/smg/ - Stock Market General

ketamine has many medical uses edition

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4258981/

Thread theme song: youtube.com/watch?v=oNPCiBY5IZ8

>I'm new to the stock market, what stocks should I buy?
Before you buy anything, make a brokerage account and read investopedia articles and/or the books in the OP list. If you don't have a broker, you can't buy stocks, and if you blindly buy things without understanding how the stock market works or doing any research on the individual stocks you're buying, you will lose money and it will be entirely your fault.

List of popular brokers:
pastebin.com/mrSchZPg

List of basic stock market terminology for newfags:
pastebin.com/VtnpN5iJ

Real-time market news:
thefly.com/index.php

Educational sites:
investopedia.com/
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain

Free in depth technical analysis charts:
tradingview.com

Premarket Data:
pastebin.com/y9PRQLR3

Earnings Report Calendars:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html
earningswhispers.com/calendar

Biopharma Catalyst Calendar:
biopharmcatalyst.com/

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

S&P 500 VIX Futures (For SVXY/UVXY, higher is better for UVXY, lower is better for SVXY)
investing.com/indices/us-spx-vix-futures

Basic rundown on options:
pastebin.com/vWhvyuCd

Suggested books:
pastebin.com/jgA5zTuC

Previous thread:

Attached: ketamine.jpg (722x406, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-11/thni-itf112218.php
bbc.com/news/business-14582838
forbes.com/sites/scottminerd/2016/02/23/the-great-recession-scare-of-2016
cnbc.com/2016/01/18/global-recession-fears-mount-amid-market-turbulence.html
cnbc.com/2015/03/11/us-could-go-into-recession-in-2015-expert.html
pharmatimes.com/magazine/2018/november_2018/company_focus_vistagen#.W84iOIsVBuU.twitter
ir.vistagen.com/press-releases/detail/79
streetinsider.com/Corporate News/VistaGen Therapeutics (VTGN) Granted FDA Fast Track Designation for Development of AV-101 as a Non-Opioid Treatment for Neuropathic Pain/14669763.html
tipranks.com/stocks/vtgn/price-target
vistagen.com/clinical-trials/nimh
twitter.com/AnonBabble

gee it sure would be nice if there was a drug that acted on the same neurological pathway in the same way as ketamine, but could be administered orally and had fewer side effects and long term safety concerns than ketamine

gimme that medicinal special k

Attached: 1543520017902.png (1920x1200, 2.44M)

My God how did your health get so bad

And welcome back
Don't all medical opiates denature or something into the same compound in your body?

Attached: hxmiirwmu5hz.jpg (856x1000, 560K)

ketamine isn't an opioid, it's an NDMA antagonist

Drugs are for weak people. The mind can overcome all mental ailments. Mental illnesses are crutches for weak people. They don't even exist.

NMDA antagonist*

>tfw keep getting those two letters mixed up

nah fuck you. drugs make life half ass tolerable.

user do you like money? Riding this shit into the ground might get you there

Attached: B4861200-0B52-4B06-BD35-67D901D36226.png (750x1334, 207K)

opioids work by binding to endorphin receptors, NMDA is a completely different neurological pathway

Your life is fine. Your problem is your perception of life. As I said, drugs are crutches for weak people.

Ah thanks for clearing that up. I'm not that great with drug info.

Attached: 1431127121566.jpg (956x720, 602K)

the golden bullrun is coming!

Attached: px.jpg (540x790, 45K)

golden bullrun is happening

prices are just mistaken

Kurzy is correct

>My God how did your health get so bad
lupus and leukemia, according to rkg

Attached: rkg diagnosis.png (738x264, 33K)

It's time for a hyper-crash, say multifractal analyses of the main stock market index

The near future of the global economy looks extremely bleak. This pessimistic forecast comes from advanced statistical analysis of the S&P 500 stock market index, recently published by scientists from the Institute of Nuclear Physics

eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-11/thni-itf112218.php

Reminder to SELL EVERYTHING tomorrow.

Attached: 186796_web.jpg (1440x1071, 106K)

>tfw used to make extra spending money by donating plasma
>tfw o- blood type

you're welcome

Attached: plasma.png (753x172, 36K)

wow. This thread has become complete fucking shit lately.

