Frugal Living Thread

Drop your best tips to spending less money and living more frugally

Attached: Coin-Money-Saving-Jar-Wallpaper.jpg (1920x1200, 163K)

use the resources you already have before going to buy more

call the bank and see if they'll refund that fee, they usually will, especially if you've been a member for as long as I have

get to work early... on that note gotta go

Abandon your family

-live near work/school to save time/money on commute (though if rent is more expensive
there you'd need to do the calculations)
-share a house (I've done it before and I fucking hate it, so personally not willing to do this again for my mental health)
-walk/cycle everywhere
-cook all your own meals, little or no meat if you can handle it
-no alcohol, smoking or other drugs
-free/cheap hobbies (reading, hiking, etc.)
-don't buy shit you don't need
-turn the heat down or off, wear more layers

Better to start with the big stuff like housing, transport, etc. before you start nitpicking about coupons and shit.

Use both sides of toilet paper. Spend 50% less.

Use cash not cards

Dont buy alcohol, drugs and expensive food. Dont play video games, dont watch shows and movies. Study instead.

learn to repair basic stuff instead of rebuying everytime it breaks

>live with mom until you're 35
>eat ramen with egg or rice and beans for every meal
>never go out-ever. Friends are a bad investment
>never date, women are a bad investment
>steal coffee from work
>steal toiletries and cleaning supplies from work
>walk everywhere- public transit is a scam
>cars are a scam
>bicycles are a scam
>work a side hustle off the books- taxes are a scam

wholeheartedly agree with everything including not sharing house with anyone

also if in need to finally buy something that isn't too personal (that is clothing, bedding etc.), like electronics or mode of transport, consider second hand or time it for sales and discounts off season

>get a cheap gym membership that's close to home or work
>make gains
>save water by using the showers
>save in medical bills by becoming more resilient to injury and disease

If gym is too far/expensive, look up 'Recommend Workout' in re d d it. I would strongly suggest a pull up bar.

this but unironically

Find online bank with free debit cards with free ATM rebates, unlimited coverage for ATM fees

Use cards not cash for the cashback and consumer protection

order on deliveroo / ubereats
enjoy your meal
say the restaurant forgot to send you the dessert / drink / mozarella sticks
get a refund

Attached: 625-full.jpg (136x102, 8K)

what modern items can you repair? everything is made of cheap plastic that is meant to break at some point and can't be repaired.

That is unrealistic. You have to have some fun in your life.

Cook large batches of inexpensive food at home to save time and money
Steal food from your neighbors fridge when they're gone. This will save money and help you build your B&E skills
If you have a low-rate mortgage, invest your money in an index fund instead of paying it off
Panhandle for change during your lunch hour

>Frugal Living Thread
Ahahaha. We bear market huh

>take caffeine pills ($3 at walmart for 3 months supply) instead of drinking coffee
>brush your teeth after every meal so you never have to give money to the dentist
>buy food staples in super bulk, 50 lb bags of rice and dry legumes
>never turn on HVAC
>never spend money on a bitch (no broke bitches)
>pirate all digital media and entertainment
>never go out to eat, drink alcohol, or do drugs
>overeat whenever free food is available so you don't have to eat for the next 2 days
>either sublet rooms in your house or downsize to a 300 sq ft studio apartment
>home gym

Attached: 146431228650.jpg (400x500, 37K)

>not getting free money from cash back

Attached: shig^-1.jpg (200x200, 6K)

Blind and/or cripple yourself for free disability money

Can’t have a home gym in a shitty studio apartment. You would need to own a house for that

The more fun you have, the less money you will make

Any suggestions for a side hustle?
Caffeine is a Jew trick

A few examples

>computer mouse
Even the most expensive shit will use OMRON microswitches. Once they go bad you get double, triple or failed clicks. Instead of buying a whole new mouse you can disassemble it, open the switch, straighten out the tiny copper clicker, put it back in. You know have a few hundred thousand extra clicks in your mouse.

