The dividend yield is 17.84%

The dividend yield is 17.84%

So if I buy $20,000 worth of this stock do I get $20,000 x 0.1784 = $3,568 per year?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 6.34.24 PM.png (1814x930, 196K)

You actually get more because of Capital Gains. Would be closer to $5,000.

yes

yes
GOV is having a merger though, research it

Someone explain dividends to a new faggot at stocks?

Do certain stocks have a single day of the eyar which they just pay you out the div?

Or do they do it many times per yea ron set dates? how does it work?

SO THEN WHY THE FUCK ISNT EVERYONE BUYING THIS?

what is the downside here?

A few times a year usually. Stock price usually goes down by the amount of the dividend, and money magically appears in your account.

Isn't 17.84% based off of the price of the stock though? You'll only get that much money assuming the price of the stock when the dividends are recorded does not change. If share price is dropping, so will the dividend yield in terms of the sheer magnitude of cash you get. You will get your 17.84%, but in proportion of market price per share.

The risk is presumably that the dividend gets cut and the price goes down and you're left holding bags

Because what if this goes to 7 dollars? Now you're down despite your fancy dividend.

That's not how it works, dividends are paid out in some amount of $ per share. If price drops and the dividend stays the same, dividend yield goes up. Of course they're free to reduce the dividend anytime, regardless of what the price does

I don't know anything about this stock, but if you look at the 1 year history the price has been cut in half, that explains the high dividend yield, not a good sign.

exactly. The dividend is up to convince people to hold on to their shares and not just sell off and make the price go lower.

Is yield always calculated yearly even for stocks that have quarterly payouts?
This stock for example, is the 17.84% the amount you get yearly? What if it was quarterly, would you just split the 17.84% in three payments?

>quarterly
>3 payments

How about you answer the questions instead of being a faggot about a typo.

apparently they can change the dividend to whatever they want

Its a high yield reit dude. These things have trapped investors for decades

If you are lucky enough to buy the bottom, you reap the rewards, but you probably wont
income investing is shit and will be shit for years to come until the rates stops rising

>income investing is shit and will be shit for years to come until the rates stops rising

its paying out 18%, how is it shit?

If it goes down 18% this year it doesn't really pay out anything now does it?

If a extremely risky mortgage bond pays 7-12%, and I mean risky, then what is this?

OP could be a special dividend from the sale of something. Could be because a lawsuit is in place, etc. Idc tho go do your own research you lazy shit

Interesting, Alternatively I wonder how much he'd make in the same time frame by buying the shares and selling a covered call? The shares would probably get called away for the dividend though