Down 7k for the year.

Fuck This is mostly from just stock, apple, amzn, nvdia

You're fucking weak.

Attached: 1476245186695.jpg (640x640, 53K)

>t-this will be the real crash for sure

>12071211
shut the fuck up and actually contribute instead of just bitching all the time

Attached: overblown fears.png (1170x341, 49K)

big 5 bringing the quality

Attached: 1514168712058.jpg (681x665, 49K)

Paycheck friday, investing $800, tell me what to put it in.

Attached: 1532004688820.gif (180x180, 81K)

Rate my strategy for tomorrow:

Ride SQQQ down as Trump-related China bullshit causes a panicked sell-off for 1-2 days.

Then around Wednesday load up on TQQQ and get an easy 5-10% rebound, leveraged x3.

Attached: 1490140024837.jpg (990x660, 141K)

if you want to look at it that way.. atleast consider you will be ok when it comes to taxes

>t-this is it this time, for sure

bbc.com/news/business-14582838
forbes.com/sites/scottminerd/2016/02/23/the-great-recession-scare-of-2016
cnbc.com/2016/01/18/global-recession-fears-mount-amid-market-turbulence.html
cnbc.com/2015/03/11/us-could-go-into-recession-in-2015-expert.html

Attached: biz investment strategy.jpg (1914x745, 248K)

campbells soup

Attached: kon.jpg (225x300, 32K)

>were doing just fine! - Lehman Brothers September 14, 2008
I trust uninvloved and unbiased scientists more than I trust a bunch of greedy bankers.

Attached: JPM.jpg (600x450, 35K)

Brexit deal vote is on tuesday. Parliament is going to vote down Theresa's deal. Get ready to short the pound.

gym membership..get fit and sell your body and dick to needy women

My sister gets me free flights because she is an airline stewardist and I was thinking of prostituting myself to despite hons around the country.

But that's way down the line.

add to your other holdings
if that $800 is the first $800 you've ever invested, then decide what kind of company you want to invest in first

>never invested before
>telling him to put it all into one company
>not telling him to go with index funds
He'll get a better value through indexes.

See

Just investing is the best thing. The advice to save 10k or whatever is really bad. Investing creates motivation to create more capital for more investing.

True, diversifying your portfolio is important
I should have said "what kind of companies" you want to invest in
If you just want to put that money away and not think about it, then index funds are the best option
If you're going to be picking individual stocks, then it's helpful to find a specific sector of the market that you understand instead of just buying shares of companies you don't really know anything about

If you mean to save 10k before you get into investing, I agree that it is a bad idea and more based on online dickwaving than anything else
In fact, if you're just getting into investing, putting so much money at risk when you're inexperienced and just figuring things out is a very bad idea
It's better to start with a relatively small amount of money while you're still orienting yourself and learning how things work

I do think that having enough money saved to handle any unexpected events in your personal life and to pay for a few months of living expenses, assuming the worst happens and you need that money to survive, is important

scientists from the Institute of nuclear fusion is saying that Watching anime makes you a better trader

Fair enough, that makes things more clear.

>Moving averages go from support to resistance levels
>your precious futures right now

Attached: demoralized.jpg (288x325, 16K)

That's common knowledge, user
There's a reason Goldman Sachs quizzes all of their prospective employees on anime trivia as a part of the interview process

Attached: 1542601242052.gif (370x689, 1.89M)

>They're setting up shorts on futures. >Pump it

Attached: 1544274528320.jpg (301x512, 12K)

what if the only way to succeed is to make others fail?

Attached: use information.gif (500x281, 245K)

That's essentially what many of us do on a daily basis, especially those of us who short the market or engage in usury through bond holding.

;)

Attached: the key to ambitions.jpg (789x685, 104K)

We're basically the Jews at this point.

Attached: 7796a707e52772945d582c4660469e305a84b78279ee76cbc6f495297720f94e.jpg (600x693, 45K)

>tfw only own shares of biotech companies, which develop treatments for diseases that have the potential to greatly improve the quality of or even save people's lives, and utility companies, that provide essential services people need to survive in the modern world (water, electricity, gas)

Attached: 1544071136584.png (800x473, 129K)

I'm a new investor so I just buy index funds but with the turns the market is taking I'm thinking about getting more bonds and expanding into short ETF's.

