Defensive investing

Why are you wasting your time speculating on crypto and small cap markets when you could be engaging in wise passive investing through vanguard ETF's/Index funds and various other blue chips like Berkshire Hathaway.

Attached: warren buffett.jpg (250x250, 13K)

because we want to get rich off risky investments first before putting our millions into very low risk low return investments. a couple percent a year on 5 mil is plenty. you'll never get the 5 mil in the first place making 5-10% a year though. gotta either hit a moon mission or be a really fucking good trader.

I've got a few high risk stocks in the cannabis sector but the majority of your capital should be low risk index funds.

Because that's now how people get rich you insufferable faggot. Kill yourself for suggesting "passive" investing to a bunch of NEETs. Maybe when LINK hits $100 you can suggest this, so that we can preserve our capital and grow it safely. Fuck, you're retarded.

> 'Invest' in funds near ath right before boomers retire
Thx no thx grandpa

>link
>$100
Enjoy your memecoin scam.

Attached: 1493927158761.jpg (233x267, 5K)

I'm trying get the right blend between Buffet's style and Peter Lynch's style as well. Looking for good long money, but it's tough.

thats not how you make it. but thats also not how you lose it.

it all depends on your goals and level of risk you are willing to take on. If i wouldnt have gone all in on crypto when I did and only been like 1-10 % in i wouldnt have made it like i have. But I realize other people took same path at the wrong time and are justed right now.

Most people at biz want to make money quickly , we all know there are easy low risk vehicles to put our funds in if we want.

We are definitely going into a defense type of trading now though like your subject suggest. I wouldn't really be long on almost anything for longer than a few weeks right now. right now is for sitting in cash and holding long shorts, playing super small term bounces. People holding long term passive investments are going to watch their perceived value go down A LOT over the next few years if they don't trade defensively and sell into cash

Just buy Constellation.

I'm in it for the next 20-30 years. I don't care about a few losses over the next 5 going into this bear market.

Dude if you think you're gonna go down in the next 5 year just hodl cash, then when the market ticks back up put money back in.

I'm holding cash but I still put a bit aside every month for some VYM, VTI, and BND

thats the attitude of a passive investor. most people are like you. they don't really look at charts or care about trends, just put their hard earned money into companies they like slowly over time. You can be a passive investor if you like, but it is much more rewarding to take those chains off and be an active investor. Like the other user said, if we're all pretty sure this is the top of a 10-15 year market cycle, and youve seen what the equity charts look like... (they are all up like a bajillion percent the last 10years), why put any money into that. you'll just lose value on that when you couldve been holding cash and bought a larger share by waiting. idk its up to you. I always here people say they don't trade because of tax reasons but thats after they are down like 50% lol, its a really bad reason not to mitigate your losses. its not like you owe money on a trade you've lost money on, and buying equities at the top of a market cycle isnt exactly positioning yourself great for a long term cap gain event...

Buffer was a millionaire at 25 (127k in 1955 dollars). You aint gonna get there by investing your spare 10k/year in index funds

>link above 2 dollars
My fucking sides

No one is gonna get there. That ship has sailed. I just want to be reasonably comfortable.

Don't say that, I wanna make it and make enough to leave something for my kids someday ;_;

The only way is to do a mix; Long term is buying company stock which will be with us in 30 yrs (Disney for ex). Short term; for rapid profit growth which you sell right at the top end and dump that profit back into your long term holdings for the sweet fat div payments.

reminder that you only need to hold a stock about 3 days before the dividend date to receive the dividend. you dont have to hold it all year. just realised taht today after doing some googling

>no-link completely assblassed at the fact that Link is going to replace the dollar and become the world currency
Cope harder faggots.

Attached: 1541526532722.png (1000x1000, 996K)

Youve read all the Graham and Fisher books right user?

The VAST VAST majority of my money is in a "medium" risk mutual fund through the bank that handles my TFSA. I don't have the time or energy to make my own portfolio. Nor do I have enough capital to fully make the most use of MPT on my own. I actually agree with most criticism of crypto but think it is a fun hobby, and mostly just play with old mining revenue. I dont ever expect to actually make money off of it. Even though I have made a decent amount because I have taken profits every time the fad got too crazy. That being said the general economic illeteracy of this board does my head in.

