/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
[Language of OP's choice]
>What language should I learn?
[Language of OP's choice]

Old thread Old challenges

Attached: target lang kot.jpg (467x576, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pffkIKnbIWs
vocaroo.com/i/s0HiafXb6OFN
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Uralic languages

I'm going to learn German and there isn't anything you can do to stop me!

Attached: 1563153867332.jpg (600x600, 110K)

The german language will stop you

Du kannst das nicht

Anons needing corrections:
(Spanish)
(French)
Previous post if you're thirsty for more dumb mistakes to greentext:

The articles will stop you. Go to Germany and ask a local “Wo ist die bahnhof?” If the person is not retarded, they will respond in ok English. Go learn a language that people actually speak outside of autism containment centers.

Attached: BF3FA258-60F8-48EA-BF2C-FA6C1A0D12F9.png (1024x576, 85K)

Do you anons have intentions on moving to the country that speaks the target language?

AHHHHHHH give me polish waifu

Th-thanks.

Kein Problem

hör nicht auf die, mein lieber, lass 8-10 jahre vorübergehen und du wirst passabel ein glas wasser bestellen können. =)

I don't even intend to use my target language with one of its native speakers

I don't know German but I could understand this somewhat.
>don't listen to this, friend, 8-10 years from now you'll be able to decently ask for a glass of water

ye thats solid, only thing would be that «die» here means «them»

Why yes, I do plan on moving to Poland, how could you tell?

German is unironically more difficult to learn than Japanese for the following reasons:
1. It's so similar to English that it's easy to assume that words that look similar in the two languages have the same meaning (like "stall" and "stellen").
2. It's got a lot more conjugations and declensions than English.
3. It's got 3 fucking genders.
4. There hasn't been a single good film produced in Germany since 1945.

What lang?

y'all got any comfy music to study to?

Attached: lwt.png (856x719, 74K)

Comfy music is gay to study to. You need energizing, fast-paced music that will keep you attentive.

Not at all but the Canadian allegedly will

Starałem się do ciebie zadzwonić
Martwię się o swoje bezpieczeństwo
Nie pamiętam każdego snu

Gazety były pełne sensacynich historii
W mniej niż sześćdziesiąt sekund, skarbiec został otwarty
Rabuś banku był pewny, że nie zrobił ani jednego błędu
FBI zajmowało się sprawą napadu na bank
On miał oko na dyrektora banku i jego przestraszoną twarz

>tsk sen beleta Esperanta koramikino
kial vivi plu

>Not at all but the Canadian allegedly will
I'm going in less than two weeks, only for a visit though. Then some time after that I will move. I'll take pictures when I'm in Poland.

Cool, I suspected you were just bs-ing about that part

I exaggerated when I said I was moving on the 14th. It's just for a visit. I figured I should just visit first before permanently deciding to migrate.

ho mi trovis alian esperantiston!

*hand rubbing intensifies*

>In less than 60 seconds, the vault was open
I actually cannot tell if this is supposed to mean
1) It took less than 60 seconds for the bankrobber to open the vault
2) The vault door got opened but closed again after 60 seconds
I guess the first one

>4. There hasn't been a single good film produced in Germany since 1945.
100% true, very much approve of this statement IF we dont count Haneke towards german kino, since most of his best films werent german language films.

The first one is correct.

The second meaning would be "The vault was open for less than 60 seconds."

Zamenhof wasn't religiously Jewish. He founded his own spiritual movement.

If it was translated literally it would be the #2 in danish, not that you care, but that's the reason for the confusion

Haha holy shit. Let me know how it goes. I was there like 2 months ago and now i want to move to poland as well (after learning the language ofc). So your trip will probably serve to solidify your choice in moving there.

Are there any benefits from learning esperanto?

It helps with learning other languages. Also it's just interesting if you like languages.

Saluton. Mi supozas ke vi estas la sola alia Esperantisto ĉi tie krom mi mdr.

Kiel vi fartas ĉi-ĵaŭdnokte?

Jewish atheists are still Jews in the economic sense.

Yes. You can tell people you know a made up language that no one fucking speaks.

