Careers

How does an early 20s male start a career? College meme for $50k-$100k in debt? Maybe for some of the learn-ed proffesions but the value of a bachelors degree is diluted in general, seems like a waste of money. Training to get a certification in an industry? Apprenticeship? ""Starting a business""

I have no idea what to do with my life at this point but I want a career that I can have linear progress in, and feel fulfilled. Honestly thinking about getting fit and joining the Navy in an intelligence MOS. Good, interesting career options afterwards and get a security clearance. No other idea of what to do.

Attached: 1500148398721.jpg (220x229, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Src4T1uNI7w
wired.com/story/embark-self-driving-truck-deliveries/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Comp sci / iT / trades / nursing

Why is every single faggot taking on five to six digits in debt for college? Do NONE of you have any roots? Are all of your parents fucking cunts who don't pay for shit? I fall into the latter category—I simply have no family as they literally all died in a car crash—but I wonder why you're all so fucked up. Your parents should be paying for school. The relative impact of the cost of education on their income is extremely low, as opposed to the average 20-something cunt working at Starbucks for $9.50/hour. Jesus H. Christ, this country is in trouble.

My parents combined make near $750,000 annual. Both graduate school educated. My family split up when I was young and being the oldest I was left alone a lot of the time. Squandered my formative years (high school) playing video games and fucking around instead of schooling. Parents decline to pay for anything or assit me while they go on extravagant vacations. They think I'm a loser - which I probably am because I didn't know how to apply myself in high school.

Now, 4 years this year after high school I am stuck in a minimum wage job, barely scraping by, no prospects. And I hear from friends who are graduating and going to their six figure jobs. I have no idea what to do with my life.

Your parents are shitheads. Do you think you can convince them that you've reformed?

you say you have no idea what to do yet you laid out your career path lmao.

stop posting and get ur application in. The career itself doesnt matter as long as its a decent check and you dont want to neck yourself when youre at work.

Americans xD
Take a loan if you want to be smart they said xDDD

>Squandered my formative years (high school) playing video games and fucking around instead of schooling.
Also, you have another one or two sets of formative years ahead of you (20-25, maybe 26-30)

Go trucking

Attached: A7081BF1-0FC0-4FC6-8736-846BB5E513A9.jpg (2048x2048, 1.09M)

Become a based plumber

Yeah, but overhead costs slashes that by at least half

That’s ok.

Attached: 88C8FAF5-EF79-49F8-BE18-2E67E6DD6380.jpg (1242x674, 317K)

>ur parents are shitheads. Do you think you can convince them that you've reformed?
They are incredibly stubborn. I guess if I paid my own way through a semester in college and showed them my success they would help. But banking on the hope that they will help me out is dangerous.

>Also, you have another one or two sets of formative years ahead of you (20-25, maybe 26-30)
Of course. I meant formative relative to where I am at and should be now.
Application? To what, an apprenticeship of some kind?
How do you do this? Does one own the trucks themselves or company vehicles? I would imagine in varies. Besides the proper license what else is required to get into this?
>that massive push bar
is that you?

This board is full of literal peasants lately.

html/css/js learn it in a year and get a web design job, then keep developing your skills into things you're interested in, VR might be something nice to branch into

Truck and trailer are ours and we lease onto a carrier as owner operators for 85% of the rate. (Above pic is after the 15%)
Yes. I custom ordered it from Herd in Canada. Best 5k ever spent

Attached: FCF01343-FAB0-42BF-B4B8-19C0617418EF.jpg (4032x3024, 3.6M)

I always see people posting on here and Jow Forums about how the make $80k-$120k a year in IT or web design.

The only other posts I see in regards to this topic are people saying that they self taught but can't be hired by anyone. I just read a few minutes ago someone saying he applied to 1700 positions and got nothing.

Post ur stub
Trucking is upper middle class unless u work for a mega

Attached: 4BC580A2-EDE9-40CF-86A6-1FC940591A99.jpg (1242x1647, 341K)

>They are incredibly stubborn. I guess if I paid my own way through a semester in college and showed them my success they would help. But banking on the hope that they will help me out is dangerous.
In your position, I'd make a serious, full retard effort for a semester, then come to them with a portfolio of achievement for the last x months, and lay it all out for them. Chad just got a job at Niggertech Ltd making $200k while you're sitting here working at QuikEMart because your parents have hamstrung you with their boomer autism. Maybe that'll change their minds—they could be more willing to help he who helps himself, etc.

