/smg/ - Stock Market General

japanese shoegaze edition

Thread theme song: youtube.com/watch?v=G4CKmzBf5Cs

>I'm new to the stock market, what stocks should I buy?
Before you buy anything, make a brokerage account and read investopedia articles and/or the books in the OP list. If you don't have a broker, you can't buy stocks, and if you blindly buy things without understanding how the stock market works or doing any research on the individual stocks you're buying, you will lose money and it will be entirely your fault.

List of popular brokers:
pastebin.com/mrSchZPg

List of basic stock market terminology for newfags:
pastebin.com/VtnpN5iJ

Real-time market news:
thefly.com/index.php

Educational sites:
investopedia.com/
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain

Free in depth technical analysis charts:
tradingview.com

Premarket Data:
pastebin.com/y9PRQLR3

Earnings Report Calendars:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html
earningswhispers.com/calendar

Biopharma Catalyst Calendar:
biopharmcatalyst.com/

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

S&P 500 VIX Futures (For SVXY/UVXY, higher is better for UVXY, lower is better for SVXY)
investing.com/indices/us-spx-vix-futures

Basic rundown on options:
pastebin.com/vWhvyuCd

Suggested books:
pastebin.com/jgA5zTuC

Previous thread:

Attached: 51UOZWpVaqL.jpg (500x500, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dZPQdZLyHYE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WE BEAR MARKET NOW

wtf im lost everything i own first from crypto and now to stock market help

Should of sold in september or october

Think im going to just sell everything for loss. My microsoft, apple, amzn, nvidia. Down 7k for the year guess thats the tuition for buying into the boomer bubble

GIS is hitting the logarithmic support from 1992. This is the absolute bottom for real this time

Attached: kax.png (522x570, 596K)

*FACEBOOK BOOSTS STOCK BUYBACK PROGRAM BY $9B TO UP TO $15B

Bought LABU at 46 and sold at 50. Profit I made went into CRON which I bought in at 9 and still holding.

Price target for CRON is $20 (I know it can go higher but I hate holding one stock for a long time) then I get out and hopefully LABU is in the low 30s high 20s for me to go all in.

Got this all planned out.

I'm a brainlet, why are log scales used? What are they for?

QLD AND SSO BROS RISE UP

BIG GAINS AND IRON HANDS

Intel did this too. Intel also doubled its employee stock purchase program limits.

if you use a arthimetric scale then it loses all meaning after just a bit of gains, go use tradingview and change the DOW to monthly and turn off log scale and look how memey it looks

log is a better approximation of % change growth which is what matters

the stock market works in percentages over long period of time because of inflation and such...
So log supports are much stronger

>stock buybacks
turbocringe

Since many of you are clearly faggots I'll spell out whats happening:
>Both Trump and Powell have been susceptible to market sentiment, when they have a volatile correction and articles nationwide fingering them for blame, they are listening
>Trump has tied his name in with the success of the stock market
>Powell and the Fed are already signaling a dovish approach
>But the deals aren't signed yet. And much like a child throwing a temper tantrum the market movers will sell off until big daddy Trump and momma Powell signal in the clearest of terms that they will give up the candy
>That means we are near the bottom
>This isn't a bear market, its a power play

We may or may not be at the bottom but we're fucken close. The feds will stop all rate hikes, maybe even the December one. Trump will close the trade war and claim ultimate victory. We hit new highs early next year.

Screenshot this and then go back to wacking off all day.