>It helps with learning other languages.
Meme.
You're wasting your time if you're learning an easier language in order to learn harder languages in the future. It's not a net gain.

>Jews in the economic sense

Attached: brainlet 5.jpg (766x919, 79K)

More people have Esperanto as a first language than Latin.

if there are any video game nerds here, playing WoW classic is an amazing way to aid in learning your target language. For me it's French. There are French/german/russian dedicated realms but there are also huge communities of all sorts of languages on the EU english realms- you just need to do some research and find which ones

you are forced to interact and pick up on the language with other players. I've been waiting for an mmo-type game to play french in and wow is almost perfect

Attached: 1538957514522.png (674x425, 458K)

Vids of ppl playing Minecraft > playing CoD > playing GTA San Adreas > playing MMO shit like WoW > actually playing a game yourself

As in they are stingy rich.

Most Jews in Eastern/Central Europe back then were very poor.

>tp
>tf

Then how the hell does Danish say #1?

mi fartas bene ĉi-ĵaŭdnokte. Mi uzas "Lernu" por lerni Esperanton.

It'd be either literally "After 60 seconds" or "It took 60 seconds"

Then he was a nigger.

Mojose. Laŭ mi Lernu estas unu el la plej bonaj retejoj por lerni Esperanton.

Are there any languages that are moving towards increasing complexity? Cause when you compare Old versions of various Indo European languages, it looks like their grammar becomes simpler as time goes by

>it looks like their grammar becomes simpler as time goes by
Well, isn't the purpose of language to communicate in a way where whoever you're talking to can understand you?

all the good spanish music is instrumental so useless to learn with

Greek was my first language so I have a greek accent in spanish which to non-spanish speakers sound good, but spanish speakers say it sounds like im either posh or that it sounds really cute, i'll take it

That begs the questionーhow did those prior languages get that complex in the first place?

But. Isn't that the same accent?

Yes but latin isnt fucking made up jewish nonsense.

It may have been a contrast between the spoken and written forms of a language or perhaps the complexity itself was a way to ensure a literacy gap.

>sweating nervously while reading russian

>da JOOS

Why you mocking AAVE? You some kind of racist cracka?

Case in point. All non-native spanish speakers think it's the same accent (including me), but there are some very minute differences that hispanioablentes can tell

>Easy
>>I can always watch the movie later.
Jag kan alltid titta på filmen senare.
>>I decided to eat pasta for dinner.
Jag bestämde mig att äta pasta för middag.
>Medium
>>It is not simply just your appearance but your personality that is important
Det är inte bara ditt utseende, men din personlighet också.
>>Everyone should try to make a good first impression
Alla bör försöka göra ett bra första intryck.

>Jag bestämde mig att äta pasta för middag.
Jag bestämde mig för att äta pasta till middag.

>Det är inte bara ditt utseende, men din personlighet också.
Det är inte bara ditt utseende som är viktigt utan även din personlighet.

Rest is good honestly. Good job, lad.

thanks lad :^)

trying to learn french by playing games, (especially pronunciation) but not all games act the same when it comes to changing the language.
is it better to:

>play in complete french, subtitles and dialogue regardless of if I understand what is said (fallout 4)
>french dialogue but english subtitles (idk yet, but can't be that hard to find)
>english dialogue but french subtitles (gta v)

>english dialogue but french subtitles
The worst option, you're not training your ears to the pattern of the language. Might as well read Dumas or something with a dictionary on hand.
The other two depend on how fast you want to learn the language and how good you are at figuring things out from context.

>The worst option
Yeah, I suppose I knew that, I just wish I could actually play GTA V in french, maybe I could try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.
>how good you are at figuring things out from context.
I'm decent, but sometimes I get overwhelmed when it's too much new stuff at one time.

Bиmp

Was macht eine Frau die zwischen Mensch und Tier nicht unterscheiden kann?

This is the theory:

Fusional languages with lots of conjugation like most Indo-European ones lose their conjugations and become Analytic languages that rely on helper words and word order like English.

