/smg/ - Slaughter Market General

SUB 249 TOMORROW EDITION

>I'm new to the stock market, what stocks should I buy?
Before you buy anything, make a brokerage account and read investopedia articles and/or the books in the OP list. If you don't have a broker, you can't buy stocks, and if you blindly buy things without understanding how the stock market works or doing any research on the individual stocks you're buying, you will lose money and it will be entirely your fault.

List of popular brokers:
pastebin.com/mrSchZPg

List of basic stock market terminology for newfags:
pastebin.com/VtnpN5iJ

Real-time market news:
thefly.com/index.php

Educational sites:
investopedia.com/
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain

Free in depth technical analysis charts:
tradingview.com

Premarket Data:
pastebin.com/y9PRQLR3

Earnings Report Calendars:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html
earningswhispers.com/calendar

Biopharma Catalyst Calendar:
biopharmcatalyst.com/

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

S&P 500 VIX Futures (For SVXY/UVXY, higher is better for UVXY, lower is better for SVXY)
investing.com/indices/us-spx-vix-futures

Basic rundown on options:
pastebin.com/vWhvyuCd

Suggested books:
pastebin.com/jgA5zTuC

previously on /smg/

Attached: SPYdying.png (1270x1774, 1.1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

investopedia.com/articles/00/082800.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ratsu you did you betray us

>the absolute state of LABU

I like biotech, and I think the sector is due for a bounce, but let this be a lesson to anyone who thinks holding 3x leveraged ETFs in the long term is a good idea

>he thought we were at the bottom
OH NO NO NO

Attached: weak_should_fear_the_strong.jpg (597x498, 34K)

I’m thinking of buying in to labu tomorrow.

I don’t know much, but a sector etf seems like a better choice, especially with acadia and viking being held. At least I didn’t hold for this downturn, cant imagine its going to be much worse.

>tame ass guro
post your real shit, rkg.

Hitler was right.

Whenever the biotech sector bounces, LABU could be a yuge source of profit

rkg posting tame guro is like me posting tame sfw gay pictures
we would post the real stuff, but we would get banned if we did

Attached: 1529291539682.jpg (1280x2000, 207K)

watch your tone Hana, you might just get trampled by the bull tomorrow

Attached: 46515.png (674x530, 430K)

I'm waiting for the SPX to hit 2000 to rebuy with the 50% cash I have, then the other half at 1600. Bleeeeeeeeeeeed.

Attached: 1535509229029.gif (1027x731, 111K)

all I wanted was money and a GF

Well, it doesn’t have to go back to its all time high to triple your investment thats why im looking at it.

the mods are relentless on this fucking site now

last time i saw rkg spamming i spammed to get b& in solidarity. these dudes pas out week long b&s like its candy

How much coke has Jim Cramer done in his career? The man can barely slobber out a full sentence.

>market down and great opportunity to pick up more VTSAX
>going through divorce
>ex wife prob fucked a dude who picks his own stocks
>now can't even passively invest
>first christmas alone in ten years
happy holidays anons

>tfw no more pimple to give us nostradomus pump predictions
Feels bad man

Honestly if the SPY crashes any further this month just take a Robinhood Gold loan of 2k and buy the bottom with calls

4chanananel is but a sadistic imposter that murdered its predecessor and wears its skin.

Attached: 1542490277959.gif (400x399, 100K)

>take a loan from the comission free traders who are in the business of selling/utilizing your information and are planning to offer savings accounts to their users at 3% interest next year

I never really understood how throughout history people could just volunteer themselves for indentured servitude, becoming a eunuch, and offering their wives up for prima noctae. But day by day, Jow Forums shows me a face of humanity that perfectly explains how people likely found themselves in such situations.

is the yield curve getting inverted?

>how people likely found themselves in such situations

by overestimating their luck/abilities and taking irresponsible risks

fuck niggers and fuck jannyniggers

Attached: 1540759236479.jpg (249x249, 16K)

We're on the road for a 3 long year slide aren't we?

Wouldn't count on it, I'm just piling 1% from treasuries, gold, commodities into the most undervalued stocks I can find all the way down.

Have gone from 30% Equities & 70% Treasuries, Cash, Commodities, Gold to 45% Equities 55% Treasuries, Cash, Commodities Gold.

The gains on the treasuries, gold have largely offset my equity losses :], although I've got JUSTed on commodities and I'm still down 4%. By comparison, the market is down 15%.

skinwalker

this

>We're on the road for a 3 long year slide aren't we?

