R programming

Can anyone shill me on this language and how to land a job as data analyst, data engineer?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 9.26.06 AM.png (436x371, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/apache/incubator-superset
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

use python

I use both, but I find R Shiny very intriguing. The web application framework. I work in a traditional engg now, but developing web applications using shiny for interactive data visualization.

Yes, currently studying Data Science MSc and we basically only use R and Python.

My brother is a quant and he does the same.

By building your resume. How else do you get a job in a particular field?

python has bokeh

the thing i like the most about r is that you can use it in latex which is just the shit if you are writing papers

the drawback of r is that its open source and therefore a huge clusterfuck of tools with a very shallow documentation. you can do everything you want with r but sometimes its a struggle to get there.

def recommend it for academics who write their papers in latex (which is what you are supposed to do)

python also has superset, which is very fine.
github.com/apache/incubator-superset
R is gnarly and aweful. Doesn't offer much to offset this.

How much does your brother make a year? What else can I do with R?

Horrible GUI but unrivaled functionality
Used IBM SPSS too, but it's rigid boomerware
Python is SJW now

Attached: download.png (709x327, 25K)

>By building your resume. How else do you get a job in a particular field?
That what I am doing, but I need more inputs and career path track, since I am doing something completely different now. I did MS in chem engg, working in chem company, and no one knows a thing about these things. That is why i am trying to build shiny web apps, do some projects and change my field. Will certification courses help?- from coursera? Many people ask for work exp in data science which i dont have

>unrivaled functionality
this is blatantly false

Actually R Shiny is insanely powerful, without HTML,CSS, JS you can host interactive datasets on web

you can do that with bokeh, superset and a slew of other tools in python in addition to doing basically everything in the IT world with minimal hassle.

R is for academics, businesses use SAS

Damn user, didn't know about bokeh, it looks pretty neat.

He works in NY. Started at a large bank, min income of 100K a year ex. bonus. Currently working for a medium company earning 130-150K iirc.

R is for statistics, at least thats what people use it for as far as I know. So that's what you do with it. But I was talking to my brother the other day and he basically told me that he doesn't even use R anymore, just python for everything. In all honestly, I never really understood why one shouldn't simply do that to begin with. Why use R (OR FUCKING STATA!) when you can just download a stat package for python.

Hey, I did MSc in chem as well. Currenly studying data science :)

I don't think coursera helps desu but there are bound to be "real" exams in data science for which you can apply, just like CFA.

Is it an option for you to do a parttime MSc in DS? Or Quant?

I can online degree, since i dont want to quit this job becasue of cash flow issues, and who knows, after doing MS you might or might not land the job you want.

It's easy as fuck, almost any question you can get is already asked on stack overflow. Its free, so you can fuck around on your own laptop. It got a growing userbase and is already used by 2 million professionals

Just start with some tutorials work your way from there.

In my opinion, it's easier to start with R and then learn afterwards Python .

You should learn Python to

I finished my master's degree in something similar to Data Science a few months ago and started working recently. The languages used in the degree (also bachelor) were mostly R and python and a bit of java. I started working at a financial institution as a data scientist and I make around 2.5k euro (net) a month. Demand is great and you'll get a lot of messages on linkedin.

R's good if you don't mind being a corporate drone who turns spreadsheets into spreadsheets.
Python's cool wanna be a slightly less corporate (but still boring life) drone who does a few things beyond spreadsheet translation (but still mostly spreadsheets).
t. javascript engineer who works with lots of R and python modelers

job security through the roof tho

How old are you and what country?