Redpill me on being a trucker

I see places on craigslist that pay for CDL training. Seems like good money for a single guy. Would it be rewarding to drive around America?

Attached: peterbilt-interior.jpg (425x319, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mv-voice.com/news/2018/10/30/driverless-cars-okd-for-local-streets
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You missed the trucker hate thread we had a good one yesterday.

In short don't do it. It's a miserable lifestyle, the pay is actually bad considering the hours, and everyone hates you and thinks your subhuman trash. Nobody's gonna feel sad when this low IQ inbreds are automated out of existence in ten years.

they pay for your training and you sign a contract to work for them for 2 years for minimum wage.

they make you drive with shit broken on the trucks, then if you get busted by DOT you're going to federal prison, or shelling out whatever small amount of money you made to hire a really great lawyer. the company/management will deny they ever told you to drive under such conditions and you're stuck in the middle.

you still need people behind the wheel even with automation retard

>le flying cars meme

Truckers will be one of the first occupations to be hit by self-driving cars. Think about it: long-haul trucking on the Interstate is going to be very easy to automate. At most, they'll need like one guy in a convoy of semis to handle edge cases and some workers at the endpoints to handle the in-city driving. Beyond that, trucking jobs are going to dry up very, very suddenly and you'll be up a creek.
Maybe get a job as a diesel mechanic instead. Even automated trucks will need repairing.

>you still need people driving a truck that drives itself

Maybe for the first couple years while boomers and lawmakers are still skeptical but people will see quickly that empty autonomous trucks are 10x safer than the low IQ meth addicts currently on the roads and the "hurr i'll make 30/hour sleeping in my self driving truck" brainlets will be put out to pasture.

Attached: 1544236782549.jpg (851x1125, 163K)

I've had my cdl for 20 years now and if I had to do it over again I probably would. I worked for a local company that put me thru school for it in exchange for 18 months service to them, which wasn't bad. Ive done long and short haul, considered hazmat and bus but didn't. Hurt my shoulder 7 years ago (outside of work) and started driving my own car as a courier since I couldn't shift without pain, and i'm probably remain a courier. It was decent money and for a single guy with minimal debt I was able to save up 100k in about 5 years back then.

Attached: mycuteasian.jpg (335x475, 30K)

Trucking is absolutely patrician tier if I wasn't making more doing something even easier I would totally go back to trucking

>Maybe for the first couple years while boomers and lawmakers

This is the exact reason why vehicles will never be fully automated and will always require a human occupant dumbass.

it will never be automated because there are varying grades and weather conditions and you have to chain up. no automated car is going to drive over the rockies in the winter. just stop, you don't know what you're talking about.

I think it's kind of pathetic how myopic and short sighted people can be. Look at the change in the last hundred years. To honestly believe that we will never outright replace truckers with computers is retarded. It's coming. It will happen slowly at first and then all at once. Laws won't allow for it to happen until it has a proven track record. Then the unions will fight it. It's coming, though. Give it 20 years.

>I don't understand how to implement it so it can never exist: the post.
People much smarter than you are working on it.

>muh winter mountain truck driving

Yeah and how many of the average CDL drivers are driving on icy mountain roads you absolute fucking brainlet? 90% of it is driving through rural middle america for thousands of miles and will be automated.

Attached: 92d.jpg (211x239, 5K)

>they make you drive with shit broken on the trucks, then if you get busted by DOT you're going to federal prison, or shelling out whatever small amount of money you made to hire a really great lawyer.

This happened to my brother in law verbatim while working as a long haul trucker.

Trucking is hemorrhoid city. You dont get tougher against it btw you just break down more with time. Sitting down for 14 hours ain't good even once. You WILL have a hemorrhoid in your first week.

guarantee by the time trucking in adverse weather conditions is automated, whatever shit job you have will be gone as well

You'll always have someone in the truck. How else is the company going to pass the buck when an accident happens. I'd call you a brainlet for your blind faith in automation but my life's not in a sad enough state for me to have a folder of reaction images.

stop posting pics of yourself

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I was only considering doing it for a couple years so automation isn’t a huge factor. Kind of worried about being saddled with an illegally broken truck though, hm.

Lol you sounds like a total fag and I guarantee you do not have what it takes to truck kid

The state knows the companies are doing it. The companies know it too. They both look the other way of each other and shift the blame to the poor sucker behind the wheel making 30kyr. The nice cabs like in your pic are for private truckers or the guys who have been OTR for 20+ years. Newbies will be sleeping in literal dirt covered cabins.

Whoever sold them the autonomous driving truck would be liable. And if you think there would be more accidents with computers driving on the roads than the sub 80 IQ retards out there hogging the left lane and cutting people off to make that extra .1 cent on the hour there's no point of arguing with you anyways. So in reality the amount of money saved on accidents would be exponential in addition to not paying drivers.

You also have to deal with fags like this at work who tell you to suck it up that you might get busted by the DOT or highway patrol and end up in federal prison.

