Whats it like being an auditor? is it really as bad as they say it is? is 27-28 too late to be an auditor?

whats it like being an auditor? is it really as bad as they say it is? is 27-28 too late to be an auditor?

Attached: big-4-accountancy.jpg (520x280, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AvpTNWeSuFI
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's good to do a few years at a B4 firm and then get the fuck out. You will be working long hours and lose sleep. 27-28 is not too late.

Don't do it. I know a few people that sold their souls to join the big four.

Long hours, office politics, backstabbing, depression, drugs, racism is a just few things ive heard.

i heard that they hire juniors right out of school and that theres an age "cap" since if youre too old they think youre not cut out to make partner. is it the difficulty of the work itself or the quantity that makes it suffering?

ah, bruv, it's totally chill bruv, trust!
you work 6 days a week, 12 hour days between november and march (or whenever the financial year ends in your respective shithole)
but bruv, shit's so cash, you make serious money when you become a team lead 5 years in.
and the ocean pearls really dig a glorified accountant mate

Just imagine having to explain the reason you need financial records to an incompetent client that is angry 24/7. That’s what it’s like. Basically you’re the guy everyone hates because you find clerical mistakes that can cause millions in exceptions/fines/penalties.

Work is fine, but it's the consistency that's the most annoying thing. Depending on your reviewer you are preparing workpapers differently almost all the time. I'm not big 4, but I'm top 20. Most of these companies are hire fresh out of school people and grind you because you're 23-25 and have zero responsibilities. When you calculate your salary vs. the standard 2048 work year, you are actually making less money. If you want job security (for now before the robots take over. Not even joking. Look it up) than it's good for having solid income. Just know you will hate yourself having to travel so freaking much.

what about tax, is it as bad? damn im scared now, maybe i should just go into private accounting

youtu.be/AvpTNWeSuFI

Tax is 20x worse. Longer hours and tax season is the occupational equivalent of AIDS

Has to be the right private accounting place because it can get really boring. Tax is really bad for just January-April. Audit is busy as fuck all year round. Tax season, 401k season, soft deadlines in December. My advice is live close to where you're going to work and it won't be as bad. Having a 10 minute commute vs 1 hour is a huge difference.

>Long hours
not necessarily a bad thing

>office politics
worst thing on this list

>backstabbing
shit

>depression
eh everyones depressed no matter what

>drugs
are fun and cool

>racism
who gives a fuck desu

B4 business model is based on the idea that most people will move to industry after a few years which can attract or strengthen relationships with clients. Barely anyone makes partner. Some people get all the way to senior manager level and become stuck due to office politics. The partner track is unrealistic for most people and most people don't have the work ethic and personality to forego their personal life and family for the position. Partner can make anywhere from 300k-1M+ depending on how good they are at attracting and maintaining clients. Most are divorced and most are alchys.

It's more of the same. It's not the worst thing in the world to work for a small firm and potentially get placed in an environment that. while soul sucking, can at least be bearable because of office culture and a slightly (and I mean slightly) better work-life balance. Your mileage may vary though. Some small firms have worse work-life balance and worse culture.

This person gets it

You will get replaced by blockchains

>he thinks memechains will replace anything

Yikes!

explain

Depends where you do it. B4 is fucking terrible in the US, but in the UK (outside of London) it s a really good job. January to March is busy season and you will do 50 - 60 hours a week and aren't allowed to take holiday, but outside that it is pretty comfy. Good career progression, good pay, and job security. And obviously there are loads of exit opportunities if you want to go into industry.

will they discriminate based on grades? i was a pretty average student in uni

ungrateful boss+ underpaid

In the UK, all of them but EY want a 2:1 in any discipline. EY don't care what you get, so long as you can pass their tests. You shouldn't be getting anything less than a 2:1 anyway, it isn't exactly hard.

Better start in asset management.

>27
>already earning 120k a year (will increase up to 180k in the next years)
>job is dope as fuck if you are interested in the markets

Attached: 2995DBC6-5161-4D39-9FF5-D68D20FCCE21.jpg (225x224, 16K)

i dont have connections and my grades werent that high tho. the competition for finance jobs is fierce here

UK?

Since wolf of wallstreet every cunt wants to get into finance. there is not enough roles to fill them in london.

Economic crisis on our hands,all these types are gonna get fucked when all the firms stop hiring and kick out the lower level employees.

Considered finance for a long time. I actually love the markets with a passion, but decided that a job as an associate or analyst or would make me hate life.

Depends what you got.

I found it really tough getting through because I have shit GCSEs and no A-Levels. Didnt meet the minimum requirements - needed minimum B grade maths GCSE I think for one or two of them but I have a C and no UCAS points. I was doing an MSc in finance and risk at the time in a top tier uni, had interned at an investment bank, but apparently that didnt make up for lack of qualifications. Did get through for PwC though.

I tried really hard to get a job in Big 4. And looking back, I have no idea why. I dont think I was really that interested in the work, I just knew they take on a lot of people and although its competitive, its not that difficult if youre well rounded.

Wasnt to be though. Ended up in the energy industry which is far more chill than 3 years in audit.

Worked at B4 (PWC) in Tax. Can confirm. B4 pay well but I'm never going back.

>whats it like being an auditor?
Everyone who I have ever met that works for the big 4 fucking hates it. Sure the pay is dope but the hours eventually take a toll on you on your brain and body. The weirdest thing I heard was the near cult like behaviour at PWC. Apparently when they go out drinking after work, the staff would get peer-pressured into going back to the office to continue drinking when the bars had shut in the early hours of the morning. To make things more pathetic, there would be sad fucks who are swamped would have had their own party in the office instead of leaving. Fucking mental if you ask me.

