Crypto mining vs. crypto buying

I have been a small-scale miner for a few months and honestly I have seen it go to 19k and now I am seeing it drop to an eighth of that. Really at this point the prices don't even concern me and instead I just invest in gpu's to mine more. But at current prices I can't help but be tempted towards buying instead of mining. Any other miners out there that have made this decision and have a reason why or should I just keep buying gpu's/asics?

Attached: IMG_20170805_011842.jpg (369x567, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

qarnot.com/crypto-heater_qc1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You're going to lose your money

I'm going to lose my money buying crypto or gpu's?

Im leaving my miners on as the break even so its like im buying a tiny bit of coins each day and also theyre a good heat source.

I have no interest right now in buying more equipment. I may build myself a low profile Proof of Stake PC to run some stakers on and start dumping coins in it.

Mine yourself some ACM, block reward increased a few months back. Should take off once lightning is more widely adopted.

Sir the only thing you should be mining is Turtlecoin, get some shells

Asic resistance is a meme. You will always be competing against large mining farms who have the bulk of the hashrate. Look at what happened with monero, they touted it as "asic resistant" but when they changed the algo hashrate dropped dramatically, meaning there were secret xmr asics run by the mining cartel. Id rather not compete with them and just speculate, but to each their own

i mined for a couple months back. I literally just sold one of muy gpus on craigslist an hour ago. If crypto has another 2017 year then youll make money. But at these prices, buy the crypto. Hold onto your cards though. Once crypto gets hot again, sell them as their prices increase. Its always ALWAYS more profitable to buy crypto vs mining, unless you get extremely lucky.

whichever is cheaper?

I live in a shit-tier state with relatively low electric cost so its fairly profitable for me to mine even at current prices. From the way I see it, if I keep mining while the prices are low but the price goes up at some point in the future then it will be as if I had mined at those prices the while time as long as I haven't spent it.
As for the large scale mining farms, I hope to be a competitor one day so I have already acknowledged their existence. Should I go asic though or should I stay gpu? Frokm what it looks like asics are a cut throat game where you fight to make a profit in the end and its mostly profitable if you have a lot of money to invest in the first place (which I don't). So should I save up for an asic or just keep dumping cash on rx 480's?

I looked up 1080 ti prices out of curiosity and they are more expensive now even used than they were brand new months ago. Whyd nvidia stop producing them.

I think you can make money speculative mining coins but that takes a lot of active research and hassle

Mining pays my heat bill. Buying crypto doesn't keep me warm

what are you talking
Used ones can be found for between 450 and 700. New one goes for 850. Brand new they were 1200

Criptofags are over, minning is over thank god

Attached: Chinked.webm (368x640, 925K)

1080 ti? I bought most of mine brand new for $650-$700. Evga.com/Nvidia.com no longer sell them. Cheapest I can find is like $650 used on Amazon/eBay shipped from Latvia/Phillipines.

>I just invest in gpu's to mine more
'investing' in gpus to mine

Attached: mmmm-grayons-31666494.png (500x533, 66K)

I just want to say how much I hate GPU miners

Investing as in buying, since gpu prices typically fluctuate with crypto prices I usually just call them an investment.

Are you an asic miner or do you just not like the inflated prices of gpu's since it makes it hard for you to build a good pc?

You should just burn your money, that also generates heat.

lmao i'm going to have to use that one from now on. Heat generation aside though I still like the idea of passive income even if the whole "cryptominer instead of having a real job" thing turns out to be a pipe dream.

They're bad for crypto.
No coin is better off having GPU miners.
They provide no price support, they contribute NOTHING to security, they make life difficult for devs with their whining and they shit up every forum with their endless delusional LOW IQ HEAVY BAG SHILLING.
Fuck gpu miners.

Yeah now that I think about it gpu miners don't contribute much to the crypto-space. If crypto dies they can just yank the plug on their farm and sell everything at little loss. It's great if you are a gpu miner but not if you're just an investor. The downside to asic mining though is that a large portion of the manufacturers have pretty corrupt business practices. It would be nice if asics were easy to manufacture at home but we are forced to deal with these snake oil salesmen. At this point though, even with the cancerous manufacturers I am thinking about getting an asic just to try my luck. Does anyone here have considerable experience with asics that would like to give a few tips for a beginner if I do go that route?

gpus. asic mining blows it out of the water, its a more expensive entry point but it is actually profitable as opposed to how unprofitable GPU mining is when you figure in electric cost. good luck but u better crunch the numbers. its easy to lose your asshole quick with GPU mining.

I know who you are

>Laughs in browser mining...

Seriously... Hiro probaly does it to us and we don’t know it.

and who would that be?

FPGA's may become a middle ground between ASICs and GPU's

If you are going to buy a lump sum do it soon. Don't average in on the way up, if you are going to do that you may as well mine.

>heating your families home with bitcoin miners

I'm fucking laffin right now. I love you Jow Forums At least you don't have to pay for heating.

FPGA's are nowhere near affordable. They are definitely good for the long run though. My question is why they are so expensive. Is is a lack of manufacturers?

I unironically heated my room through Dogecoin mining back in 2014

If you think that's funny look at this
qarnot.com/crypto-heater_qc1/

Apparently companies not only think this idea is practical but have actually built products around it at this point. I heard somewhere else that there was an asic that was built to be an in-home heater but I can't find the link. I haven't really experimented with the whole idea since i'm just in it to generate more crypto but i'm curious as to how much people actually save on heating with crypto miners.

I guess so. No mass-production, plus it's more of a niche area, because one has to know what he's doing, like circuit programming, etc. So, not for retail miners. I heard bits and pieces, that some operations use their custom FPGA's to mine Monero

There is a company called SQRL that makes FPGAs specifically for crypto and they do all the coding and software for you if you buy theirs. The problem is that its 4000$ like the rest of them.

Thanks for the info, pal

from the floods last year

I would love to grab a few of those even if they are broken. Think of all the cool looking door steps and paper weights. Plus it makes a great conversation piece.