/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Not Scots (English dialect)
>What language should I learn?
English (not the dialect called Scots tho)

Old thread Old challenge

Attached: tock-tick.png (685x764, 836K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/K8c8aBWCbtc
vocaroo.com/i/s1ErFmRT9NWJ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V2_word_order
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No. That tired me too much. I need to rest for a few days, I might be able to do it on Monday.

>ȝe ar a feck o gyte nocht iz. Nou ging gae!

Attached: 872.png (680x797, 318K)

Anons needing corrections:
(French)
(French)
(Korean)
(Spanish)

Previous post:

Please stop abusing me.

Post new challenge please

Challenge

Easy
>I can always watch the movie later.
>I decided to easy pasta for dinner.

Medium
>It is not simply just your appearance but your personality that is important
>Everyone should try to make a good first impression

Hard
>I couldn't believe what they were saying to me when I hadn't even done anything wrong
>If one cannot learn to love themselves then how can they expect to accept when someone who loves them comes along?

scots more like lots (of time wasted)

based
someone should add it to the wiki as a conlang

Someone post a NEW challenge please

Attached: 81b.png (680x808, 363K)

>That tired me too much.
How?

Challenge

Easy
>I can sometimes gather berries.
>I need to find my purse.

Medium
>All good people look for gold, usually.
>A few people are desperate but most want to help you.

Hard
>I cannot help you, since I don't know you. Unless you give help for us we cannot pass it on to you.
>Only the men know how to write. Women are not allowed because they produce terrible writing quality along with poor prose. Women cannot write books that are enjoyable to read.

the scots bvll needed 5 takes to whisper into his mic without stuttering

I forgot I have a shed. I can record in there.

so called "bvll" has to fuck off to his cuckshed in order to record his own voice

absolute state

The SCOTS BILL/BOLE/BVLE/BVLLE will record his voice soon.

Anyone here learning the Dublinese language? youtu.be/K8c8aBWCbtc

I might take 20 minutes, I have to make something for someone.

Zawsze mogę obejrzeć film później
Postanowiłem zjeść szybką pastę na kolację

To nie po prostu tylko "wygląd ma znaczenie". Ważna jest osobowość
Każdy powinien robić dobre pierwsze wrażenia

Nie mogłem uwierzyć w to, co mówili, przecież nie zrobiłem nic złego
Jeśli ktoś sam siebie nie kocha, jak ma on przyjąć tego, kto przyjdzie i będzie go kochał?

I guess the last one is bad. I think even the source sounded a bit weird

Do not BVLLY the scots BVLL

stop encouraging shitty posters

How am I?

>Postanowiłem zjeść szybką pastę na kolację
"Pasta" is "makaron"
>Każdy powinien robić dobre pierwsze wrażenia
"Pierwsze wrażenie", we don't pluralize this particular phrase.
>Jeśli ktoś sam siebie nie kocha, jak ma on przyjąć tego, kto przyjdzie i będzie go kochał?
Jeśli ktoś nie nauczy się kochać siebie samego, jak może oczekiwać, że gdy pojawi się ktoś kto go pokocha, zaakceptuje go?

The rest are fine! Shit, the last one is hard. I've had to move the order around a bit. "Przyjąć" doesn't really work in this context, but "zaakceptować" isn't perfect either... Can't think of anything more fitting right now.

>Finnish
>cousins across the Gulf
I think I don't get the joke. In any case if you were actually talking about Finnish, the written language, which doubles as the standard language, is pretty different from the normal spoken language.

>you can change spelling to adapt to actual spoken word, still doenst make it another language
I get your point and I agree with it, but even though Scots's grammatical structure is very similar to that of English, at some point you just have to let go of the 'dialect' classification/connotation. It's clear that it's retained many things that are now considered archaic in English but are perfectly normal things to say in Scots. Also, of course you'll always have mixed dialects in the vicinity, where people speak English with some Scots stuff mixed in (like in Scottish English), but the existence of mixed dialects doesn't preclude the existence of distinct languages. After all, a language is really just a group of dialects that look more like each other than others.