Attached: 1540192190595.jpg (853x1066, 135K)

gay delusional bull

GOLDEN BULL WILL PREVAIL

Attached: 393014.jpg (2508x3541, 758K)

imagine being this desperate to find support kek

Attached: 1535065878787.png (1280x717, 891K)

Attached: 11711166-golden-bull-3d-render.jpg (450x317, 14K)

Here's your power play

*KER-THUNK* *WHIRRRRR*

Or maybe shit was in a bubble and it's popping like i knew it was gonna.

honestly sell anything that is above 10 p/e that you're not 100% sure has some patented fucking explosive shit with a great plan to sell it and will explode in profit.

novideo, mocrosift, apple, netflux, shintel, amazhone, teslo, doesn't fucking matter if they get more and more profitable, they're way overvalued even accounting for that. 5% earnings a year on price is fucking nothing after inflation. NOTHING

NOTHING
NOTHING

ONLY GREATER FOOL THEORY IS HOLDING UP THE STOCK PRICES ON ALMOST EVERY POPULAR STOCK

a fucking bort mission. no fundamentals are going to catch these stock prices when they pink wojak down. no buybacks are going to be sizable enough to stem the tide, because the companies can't afford it.

only stocks whose companies are very misunderstood and underestimated with huge profits and huge future profits that spend a large amount of that on continued buybacks might weather the storm.

Attached: 1514996259927.jpg (400x405, 19K)

whatever Rekucktant
Big dipper

Attached: GISlog.png (1573x795, 144K)

Friendly reminder that the S&P 500 posted a death cross today.

* algos.

>GIS is hitting the logarithmic support from 1992

Yikes.

>GIS is hitting the logarithmic support from 1992
TA is only useful for predicting shorter term market psychology, to a high extent due to self fulfilling prophecy because TA is so popular and bots know it.

The long term charts don't mean shit. Better to to try to guess what kind of bullshit analysts are going to shill and fud and what the next earnings report is going to be like for sub-1 year timeframe and for 1.5+ year timeframe, predicting profits based on fundamentals.

What do you think runs the market?

going to be joining GE soon.

I should have sold out a couple weeks ago when it recovered that teeny bit.

TA is based on a daily chart, anything else is a meme

theres a guy here that posts his 'TA' on the 15m or even the 5m chart and i cant imagine how much money that guy loses

Attached: 1518006720541.jpg (830x738, 121K)

>Should have bought UVXY at 47.8
faggots

Remember when people were posting bear-oriented images all the time last March? The markets went to all-time highs. What happens when the opposite is the case?

Noted. However, world events can turn that around pronto. It's the same uncertainty story. I don't consider this an insta-dump signal, perse. S&P is still posting higher lows since February.

Set stop losses folks.

Attached: SP500deathcross.jpg (1825x947, 508K)

Alright, so how do you stop inflation without hikes then, genius.

December rate hike has been moved to January so they're kicking the can down the road which, instead of falling from the third floor of an apartment complex now you're just setting yourself up to fall from the 15th floor of a hotel building.

Then let's post some bear pics, shoot. Come on, boyos.

Attached: bear_dance.gif (300x100, 28K)

Your chart..
I pray you are right

stfu, that TA is nearly perfect
was only talking poopy

w-whose t-that

>w-whose t-that

Attached: smug15.png (1280x720, 655K)

Who here bagholding since October?

Attached: 1534613589438.jpg (529x376, 50K)

holding TVIX over the weekend, all in. wish me luck.

So many bags

Attached: heavy_bags.gif (375x212, 1.52M)

>BREAKING NEWS
>President Xi agrees to bend over and take Emperor Trump's mighty pelvic paladin in the ass to show his good faith in the resolution of the trade dispute

I miss you ;_;

All in on RIOT and SFIX puts. RIOT hasn't been impacted by BTC's recent 10+% drop yet, and SFIX (a recent victim of the Web 2.0 bubble popping) has earnings coming up. I either make bank, or lose all of my funny money.

pomp eet

Attached: 1535757636142.jpg (236x214, 9K)

New addition to dude weed watchlist. Aleafia Health. That name sucks. A lot of these companies have garbage names. My favorite in the sector was Hydropothecary but they changed their name to the much lamer Hexo earlier this year.

Basic standard setup for the leafia. I want to see it hold support on second touch or just go ahead and break out of the descending trend whenever it decides to do so. If it breaks out, I will enter with 30% of the position I plan to take in the stock. If it proceeds to break resistance at $2.25, I up my position to 80% and leave 20% cash just in case of fortuitous dips. That'll be about the shape of it.