Health care and utilities are noncyclicals, which historically perform better during recessions, so I'm planning on just holding if things go bad
When I have some more money, I'm considering buying into consumer staples (KO, MKC) in addition to health care and utilities, and also possibly day trading small amounts of TVIX and SVXY every once in a while when I have the time and feel like taking a risk

Attached: 1543532775103.jpg (938x1500, 226K)

better than the rest of the market*

the name "noncyclical" comes from the fact that they provide goods and services that are needed regardless of how the economy is doing, so they perform roughly the same no matter cycle the economy is in

>muh TA

Attached: i love research and analysis like this.png (910x1218, 1.19M)

Vtsax - 90% of your portfolio
Meme stocks (LCI and GALT) - 10% of your portfolio

Attached: 1277623321866.jpg (264x282, 10K)

>tfw you wanted to be an ethical investor but reality had other plans

Attached: 0083painkiller.gif (300x224, 2.45M)

>Health care and utilities are noncyclicals, which historically perform better during recessions, so I'm planning on just holding if things go bad
LCI is in health care...

maybe even some VTGN on that meme portion.. their o/s is matched with their float Pendulum did some DD on it.. might not be a bad pick..

Yeah, I'm definitely planning on picking up some utility ETFs when the funds allow. Healthcare seems good too with the aging boomer population. I suppose when all of the boomers die off in 25-35 years there might be a little dip in health care, although by then you'll have a lot of aging millennials so I suppose there's a good chance that won't be a problem.

I love how $500 worth of neets who """trade""" based on FOMO and twitter rumors are acting all giddy and are in such deep denial over losing their Arby's grease allowance.

Attached: 432.jpg (1440x1033, 247K)

>market cap 50 mil
>shares worth 3% what they were in 2010

Staying far away from this one.

it sure is
i think generic drugs are a good area to invest in, thinking in the long term, but I don't know anything about LCI in particular

people get sick and need to be treated regardless of what the economy is doing
also, there are plenty of young people who need healthcare as well (ex: RKG, people with mental illnesses, etc)
when boomers die, new old people will replace them (perhaps not as many, but there will still be plenty)

I've done DD on GALT as well, but I haven't typed out a longpost about it yet
I'll have to make one later this week when I'm done with finals

Millenials are horrifically unhealthy and will suffer from all sorts of problems. Some boomers will outlive quite a bit of them.

this and kek'd

>people get sick and need to be treated regardless of what the economy is doing
also, there are plenty of young people who need healthcare as well (ex: RKG, people with mental illnesses, etc)
when boomers die, new old people will replace them (perhaps not as many, but there will still be plenty)
Yeah that's definitely a good point and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. Just playing devils advocate. On a side not I definitely think real estate is a bubble though. Think about it. You have tons of aging boomers who have reverse mortgages on their homes. When those people die, who are the banks going to sell all of those homes to? Millennials? I don't think so. We're due for another real estate crash within the next 10-15 years.

My post didn't format/greentext properly but I think you get my point.

I dunno, bobos. After the brief sell pressure initially on gap down open, both asian markets and US futures are settling in on a tight range for the day. If Monday was going to be deep red I would expect a lot more selling than this.

Attached: 1544152849483.jpg (2000x923, 209K)

small-cap biotech stocks are different than the rest of the market
all of them operate at a loss initially, because they have to go through the process of developing a drug and getting it approved by the FDA through numerous clinical trials that cost a lot of money
with a small-cap biotech company, you shouldn't be asking "how profitable is this company", you should be asking "does this company have enough money to fund clinical trials" and "does the company have good science supporting the drugs they're making"
what determines if a company makes it through the extremely costly and time-consuming process of developing a drug and getting it approved is the science supporting the drugs they're making (most importantly, their performances in clinical trials)

people claim biotech companies are all memes and there's no way to tell which ones will succeed because they don't understand the differences in how they're financed compared to most companies and that the science is the single most important thing when you're dealing with a biotech stock
the reason VTGN is "worth 3% of what they were in 2020" is because they issued more shares to raise money for clinical trials, making each individual share worth less money (this is called dilution)