Oh it's coming that's for sure. Is this the dip that truly breaks it though? I can't believe it. Every since February started this whole thing I've been arguing that there is insufficient catalyst, coming to a head right now today and tomorrow, that triggers a recession and major market plunge. Recessions don't happen because people are nervous about something happening some time soon-ish. They only happen when something bad is happening right now and no question about it.

naw
the recession aint even gonna hit for a bit

and well get some really fun bounces even if we ''are''. you think all those hedgefunds that are trapped rn are gonna go down w out a fight? no way, theyre gonna pump all kinds of shit randomly to sucker people back in and average out as much as they can

>Is this the dip that truly breaks it though?
its the dip that solidifies the bear, really. but i dont think this is the beginning of the slide just yet. were gonna flounder around for a bit prolly

I'd still keep my stop losses tight. Most of mine are set around 85% buy and will rebuy at 65-75%. Fed shouldn't be raising rates all of 2019, instead they are doing 2. This will be a continuous slow bleed, but I actually hope I'm wrong.

Probably not. We've been through such incredible volatility the past few months that people are acting like its the apocalypse. And its never the case that things go completely the way everyone can clearly see. Everyone trying to play Big Short man will lead to a short squeeze the likes of which have never seen before and prevent a full blown crash. If too many bears enter the picture too fast then we'll quickly form a nice floor to start building off of again.

I was just watching Powell and even after the ‘2 hikes instead of 3’ thing he specifically said that these hikes will be more contingent and sensitive on the data coming in. Basically nothing is set in stone but the markets shit themselves nonetheless because Powell didn’t give them full capitulation of zero hikes in 2019. Loose hands were shaken but we will see if a short term play with be in order to finish December

>Everyone trying to play Big Short man will lead to a short squeeze the likes of which have never seen before and prevent a full blown crash
fucking this tho

people keep scoffing that i say theres a bounce
meanwhile ive been kvetching all year about the end of the world and guess what: IM NOT SHORTING RN
there were some nice easy shorts on the way down, but anyone still shorting it is gonna get their paddys whacked at some point. cant believe it hasnt happened yet, but for sure we arent going straight down. like i said, theres hedgies trpped rn. theyre gonna push stuff around and make it happen so they dont lose their jobs. we can be sure of it. just gotta sit cash a be patient rn. its the holidays after all. things could change when everyones back

>tfw 6% in the hole now.

To buy more or keep in cash hmm

im buying a home, so cash in a month

Remember what happened in October frens. This isn't over yet. There will another exodus to bonds. Don't be an idiot.
And this we will be breaking into technical weakness. Last time the break happened into the uptrend. This time it's the support. Stay safe frens.

thx dad
longterm bonds are as good a suggestion as any rn
figure well be out of this in 30 years ANYWAYS, so ya really cant lose unless we go full argentina

forgot bic

Attached: argentina is white.jpg (600x332, 26K)

Nah, its over. The man-child fit has nothing left it can scare Powell with. And no real way to time Trump into ending the trade war early.

The recovery starts now. A child only throws a tantrum til it figures out it is in fact not getting anymore candy then what its been given.

Attached: 1535391756108.png (436x361, 172K)

imagine actually buying bonds because you're incapable of making a smart trade once a day.

if i am investing for 15 years in the future, do i just keep buying even as we keep going down? feels bad to buy SSO and SPY as it goes down but nice cheapies and who knows where the actual bottom will be....

man given how unpredictable the market is rn, id say its pretty damn hard to make one good trade in every day. and one good trade only helps if ya dont make one or more bad trades too.

i got outta longterm stuff a couple months ago desu
but for the fags stuck HODLing, buying bonds to ease up the bleedng is a fucking great idea. especially with the yield curve where it is rn. if that shit flips were gonna see the 30 year jump like it hasnt in a decade. you want a good trade? there it is
smug faggot

>I bought aapl on the little bounce it got after Powell softened on increases
>I unironically like Cramer
I'm never gonna fucking make it, am I?

Most of my shit is on the sidelines, and now it looks like it'll stay there for a while. Shit though, Phillip Morris is down 20% with a dividend yield of 5.4% and a P/E of 16.

dollar cost average into them. I'd put 10% in now and wait to see market direction. If you don't have a hunch about its direction, do 10% a week for 10 weeks imo. Load on red days.

futures are red. reeee

DRIP is unironically the coolest she ever, or even just reinvesting dividends manually. Compounding interest makes me wet

Attached: 1544927685018.jpg (1080x1349, 174K)

Cool, with my strategy my losses into a crash will be limited, but my portfolio should skyrocket on the way up. I will move back into treasuries, gold, commodities when my undervalued stocks approach intrinsic value. I'd actually not mind if we trade sideways or down at this point, as I can take advantage of the volatility as it presents itself.