Attached: ALEF.jpg (1823x942, 414K)

And by the way, my last trades were LULU / ULTA puts and AOBC calls. The AOBC calls did a 10x on amazing earnings, whereas LULU / ULTA puts went to 0 despite the market reacting negatively as I predicted. Always remember to be careful with overprice options before earnings

Do you actually make trades solely on the basis of breaking / retreating from support? Do you not consider volume or other indicators aside from RSI?

No, it's a few different things. Volume is very important. For instance, if something breaks resistance on notably low volume, I'm not going to enter the trade until I see more volume come in.

I use a number of other indicators, depending. Mainly Stochastic rsi, MACD, and CCI. Occasionally bollinger bands, occasionally moving averages if a notable intersection is pending. Say, if the 50 day SMA goes above or below the 100SMA or 200SMA. If price action falls below the 200SMA on a descending trend I will most often liquidate the position right then and there. Stuff like that. My biggest problem is overcoming the urge to fish for trend reversals before they properly develop. I know it's a bad idea and I still do it. Constantly.

Attached: GondolaPoker.png (581x500, 173K)

I placed my Puts. Am I going to get rekt on monday? Or will I catch a nice profit?
Can't wait to get know.

THREADLY REMINDER THAT DIVIDENDS ARE YOUR FREN

Attached: dividends-monopoly-man.jpg (423x245, 19K)

>My biggest problem is overcoming the urge to fish for trend reversals before they properly develop. I know it's a bad idea and I still do it. Constantly.

Oh so you're me, gotcha

Green Monday.

>SPY death cross

Attached: 1507324440163.png (772x804, 414K)

Puts, nigga

>Oh so you're me, gotcha

lol. My worst trade this year was a dude weed IPO called Canopy Rivers. It's Canopy Growth's venture capital arm. I was convinced it would at least bull trap bounce after the initial public debut dump. I averaged down three times. It bounced once, for like two hours, and I missed the window. Lost 20%. So dumb. I deserved it though. Dumb trade idea to begin with, dumb knife catch, dumb cost averaging thinking there's gotta be some kind of short term upside here meanwhile the whole dude weed sector was about to break completely bearish.

Lesson learned. Never again.

Attached: 1511123092979.jpg (1024x607, 54K)

>Didn't buy UVXY.
I'm so comfy it hurts.

So what's your thoughts on TTWO family?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 6.31.22 PM.png (2366x1114, 632K)

green as in agriculture?

how many shares did you buy?

this cant be happening
Yoplait is the greatest yogurt in world. I would eat blue buffalo dog food too
Everyone loves Lucky Charms

god tier band

>ever feeling comfy holding a volatility index

if good news about china or interest rates comes out, you'll be down 20% in a day

Attached: 1528243312088.jpg (480x480, 24K)

Hokie dokie. I gave it a look and I don't like some stuff about it from the perspective of a medium length swing trade. If you're more of a long term investor, strategy is a bit different than what i'm going to talk about here. Volume is increasing on the descending trend. Not by a large amount but it makes me nervous. Two key resistance levels to break to confirm a bullish reversal; one at ~113 and another a ~116. There is something positive going on with the lows though. Three long term higher lows that fit a trend line (April, November, December).

You could either buy around that low trend line and stop loss below the $97.50 support for a fairly aggressive entry. Or wait for confirmation to see if it at least breaks the $113 resistance on decent volume. Speaking of death crosses, this stock is approaching one in coming weeks if things don't turn around (50 day moving average crossing below 200 day). Also consider whatever is going on in the vidya sector right now. I don't in to the business of vidya and have no idea.

Attached: TTWO.jpg (1821x944, 512K)

you feel smug now, but all the gains you made could be evaporated in an instant

I'm down 90% on my QQQ 175 12/21 calls

how fucked am i

Attached: 1543454112378.png (427x495, 286K)

Bretty fucked bucko

welp, won't be doing this again.

