Career (hack) advice

I just got out of college and I need to find a job. And I want to work in mobile development/machine learning.

I am 27 though.. and I don't want to start at the bottom the ladder at some shit company. Unfortunately though my portfolio is absolute shit. Not that I don have any experience though, it's just usually been something I want to publish (like spending months on creating machine learning algo's for crypto).

So my idea is this:
I am going to create a minimal/slick looking portfolio website. On this website I am going to post a bunch of projects I have "build", i.e. I am going to just copypaste a bunch of shit from the internet that looks interesting, and then modify it so it becomes difficult to trace the original source. For example, I will buy some android templates from a website, change them a little, and publish them. And I will post some modified scripts from kaggle.com pretending like I wrote them.

Is this a good idea? I feel like this is a pretty good hack to pretend like you are a hot-shit senior developer they should pay 100K+ a year.

Or am I missing something, and will this be a waste of time?

Attached: tumblr_lqzas7lVq11qb4xnqo1_500.jpg (500x375, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/degrees?id=107&r=site/view
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

*Not that I don't have any experience though, it's just usually not something

Sorry, I should really proofread by crap typing.

more pics

Please do that and then deliver more info op. Your JUST levels will be pertty high (if you rly do this)

If you have the experience to back it up it's probably fine (obviously) but if you don't know much about the fundamentals of what you're talking about you're either going to fail the interview or the job. If you're don't have anything good going on right now in your life, just do it and tells us the experience, if you start applying for jobs now you'll know more than if you don't, Jow Forums is probably a bunch of NEETs who think LINK will make them rich in the next two months

this is retarded... what did you major in? If you fake your portfolio you will just fail hard in your probation period or technical interview. 27 is still young, just start at the bottom and work your ass off. I did exactly the same and you learn so much during your first years you can climb the ladder pretty fast.

Artificial intelligence, and I know how to program. I am not completely bluffing, just very much exaggerating how great I am.

The average shit tier junior level job pays 2200/2600 euro, and the ' experienced' level job pays 4k/5k euro, and the top jobs 5k/10k.

My aim is 4/5k. I'd rather start at 4/5k as opposed to working my ass off for some jew for slightly more than minimum wage.

Which one has the AIDS biz?

Without education/experience chances are nobody will even finish reading your resume at some places. Portfolio projects can potentially bypass the HR, but cookie-cutter projects will likely get you nowhere... Especially if the company have already experienced candidates who finished some random bootcamp or online course - unless you bring something special you will be viewed as just one of those poor souls.

You will probably get homework task anyway if you are not at senior level. And later during the onsite interview you will be asked not only about your projects but about fundamentals: maths, stats, relevant parts about programming, etc... Hope you researched what stack they are using before the meeting.

Also you are misguided about what people in this role do. If the company is not explicitly research oriented then you will not be creating any new algos. In most companies your task will be to solve problems with already invented algos - by choosing the most appropriate solution or coming up with a way to get the most value of already chosen solution. By far the most time, especially at junior levels, will be consumed obtaining the data, cleaning the data, tuning and integrating the results into company product...

This is the dumbest larp I've seen in a while. There is no such thing as majoring in 'Artificial Intelligence'. Go get an undergrad dummy.

Op graduated from faker daker school only to get a degree in questioning his faker dakerness

I am very sure that I have a MSc in AI you dumb shits. I am not going to name my university because I don't want to give out too much personal info but just check this ffs:

ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/degrees?id=107&r=site/view

I have a degree (like I mentioned before..), and I do have some experience as a software developer, just not a lot.

Again I am not larping completely on my resume, I just want to exaggerate how good I am.

>career
>hack
boomers are never making it

sheesh dude with an AI degree you have your jobs lined up for you (I'm in AI too). My 2 cents, don't focus too much on the pay the first 4 years. Take a job where you will learn the most. Remember that if you take a junior job you will probably get away with taking more time to learn shit. If you step in as a medior, you won't get as much opportunity to fuck around and learn. 2.7k is around start pay, and it's plenty to live by. After a few years you can start looking for the big bucks

Well, that doesn't really change much about what I wrote. Inflating your credentials is just a way to get higher pay for you and you are not alone trying that method. Companies also are aware of something like this happening, some of them are prepared...

Anyway, I'm also from the EU, have you considered consultancies instead of typical software companies? Software houses that build startups for Americans tend to pay 2-3x more even at Junior positions... some finance related organizations also pay more than average, but unfortunately require stuff like econometric or understanding finance law...

Take note that everybody completely ignored mobile development you mentioned,

Why though?

If I want to learn there is more than enough on the internet to learn from. And I already do a lot of learning in my free time, so self-discipline isn't a problem.

A 4/5k job is much better on your resume, you get to work with smarter people, and you earn twice as much..

Braaaaap braaaaaaaaap

>Take note that everybody completely ignored mobile development you mentioned,

It's something I enjoy doing, and I prefer to work at a company that is involved with both. It is also something that will help me if I decide to create a startup in the future.

>companies are aware
Sure, but I am pretty sure I can make the portfolio website look quite legit. Also, even if 4/5 companies catch me, it seems like it is still worth skipping the junior position for 3+ years, and the let's say 60k+ salary difference (in 3 years time).

>concultancies
Yeah most job offers I came across were from consultancy agencies. The pay is a little better but still in the same range as far as I am aware.

Whats your undergrad? You are saying you have a masters degree in stem and have no work of your own to put on a resume? Legitimately retarded either way you try to go here.