Engilish

>I seriously do not understand why you always have to "prove me wrong" by taking everything I say extremely literally
I only do it when you really mean it literally, which you did this time, and when I do prove you wrong it is because you are wrong. Otherwise I do not care.

In this matter I don't really have any stakes, I just delivered native insight and based my stance on what said native said.

You like to talk about a lot of things, so you should be able to discuss said things too, not just go on the defensive.

Facile
>Je peux toujours recoueillir des baies
>Je dois retrouver mon portafeuille

Moyen
>Tous les bonnes personnes cherchent de l'or, habituellement
>Certains personnes sont désespérées, mais la plupart veut t'aider

Difficile
>Je ne peux pas t'aider, puisque je ne te connais pas. au moins que tu ne nous aide pas on ne peut pas rendre la pareille
>Seulement les hommes savent comment écrire. Aux femmes il n'est pas autorizé car elles produisent une qualité d'écriture terrible ainsi que mauvaises proses. Les femmes ne peuvent pas écrire des livres qui soient agréables à lire

This is Scots BOLE here.

Australian and German wanted my voice. Here it is.
vocaroo.com/i/s1ErFmRT9NWJ

Estonians are a Finnic people aren't they? Their orthography seems relatively consistent. As for the standard language thing, that's mostly cause 'Finnish' is actually a bunch of related dialects like Norwegian and Swedish is it not?

is Russian Duolingo worth it as a total beginner to the language?

Better.
Can any Dutchman understand this?

Noice!

Celtic languages are one of a kind. I started learning Irish and Welsh, bu tnever went too far.
I should start reading the books I bought.

>Celtic

I just gave you a top tier example of alphabet-mixing and you neatly ignored it. In any case
>when you really mean it literally
What do you mean by 'it'?

...why would they? lmao

Emmmm... That is a Germanic language.

I can't remember who said it, but there was a claim I read somewhere that Scots speakers pick up Dutch easier (or did so in the not too distant past) due to conservative vocabulary and perhaps closer phonetics.

Thank you.

Scots is much closer to dutch than English, mainly due to trading and lots of dutch immigration up until the 16th century.

sounds like a load of crap desu

Easy
>I can sometimes gather berries.
Nonnumquam bacas carpere possum
Oportet me sacculum invenire
Medium
Plerumque omnes boni aurum desiderant
>A few people are desperate but most want to help you.
Pauci desperant, plurimi autem tibi succurrere volunt.
Hard
>I cannot help you, since I don't know you. Unless you give help for us we cannot pass it on to you.
Succurrere tibi non possum nam te non novi. Nisi nobis succurres, nec nos tibi.
>Only the men know how to write. Women are not allowed because they produce terrible writing quality along with poor prose. Women cannot write books that are enjoyable to read.
Viri tantum recte scribere sciunt. Feminae autem non possunt, nam illae terribilem scripturae qualitatem faciunt pauperrimamque prosam. Itaque feminae libros amoenos scribere non possunt.

I'm sorry, I read your post but I don't know what you're talking about. I've never seen someone mixing Latin and Cyrillic while writing in my language

On the other hand, your example word of "writing" looks like Ukrainian spelling

Well to be clear, the transitionary period between what we know as Middle and Early Modern English had plenty of contact with Flemish, Frisian and Dutch traders to the point where there are lines in plays like this that the playwright assumes is common knowledge:

>Ick sal yow wat seggen, Hans; dis skip, dat comen from Candy, is al vol, by Got’s sacrament, van sugar, civet, almonds, cambrick, end alle dingen, towsand towsand ding. Nempt it, Hans, nempt it vor v meester. Daer be de bils van laden. Your meester Simon Eyre sal hae good copen. Wat seggen yow, Hans?

Well that's why I want to see how this turns out.

not him, but what year is that from?

Oh boy. I'd automatically interpreted 'the Gulf' as the Persian Gulf. I don't really know anything about Estonian so I have nothing to say in that regard.
Every language is essentially just a bunch of related dialects, but to my understanding the Finnish puhekieli is not so much dialectical as the written language was kept the way it was, without catching up to the spoken language's evolutions. The Finnish user will be able to explain it much better, I presume.