>The only other posts I see in regards to this topic are people saying that they self taught but can't be hired by anyone. I just read a few minutes ago someone saying he applied to 1700 positions and got nothing.

It's a market. You have to have a product (your skills, in a visible format i.e. a nice website you've made) and a price. You go on Upwork, take their tests, put a link on your profile with your work on, and start undercutting the rest of the world in what you're willing to do.

Pajeets doing the work for 1 dollar an hour is a meme, the type of Indians who have comparable skills draw a wage that's reasonable even by American standards. Even if it's minimum wage it beats wagecucking.

Trucking seems cool but I'm kind of a shitty driver, I tend to zone out and it always takes me forever to make left turns onto busy roads

>I just read a few minutes ago someone saying he applied to 1700 positions and got nothing
imagine being this much of a pajeet, kek

go trucking, you'll be six figures in like 2 years

It’s fun I can book a load wherever I feel like going and take off whenever.
I delivered the awning system to juvia in south beach Miami last year. And they paid me 500$ day layover for 3 days cause whenever I got there they weren’t ready for me.

Attached: B110170C-D819-41C8-BC5E-DDE6D4DC1FB9.jpg (2816x3397, 1.98M)

This seems interesting, however not a sustainable career. I could use it as a stepping stone to where I would like to be.

Frankly there is a serious threat of this employment disappearing because of Elon and his South African Satanic self-driving vehicles.

The other thing that makes me nervous is that whenever I get around a bunch of truckers they start fucking each other in the ass and stuff, it's pretty weird honestly

>Application? To what, an apprenticeship of some kind?

If the navy will take you then join it if you really need the money.

Working in an apprenticeship through the trades is also a decent option, although your body will likely suffer for it long term

The military is no joke one of the best ways to rise above your station if you know how to work it and go in with idea that you are preparing to get out of the military. Even if you don’t enlist, the method of making it is the same. Grind hard af for 4-5 years and stuff away every little bit of money you can, build up that money ball because until you get your money working for you, your ass is gonna struggle. Buy boomer stocks, buy real estate and don’t be a rent cuck.

This, I only wish I'd started sooner
Fuck the military tho

>boomer stocks, buy real estate

lol clueless

Real estate in 2-4 years, and boomer stocks should only constitute a small % of your portfolio until they come down a bit IMO. Gold 5%, Bitcoin 5%, stocks 5%, rest in cash until RE comes down

I can’t wait till Elon musk replaces me. Spoiler alert we will be on fake mars before that

Attached: 5E525708-EFD2-4465-9427-B007642F1307.jpg (3024x3569, 1.36M)

It’s how %90 of self made millionaires make it. You want to try to be that special snowflake, you go ahead.

Dumbasses who go to for-profit schools, private schools, or prestige schools. I went to Cal Poly Pomona and made 400 dollars in profit because I also went to a community college before that.

You can easily get a real degree in computer science / engineering / etc. for like 30k tops. If you didn’t spend all of high school smoking weed you could even do it for close to nothing with scholarships.

true

Even more clueless

I'm working a Civil service job that doesn't even require a college degree for 46k per year with a 2k raise every year so there's people here making 65k without a college degree. When I graduate in May in engineering I'll be promoted and start at 62k with 2.5k raises per year, but you need college for that

Stop browsing r9k and go to college or do a skilled trade. As soon as you realize the people on r9k are doing the opposite of trying to help you you can start to undo everything you learned from them. College isn't even a meme, it's just something a lot of people make excuses for and whine about, that's there are so many r9k threads about it.

Should l become an electrician or carpenter?

Attached: 1535453289709.gif (275x200, 116K)

Literally me. I didn't become actually sentient until my early 20s. And then it hit me like a truck how many opportunities I had in high school that I just completely threw in the trash. I would give a lot to go back and do it all over again. I would tell all my loser friends to fuck off and focus entirely on studying. If I knew pic related would be my life at 23 I'd probably just kms in middle school

When link moon sirs...

Attached: IMG_20190108_150522.jpg (2569x1975, 1.04M)

Electrician. Carpenter is more backbreaking in general. With electrical work you can overcharge old ladies for simple repairs.

that 1700 application guy has to be a larp. make a fake resume yourself and see how many responses you get.

I'm one of the latter. Been learning for 2 years part-time and I'm finding it difficult to get a job. I'm lurking this thread for ideas in case i still haven't got a job by the summer. It's not as easy as people online made it out to be

Do you have a GitHub or other kind of visible portfolio where you post projects that you've made on your own (or in collaboration with others)?

