My friend owns a semi truck, but not a trailer. He set up his own trucking company, but I don't know much about it

My friend owns a semi truck, but not a trailer. He set up his own trucking company, but I don't know much about it.

He offered to hire me on the theory that it would help his business. I went on kind of a spiel about what kind of employee I would be, then he went out of town the next weekend (the weekend before last). I didn't contact him last weekend. I called him yesterday and he didn't answer, so I texted him asking what he's up to and commenting on the Vikings/Packers game (he follows football).

He hasn't called me back. Should I be worried or do you think he's busy with family stuff?

He has a wife, three kids that live with him (14, 13, and 5, I believe) and one that's a freshman in college by another woman that he sees.

We live in Minnesota, for what it's worth.

Pic somewhat related.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 70K)

this reminds me of the last season of Dexter where he survives the hurricane and becomes a long haul truck driver. how fucking stupid is that? pisses me off.

Where in Minnesota? I’m moving to mpls soon from the suburbs

this isn't craigslist, pervert.

So in Dexter, did he become a competent truck driver, or... ?

Like, I'm legit worried that I'd get into accidents and things, which is part of why I haven't given him a hard yes. The other part is that I'm making the most I've ever made and have somewhat job security as I'm one of maybe 4-5 people out of the ~15 person crew at my current job cleaning floors.

So I haven't given him a hard yes because I sound incompetent and self-interested. So maybe he's pissed at me.

Oh to answer you though, a lot of times ppl just bullshit about that kind of thing. Are you that desperate for a job you need to rely on ur friends shitty startup trucking co? You’d be better off applying to real companies and keeping him on the back burner

Eastern suburbs.

What part of Minneapolis?

It's okay with me he posts that if he's a cute girl...

>Are you that desperate for a job you need to rely on ur friends shitty startup trucking co?
Right now, with my skills, I'm lucky to be making $25,000/yr. With him I'd make like $30-35,000/yr and work 6-9 mo/yr, freeing me to make more money during the winter.

What’s the hourly wage for cleaning floors? Don’t you want to do something that doesn’t suck total ass? Are you like an NPC or something?

>You’d be better off applying to real companies and keeping him on the back burner
PS This might piss him off, and he's my friend, so I don't want to piss him off. Not to mention that he and his wife know people, and the people they know know people, so they might be able to help me find like a single mom or someone so I might be able to get married at some point (I'm 36 and very single).

I want to move to uptown to try to get laid. Let me know if you ever come down to Mystic Lake though XD

You can’t count on a job though until you actually start. He could lead you on forever! Also, your hick friend doesn’t have connections all over town, send some resumes out and try to land interviews, he’s not gonna find out

$17/hr, and I'm lucky to get it because I was un-/underemployed for a decade. The 2008 crisis didn't help anything, but a lot of it was personal issues being that I'm literally autistic (but I have a realistic grasp on what that means for me now).

Technically, I want to go to school for computer science, but I don't have the money right now. (I paid my mom "rent" with the understanding that she would help me with school later, but she spent it on home renovations). The idea is that, at least part time, I would teach job skills to other people with barriers to employment, because God knows people in the industry did fuck all to explain anything to me about how or why people do things the way they do in reality.

For example, I was in a job skills training class and I'd finished my lunch during break and I wanted to end my break 15 minutes early and get back to work. The lady told me I couldn't. I asked why. She just laughed at me and walked away. Later, the head of the program called me into his office and said it was a security issue, that if anything went missing, I'd be a suspect, which is an insipid non-answer, that's not why people don't do odd things to stand out in front of other people. I should've stayed on break to make sure the people around me didn't know I wasn't telling them to fuck off, because I'd need their help to do other things around the job site. I think. But que sera sera.

fucking faggots. this is what i'm talking aboot. every goddamn time.

Cute girls. I was just cleaning floors there yesterday. Went to this KhunNai Thai restaurant on break. Tasty, but their curry wasn't very hot.

>You can’t count on a job though until you actually start. He could lead you on forever!
He has a profit motive to get SOMEONE working for him ASAP.