>Can any Dutchman understand this?
Without knowing which Scots sound translates to which Dutch sound, it's just gibberish, and even then the sentence structure is SVO like English, where Dutch and the other West-Germanic languages are, to my knowledge, all SOV. I guess the linguistically closest on the continent and therefore most likely to understand would be the Frisians.

>Scots is much closer to dutch than English, mainly due to trading and lots of dutch immigration up until the 16th century.
There was and still is also a large amount of trade (and in the past also migration) between the south of Britain and the Flemish coast, but other than e.g. the word 'bottel' being used next to 'flasche/fles' (flask) over here, or 'ghost' being spelling with a Flemish (archaic spelling) 'gh' instead of a 'g' in English and some linguistic similarities, there's no real mutual intelligibility. Therefore I don't think Scots is closer to English because of trading with the Dutch, but rather it held onto more of the old, shared vocabulary where English went ahead and replaced it. If I understood correctly, Scots uses 'ic' for 'I', but that's not because that's the way it's said in Dutch, but because that's the way it used to be said in all Germanic languages (more or less). It's certainly possible that intensive contacts with Dutch speakers aided the Scottish in holding onto the older words, but I doubt it'll have been the main reason.

1599, The Shoemaker's Holiday.

scots is to english what yiddish is to german

German is to Scots what gold is to lead.

>where Dutch and the other West-Germanic languages are, to my knowledge, all SOV.
only in subordinate clauses though, right?

thanks

>Every language is essentially just a bunch of related dialects
Yeah my bad, my comment was mainly on how those Finnic languages tend to be quite disparate from one another.

>Easy
>>I can always watch the movie later.
Zawsze mogę oglądać film później (Now, I don't know how this looks "temporally". Should I use the perfective, obejrzeć, or keep this imperfective aspect of the verb)

>>I decided with/for easy pasta for dinner.
Postanowiłem użyć łatwy przepis na obiad z makaronem(?)

>Medium
>>It is not simply just your appearance but your personality that is important
Ważne jest nie tylko twój wygląd, ale także twoja osobowość

>>Everyone should try to make a good first impression
Każdy powinien zrobić pierwsze dobre wrażenie

>Hard
>>I couldn't believe what they were saying to me when I hadn't even done anything wrong
Nie mogłem uwierzyć w to, co o mnie mówili, bo nic złego nie zrobiłem

My claim was probably too radical because come to think of it, I can't recall seeing mixed alphabets while I was in Serbia, either. It's just the personal notes and manuscripts, so I guess the statement should really be "people mix up the alphabets, but not on anything that's meant to be public or read by others". But then it becomes a bit meaningless because no one puts as much effort into a personal shopping list as they would into a (handwritten) sign or menu for their shop or restaurant. My claim was too hasty for its own good, mea culpa.

>your example word of "writing" looks like Ukrainian spelling
Haha, yeah, I thought the same thing.

I assume you're familiar with the political context here
You don't want to mix alphabets here, in Croatia especially. People will either look at you weirdly, or if you're in hillbilly central ask you if you're a Serb (and when you get asked such a question in a hillbilly place, you best not dwell on the answer and start not walking, but running)

Otherwise, mixing them looks schizophrenic first and foremost, without any political context, and second, we can count our erythrocytes to determine heritage right, let alone neglect such a thing as the alphabet

If you're learning either of these, feel free to ask questions

Whoever mixes up the two alphabets is a total brainlet to be desu

>only in subordinate clauses though, right?
Actually always, the only exception is in the simplest of sentences where there's only one verb and no subordinate clause to speak of. Some examples
>I speak Dutch.
Ik spreek Nederlands. (SVO)
>I have spoken Dutch.
Ik heb Nederlands gesproken. (SOV)
>I will speak Dutch.
Ik zal Nederlands spreken. (SOV)
>... that I speak Dutch.
... dat ik Nederlands spreek. (SOV)
>... that I have spoken Dutch.
... dat ik Nederlands heb gesproken. / ... dat ik Nederlands gesproken heb. (SOV) (I forgot which of the two word orders is the most used by the Dutch, oftentimes but not always it's the reverse of the Flemish word order)
>... that I will speak Dutch.
... dat ik Nederlands zal spreken. (SOV) ('... dat ik Nederlands spreken zal' is also a possibility, but no one uses it outside of poetry, and I think it technically counts as Frisian)
The more verbs, the longer the string of verbs at the end of the sentence.