I'm about to go to CC for an associates in IT web development, don't know if it will end well but we'll see.

Attached: 1546241834657.jpg (626x346, 157K)

>don't know if it will end well
Have you looked at the job market in your area for that kind of degree, or the reputation of your CC?

Yes. I'm trying to do some open source, bit tricky knowing how to begin with that but it's only been a few days. I've had one interview and one phone interview. Applied for about 15 jobs but I write tailored cover letters instead of using a scattergun 1700 applications approach

youtube.com/watch?v=Src4T1uNI7w

this guy got a job making $70k at 19 with no college education.

copy his portfolio, and start spamming out applications. make sure you apply to jobs within 4 days of posting, and within the hours of 6am-10am the employers time. Spam the shit out your applications as well, and apply to jobs you don't even want because you'll want the interview practice.

bruh. 2/15 is amazing. you'll get a job eventually.

15 jobs and 1 interview and 1 phone interview is already really good (1 reply for every 50-100 applications is considered normal in this fucked up day and age). You just need to keep cranking out those applications, soul-crushing though they are after a while.

This is in the midwest so its all pretty average, I would be looking for remote work and or freelancing.

Well, if you've checked everything out and it all seems viable then there's nothing else but to actually do it. Good luck.

Thanks, user.

Go to a CC and ask if there are any programs to help people transfer to universities. My state gives you instant admission to the state university if you get your associates. This saves you soo much money and with FAFSA you can save even more.

based, how much do you make now?

Hell if I know. I'm 35 and making 45k, still don't know what to do with my life

This means a lot m8s. I've been seriously depressed the last few months and turning 25 and about to leave home on a minimum wage salary, broke up with gf, in debt, feeling ready to just give up. Thanks a lot

That's given me renewed enthusiasm and helped my imposter syndrome because I can do all of that stuff pretty comfortably. He definitely has a better eye for design and animation tho. Thanks for the vid, I'm going to borrow a lot of those ideas

Its good to see that there are other warehousecuck-bros are here.I dont feel so alone anymore:)

Do not go navy nuke do not go navy nuke do not go navy nuke

>parents make 750k a year
>son makes minimum wage
something doesnt add up here. do they not invest, have some company, or something they could find for you to do?

I hate to sound entitled but they really have not helped me with anything. The one thing I get is health insurance from my father, but he forwards me any bills that exceed what is covered.

Honestly, your best bet is to fuck off to the military and never look back. Use your GI bill to get a decent degree in something that's in demand when you get out, and forget you ever had family. The first chance you get, go and talk to a recruiter. Don't actually fall for any of their BS though; they'll say anything to get you to sign up.

you realize for the last 2-3 years there has been self driving trucks with people in them just to monitor during the testing phase right?
wired.com/story/embark-self-driving-truck-deliveries/
this link shows 2 years ago that the human was only doing the driving of getting it to and from the interstate. how long do you think that will take to develop?

post went through early

Of course they could pull some strings and get me a job, or do anything. My father is a CEO of a well known insurance company, my mother is an attorney

But like post above, they have never really helped me out. Took driver's test at 21 with friend's car, bought my own car/insurance. Pay my own bills etc. After graduating high school at 18 I had to find somewhere to live.

Literally went from 10,000 sqft house to studio apt and min wage job. All because I fucked around in high school, which I guess is terms for disownment. I don't really have any ill will towards my parents and I'm grateful of the experience of having to build my own way, but I feel stuck. I want a career, I want to progress. I just want a life beyond wage slaving at a small law firm and having no educational prospects or career growth.

It's really fun watching your younger siblings get fancy cars bought for them, going on James Bond-level vacations. Or friends from childhood graduating college and getting six figure jobs from their parents.

I don't drink, do drugs, do anything self-destructive. I'm cordial, keep to myself, work hard. I really don't know where I went wrong. I don't feel like I did something to fuck my life up.

/blog/ - i know, just don't really know what to do or where to go for guidance

Attached: q7k0p0s.jpg (601x508, 49K)

Just wait for your inheritance, bro

The work really isn't even that bad. I bet it's a lot more fun than your regular IT or entry level office job. I just hate getting paid peanuts and feeling so low on the totem pole.

There has to be somewhere I can make 50k driving a forklift. Then I would be cozy

>implying he'll get one and the Boomer parents won't donate it all to frizzie haired afrosexuals

>get 100k in debt
>salary pays 100+k a year
>pay off loans and live frugally
>???
>profit
Take the STEM redpill and progress society.

Working for a local super market warehouse like walmart you can make around $40k a year in cold storage driving a forktruck.