I'm still working on figuring out position sizing, but I think I'm on the right track.

Good point. And you're right.

Just wonderful

Attached: s.jpg (450x508, 47K)

>trying to time the market
>fighting HFT
Yikes

I managed to scoop some Apple at 159.40 today. If it goes down near $100 it will be by far my biggest position, although they are going to have to shit the bed Q4 for that to happen imo, and people are already pessemistic.

RKG you can pick the movie this week, what should we watch on movie night?

According to this scientific analysis, the interest rates should continue to rise for a while.

Attached: 1509039569_fed_height.png (888x508, 205K)

>he called me reluctant
doesnt get any worse than this

Attached: mousr.png (482x438, 241K)

Nightcrawler

>exited all my positions
>bought all gold stonks
>sold JNUG at the top this morning
>finished the day one dollar up
>previous holdings paper trade had me 200 down

Phew

Attached: It1Py9LX_400x400.jpg (400x400, 21K)

to be fair i probably made a huge mistake buying
a 7/19 $40 MU call when the price stabilized at the bottom

Nicely done!

I'm thinking of setting a limit order for 150, another for 140, etc on the way down in case it really does plummet. I think Schwab can keep a limit order for like 30 days if it doesn't happen immediately.

Is this stupid? I feel like I've been on the sidelines too long. There's blood in the streets, is this a good way to buy land?

I hate how accurately height trends with certain factors. It's how I knew Obama would win and trump would win. Fucking genetics.

;) it's what you get for choosing a terrible movie last week

Hey Faggots,

My name is Jerome, and I hate every single one of you. All of you are poor, retarded, degenerates who spend every second of their day looking at stupid ass charts. You are everything bad in the the economy. Honestly, have any of you ever gotten any profits? I mean, I guess it's fun making fun of people because of their gambling addictions on weekly options and chinese scam stocks, but you all take to a whole new level. This is even worse than buying BGFV at $9.50.

Don't be a stranger. Just hit me with your best shorts. I'm pretty much perfect. I am Chair of the Federal Reserve of the United States, and hand picked by President Trump. What investments do you make, other than "buying the LCI dip because of muh share structure and epic short squeeze"? I also get mad gains, and have a banging hot interest rate (I just did some rape hikes; Shit was SO crash). You are all faggots who should just liquidate your portfolios and apply for a job at McDonald's. Thanks for listening.

Pic Related: It's me and my FED Funds Rate.

Attached: 3141B90C-3431-49DB-8298-C10DA46F03B8.jpg (600x622, 69K)

got my report button standing by

holy fuck people actually stayed and watched that absolute shit last week?

>movie week has been disappointing for a while now

Attached: you just dont learn, do you.jpg (500x384, 36K)

160 is already a decent price. I would hold at least until Apple releases their 5G handsets.

The 5G hype will be unreal. Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are coming out of massive acquisition sprees and they have massive debt piles with interest rates going up even higher in the near term. They will need to shill this 5G stuff massively and demand for new devices will explode. Imo this generation of iPhones is a cashgrab on the impatient. Those who are waiting for 5G to get a phone werent willing to buy the new models regardless of their prices. Knowing this Apple inflated prices this generation knowing that only diehard Apple users would buy these phones, and they can sell them new ones in 1-2 years kek.

I have a 6% loss on VTI and VEU from my retirement accounts. Lots of people spamming recession and I'm starting to get afraid. Should I sell everything and go cash? I lump summed shortly after the recovery early this year after selling before January/February correction. My avg cost is very high right now. A recession would wipe me out.

Y'all really think Apple's gonna shit the bed?

If you're in that much danger I'd cash out or go all-in on a diverse boomer gold or noncyclical portfolio.

Hard to say, but selling at these levels seems kind of stupid, because forward P/E is the lowest its been in years, and we still have decent earnings growth on the horizon.

Although, I would continue to pile money in on the way down/sideways if you are actually saving for retirement and wouldn't be forced to sell if we went into global recession.

Thanks. What's a non cyclical portfolio look like? I only bought Vanguard stuff before sort of a noob.

Its possible in the near term. It will trend back up in the intermediate term because of industry tailwinds.