>even then the sentence structure is SVO like English, where Dutch and the other West-Germanic languages are, to my knowledge, all SOV.
I assume you mean the V2-vf thing. Unless there's a way to get an SOV phrase in a really basic phrase in all of those languages that I don't know about.

>but because that's the way it used to be said in all Germanic languages (more or less).
From what I remember about this specifically from our good friend's comments, the "ik" pronounciation was a North thing and the "ich" pronunciation was a West Saxon thing.
But overall, that's what I thought as well.

Can you show an example with nested subclauses?

what do you do when you confuse two words that seem similar to you but mean different things? i keep confusing déchirer and arracher

useless?

Yeah. Scots isnt even a language.

>You don't want to mix alphabets here, in Croatia especially.
Are you saying some people do actually use the Cyrillic alphabet in Croatia? I thought Serbia was the only place where you were free to choose. Either way I was only referring to Serbia myself.

yeah v2, with the auxiliary verb pushing the main verb to the end.
do you know of any non-germanic languages that use patters like this?

You do what we're all (mostly) programmed to do in school. Divide the words in syllables and repeat, in any kind of fashion, until it starts traum... sticking in your head

De-chi-rer
Arr-ach-er

Repeat like a zombie, rhythmically, and after several repetition of either, say the meaning

oh ill make it sticky in your head bitch

I wouldn't know, probably not

>I assume you mean the V2-vf thing.
Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant, but it's easier to just say 'SOV'.

My inspiration's run dry, but if you give me some complex nested English sentences I'll give you their Dutch equivalents.

>obejrzeć would be more natural
>Zdecydowałem się na łatwy makaron na obiad
>Ważny jest nie tylko twój wygląd, ale i osobowość.
>Każdy powinien spróbować zrobić dobre pierwsze wrażenie
>Nie mogłem uwierzyć w to co do mnie mówili, podczas gdy ja nic złego nie zrobiłem.
The last one is polish exists rather in form "i couldn't believe what i was hearing from them[...]"

No cause it doesn't bother teaching you the runes first.

I feel like I'm missing the flow here, and it, in turns, messes with my words. So I know and understand a word, and then I go and use it wrong. I'm using my "Croatian intuition" to write because I relied on the "Same language family". The "looks-personality" sentence. In colloquial Croatian, you can start the Važni with a neuter, despite "izgled" being masculine.

For example the last part. I'd say "što su o meni govorili" (what they've said about it". Then I took that construct with "o" and transplanted it to Polish "co o mnie mówili". This extra "intuition" is starting to be a heavier and heavier weight

ok so what's a good beginner resource for written russian?

I'm going to use michel thomas for listening

Use the MT booklets and masterrussian.com as a starter. It has lessons on the left. Gender and case explanations in detail, each case has multitude of examples and every case has a dedicated page so it's not all cluttered. Verb conjugations are also neatly explained and endings are highlighted and provided examples

>My inspiration's run dry, but if you give me some complex nested English sentences I'll give you their Dutch equivalents.
It's dawned on me that I've never thought about how English breaks down nested subclauses.

Easy
>I can sometimes gather berries
A veces puedo recoger (unas?) bayas
Necesito encontrar my cartera

Medium
Todas las personas buenas generalmente buscan para oro
>A few people are desperate but most want to help you
Unas pocas de las personas están desesperadas pero la mayoría quiere(n?) ayudarte

Hard
No puedo ayudarte ,aún no te conozco,
>Only the men know how to write. Women are not allowed because they produce terrible writing quality along with poor prose. Women cannot write books that are enjoyable to read
Solo los hombres saben que escribir.Las mujeres no les permiten porque producen escritura de calidad terrible con prosa pobre.Las mujeres no pueden escribir libros que sean agradables de leer.

whats everyone learning on this nice saturday?