I have a friend whose been truck driving for about 6 months now. he didn’t have any previous experience but he picked it up fairly quickly, he says it’s things like loading/maintenance etc that he finds the hardest.

But he does enjoy it and wants to keep doing it.

That's the kind of thing I was telling my friend I'd struggle with. I'm not great at creative problem solving, which is why I'd never be a good business owner. I can pretty much follow instructions, and I can pretty much explain what the problem is, but I'm not good at solutions.

I’m sure your friend or other truckers would help you out when you need it

The general expectation when you help someone out is that they'd be able to help you out, though, isn't it?

Wishing you the best, MNbrah. Sounds like you have a good work ethic, hence why the lady couldn’t comprehend someone ending break early. I agree think you’d do great in a field that encourages autism like CS. More specifically see if you’d be interested in machine robotics (being the robot overlord for precision manufacturing). It’s like only 2 years of school, all dorks with some slight forms of autism, and starting pay is like 60k. And they’re desperate for people here. Something to consider, I’ve seen total losers go this path and make more than me now.

Not always. My friend said he gets help all the time, truckers just like showing off how much they know to a newcomer, even if they’ll be a bit arrogant about it sometimes.

My friend talked about how many truckers talked about being Special Forces and fucking 10 women at a time. That was when he was over the road, though.

lol bump

you own any crypto?

This.
Was thinking about finishing my senior year of uni online cuz I thought I had good connections who said they'd get me a job great starter job I could do in the industry while I finish school no problem. When the time came I got fuck all back other then where'd you apply and yeah something will work out.

There's also this weird thing where he's in a rural area, so he doesn't get good cell coverage and if he's in the basement, he might not gotten my call or text. The text said "delivered," though.

your friend is probably dead

Attached: PixelPepeFedora.gif (112x112, 20K)

:'(

Based on what facts?

Attached: tumblr_inline_oiv4hwPxAQ1tzxi2q_500.gif (500x241, 405K)

based on the fact that minnesota is a somolian shithole

Attached: 1540354111639.jpg (1200x630, 73K)

That's not true, the Hmong are here, too.

imagine living in such a diversified shithole where Hmongs are the upper class citizens

Attached: 1540232006637.jpg (245x206, 12K)

I wouldn't say they're upper class, but they're very industrious and upwardly mobile. They teach Hmong at at colleges around here.

*generally very industrious and upwardly mobile. When you're talking ethnicities, you can only speak in generalities, but.

im unironically a diesel mechanic in mn

Attached: 1540661694185.jpg (690x1024, 117K)

How'd you get into it?

The only schools I know about... I know Century teaches driving, maybe mechanics, I don't know.

technical college

Attached: 1540657749671.jpg (640x480, 88K)

demand is really high anywhere will hire just about anybody as an apprentice

Attached: image0.jpg (400x268, 22K)

>Hmong
is this what Jow Forums mean when they call faggots like me "you mong"

Srs? Probably "mongoloid."

literally this or go to a community college that has a diesel mechanics course

Attached: 1543363121468.jpg (640x512, 53K)

Say yes and try it?
You won't know until you try.
Also people have lots of ideas and talk, don't assume it will ever happen.
The real question is whether you can risk it financially and the possibility of having no job at all.

I live with my parents and technically I don't pay rent.

They'd be pissed if I tried it, not because we need the money but because they're just ethically opposed to me working for someone who owns their own business, I guess

I figure unemployment is really low and now's the time to try new jobs and pick up new skills, but I'm more interested in the social side of working for my friend specifically than being a trucker.

What’s wrong with working for someone who owns their own business?

They haven't given a strong explanation, but I think the idea is that the whole reason entrepreneurs are important/better paid than your average wageslave is that they take risks, and this would be closer to that risk.

Don’t you work for someone now though? Unless you have your own cleaning business

It's a national company. Can't really offshore cleaning the carpets, so I would say there's not much risk there.

Other than if there's an economic downturn, customers will not bother cleaning their carpets as much maybe