Also masters degrees dont have majors, larpshit

Man fuck you. I just got out of the military and started college for Computer Science. I'll be 27 when I graduate and searching for a job. I'm not going to try and lie about shit I haven't done just to seem like I know what I'm doing when I really don't. You're a fucking faggot if you actually do this shit, not to mention you'll fail miserably if you did get picked up.

I would give my life to smell the ass on the left.

user, I still feel just portfolio may be too little here. Remember you just graduated, this alone makes companies see you as a junior. Even if you had some cool projects that you actually created personally - even this could be not enough, because those are solo projects, that did not give you experience in working with people, collage projects are also not enough to learn culture of software development. This can be easily seen through by anyone who cares enough. Although I'm not sure how much of it matters in case of ml/data science, soft skills like communication are something you should pay attention to. And junior positions are one of the places where you can learn this stuff relatively risk-free. Not sure why you mention 2 years, I've seen people go up less than a year in and one local company even has 3 months long juniorships. So in summary you not only have to get "senior" label, but also loose the "fresh grad" label... Usually people do it going from one job to another, aiming for bigger things and inflating their achievements in previous position - which you don't have...

But I admit, skipping the level is tempting. How about you also give a talk at local meetup about some advanced yet still useful stuff related to ml? Or publish some non-trivial findings on the web? This way you could establish yourself as an expert in some niche. Presumably people who do those are being approached by companies looking for talents... or so does the urban legend says.

oh nooo english is not my native language and I accidentally phrased something incorrectly on a japanese basket weaving board

what do you think faggot

You are going to be so pleasantly surprised ones you find out how altruistic the business world and your future employers are. Brown-nosing colleagues, bosses that jew you out of over hours, all kinds of fun stuff. Speak to me ones you have done a real job fucking pleb

I've worked at a software company before, but only for brief projects which aren't IMO worthy enough to lift by junior status. I know how it is like to work at a software company, and I feel like it is all very much overrated.

Yeah ' GIT experts', ' Scrum masters' , etc, all sound very awesome, but ones you realize they symbolize roughly an 8-hour course worth of knowledge, you start to understand it is all overhyped bullshit. As are most things within companies.

Nonetheless good points, and thanks for the feedback. I agree that the lack of previous working experience is still a problem.

What type of companies do you think will be best suited to move up quickly from junior to senior? A traineeship maybe? Or will that make things even worse?

Attached: 1540935268029.jpg (244x207, 19K)

After Jow Forums and /x/, Jow Forums is probably the dumbest board. Holy shit, faggot. Kill yourself, you entitled dumb numbskull.

About the expert thing I was thinking of something in line of giving talk about say latest advances in structure mining or word embedding and/or publishing article about how to do useful ml computations on mobile devices - something like those, except more tailored to local companies you want to try you luck with... (make sure their people actually attend those events)

I would guess smaller to medium companies, with roles and rules about progression more loosely defined. Startup would meet the criteria, except it's probably shit choice otherwise. There are also companies that specifically advertise fast and transparent progress as their advantage and good reason to work for them, often they also try to be "modern" in other ways too, one software house in my city is like that, the hope to land clients from Silicon Valley.

Some things I noticed when looking at job ads is that sometimes what one company requires for regular position is just a junior in another or that sometimes positions with identical name may have great disparity in required experience, finally some companies appear tn not hire juniors at all, except that they do and just don't call it that way... If you are little lucky with local job market these could be utilized to a great effect.

In at least 2 local companies there are bonuses for giving public talks and authoring open source, which proves that there may be other ways to progress than just clocking the years...

Daaaaamn whygirls got booty like that now???

Yea and I'm not going to become one of those fucking pussies, and you shouldn't either you fucking jew.

What about actually doing such projects?

I've been grinding out personal shit while running my own business for 2 years and am looking for something with more relaxing hours compared to 15 hour days.

Think I could jump to midlevel with my own company as work exp?

Attached: junnserizawa.gif (400x225, 1.78M)

sauce faggot!

Bump

Attached: 1534059654224.jpg (640x432, 110K)

I like your work user. You mike be jut what we need in our organisation. How does a 3 month fix contract unpaind intership sound?

>my portfolio is shit
>i have no experience
>i have no work ethic and want to cheat
>i just got out of college at TWENTY SEVEN
>but im not dumb i swear

You're not going to fool any principal level engineer into giving you a job. In fact, they're going to interview you, thank you for coming, promise to get back to you quickly, and then laugh at you after you leave with the other engineers.

t. engineer who interviewed some shit tier larper like you earlier today

Attached: mcfadden.jpg (500x375, 37K)

>Think I could jump to midlevel with my own company as work exp?
Yes if you are a successful entrepreneur you can certainly find somebody willing to pay you six figures.

What if you are in the same boat as him but your company isn't doing so hot?

I tried the entrepreneurship meme but it turns out being 25 with no business experience makes it hard to run a successful company even if your tech is spot on (I really hate the government and their regulations)

>quarterly estimated taxes due goy

Its not a meme. It's a learning process. You don't fail until you give up.

imagine the scent

Attached: soykinscent.png (4151x4655, 699K)

same, been doing "entrepreneurship" bs since i was 15, now 28 and have like 15 failed projects under my belt and a somewhat successful online service that makes me a few thousand a month but i fucking hate it and i rather finesse someone into giving me a remote job.

mostly doing large scale web scraping now and i'm a brainlet that knows python, nginx, db's and stuff like that.

i'm wondering if there would be any options for me? i don't have any work experience and i dropped out.

Attached: 1535334582596.gif (220x184, 8K)