It can be tedious but if you wanna save time you can buy entirely new microswitches for less than $1. Maybe $2 for the highest quality shit. You just solder those in.

>headphones
When a side dies, or both, it's more than likely the cable. Just solder a new cable, save potentially hundreds.

>glasses
Look up the Luxottica monopoly. If you absolutely need new glasses, paying more than $40 (for a high quality alloy frame+Rx+special lens treatment) means you're getting massively ripped off. Once I learned about this I'm disgusted when I see stuff like "Starting from $99!!!" for the cheapest plastic shit locally. Luxottica owns everything, probably even the clinic you go to.

For years I've been ordering then from Aliexpress. I've also heard decent things about Zennioptical. Non-luxottica glasses will have the same or better quality than popular brands but will cost HUNDREDS less.

Also, you have a right to a copy of your prescription. So basically
>get tested locally
>order non-luxottica glasses

gyms are scam
run each early morning for 20-30min for cardio and learn to *properly* deadlift at home for strenght and muscle building. Deadlifting is the most efficient exercise employing almost every muscle in body at the same time.
Deadlifting is only approved exercise by bullshitkiller, based Nassim Taleb

Attached: 9780812997699.jpg (338x450, 39K)

>This will save money and help you build your B&E skills

W-what are you supposed to apply your newly built up B&E skills to?

can confirm the luxotica scam
zennioptical is the way to go for me

I can do a dumbbell workout in a jail cell if need be.

I can also run around the block or at the park for cardio. You don't need to pay a monthly subscription just to exercise.

I am a runner myself. You can get pretty fit just doing body weight exercises and outdoor cardio. You don’t need to be a body builder

>non- luxotica glasses
you mispelled the based zennioptical
when ready to checkout them, google for zennioptical coupons, you will almost certainly and anytime find one giving you 5-10% off just by 1-2mins of googling for them

It's a fun hobby and could lead to a profitable side business

Jumping on a mini trampoline exercises every CELL in your body. It's safer and cheaper than weights.

bike/car, stuff in your apartment/house (shower, toilet, sink, most of the times only small parts break or fuck up)

electronics are obviously hard to repair, but a quick check if its just the cable can save quite a lot of money. also "repairing" your PC, aka replacing specific parts is a hundred times cheaper than having someone else do it

just some examples, theres tons more to repair on your own (fixed my fence last week)

Yeah, well, jumping rope exercises every ATOM in your body. It's safe and cheaper than trampolines.

If u are young and into extreme living. Check out the iceman wim hof and live in colder home a d take cold showers you will feel more alive than u ever have before.

Snake juice fast and eat almost nothing. Huge savings. No drugs or alcohol.

Its a weird one but i have an ikea led fake candle. I love the chilled feel of it and i charge it from usb so it's cheap as hell. I use it most nights instead of lights.

Attached: 20181111_004843.jpg (3264x1836, 1.24M)

K N E E P A D

I pick up a shift at a bar every couple of weeks, just when they run functions and need an extra pair of hands.

Cash in hand, £50 for 6 hours work

Not sure if this is classed as a side hustle

>a profitable side business

I know the clearance rate for burglaries is only like 10%, but any high value heists or consistent patterns and you're bound to attract attention/slip up.

Grow your own free and healthy food in guerilla garden. Take cold showers, to strengthen the immune system, then you save money for medicine, you just don't get ill.

Also cold water much cheaper than hot so it's win win situation.

But that's also part of the plan. There's no cheaper and more frugal living than in jail

Getting caught is part of your plan?

If you own the building you live in, go into your attic and fix the massive leaks that I already know are in your AC ducts. Most people are literally throwing money out the window.

Knowing how to change oil and rotate tires is the bare minimum for owning a car. But driving your car costs like 60 cents per mile so you want to ride your bike everywhere anyway.

Buy quality clothes over cheap clothes.