You're going to be automated out of a job in 20 years,

Sales, man. Easy path to six figures.. you just have to call people and hold meetings. Can never be automated because b2b doesn’t happen without these people annoying the shit out decision makers 24/7

Apprenticeship dude. I got no degree making 60k a year in my mid 20s because a few years ago I started training under a sys admin and now I've taken over his position.

Did you use drugs in their house or tried to kill them in the past?

This seems to unfair to give nothing to some you decide to put in the world.

Sales, I went from no internships and no prospects to a 150k a year job in 2 years of sales and 3 job changes.

Good for you:D im making 8k a year without forklift, now when minimal wages has been raised recently, and im not on miniml wage cause we got personal raises every year. Im in mid eourope btw

There are apprenticeships for sys admins? Did you have any skills to start or did you go in it with nothing?

dude literally do what you said in the post. non-combative MOS in any of the military branches isabout as linear as you could possibly get. If you aren't a dumbfuck, getting a nice, stable job is relatively easy.

You can get college done for way less than that. I went to a satellite campus for 2 years, lived at home with parents, then transferred to an in-state public university for statistics, worked & lived frugally until graduation. 30K debt. I now have a great job, only 24 and I’m making ~80K a year with lots of benefits. I worked my ass off though to learn actual skills because college will not do that for you. Degrees are pieces of paper that let people know you can commit to something & you are reliable to wage cuck. Prove to them you also learned some real skills in college outside of school, that’s when you land the good jobs. So college is sort of a meme, but if you’re not an idiot or lazy then you can game the system to actually benefit you.

Did you gen ed then transfer or were you following a specific program from the start?

You can try oil. Many guys dont have college degrees and make decent money. Start at solids control. You drive a Caterpillar loader back and forth and watch some centrifuges. They get like 26 an hour with overtime at 1.5x. Not hard not complicated.

In my specific state they have standardized the gen ed credits to be transferable to any accredited public university within the state. I ended up taking too much calculus from the satellite campus (changed majors) so I wasted some of those gpa boosters on some math & physics classes but 90% of them transferred fine.

My state has a similar structure, but I’m not sure whether I want stick with the compsci program or do the standard gen ed. 99.9% of credits are transferable either way.

Typically speaking you won’t get into any of your hardcore major classes until your junior year.
I would take as many gen ed credits at first because you are going to be a really different person from freshman to sophomore, and sophomore to junior. Your interests will shift & you’ll grow as a person, you may be thanking yourself for leaving your options open and grinding out the bullshit classes for two years and having lots of options to choose from in case you don’t want to do comp sci.

Thanks man

Anytime.

Are federal jobs hard to land? Something like forest ranger or the like would be the greatest thing to my life.

Sorry to hear that user. In my family and friends families this is becoming a huge issue. Just know there are people out there who when hear your story, will have just that slight less chance of being such a parent. Honestly wish you the best wherever you head in life- And im so sorry your life is not what it could be. Take care.

If you are a white male who isn’t a veteran? Yes.

? They don't accept vets?

*gets furloughed*

Attached: 1546889736662.jpg (390x464, 98K)

You know what man? You're probably gonna be better off in the long run than your friends who are just following someone else's program. Not knowing what to do with your life is a great starting point. Find what you enjoy, follow that, all kinds of avenues open up when you are passionate and dedicated. You dont have to know where you're going just keep moving, listen to people, meet people, find your groove dude, life can be really good, and 6 figs ain't got shit to do with it.

Yo, above ^^
comment was meant for you

based parents just want to watch you suffer

>You can try oil. Many guys dont have college degrees and make decent money. Start at solids control. You drive a Caterpillar loader back and forth and watch some centrifuges. They get like 26 an hour with overtime at 1.5x. Not hard not complicated.
Do you have to be a roughneck badass? Do you have to banter about sportsball and talk about how Carmen Electra is a fine piece of ass? Do I have to love Drumpf? BASED negroes?

all of the above

>Lifeguard
>Lifeguard Trainer
>Lifeguard trainer trainer
>Management of Trainers
>Move to Council management
>CEO of some department

It's okay OP. You're just apart of the doomer master race. Society is on the breach on collapse and we will soon feel the pressure weigh off our shoulders. Keep living in the shadows my friend, soon everyone else will be with us.

Attached: fullsizeoutput_262.jpg (900x1042, 70K)

Just go to college and don’t major in something retarded. It’s easy

>thinking the average millenial has a stable, two parent household
Oh no no no