For anons who have immigrant parents...

For anons who have immigrant parents, did you ever have to go through the experience of translating shit for them all the time?

Attached: 7D702B0A-D7AA-4E5C-8ED6-C192D8841FE2.jpg (661x752, 399K)

Yes, and I still do because I love them and want them to have everything they need.

Attached: post-582-1182858844.jpg (347x484, 73K)

Where are you originally from? You’re a good son

do asian americans actually vehemently laugh at their parents like this?

I found this on a chicano instagram so you’ll have to ask your own people that question

No, but my mom did.

Yes, it was always hellish, because I can't even speak my mother tounge properly. Imagine growing up in a household, in which parents and children can't have a proper conversation with each other.

Yes, My parents are Venetians from Italy

And they weren’t able to learn Spanish at all?

My mom was born in Indonesia. But they spoke Dutch there.

No they had to translate shit for me when I was a kid.

Attached: D6FtjxRUcAIs-Mp.jpg (1080x1080, 71K)

Yes they did, but once in a while my mom asks for translations or corrections for word lol

Ach Türke...

I can relate. I express myself best in English and my second language skills are subpar and childish. Feels futile trying to explain more nuanced issues. It's definitely hurt our relationship

For words*

yes of course
they stopped later on in life because they've become semi-proficient in English or just request Spanish papers/speakers for themselves

Spit in their face and tell them they are scum for emigrating and betraying the home country.

>tfw you meet your friend's immigrant parents and your friend has to translate their English

Attached: 1451011494217.png (650x850, 509K)

My father and mother knows german but I and my bother dont.
But on the other hand, I know english pretty well and they dont.

Attached: hahabenis.png (326x300, 26K)

Can you speak Italian?

Yes, i lived in Italy 4 years so i also know some Venetian

Can they speak Portuguese tho?

All of my family can speak english fluently with different accents despite never living in an english speaking country.

I regularly translate stuff to my mum. Cuz she can't speak angloid.

Yes

Yes, I lived in Italy 4 years so I also know some Venetian. I only talk in Italian and Venetian with my parents and only when we are talking with other people we talk in Spanish lol

Yes, but my grandparents have trouble speaking portuguese. All of them were farmers whitout school.

Attached: 1445052826975.jpg (252x252, 24K)

actually grandparents, my parents learnt Hebrew quite successfully

>parents need to send money to help relatives
>need to call the company to confirm the transaction
>i handle the call
>operator insist that i let the sender (my dad) take the call
>dad's couldn't understand anything that the operator said
>operator gets suspicious and cancel the transaction without refunding the 30 dollar transaction fee

such life for a 2nd gen immigrant

Attached: 1460373717403.png (556x430, 96K)

This story is made up.

Unless there is a war in your homecountry, what is the point of immigration to a country whose language you don't know? Or how can you have kids before fully assimilating. It's something that feels sort of obvious to me to put things in order one by one, but maybe other people feel differently about it. I would feel kind of lonely, living in a country with language I don't know

Why are Europeans so ignorant? This kind of stuff happens. I have to call for my gramps sometimes and they always want proof he’s giving his consent for me to speak for him. So first they talk to him for a bit and, in his limited and broken English, verifies that it’s him.

>My father and mother knows german but I and my bother dont.
How did this happen?

my parents are war refugees from cambodia. Canada is indeed lonely for them.

Why did you quote me if you didn't answer/talk about anything I asked/said

>Grand dad wants consent from his son
What's wrong with you browns?

My immigrant father left moment he learned my mother is pregnant so no.

What? It’s the people we’re calling that need to hear his consent. It’s a privacy and confidentiality issue. What if I’m just pretending to be his grandkid?

No, they didn't teach me their native language.

That sorta sucks

Not for my parents but grandparents yes they speak only french.

Yeah a bit, but at least I caught the local accent pretty fast and people didn't speak to me as a fresh off the boat. I kept asking them but they didn't want to teach me, when went back to their home country though, they felt bad. Litteraly EVERYONE who met me was shocked that I didn't speak the language and told them they should have thaught me.

Did you not pick up anything up as a child just listening to your parents talking to each other?

Imagine being this entitled. If you refuse to learn the language of the country you're in, you're going to (and should) have trouble. Get fucked.

Only "I'm going to hit you"
As warning when I was misbehaving along with "yes", "no" and " hi".

I live in Chicagoland and there are a lot of Polish immigrants. They are a great people and honestly the best of all recent immigrants. I wonder why they come here when they have such a beautiful home country with good values. Mexico, India, and the middle east suck ass so even though I don't want them to be here I understand why they are. It's sad to me to see the Polish leave their country and be assimilated into America.