Bros, I'm 25 and live close to one of the best university in Limerick which I can attend for almost nothing.

I want a job where I can make at least 50-60k a year and not want to kill myself (worked in a call center for 3 years and saved 40k lost 10k on crypto)

The problem is, I'm semi retarded, I'm so shit at maths that I still count on my fingers.

I hate not having a job anymore (I quit because I couldnt take it anymore)

Currently I am getting up at 2pm do an hour of lifting and sit infront of my pc until I go to bed, I havent left my house in 2 weeks and I am too afraid to go outside. I am starting to want to an hero.

What field should I go into? what should I study? how do I get myself a good job.

Attached: 1503701609665.png (936x1000, 225K)

Universitys in Ireland* shit lol

Attached: 1503608157041.jpg (250x242, 7K)

why not become a psychologist? you can open your own clinic and talk to old lonely ladies and get paid for it. you dont necessarily have to work in the corporate world.

For a start, you probably arent just going to walk in to a job that pays 50-60k. For most graduates, you would probably be looking at at least 3-5 years of work to get to that. Exception being if you are a high flyer in banking or fin tech or something. But for your average graduate its still a lot of work to get there.

The way you progress is by being better than those around you. So if youre semi retarded, progression isnt going to be easy. If you are constantly competing against people who are more intelligent than you, you wont get far.

If youre really wanting to go to uni, then do it. But getting through uni is the easy part. It gets much more difficult just trying to find a job. There are loads of graduates out there who have are unemployed or working dead end jobs.

3+ years of customer service have made me hate people and listening to their BS but this is a good Idea, there is actually a psychology course that they do, usualy in Ireland it works on a points based system at the end of highschool you get say 100 points for an A grade in english or w/e and use those points to enter a course.

However in this country we have smth called mature student where the points are waived if you are over 23.

This is a good idea. thank you user

Attached: 1506060168895m.jpg (1024x898, 133K)

>asset management.
this recession will buttfuck you and all the other paper pushers "managing" inflationary assets

Do you like like working 80+ hours a week while jetlagged for 50k a year? Then auditing is right for you!

t. private accounting

Thats also true, I was thinking of doing some kind of CAD machineing course perhaps, something like a trade but higher level.

My family is pretty rich and when my parents die I will have a very large inheritance coming my way, but feeling like a useless sack of shit with no porpose is whats getting to me, I also prefer to make my own way

Attached: 1506345550289.jpg (480x454, 76K)

To give you some idea of what it takes to be a psychologist, heres the route my friend took (and is fairly typical)

>3 year undergrad degree in psychology
>1 year masters in neuro-psychology
>2 years working for NHS performing evaluations on lunatics
>1 year working several hours away from home, again NHS, to get different experience
>3 years worth of applications for DClinPsy
>Being absolutely crushed by the workload once on a doctorate program

If you have the money for a deposit, consider going in to property. Do some courses so that you can handle the basic renovation stuff - plastering, plumbing, decorating, carpet fitting etc. Buy a house, renovate it, sell it on. It feels rewarding, work to your own time schedule, be your own boss.

why the fuck does anyone go into audit to begin with then? fuck. its very much in demand where i live and im tired of being a loser but now im having second thoughts

doctorate program? are you sure you need a phd? i know deadbeats who have their own clinics and are making decent money simply bulshitting people. i think youre talking about people on the higher plane of the profession, like the difference between an entry level accountant and a cpa

Join the bad side and bust those neets with undeclared crypto gains

Attached: 1528326019483.jpg (213x250, 8K)

Well here's the breakdown:
>audit
Also, if you like traveling though it could be for you. They work long as fuck days but once you actually get off your 14 hour day you get to go outside and explore a new city. Auditors also are awesome drinking buddies because they like to get fucked up and spend shitloads of money to cope with how absolutely miserable their job is. Free meal tickets/hotels/travel, but it starts to really kill you around 30 or if you want to settle down.
>tax
Work 30-40 hours a week most of the year, then for 3 months (the nice months of the year) be pulling 80-100 hour weeks because tax season. Slave your ass away for decent money and try to make partner after 20 years.
>private
40-60 hour work weeks with higher pay than public in most cases. Just from where I work the start pay is 60k with a 4 year, 70k with a bachelors. Comfy
>governmental
Work under 40 hours a week for a pay cut down to 50k-60k but become literally unfireable after a few years. They start with like 5 weeks off as well it's crazy (between vacation, sick days, personal days, holidays, etc.)

So looking at the most comparable position to audit (government) why the fuck would you not work half as much for slightly better pay? Also in audit you will be competing against all your coworkers awkwardly to suck the partners dick more and get promoted. It's pretty faggy.

how does the stress level in private accounting compare to other professions in the business world?

Horrible stuff. I work with these people regularly. If they don't hate it, they're seeking an out in the short term. That said, Biz autists would unironically do well in the role.

Link is partnered with half of these companies, were gonna make it boys.

I wouldn't know, I've only been in private accounting and heard others bitch/brag. Marketing seems to have the most fun, but you have to have a certain personality to do that. Any kind of management position is obviously more stressful. I would actually decline anything above a supervisor position. Middle managers work 70+ in both corporations I've been at. I refuse to go above 50 every again. 60 for month end MAYBE. I may be a wage slave but I'm a house nigga.

I know the guys in consolidations (mergers/acquisitions) are probably under the most stress. Likely followed up by the poor bastards dealing with contracts or compliance.