Quality clothes are usually made with cotton and last a longer time, I have Hollister T-shirts with more than 4 years that looks new.

Make more money is better than try to save pennies, you always have to cut non necessary purchases, but its better to focus on earning more than saving more.

If I had focused on saving more I wouldnt be able to find the things I did.

From a guy that lived on a favela, nowadays pay the rent of a good house, pay all bills and expenses and will probably retire before 25.

>bicycles are a scam

Sure, I'll just spend 4 hours every day walking to work. It's not like I could use that time for more productive endeavours, right?

>Quality clothes are usually made with cotton and last a longer time, I have Hollister T-shirts with more than 4 years that looks new.

That's fucking stupid. Even high-end designer brands are still made in the same sweatshops, by the same 12 year olds in Bangladesh. They just put a different logo on it and charge 100x markup instead of 25x markup. Want your clothes to last longer? Don't use a dryer.

I'm wearing a pair of shorts that my parents bought me from Ross like 12 years ago and they're still good because I think it's stupid to bake your clothes to make them dry, when they will inevitably become dry anyway.

>Want your clothes to last longer? Don't use a dryer.

This.

Also, before washing, turn your clothes inside-out, that way your clothes will keep their colour longer.

Yeah well jumping jacks exercises every quark in your atoms and is much safer than jumping rope.

It's more like a win-win either way, amirite?

Don't eat out. Repair shit at home if you can before buying new. Case in point; Both my Washing machine and Dishwasher broke. Did some research, figured out what part on each was bad. Looked on youtube; saw that fixing both was easy as shit. Looked on Amazon; ordered both replacement parts, cheap.

So I fixed both machines at a fraction of buying both new. Both still work perfect 1+ yr later. Now the takeaway is that if said machine is like 20 yrs old then your better off buying new cause then it's like a money pit;always fixing shit. Some parts cost a fuckton depending on what it is.

>Bought my house
>Got $500 credit to replace the broken dishwasher
>Googled the problem
>Bought a multimeter for $20 and a new float switch for $30
>Dishwasher works and I know how to fix it if it ever breaks again
>$450 free money

>work a side hustle off the books- taxes are a scam

this is impossible since you're pretty much going to get paid by some sort of bank transfer. unless you're mowing lawns for cash or some shit

This, don't pay gifts to anyone, save $500+ a year.

Also become buddhist and suppress your ego and your materialism.

Same goes with your car. If you can fix it yourself, then your saving a shitload of money vs letting a dealer or mechanic do it. Another example; Got a damn good deal on a 14 Corolla. Only prob was the Dash panel was marred up/gashes on it. So I looked on e-bay, got a replacement panel same color,etc. Now the car looks brand new, still got the showroom smell in it kinda.

>if said machine is like 20 yrs old then your better off buying new

Not true, unlike the new machines, old machines have less electronics, so you can always repair them.

Same goes for cars.

This is such good advice, thank you.

>buys overvalued house from kikes
>claims $450 is free money

Imagine being this bad at math

>little or no meat
saving 20 bucks a week isn't worth feeling, looking and being shit. Stop spending money on processed food and worthless vegetables and eat as much meat and dairy as you can.

Meh, my area somehow wasn't hit by the ridiculous overvalued real estate meme. I bought my house for about how much it would cost to build one. If I was buying in Denver or Las Vegas then yeah you'd have a point. I don't know who is buying those 3-bedroom houses that need a lot of work for over half a million dollars.

lol

Attached: 1396176301582.gif (690x720, 1.42M)

See, your first mistake was buying a dishwasher in the first place.

it's all in your head

Lucky I got my house during the last market shit fest so it was selling way way below the actual value. Plus the owners were kinda desperate to sell due to the place they wanted was in a high demand area. Place came totally renovated; they easy spent prob 10k or more on the tile work alone (kitchen/bath). I dunno sometimes you can get a great deal if you look.

you forgot squatting. never forget squatting

Oh for sure it will be nice to have that many goy tokens, who cares about fun when you got tokens amirite?