Attached: vtgn logo.png (600x389, 27K)

wish I had some of this shit but fuck it
I've lost a lot it has made me a white nigger
I've researched and refined what I want
we will see if this is worth anything

I do think that a real estate crash is inevitable before millennials will start to buy houses
Once prices are nice and low, though, milennials buying in will be the catalyst that drives the real estate market back up, imo

Bull tomorrow

>I do think that a real estate crash is inevitable before millennials will start to buy houses

Agreed on that. Something has got to give. Wages stagnant, full-time stable work hard to find, houses still stupid costly.

Not even going to argue with such a retard like yourself ... just wow..

Just started getting into investing a couple of weeks ago. Only started with $100, because wagecuck, and figured I would be pissing away my initial investment because of lack of knowledge. How fucked am I?

Attached: Screenshot_20181210-000709_Robinhood.jpg (1080x2220, 245K)

This isn't investing. That's categorized as blind speculating. You literally went out and bought every meme on this board, and probably WSB too. And right before a fabled recession.

Attached: Karozzo.png (1840x988, 2M)

what are you going to flip that ford share for 20 cents or something?

$100 isn't bad. Look into dollar cost averaging until you get a hang of things. Also if you're still just getting a hang on how stock prices move I'd suggest staying away from options until you get the hang of how different stocks behave.

Also 12% is a good return. Do that YoY and always add to it you'll be set!

I probably sound like an asshole. Read The Intelligent Investor, revised edition, by Benjamin Graham. Then look stuff up on Investopedia. Then put your money in firms and index funds that have real value. Put aside some meme money for memes like those.

Can I get a run down on CSWC, Capital Southwest Corp Com. I've been watching it for some time and it has been going up. Also, I feel like the dividend yield is pretty high, should I be worried? Basically, I don't know what the fuck I am doing.

>buying one share of a dividend stock (F)
the point of owning stocks like that is to get decent growth and safety while collecting extra money from dividends
the fewer shares you have, the less you make from dividends

it's a good idea to start small, though, no matter what people may say
you're just starting to figure things out, there's no reason to put a large amount of money at risk while you still don't understand what you're doing

everyone starts out somewhere, he isn't doing bad so far

Attached: 1541128767037.png (717x717, 832K)

consider all the money you put into this thing pissed away. just buy more faggot. never sell.

>12069968 #
You are on to something. Thepatternsite.com says the markets trend up for the last seven days of the month to about the fifth of the next, on average. Since that was widely published and discovered in the 80s I think, the market has been more prone to not obey that rule. The thinking is that dividends pay out, hedge funds and portfolio managers rebalance, and relevant numbers are already digested for that month fomc unemployment etc. So you're not wrong it just won't always be like this because if everyone only held for those days and sold it would be a race to the bottom. If you only held for those days you would miss out on massive gains.

I repplied to the goy with heavy bags last thread and didn't know this was baked until I scrolled kek

I made no comment on profitability..

and I'm aware of what dilution is, also reverse splits - sure, the shares were never actually trading at $60. Regardless, someone who invested $60 years ago would now have less than $2.
Many smallcap biotechs are dilution traps, and some of them are straight up scams. They'll all likely be wiped out entirely in the coming recession as liquidity disappears.

If this were a legitimate clinical-stage biotech, they would've had more solid funding from the get-go and could have diluted at favorable times to avoid destroying previous shareholders.
If their results showed much promise, they'd likely have held a larger market cap to reflect the potential.

You may think you've stumbled on some hidden gem, left forgotten on the side of the road. Realistically, its probably just dogshit. I wouldn't touch it.

In that case, good luck to you. I'd still recommend you be careful though.
I know your investing strategy is picking trash tier companies and averaging down until eventually you get a small win. It won't work with speculative biotechs because they have no value floor. Shorts will steal your lunch once the dilution machine starts turning again. It'll be like that one time you thought you saw a bounce opportunity in HMNY.

Faggot

Maybe he's looking to add to it and grow that position...

