How can we enter the asteroid mining industry?

This is Ryugu, Ryugu is an asteroid that orbits the sun, and it's orbit crosses between that of Earth and Mars. Earlier this year the Japs sent an orbiter to Ryugu and dropped a couple of scientific probes on it's surface. So it's perfectly feasible to get to this rock.

This rock is also worth an estimated $82,000,000,000.

Whoever can send a few giant rockets to Ryugu, throw a lasso around it, and drag it back into Near Earth Orbit for mining will be RICH. And once you do that once, you can do it again. There's another, slightly larger asteroid that orbits the Sun near to our own orbit, which is worth about $5.5 TRILLION.

So let's start brainstorming. How the fuck do you enter this industry starting NOW, without already having a net worth in the Billions?

Attached: Ryugu.jpg (320x309, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JnjO8q7FiZY
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Asteroids-KnownNearEarthObjects-Animation-UpTo20180101.gif
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

just need a real tall ladder and a trustworthy friend to hold it

Keep thinking like this. Men in black are real, keep it up

yeah niggers are real

>falling for the space meme

japs cant even cool there nuclear plants alone LMAO

>amerifat tap water will literally kill you

It'll only turn you into a chick

>a few giant rockets
That's really not how it works, you still need approx. 4 km/s delta-v to move it to NEO. That means with current propulsion technology the rocket fuel to bring it back would have a mass larger than the rock it's trying to bring back. And getting those rockets UP there would require earth launch rockets at least 10 times as big. I'll let you do the math.

They only need to hold it once you get into the upper atmosphere, then you can perpetually fall you brainlet

is it on CMC yet?

that's not what he meant you idiot.

I really hope that if there is one thing all the fucked up governments in the world could agree on, it is the purposeful redirection of FUCKING ASTEROIDS TOWARDS THE EARTH should be banned. Never happen I guess.

why do mining companies want to mine them from orbit? I would find smaller asteroids that were metal rich, then slow them down and drop them into the middle of a desert or shallow ocean.

>slow them down
you vastly underestimate the effort necessary to do that

they would have to do the same for anything they get from mining a larger asteroid in orbit anyways though.

First develop a Smart Contracts based drone network. This video outlines a general proof of concept: youtube.com/watch?v=JnjO8q7FiZY
As a global drone network grows and becomes the standard means for transportation/courier jobs their capabilities and usage will grow through development also. Eventually it's going to be normal to have drones that travel to space to run maintenance on satelites ect. From there you'll eventually see Drones running longer tasks such as space exploration and flying out to asteroids; if you've played the Space Sim Game Elite Dangerous things like that.

Attached: elite_dangerous_asteroidenfeld.jpg (1920x1080, 1.18M)

Fix a mass driver into the asteroid and launch mined material to earth.

Even worse, because becoming a hot chick is not guaranteed

Why not send a buttload of drones to chisel away at the rock?
Literally get 1000 zoomer children to minecraft space rocks for us and pay them in YouTube likes.

Also there are companies that started popping up around 2012 that got huge gibs from the US gibberment just for claiming to be 'asteroid mining companies'. Planetary Resources is a company that turned me down for a job in 2013 and drove me to ragequit looking for meaningful work. The company literally does NOTHING and still receives assloads of investment money

>How do we average citizens with no scientific background or tens of billions of R&D money at our disposal begin to mine asteroids for minerals worth trillions of dollars?

Are you fucking retarded?

so we can't mine them ourselves but maybe there are other ways to get the money. for example a youtube channel reviewing the different asteroids with EOY price predictions etc..

They're mostly nickel, iron, and water. We've got plenty of those already.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Asteroids-KnownNearEarthObjects-Animation-UpTo20180101.gif

>They were literally GE plants
No wonder that company is failing.

Attached: 1411416402325.jpg (292x257, 34K)

>the only way to get a piece of a brand new industry is to be the company that does all initial r&d

holy shit you're retarded, no wonder you're poor

Wouldn't this flood the market, making it close to worthless?

but there's no gravity or weight in space. Wouldn't we be able to just land on it softly and push it back go earth?

Lmao retard

Objects still have mass in space, so yes you would still need a lot of energy to move the astroid

Go back to high school physics

SHARES.....
want..... buy...

No elon, youre not getting my money

Send it back in little pieces, a swarm of miners, a launch every week perhaps.

It will take energy to break it up. Which requires sending a larger machine to do that. Plus it's probably easier to manipulate the course of one object, 300 small objects not so much.

Invest in inverted rocket engines.
Aerospikes

>This rock is also worth an estimated $82,000,000,000.
LOL at anyone who thinks it's possible to extract and bring to market those resources for anything less than that amount in the next century. The Jap probe mission cost $150 million and it's literally just chucking a few roomba-sized tin cans at the thing.
Also gg when the Elon Musk of asteroid mining misplaces a decimal point in the trajectory calculation and obliterates half the lithosphere.

Once we get the money what do we do with it

Use it to mine more asteroids.

so which token is pegged to asteroid minerals? I would like 100k please

Find a team of the best god damn miners on gods green earth, train them how to be astronauts and then send them to the asteroid to bring back all those precious metals.

Send a couple of small probe to the Astroid each containing a copper bucket and a microwave. You also need a remote control system, to turn on and off the microwaves.

You can safely propel the astroid down to earth, to the exact location you want.

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3Ni81Nzkvb3JpZ2luYWwvZW1kcml2ZS1zcGFjZS1lbmdpbmUuanBn (660x423, 54K)

We can just do an ico. Call it asteroid coin.

What happens when all those asteroids eventually slam into the moon?

It's only "worth" that much due to the rarity of minerals it holds. If there were an abundance of those minerals, it wouldn't be worth as much.

Would only work on an asteroid with oil reserves, so it can power itself to NEO.
Either that or a solar powered thruster

Not there yet senpai

You underestimate the utility of some of these minerals.
Whilst the scarcity of diamonds, for example, is entirely manufactured, the scarcity of rare earths is not - and they are essential in applications pertaining to industrial civilization and the information age.
If we secure enough resources to perpetuate life as it is now, there is also the opportunity to manufacture their scarcity relative to offworld projects. It's entirely likely that minerals we could mine from elsewhere in our solar system would be pivotal in setting up offworld colonies and going interstellar, which humanity NEEDS to do if we are to ensure our long term survival.

Why don't we just train astronauts how to be miners, Michael?

you perpetually fall if you're launched vertically but then turn horizontaly, if you're just launched vertically you'll fall back down on your brainlet heat.