Attached: how_hard_I_can_pee.png (667x645, 13K)

Best post ITT
>Pro tip
grow weed and sell it to college kids, or over the internet as extracts

If you need something right now for a task and you're only probably going to do it once a year then really just buy the cheapest, available thing right now. Props if it lasts longer than you thought.

If you need to spend +$50 on something you're going to use more than once a year then be smart and patient with your purchases. You can likely wait for a little and find better deals/quality somewhere else... hell even just waiting a week made me realize I probably buy twice as much shit than I actually need - now I'm great at preserving my money.

Finally, unless I have a great coupon or deal available I refuse to eat out unless it is for social purposes. That's the only time I can really appreciate the value of a prepared meal/ambiance and mixing in some booze with it (although I'm going to try to utilize a thinner flask to bring some with).

Fuck it - one more. Unless you have a job that doesn't provide a company car and you need to drive with clients you really just need some reliable used vehicle. Black/darker colors hide dirt and shit better and look 'classy' but even more so a comfy interior is great to drive in. I also swapped out my OEM speakers with some 'best bang for the buck' type of line which I bought from someone trying to unload them at a good price.

Learn to cut your own hair. Bought my own clippers and learned to cut my own hair from Youtube videos, it isn't hard. Money saved!

This is true. Cutting hair takes very little skill and even if you fuck up, it's easy to blend it so nobody will notice. The buzzy tool costs like 15-20 bucks. Barbers are basically welfare queens.

Government offices may waive administrative fee if you say the document is needed "for employment".
In my country, everyone and their dog asks for proof of residence, a sheet of paper with the person's address and charges ~$6 for each copy. How does the government office giving out proof of residence know the address is correct? They ask me and basically charge me to slam a stamp on my statement. I learned that the government waives this fee if I state the reason is "for employment", tried it out and it really works.
Got to outjew The Man.

Based and Redpilled

My tip for everyone is cut regular sized towels into 4 mini towels or just buy cheap hand towels that's all a man needs to dry himself with unless you're some long haired Fanook. This will greatly cut down on your laundry expenses and you now have a fresh towel every time.

Attached: 1524456535715.jpg (540x516, 37K)

>home gym

Attached: 1530511500998.jpg (445x1280, 81K)

>>
CAN YOU JUST FUCK OFF ALREADY FAVELA RETARD?

>£50 for 6 hours work
wtf dude you'd probably make more money begging on a sidewalk
they're literally jewing you hardcore

You pay to stay in jail, here in FL anyways. Costs per day and it isn't cheap. $10 a month for gym isn't bad if you use the showers like you could

Also don’t wash denim jeans. Unless they are muddy.
Leave them hanging outside if they’re smelling or place them in your freezer. The freezer will kill bacteria and smells

las vegas actually is still pretty reasonable. prices are damn near mid-2000s prices. taking the recession into account, hasnt moved

I learned to cut my own hair, it's actually not as difficult as it sounds to do a clean job and not fuck it up, just looked at some basic tutorial youtube videos. Saves a couple hundred a year easy.

sell your semen instead of just shooting it in your sweatpants during intense internet hentai sessions.

Can confirm

>buying t-shirts
>2018

Do what I do.

Look up networking events in your city for startup companies. Go there. 100% guaranteed that all of the shit tier startups will have stalls giving away t-shirts, stickers etc. Don't even network just go, fill your bag to the brim with shit tier branded t-shirts. There you go, free t-shirts for a year.

Eat your own shit for a cycle or two and recycle nutrients. If you take vitamins, save your neon piss and drink it later. Those are just wasted nutrients.

Is it worthwhile to re-sell used electronics?

save cum to feed the kids

Redpilled as fuck, non ironically got me through my college days

Good thread, OP

user, a modern lightbulb costs

>get to work early
holy crap this. 15minutes early (OT) a day looks better infront of the boss's and would net me 2k extra a year