Lol. No. Did you even read that book?? Doesn't sound like you got much out of it

Prices have to be

So, what are the reasonable predictions for Monday? Continued bear?

You have no idea what you are talking about. GL newb

I'm looking for a high volume etf that follows the broad market has a beta of around 1-2 and has a low share price. Divs are a plus. I have some good contenders. I'm looking to dollar cost average with some spare change. Any of you plebs have suggestions?

Golden bullrun

no, just pre-2016 levels would be sufficient.

Thank you. 12% of $100 really isn't much to be proud of, but it's better than taking an overall loss I guess.

I've seen a few people saying they've read/are reading Graham, I assume this is what they mean? I'll give it a look.

I don't plan on making large amounts of money, just wanting to live a bit better when I retire. Would pumping money into safe dividend yielding stocks be the way to go? I'm currently putting 10% of each check into my 401k, 5% tax deferred, 5% taxed. I'm 23, so I still have a long way to go before retirement.

I know he tells you to do bonds and shit but this thread is only good for stock market info.

>Realistically, its probably just dogshit

They've been fast tracked twice in the last year alone
VTGN has multiple drugs in its pipeline, but its most notable drug is AV-101, which is currently in Phase 2 development with multiple ongoing studies for multiple diseases, including one that is being funded entirely by the NIMH
AV-101 acts on the same neurological pathway in the same way as ketamine (they're both NMDA antagonists), and there's significant scientific literature, as well as increasing use in clinical settings, supporting the efficacy of ketamine in treating both of those things
The advantages AV-101 has over ketamine is that it's orally bioavailable (you can take it as pills instead of having to inject it), which makes it a lot more likely for doctors to prescribe it, and it has fewer long-term side effects and safety concerns than ketamine
Its performance in clinical trials and the fact that it's been fast tracked by the FDA twice indicate that it's a promising drug that can potentially solve the problems of a drug that's been proven to be very effective but has several disadvantages hindering its adoption as a more widespread means of treatment

pharmatimes.com/magazine/2018/november_2018/company_focus_vistagen#.W84iOIsVBuU.twitter
ir.vistagen.com/press-releases/detail/79
streetinsider.com/Corporate News/VistaGen Therapeutics (VTGN) Granted FDA Fast Track Designation for Development of AV-101 as a Non-Opioid Treatment for Neuropathic Pain/14669763.html
tipranks.com/stocks/vtgn/price-target

Continued bear till Feb
Possible death spiral (?)

No

Attached: housing-starts-historical-chart-2018-12-10-macrotrends.png (888x560, 69K)

vistagen.com/clinical-trials/nimh

I kinda think the indices will do the same thing futures did/are doing. Some selling early to minimal effect, settle out mild red to flatish. The uncertainty is there but i think insufficient fear to break any key supports.

Attached: 1543849772299.jpg (500x500, 38K)

stuff as much money into the market as you possibly can. don't be financially irresponsible, keep savings, but just grind hard af when you are that young and build up your money ball. shoot for 100k in your brokerage account by age 30.

Just bought 36 packs of these. Thoughts?

Attached: VGE-Divas-Fiesta-642x335.png (642x335, 468K)

>27 years old and JUST getting my shit together
>most people my age are already making 100k+, own a house, wife, new car, and are having kids

Attached: 1406019932052.png (451x533, 36K)

>most people older than 27 make 100k+

think about that idea for a second

Ecchi trading cards or something?

Not necessarily.

I could probably dig up the exact post where I told you (as big5guy) that trying a bounce play on HMNY was retarded. There's also the time I told you LCI was garbage, paying money for assets that ENDP would've otherwise had to write off as worthless. You thought I was silly for continuing to hold ENDP after a small runup. I ended up selling those ENDP shares at $17 for close to 200% longterm gains. I can see LCI is down over 50% since then, but I'm sure you quadrupled down at 3.50 to stay in the green even now, right?

Well, at least you're not a newb.

Now there's some useful info. Still, its a long road from phase 2 until profit. What makes you think they won't need to dilute again?

>conagra shutting down 2 facilities
The restructuring of Pinnacle has begun. Bullish bias

Attached: xos.webm (1000x600, 440K)