The government comes down extremely hard on truckers considering.

I do not recommend it user, it's not worth the money. Sitting down for 14 hours a day wreaks havoc on your body. And you'll kill yourself with energy drinks and coffee so you don't nod off at the wheel.

>2018
>still don't have a driverless, autonomous tiny car on the road
>thinks driverless, autonomous trucks carrying thousands of lbs of cargo are right around the corner

Attached: 1512631478554.png (679x769, 58K)

here's a brainlet for you to save

Attached: maga.jpg (588x823, 146K)

>implying there aren't already autonomous cars on the roads in shitty cities like Pittsburgh where city driving is a nightmare
>implying it wouldn't be easier to automate driving on the highway for 3,000 miles
>implying autonomous trucks won't be rushed out of production first due to the massive savings to be had from major corporations

The money is to be made in self driving trucks, so we will have that technology well before self driving cars. But I suppose capitalism is too hard of a concept for low IQ truck drivers to understand.

Attached: 1515661425233.png (403x448, 53K)

>>implying there aren't already autonomous cars on the roads in shitty cities like Pittsburgh where city driving is a nightmare

They still have a human in the car, tard

>They still have a human in the car, tard

mv-voice.com/news/2018/10/30/driverless-cars-okd-for-local-streets

Forogot my brainlet, retard.

Attached: 1517110219318.png (645x729, 62K)

Bitcoin Ben! Keep on truckin.

It'll happen with trucks first because it's easier to automate predictable, long-haul routes on divided highways than it is to automate driving around in a city.

I'm from poorfag area, where 80% of males either weld in the West or drive trucks.

pros :
> good salary
> work itself is rather chill
> not much interaction with the boss
> on / off schedule

cons :
> painful hemorrhoids
> time constraint
> poor hygiene and diet, sweating balls in a pit, then washing yourself with a canister roadside.
> the worst - those guys' wives play victims and they are so lonely in this cold world ...well..truck drivers are cucked as fuck and the whole town knows it.
> your OP pic is a meme, trucks are usually shitty and dirty

>driving around in a city

Where do you think trucks haul shit to?

Attached: 1520405601621.png (550x543, 18K)

Nice flat.

>The truth.

There is two major issues that stop the autonomous operator meme. One of which being the liabality scenerio and dependablity of said systems.

And two, being the issue of straight up hijackings. It is not expensive to buy a jammer to block the gps /warning systems... that will allow you enough time in the middle of rural nebraska to use a vehicle to slowly force the truck to stop on the shoulder : then allow you to cut the lock and loot the contents.

The only reason this does not happen currently is armed truckers and truckers passing said truck on the side of the road to phone it in. We have thought of long term on these scenerios and all agree it is the biggest hurdle to overcome. Which is near impossible outside of us making our own moblie security or hiring a firm. THUS negating the cost benefit of deploying self driving trucks because of covering said liabality, theft and loss of product /reputation.

AUTO OTR trucking only becomes viable once 95% of vehicles are self driving/checkpoint reporting - and there are more state police on high transit highways.

>AMA

>At most, they'll need some workers at the endpoints to handle the in-city driving.

some wagecuck will pick the order in the city you fucking brainlet

Also...

A major issue we come across is two lane highways. For instance we have a strech of road 20 miles long. If a vehicle ours or not ours breaksdown or someone intentially does something to stop vehicle everything on that route backs up, much like a assembly line failure. You have to stop the line to fix the issue... in AOTR trucking we have this issue only its much more common outside of a contolled enviorment aka on the roads.

2 lane highways are the bane of this for the fact that if breakdown occurs 1 lane is open. The truck cannot pass on its own since it cannot see around the vehicle, like a normal operator can and thus starts a chain reaction causing traffic jams that stackup for miles very quickly, especally on high traffic byways. A manually operating truck this issue is non existant as the operator can decide to go around this minor hickup

I sit 14+ hours behind my pc every single day retard... never got roids.

Friend's dad does it. His truck pretty comfy. Seems lonely though being on the road so much.

Your office desk isnt bumping on the road with variable temperatures

that's because you have a pathetic civilian plug. 4 hours with a mandatory trucking plug would destroy you.

Could the programming recognize a guy in a safety vest waving it on to change lanes? Or maybe pay for some kind of override device to be issued to state troopers?

Automation is a meme for the time being. It will take another 10-15 years at least for the technology to be perfected, another 10 years for the majority of the trucks to be replaced with automated, plus another 10 years for the laws to be changed, and so on. You could become a trucker tomorrow and probably retire before truckers begin to be wiped out. Your kids probably won't be truckers though.

Low level bean-counting will be automated long before professions that involve public safety

it already happens in australia and parts of USA. while the truck is in the city, bruce drives it.

after it gets on the interstate, its total autopilot until the next town. driver just has to hold the steering wheel. when the legislation gets through (which is unlikely, because truck driving unions have huge political influence, as its a huge chunk of capitalist working class white men on good money with families) they'll be able to take bruce out of the equation outside city limits