, 620K)

>Ukraine
I sometimes feel bad for them
Then I remember that they call us churkas

You certainly beat them at the amount of national territory that is occupied by a foreign power.

Eesti a beesti

That's now what I meant, you retard. Stop thinking you know economics because you saw a few memes about keynesian stupidity.

Bruh
That was low blow

>not* what I meant
fix'd

I don't think I know it because I read a couple of memes, I think I know it because I actually studied it. But go ahead and pat yourself on the back for showing that stupid swede his place.

Because they had a financial crisis in the past that hit their country pretty hard. They've recovered from it very well though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_United_Kingdom_bank_rescue_package

but the entire world endured the same crisis though

>Debt drives growth.
I think it's better to say that debt can be used to drive growth if taken on sparingly and invested wisely (and even then it's often down to the luck of the draw). However for Greece debt definitely didn't drive growth. They borrowed and then frivolously spent on more gibsmedats and unneeded government jobs.

That's the problem with Keynesian economics: everyone is willing to borrow for "muh stimulus", but raising taxes and lowering expenditure when times are good is something most people don't want to do. Keynesianism could work if driven by an uncorruptable technocracy that only measures what is best for the economy. In the absence of such a body it's better to just have the fiscal discipline to not lend yourself into poverty.

You're still a lot better off as both a bussiness and a person in the UK than in Russia or Turkey, so I guess debt-to-GDP ratio doesn't say everything

>that only measures what is best for the economy
Impossible

IDK, it's kinda what Opus Dei did for Spain under Franco.

>I actually studied it
>by reading memes

Naturally you can make good decisions and inferences, but you can never know. Which is why the market is ultimately vastly superior to centralized planning in 99% of cases.

>>Ukraine:
OH NO NO NO
I will pay everything pay trust me, bro.

>Why yes, I AM doing a PhD in memeonomics. How did you know?

Attached: 1560811694410.jpg (1242x1394, 156K)

true dad

*boing*

Attached: 1567690299409.jpg (2400x1800, 850K)

>But because we still have a strong economy overall,
Kek
>a good reputation
Double kek

Why does Russia have a small debt?

they have thousands of resources that they can sell, they don't need to make any debts.

You forgot the most important element: Putin doesn't feel the need to buy votes.

But they have no economic growth

true

It's more like their bonds are in junk territory so they have very high interest rates so it's not worthy

For 2019 it's something like 58-60% for Ukraine.

True. Given their size and population it's pretty pathetic that even Italy has a larger GDP than they do. For all intents and purposes they should have the economy of France and Germany... combined.