Attached: bvll.png (1209x1203, 527K)

oi

Yes?

>buscan para el oro
*buscan oro
>unas pocas de las personas
*unas pocas personas.
>la mayoría quiere(n)
Both are used but technically mayoría is singular
>solo los hombres saben que escribir
*saben cómo escribir
>las mujeres no les permiten
That means "women don't allow them".
*a las mujeres no les está permitido

lol wer ist mit mir? xd

Attached: 70822247_1428731157265847_7153605817780928512_n.jpg (728x956, 112K)

Warum...

thanks ,could it be "a las mujeres no les permiten" ?

Easy
> Yo puedo miro el película tardes.
> Yo decido tener pastas por la cena.

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

Yes although that sounds like if it's a fact that there are people forbidding women of writing, instead of an opinion.

mate

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V2_word_order
I'll probably look into it more at some point but so far it looks like the only ones that had it fully are ones that had a Germanic superstratum.

Is it worthy polishing up your accent if it’s mild?

No, it can be pretty charming

>you can start the Važni with a neuter, despite "izgled" being masculine.
in polish an adjective always matches a noun. In the last part there was "saying to me" in the original sentence, so it had to be "mówili do mnie" in polish.
Also your sentences weren't that bad. I have simply corrected them into the most naturally sounding possibilities + the most 1:1 translation i could get.

only if you don't like sex

Attached: Why+do+the+french+tanks+have+a+rearview+mirror+_6c902cb4a95fb0f454fcaff4773674b3.jpg (800x800, 134K)

the thing about duolingo mandarin that annoys me is the character questions yet no grammar lessons.

chinese sentences are easy so just organize that shit rather than a bunch of random ass sentences in vague topics like "people1" "work2" "travel3" shit

also why the fuck is there no fucking course for thai? latvian? icelandic?

>also why the fuck is there no fucking course for thai? latvian? icelandic?
Duolingo is not for lewd industries

How is the russian accent supposed to get me a sex

>Posso raccogliere a volte le bacche.
>Devo cercare la mia borsa.

>Tutti le persone buone cercano usualmente per oro.
>Alcune persone sono disperati però vogliono aiutarti.

>Non posso ti aiutare perchè non ti so. A meno che ci dai aiuta per noi non possiamo anche dare a tu.
>Soltanto gli uomini sanno come lamentare. Sicché sto scrivendo di cose altre mentre tu lamenti come puttana del cazzo.

a sex doll?

>also why the fuck is there no fucking course for thai? latvian? icelandic?
Nearly all courses are made by users, it's largely a matter of gathering enough native speakers to create a course.

>Tutti le persone buone cercano usualmente per oro.
"Tutte le persone buone cercano l'oro, di solito"
>Alcune persone sono disperati però vogliono aiutarti.
"disperate", persone si feminine
>Non posso ti aiutare perchè non ti so. A meno che ci dai aiuta per noi non possiamo anche dare a tu.
Either "non ti posso aiutare" or "non posso aiutarti", you can't put the pronominal particle in between the two verbs
When you're talking about knowing a person you should use the verb "conoscere", so "perchè non ti conosco"
"A meno che non ci dai aiuto", that "per noi" is useless as you already wrote "ci"
"non possiamo darlo a te"
>Soltanto gli uomini sanno come lamentare. Sicché sto scrivendo di cose altre mentre tu lamenti come puttana del cazzo.
The verb lamentarsi needs to be reflexive (most of the time), so "come lamentarsi"
"di altre cose"
"tu ti lamenti come una puttana"

It won't. Now speaking Scots...

>that "per noi" is useless as you already wrote "ci" "non possiamo darlo a te"

To be fair the English sentence was confusing already, it didn't make much sense.

Anyway thanks!!