Helper words in Analytic languages become simpler and start attaching to the content words directly (now they are called 'particles'), making really big words. This is an Agglutinative language like Japanese.

The big words in Agglutinative languages become simpler by contractions and phonetic reductions. This turns the chain of particles attaching to a word into conjugation of the word, and it becomes a Fusional language again

>sensacynich
sensacyjnych
>ani jednego błędu
mistakes is plural so:
żadnych błędów

>Helper words in Analytic languages become simpler and start attaching to the content words directly (now they are called 'particles'), making really big words
Yeah I heard about this, and it makes sense, but has it been observed in any language we currently know about?

It sounds 10/10, at least to Spaniards

I was recently traveling from Spain and the flight was operated by some random company, I asked the crew something and they all answered with a perfect accent that they didn’t speak Spanish. Later on I realised it was a Greek airline.

Don't you need an EU account to play on EU servers?

Apparently the history of Chinese shows it going from pure analytic to mostly analytic but slightly agglutinative today

Where using agglutinative quite lightly here I should hope. The particles are similar to English function words, and the rest of any weirdness comes from the introduction of duosyllabic words to counter increasing homophony caused by lazy speech in all the daughter languages, Mandarin being notably one of the worse, with writers picking on it since the 10th century, IIRC.

I don't know any Chinese, I'm just repeating what I read. People also say Egyptian is an example

>The pronoun nakkvarr/nǫkkurr appears to have arisen through the coalescing of *ne wait ek hwærz ‘I know not who’ into a single word (partial parallels to this development exist in other languages, including Old English and Old High German).

Indresding

Is German more difficult than French and other Romance languages?

Attached: alarmed.jpg (268x265, 76K)

If you're not good with cases, yeah. Depends on how many loanwords you're familiar with as well, I guess.

I think it depends on the languages you know. How close the grammar is, how close the vocabulary is...

The thing about German is that it has noun cases, while (I think?) all Romance languages do not. That's usually what people think is the most difficult part about German.
However, I'm assuming you know Polish, which DOES have noun cases (although they are a bit simpler compared to German as far as I can see) so you may have less trouble with that as you are at least familiar with the concept. In terms of vocabulary it shouldn't make much of a difference since you know English, which has loads of loanwords of words both based on Romance languages and Germanic languages, and Polish also has their fair share of German-based words (grunt from Grund, warsztat from Werkstatt etc) and some Latin-based words.

Aguire wrath of god, you dumbass.

I struggle with memorizing verbs since because of prefixes they all look similar, but the grammar itself isn’t hard.

my experience > somebody else's experience

Have you learned both? German has far more irregular grammar but there's no way it's as hard as jap

>although they are a bit simpler compared to German as far as I can see
German has 4 cases, Polish has 7.

americunts, bongs and bogans say i sound texan

Attached: file.png (307x356, 87K)

Post vocaroo

You are very lucky. You get a preview of Berlin, Berlin

youtu.be/pffkIKnbIWs

Yeah, but there is less pronoun variation within the cases I think. Not sure though. Only have mostly superficial Polish knowledge and just glanced over stuff before posting.

I've tried learning both, and lost motivation with German because of what I described there. Japanese grammar feels like it's only as difficult as Spanish grammar, whereas German grammar is on the same level as Ancient Greek.
Japanese does have a few difficulty issues, like homophones which can be told apart by their kanji, or words that have unusual readings, but they're mostly tucked in deep into the advanced difficulty levels, and do not feel like they're present in written Japanese.

>German grammar is on the same level as Ancient Greek
Modern High German is a constructed language and it's grammar is based on Ancient Greek and Latin. That's why we have 3 genders, 4 cases and tenses that didn't exist in natural German before, as conditional 2, plusquamperfect or future 2.

vocaroo.com/i/s0HiafXb6OFN

>they're mostly tucked in deep into the advanced difficulty levels
That's the intermediate level, 頑張って

Say
> Why, howdy there partner. How bout we go lasso up some cattle? We'll need to fatten them longhorns up real good before winter. Yeehaw, I'm a cowboy!

Nah there's some british english thrown in there