People get rich by working for a living then using the earnings wisely. Stop falling for survival bias retard.

I have the Intelligent Investor
But I have yet to read Common Stocks and Uncommon profits.

Anything else I should check out?

that's all priced in friendo. No free lunches.

Personally I have 6 months worth of cash, about 5% of my money in meme investments like cornbase and shiny rocks, and the rest in cheap ETFs.

Jesus this delusion
How heavy are your bags?

I'm kinda the same setup;
401k via employer
Pension via employer
Vanguard Target Retirement Fund via brokerage
Individual stocks via brokerage.
Savings

Will I be "rich" after 20 yrs? Depends; if by rich you mean able to just kick back after I retire and not have to work unless I want to, then yeah I'll be rich. If you mean having a few million in the bank, hell no, unless my bio tech company stock really takes off and surprises me.

thats what my 401k is for. vanguard 2065 retirement fund

>tfw £200 dividends per month
>tfw I'm a NEET so its all tax free

Just need to inherit my parents house and i'm set for life

livin the life

I think the biggest thing is to realize that the days of investing say $100 and walk away a millionaire after 20 yrs is almost gone. That's only a pipe dream unless you get real lucky and invest in like a bio company that takes off. Also don't invest any amount unless your willing to lose it all. If you can't afford to lose it then you best wait.

Great, Ill be able to retire in 250 years. Thanks for the sage advice

>Working for a living
>Wages haven't risen to compensate for inflation in almost 50 years.

That'll be the retirement age when you're eligible to retire anyway. Nigga you're gonna be working past the grave.

True this; Sad but true, depending on location,etc you can make more at Walmart or MCD just starting than some dude who's worked at some company for 12 yrs. Hell I know a papa johns delivery driver around here who makes 15 per. That's not counting tips.

Well, I've got a little bit in speculatives but I'm trying to move away from speculative markets. Last time I bet on a good Earnings report for Aurora and Canopy growth. The earnings report for Aurora was pretty good but the stock still plummeted. The Report for Canopy wasn't great but still decent. That stock went down quite a bit as well, so I'm not very comfortable with speculation even though I didn't sell and don't plan on selling for two reasons:
1) Mainly because those are still two of the biggest players in the pot market.
2) Because it's dumb to sell in the red unless a company is under insurmountable debt or under investigation.

I take most of my lessons from Buffet and Graham and I've learned the hard way that it's better to put your money into safe investments rather than risky bets. I'd rather have a couple million in 30-40 years rather than potentially having nothing.

That's why you have to set up side hustles. If you're poor you have to work for your capital before you can even get started in any markets, whether it be crypto or stocks. You won't start off with much but it's much better putting your money into high quality investments rather than a savings account. A savings account offers no risk but no reward, when you account for inflation you're essentially losing money. High quality investments offer a bit more risk for much higher rewards while still being low risk over the next few decades.

Did Warren Boofer have a large starting capital?

He had an upper middle class level of capital. With that said, he knew how to make deals and he understood value.

When Buffet dies the stock market goes with him.

Good. I'll be buying.

>I'd rather have a couple million in 30-40 years rather than potentially having nothing.

That's just sad. You might not even be alive by the time you make your millions. And even if you have a couple millions in your old age, what good is it? Can you even enjoy that money? What if you get erectile disfunctions and you can no longer fuck Korean thots? I'd rather risk it all and off myself if I fail beyond recover.

I think his dad or uncle or something was a senator. His family was well off.

Lynch offers GARP which is more suitable- the idea is to just go low pe/pb and find decent growth. If you're good enough, use margin loans.

>margin loans.
I know my limits and I'm too dumb to fool around with margins

Yeah let's invest in the debt based system near the end of a civilizational cycle, solid plan bucko

I'll check it out, thanks for letting me know. Right now I'm still in the "I know nothing so let me read up on as much as I can" phase, but I do want to start deploying some cash into the market to see how it'll work out.