/lang/ - language learning general

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Serbian
>What language should I learn?
Scots
Old thread

Attached: paul.jpg (288x288, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dictionaries_by_number_of_words
lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/texts/oi_cleasbyvigfusson_about.html
edd.uio.no/perl/search/search.cgi?appid=86&tabid=1275
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

emprem per romontsch

вce pyccкиe мeня нeнaвидят, этo пpaвдa!

>go on /lang/ yesterday
>American posts broken sentences in German
>German flag ""fixes it""
>it's still broken grammar like not even vernacular stuff but outright retarded
When will proxyfags and Eastern Euro minimum wage diaspora just fuck off? The absolute state of this board.

Attached: 15057336_1295936397094870_187907078352797696_n.jpg (1080x1349, 85K)

Anons needing corrections:
None because there was no challenge last thread.

Previous post if you're thirsty for more dumb mistakes to greentext:

Attached: stare.jpg (1086x992, 73K)

Which one are you talking about?

Stop Paulposting

Only learn Gaelic if your surname is Gaelic.

How does everyone pronounce Gaelic?
Geh-lick or Gay-lick?

Skąd to wiesz?

this? It looks ok to me

The Irish pronounce it gay-lick and the Scottish pronounce it gall-lick.

Gay-lick desu

ohyeahhh

Attached: Untitled.png (816x766, 37K)

Only one lesson left on Lernu

>spent about 5 years to get to A2 at most
user you played yourself

such kneejerk rudeness to Duolingo-san

How do you know he didn't just learn multiple languages to A2 over the years instead of one?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dictionaries_by_number_of_words

How does Swedish have so many words?

low german

I'm not an expert in Swedish, but does it work like German, where you can combine words to make longer ones?

It's probably a bunch of machine generated composite words, like 27-year old, 28-year old and so on. Since you can just make up words, it's hard to quantify how many words there even are

that works in every germanic language except for english (and i think its fairly uncommon in dutch though possible).
330k words in german is a good baseline, but thats probably a collection of base words and compounds, while technically you can create an infinite amount of compound words in both german and swedish, thats just how germanic languages work, hard to tell how many of them are real words, its usually just higher frequency vocab.

It was actually just one, German

>330k words in german is a good baseline
>ywn be fluent in German

Wouldn't you expect Danish to have a similar number in that case?

Öh...

Really doubt that would happen in SAOL. Say what you will about Svenska Akademien (*spits on them*) but their dictionaries are akshually breddy good with etymology and sources and shit.

I would but I guess the danes didn't bother doing it; as if it's some kind of benis length contest

yes, maybe their dictionary works differently. this isnt a list of total words, just a dictionary list.
>Svenska Akademiens ordlista, which includes only commonly used words, currently includes ~126,000 words after having added 13,500 and removed 9,000 in its latest edition, SAOL 14, plus an additional 200,000 still encountered words in earlier editions.[7][8]
its probably like that

any free site where I can practice my english speaking with ameriglobos?

I doubt it. Anglos are strangely absent on language exchange sites

You're on one.

>strangely absent
Call it what you want, but I don't think this is at all strange.

I'm typing, duh
what about a site where I can speak with non-native english speakers?

Since you’re discussing dictionaries, how difficult do you think it is to make a good one? I’m surprised at the lack of online dictionaries for some languages, and the ones that exist are very very bad (for example not accepting letters specific to that language). How difficult can it be to make a dictionary that is easy to search and contains declination paradigms?

The /lang/ Discord?

There's speaky.com

>How difficult can it be to make a dictionary that is easy to search
Probably not as hard as you think, just tedious. What languages were you thinking of tackling?

based
still lots of English natives in it, but most of the active users are yuros or other non-anglos

I don't think it would be hard at all. Especially if you start out by "stealing" from already available dictionaries

How do you divide your time learning multiple languages? Do you sacrifice other activities?

>other activities
imagine

>other activities

>other activities

Translate "We did it, Reddit" into your languages

Old Norse. The teacher told us about resources we can use, and the main dictionary is in Nynorsk (in paper), and a website where you actually have to scroll to find each word. I haven’t done any research to see if I can find something better by myself though.

I wouldn’t want to steal. If I were going to do that I’d contact the existing ones to ask for permission. I just don’t get the point of making a dictionary that translates to a written language that’s a minority in its own country, or to have to find words by scrolling nowadays.

>multiple
only english

>and a website where you actually have to scroll to find each word
Link?

Zrobiliśmy to, Reddit!

Hvorfor?

It's a reddit meme where you comment "We did it, reddit" when there is a successful comment chain.

I guess Reddit should go into the vocative here, so "Reddicie"

I didn't think about that, always unsure if I'm supposed to decline foreign names.

Vi har klart det, Reddit!

Ought to be "vi klarte det" 2bh

however, I know the SvT Swememe meme translation is simply "vi gjorde det, Reddit", which is simply did as in did, not did as in completed or passed or achieved

Keep calm, it's not that hard! If you get the basic words, you will get the compounds most of the time. For example, you understand the word 'moonlight' because you know what's a moon and what's light. The same goes for daytime, sunflower, goldfish, waterfall, etc.

In German, this is more common and you might find Rivercurve, Castleentrance, Literaturebook, Nightsky, Germanlanguage and anyone that comes to your mind.

Then there are some bizarre compounds, like a Turtle being a Shieldtoad (Schildkröte), or very long words, like Electrodomestic being Haushaltsgerät (Householddevice) or Obvious being Selbstverständlich (selfunderstood/autounderstood).

really? but its a completed action
this sounds even more arbitrary than german tenses

why are those bizarre compounds? theyre high frequency words, as in, there isnt a better term for those things..