Attached: I consider this a lesson in gambling.jpg (750x1334, 115K)

I just convinced my GF to start investing 500 bucks a month

50% SPY, 50% MSCI Nordic Countries

Will she break up with me now?

She's already down 2.5%

Nice I love masu Dore

I'd break up with you even if there wasn't money involved. You fucking autist.

Attached: 1543356267645.gif (308x224, 1.7M)

Alright, since I'm a gay tripfag seeking attention, and so you faggots can track my trades, here is my first monthly report:

Period ->
8-Nov-18
7-Dec-18

Options ->
$SPY | 18 (0 bull, 18 bear).
$GE | 4 (0 bull, 4 bear).
$AMD | 9 (2 bull, 7 bear).
----------
Total 31

Stocks ->
$SQQQ | 5
----------
Total 5

Income to Expense Ratio: 3.5628
Assets to Equity Ratio: 2.1714 (+117.14%)

Not a bad month at all. Might do less trades this month though now that I'm part time wagecucking. I hope everyone had a fantastic red friday

Fewer* trades

For me, it's the FTSE250, the comfiest stock index.

no one cares about your thread spamming faggotass newtrip posts

She will sex you up when Trump delivers.

Flap your hands at her and tell her to chill. Everything will be fine.

EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.

Attached: AnimuYelling.jpg (600x338, 68K)

APOLOGIZE

Attached: NrEbICRM_400x400.jpg (400x400, 19K)

Sucky day. Actually was close to throwing up but I was to busy at work so I just took the hit and went on. Seriously thinking of giving KHC a look in January.

Attached: Stock List.jpg (512x636, 219K)

Every dip I buy more!

Attached: 1543974132524.gif (128x128, 10K)

>mfw didnt short the tip

YOU'RE WELCOME

My 207 NVDA bags..

this

>these other fags aren't in it for the long run

I am reformed! I buy the dip! I set targets prices for things I want to buy! I am big brain investor now!

Attached: 1532753213193.gif (200x200, 9K)

Actually right now my portfolio is tilted more in favor of stocks than funds atm. Will really tilt once the Fox - Dis deal is complete. Adding KHC would only increase that. Oh well, I'll add to my Funds after adding KHC and see just what the Dis - Fox does to me.

Attached: 1516488962124.jpg (485x417, 65K)

for the sake of my bags, pummp it

Attached: 1543971490306.jpg (544x551, 36K)

Friendly reminder that the yield curve barely started to inverse so this is not a crash, we have about 15 months ahead of us.

If anyone is interested read the papers made by Estrella.

cheers

Attached: 9AA2FED3_438D_46BF_8A24_89F8B8C83D3A.jpg (982x789, 65K)

Thanks, fren. Bearfags who are still shorting or buying puts are gonna get JUST'd from here on out.

Attached: bobo_kicked.png (1080x802, 531K)

That is the sign of death user
You just fucking confirmed a -25% drop
Never post here again

today I hurt myself on lulu

bought ATVI at 52 thinking it was close to the bottom now its 47 and projected to drop more hurts man hurts

Attached: JUST.jpg (1879x971, 277K)

I’m down 2/3 since September. Don’t think too much about it. Still not giving you my bags you greedy kikes

ATVI is fucked like the girl trying for the dildo insertion world record, they have no games, I mean every developer has a GAME per year, these guys make a single mobile game after a Cawadooty game. People want experiences now and bigger sounds and graphics, "pleasing looking with a skinner box" is just not doing it.

youtube.com/watch?v=dZPQdZLyHYE

Attached: SourPls.gif (305x250, 3.82M)

i bought in the dip when they had the whole mobile diablo preview but thats always a cash cow so i jump in with 4k thinking hey easy money not knowing i was about to JUSTD my self now im considering buying more but with this market im too much of a pussy to do it

Attached: 1537231827447.png (680x683, 372K)

Good man, live and learn.

Attached: Legate Lanius.png (900x506, 886K)