>What's a non cyclical portfolio look like?

healthcare, utilities, consumer staples

investopedia.com/articles/00/082800.asp

>tfw down like $1000 on RIV.

Fuck, I only bought 3k worth and averaged down ...

so how is asia markets looking tonight?

Attached: 1486070065771.png (1382x922, 1009K)

whats the opposite of good

i've just been buying $1000 a month for a while now, everything just keeps going down though feels bad

Does that buying strategy work? Maybe set it for a little higher in case it doesn't come crashing down?

I do see some serious losses in the next coming week or so now that Powell has everyone terrified. In the long run, I see Apple winning. I understand it to be a well run company, with a lot of cash on hand in case it needs it.

But damn the way folks are talking here it's like everyone's going to lose their 401k's again.

A buying opportunity ?

Pic unrelated

Attached: 48383864_2512476138769731_6314699332213800960_n(4).jpg (766x960, 71K)

The problem is long term bonds are being fucked by the yield curve inversion, at least for treasuries. Short term treasuries are objectively better investments rn.

Based Chad of the Fed Reserve

Attached: 1542749972414.png (418x455, 119K)

Nikkei is a buy at 19k, the long awaited support. still no sign of carry traders for some reason

down half a point

I've already lost over $5,500 since October. Really testing my patience.

Attached: ENOUGH.jpg (393x325, 83K)

holy fuck

yeah and after the total bond market bloodbath cataclysm when yield curve flips, bonds are gonna head upwards for like 3 years. ez trade is ez m8
buy the dip

Attached: 30yr during inversion.png (1451x675, 107K)

What should we watch? When we went through Taxi Driver, the Big L and stuff it was kino.
What's another good one to watch

Why didnt I sell any of the other times I knew I should in the past six months.

I am that frog in the slowly boiling pot.

Hodl me Jow Forums

Feels bad to see the principle go down but it will rise long term. Almost no one calls the exact bottom.

Attached: 998738F3-1713-496C-96DE-15B1473AD426.jpg (1199x449, 205K)

no were watching die hard senpai
this is non negotiable

dunno
i was getting funny looks all year for talking about the end all the time. but here we are. atleast wait for a bounce at this point tho
like user said, too many smol specs LARPing the big short. gonna get squeeed by SOMEONE whos sitting cash for holidays when they come back imo

yep tahts the idea, ive been buying SPY and QQQ and on occasion some QLD and SSO, I dont fuck with the TQQQ 3x memes tho. 2x have proven themselves through a recession so i like those ETFs, i can take the volatility currently, and its always good to have guaranteed staples like QQQ/SPY to form a solid basis to any memefolio

I just started investing.

After a downturn like today, is it more likely the markets will rebound, or will it probably go lower?

Attached: 1446495628594s.jpg (123x125, 3K)

Why not sell some calls or enter a collar?

Fucking based
Okay
Things are going to get much worse

thats why i always say buy and hold is the hardest strat. emotionally, that is
everyone says its easy because you just buy dips. but in a bear market thats not the easiest thing to get yourself to do. takes balls of steel to do that through a whole recession ya know?

I've been inclined to believe that there would be a bounce before the end, but it could just as very well be that pessimism takes over the market and prevents any real gains before major waves of defaults trigger a recession. The time frame we're dealing with is in a lot of flux.

You should probably wait a bit longer user, put your money into safe places like 2 year t bonds and wait for the crash next year to go into stocks.

We don't know. I personally don't think it will go much lower than this but there are people who think it will drop another 50%.

We just don't know. You can dollar cost average in or wait until sentiment feels more positive and the pool feels safe to get in.

Attached: 1532142739293.gif (450x506, 3.34M)

rebound then go lower

down 1k today thanks amerifats

Is this how buying works? Any reason not to use limit orders like this?
>I'm thinking of setting a limit order for 150, another for 140, etc on the way down in case it really does plummet. I think Schwab can keep a limit order for like 30 days if it doesn't happen immediately.

Based anime poster

Just buy things that never go down
Mcdonalds, Unilever, Colgate
These never go down, if you buy things that dont go down your portfolio also will never go down

Every time I think about selling, I think, "Oh, but we've got to be at the bottom now. I'd be a fool to sell now!" And I said this all the way from 270 to 260 to 250.

Attached: just_levels.png (428x380, 270K)

>Things that never go down
Not gonna make it

You're welcome. We aim to please.

Attached: 1479547490514.jpg (988x948, 154K)

it may be the hardest emotionally but its the easiest financially to truly make it, which is what im looking for