Passive Link Node Operation

So I've done some research into the best way to run a node, and running Docker on a cloud internet like Amazon Cloud Service could be the best way to run a node with 100% uptime. Amazon Cloud costs 9.50 a month to run all month, and getting a TB of bandwith to download the 150 GB or so of ETH blockchain and all the subsequent bandwidth for dada calls would probably not cost that much. Running a node is the best way to increase your stack early on, and with only 13K link, I presume it will be worth my while to run these services externally regardless of the cost.

Are there any other anons planning on running a node? Id love to discuss this with other marines. We will all make it.

Attached: 1525717616411.jpg (750x793, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/LQrGVyvu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not after Dan neet-shamed me.

no, because you will have to pay taxes on a accession of wealth

I was going to make a thread myself about this. This would be good biz discussion to have. I just made my own little computer to run a node and I have an UPS, but I’m wondering if amazon has redundant backup system so uptime has a greater chance on AWS. I need to learn how to build a node first tho.

The article that references using Docker is literally just entering in some lines of code and letting it do its thing. Super easy.

AWS is what I am doing. I have a new PC I dropped 3k on but you can't rely on your home internet connection. I feel it's a long way off. Hopefully before March 2019.

have you tried it? i think you're in for a rude awakening. don't worry user. i know something you don't, but it will help you immensely. you'll know soon.

>i know something you don't

Attached: 1536450236957.jpg (399x400, 13K)

there will be tools and services available to make a node operator's job easier and cheaper. that's all i can say. and no it's not specific to chainlink, but it's one of the driving factors.

what kind of weird larp is this

one that actually isn't a larp for once.

meant for

Alright Ill bite, who's developing the tools? Will running a node be as easy as logging into normiebook?

unless someone runs your node for you then no, it won't be as easy as bookface. however, pooling managed nodes defeats the purpose of decentralization and i imagine that down the road 3rd party reputation providers will frown on it. things can be made "easier" though.

why are you talking like a fag just shill your thing and shut up

all in due time fren.

Thanks so much for your contribution of this thread.

Attached: 1536540546965.jpg (960x960, 75K)

you wanted to know if it will be easy to do this on your own. and at $9.50 a month? the answer is no.

Tell me why it will be easy in the future then.

The price of AWS wouldn't dictate how hard it will be. What are we missing here?

i can't, but you'll know within a few weeks.

What can you tell us?

You got a loisence for that larp there buddy?

Attached: 1536691915091.png (1011x739, 397K)

jk, i don't know anything... except i'm absolutely pic related.

Attached: 1536701262096.png (753x1024, 2.21M)

>tfw its coming in the next few weeks

Attached: 43770805.jpg (799x1023, 69K)

Fuck this faggot LARPER that's trying to slide this thread.
Back to the topic at hand, is AWS + Docker the best way to go right now? Any anons here tried it and care to share their experience?

Attached: 1537301241106.webm (640x480, 2.84M)

Masternode services can let you cold wallet your linkies so they never leave your possession. Idk how much it may cost. I run my own on services similar to AWS for similar pricing structures. Still must get your own API feeds to make your node a valuable contributor to the main net.

>tfw accept contract by large corporation to verify API data on open marketplace for a fair price
>dive into the blockchain arena and locate the correct API stream
>information is corroborated by other LINK nodes in a trustless blockchain environment.
>tfw VR headsets make navigating the block stream enjoyable

This user is a fag

Attached: IMG_6845.png (401x567, 555K)

Read this to start:
Some recommendations from me on running a node and aiming to be as highly reputable as possible with little downtime - @HuxtableJonny

pastebin.com/LQrGVyvu

also it looks like any node that want to be relevant will have to register with 3rd party reputation providers which ain't gonna be free either.
I was hoping that at least in the beginning neets will be able to make good money running their nodes just like early btc miners made money mining on their pc's 8 years ago, but I'm afraid chainlink network will be dominated by professional big dick nodes from the start

mostly a good guide, but a little misleading and not current.

you're correct, and you'll have to register (for a fee) to more than one to be relevant.

what's your take on the token-fud meaning that people will use nodes based on name recognition/trust and not collateral that they are willing to provide? are you gonna run your own nodes too or just holding link?

a combination will be required, staked link wont be the reputation metric for any contract of worth. some financial services contracts will require more, 100 point check, background checks, fraud checks, AML/CTF etc. Running data through anonymous distributed nodes doesn't make you immune to regulation

i am going to run a node (actually 2x for redundancy). you'll have to do this to ensure uptime because you'll periodically have to do system maintenance ie OS patches and grab the new docker image for chainlink. there are procedures to fail over your node on the chain.link site. i can't speculate about the token-fud. collateral, or penalties as the chainlink team calls them, are not required. it will factor into reputation. a node operator with no LINK staked will still earn LINK (though not much) because the smart contract creator is required to offer it in exchange for use of the network and the associated gas costs of the node operators. Of course this means that those running a node early will benefit the most based on the price increase of the token... as in it might be 10 LINK to cover gas costs now and in 6 months it might be .01 LINK.

>to cover gas costs
so we need to keep an ETH balance too. I've seen it all over the linkpool screenshots.

seems like an ideal time to get some ETH for gas

yes, you absolutely need to fund your node with both ETH and LINK

how can a brainlet like me set up a node ever

Attached: 1528371032377.jpg (208x242, 16K)

it will become easier, this much i know.

to expand on this a little for those that don't know, the chainlink node creates an ETH wallet (just a newly generated keypair) on initial startup. You'll be able to send ETH/LINK to this address and withdraw from it.

i don't really think there is token-fud, even if rep contracts are third party (and staking LINK isn't required) i can't see them completely discounting past reliability of nodes as a metric of reputation that they use; that's not to say users wouldn't perhaps prioritize big name nodes, but why would they ignore using a no-name node which is equally reputable based on past reliability? Also, i find it hard to believe staked LINK would add zero credibility to a nodes reputation. If staked LINK and past performance aren't factored in to the third party reputation contracts, and nodes are chosen solely on name, then virtually all advantages of decentralization are lost. This wouldn't happen, users would just use a centralized oracle from the beginning instead of ever considering chainlink.