Astronomers announce the detection of water in the atmosphere of exoplanet K2-18b (located 124 light-years away from...

Astronomers announce the detection of water in the atmosphere of exoplanet K2-18b (located 124 light-years away from Earth), the first such discovery for an exoplanet in the habitable zone around a star.

Attached: 800px-Esa-hubble-k2-18a.jpg (800x467, 47K)

someone call alex jones to find out whether or not its a nasa transexual experiment

I bet we will be the first to visit

water is literally fucking everywhere, it's the most common two-element molecule in the fucking universe

absolute non-news

It's the first time we've detected water on a habitable-zone exoplanet you utter ape.

every star has shit orbiting it and every star has a "habitable" zone

it doesn't mean shit, mars and venus are also in the habitable zone and look at them

>mars and venus are also in the habitable zone and look at them
What about them? They don't have water in the atmosphere like the new exoplanet does.

>water
its just water vapor
its probably a desertic hot as fuck shithole or a very cold one

oh, if that's the pedantic distinction that bothers you, then go look at jupiter which does have it "in its atmosphere", and jupiter is outside the habitable zone

since it's a super-earth it's more likely to be like venus on steroids

Exactly, Jupiter isn't in the habitable zone.
Are you retarded or something?

look at the conversation when you drop into it you fucking retard

>water vapor isn't water
Please stop breathing.

>every star has shit orbiting it and every star has a "habitable" zone
You expect me to take you seriously after writing this crap?

not for the habitability question it isn't

liquid surface water is what you're looking for there, water in the vapor and ice forms don't mean anything

which was kind of my point, water is fucking everywhere

both of those statements are true you monkey

Ignore him, he's obviously mentally challenged.

I really hope there's already life there. We'll know in about 1-3 years. I wanna settle another planet.

neither mars nor venus is considered to be in the habitable zone

>water vapor isn't water
when did i imply this you mongoloid
back to forocoches VOXcel

>not for the habitability question it isn't
Literal brainlet

>back to forocoches VOXcel
Bit of a projection there

the conditions at the surface are likely more extreme than on venus, imo you need to wait until we actually start detecting earth-like exoplanets before you get excited

not that we're ever getting there anyway, unfortunately

>can't tell why the difference between liquid water and non-liquid water might be important to the question of life
>calls others brainlets
lmao

you need, no you HAVE to go back

I don't even know what kind of mental gymnastics you are going through right now, but whatever floats your boat dude.

>absolute non-news
No, it's pretty big news considering it's the first exoplanet, in the habitable zone with water in it's atmosphere ever found.
If that means life or not doesn't matter at all, this is still a big discovery.

stop harassing me VOXcel

Isn't it a radioactive shithole though?

Oh, I get it now. Nice try fachita.

it's mostly just a headline for people who don't know what it means to be excited about

like i said, water is fucking everywhere, therefore every planet has it to some extent, the habitable zones of stars are wide, and planets are extremely common

this all taken together makes it non-news to me

on the same fucking day we discovered a comet with a highly hyperbolic eccentricity, but nobody cared, even though it's much more significant astronomically

But user this way the scientists give us poor masses hope for the future.

no, this way reporters get you excited over something insignificant and make the jobs of scientists harder

Yeah, keep throwing non-arguments. No one here is claiming that this planet is definitely inhabitable. Hell, it orbits a red dwarf so it probably isn't. But, again, it's the first time we've detected water on a habitable-zone planet, so yeah, those are exciting news unless you happen to be a cynical asshole party-pooper.

>consistent facts are non-arguments
>media-manipulation clickbait is exciting
yep, it's a brainlet

>red dwarf
>33 days long year
That fucking planet is closer than Mercury is to our sun, probably tidally locked on the orbit as in only one side faces the star like our Moon does the Earth. 4 times larger gravity. Could be 70 times thicker atmosphere. Probably toxic too. You need the Stargate from the movie to reach it.
Yeah, good job.

>facts can't be used fallaciously
Lol k
Also
>I don't find this discovery exciting because this article said it was exciting!
And I bet you call people sheep.

i can tell you must get called a sheep a lot