To me "vi klarede det" is something you'd say after having completed some grand challenge, whereas "vi gjorde det" sounds normal

Well the way I'm learning right now isn't giving me much of these base words. I might have to start over with Kinderbücher

>tfw special

I say gaelic in Scotland since it has ae in it. No one actually says gaalic in Scotland.

lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/texts/oi_cleasbyvigfusson_about.html
There's also this, the teacher said it's hopeless edd.uio.no/perl/search/search.cgi?appid=86&tabid=1275

>Me teimme sen, Reddit!

Some German animal names are funny, at least to me. :^)

>really? but its a completed action
?
so is har klart

>An Icelandic-English Dictionary
yikes

OI isn't ON, lad

which is why i wrote that...?

It's fornisländska

>the teacher said it's hopeless
How would you want it to work? It doesn't seem too bad to me

Attached: 1568359748.png (1415x595, 154K)

I know what OI is lad, but OI isn't the same as ON. There are differences, hence why OI is considered a development of ON, just like Old Faroese, Old Norwegian, Old Swedish and Old Danish.

I know that OI is often grouped together with OWN for some reason, Jackson Crawford does that for example, but strictly speaking you aren't learning ON if you're learning OI.

Ye, but klarte and har klart is like did and have done in English.

I haven't tried it because I'll try to get a copy of the Norron - Nynorsk dictionary. I tried mostly the one where you have to scroll.
It's what the teacher gave us, what do you want me to do

I thought you asked because you wanted someone to go make a dictionary that is better somehow

I'd like to know how hard it can be, where the difficulty is and try to make it myself in the future.

An online dictionary is a cookie cutter CRUD app (Database and REST API). I guess the main difficulty will be to get the actual content. Looking at the sites you posted, I'd write some Python script to rip all of it from there.
It'll be a bit simpler if you just want something to run as a program locally on a PC.

trump

tfw started to be more strict on my anki difficulty of remembering words, getting 150 cards everyday now - takes an hour to complete. idk maybe i should be less strict, but im not convinced i'll be able to remember of the words otherwise

Attached: 12356567878.png (657x527, 13K)

I want to learn Tagalog!

I kinda doubt that torturing yourself with anki will make you learn

it has improved my vocabulary immensely, i'm about to finish 5k words in a couple of months. though i can't say that i remember all of them instantly, that's the main issue

Speaking of dictionaries, I thought it would be fun to start one for my dialect just as a hobby and I've been collecting words for about two years now, plus examples of sentences. You think I should keep solely to different vocabulary or would words that have the same basis as the ones in standard Slovene but that are pronounced radically different fit in as well? And what else would be good to include, perhaps one of those sound charts or whatever the fancy term for it is?

>>ze worden sowieso betaalt
>betaald
>>betaalt ben
>betaald bent
AAAAAAA
maar dankjewel belganon je bent een schat

Think of it this way: you're getting so much cards all of a sudden because for months you've been fooling yourself.

You're facing your own hubris.

I find that it is really easy to recall something from context. Quotes get stuck in your head. But individual words not so much. I use anki but I don't think it's ideal

That's why you put example sentences with audio on your anki cards.

All of those would be interesting. Depends on how much effort you want to put in.

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

Well, as I've said, it's just a hobby effort that's something I'm mostly doing for myself. Maybe I'll make it a public resource sixty years from now but for now, it's just something I put interesting stuff in. Usually, I open it after I've used or thought of a certain word or if I use or hear a specific sentence that is vastly different from how standard Slovene sounds so it seems like writing it down and perhaps dissecting it could be interesting.

I've thought about adding various local geographic names but apparently, there's an actual online project for that already.

Bvmp

bitte antworte. Aus welchem Staat in Brasilien kommst du? ich bin auch 25 Jahre alt :)

how do you start learning a language without memelingo or anki

I always hate the fucking "lel german so hard cause le words soooo long xdd how u lern words so long??" meme exactly because of this. Apparently brainlets cannot grasp the concept of compound words or something. Your example even shows that some of those words are shorter than in English if written the same way.

It's pretty much exactly as common in Dutch than it is in German btw
Only that we go over the top sometimes, like in law. Fucking Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz.

>Then there are some bizarre compounds, like a Turtle being a Shieldtoad (Schildkröte), or very long words, like Electrodomestic being Haushaltsgerät (Householddevice) or Obvious being Selbstverständlich (selfunderstood/autounderstood).
How on earth are these bizarre? They're absolutely ordinary for Germanic langs.

>"lel german so hard cause le words soooo long xdd how u lern words so long??"
Does anyone even unironically think that nowadays apart from boomers?

Honest thoughts on HelloTalk, HiNative, Interpals HelloPal, Tandem, and KakoTalk?

Attached: 1568309702194.jpg (1080x1080, 116K)

Yeah I had a Brazillian internet friend say that after seeing the word "Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel", which I would literally translate as "pregnancyhoodcontraceptioninstrument".

Actually Schwangerschaft is more like "pregnanthood".

>KakoTalk

Attached: IMG_6043.png (243x170, 63K)

any site where I can practice japanese? mind you, no one in the world cares about learning italian so it should be a pretty big and active site for me to have a chance

>no one in the world cares about learning italian
Well, as big a meme as it is, Vento Aureo finished airing in Japan not too long ago. It's also one of Japan's favourite parts.

yeah but i figure if i do enough repetitions i can get all of them into my head, what other way do i have of learning vocab?
this is what i have, pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20190913_170300.png (478x569, 15K)