In planning on starting a business that includes but is not focused on selling Linux and other free software in a brick...

In planning on starting a business that includes but is not focused on selling Linux and other free software in a brick and mortar building on CDs and USB drives.

The hook of course being that tech illiterates can get this software without researching or downloading it themselves so they will pay a small fee for that convenience

Is this illegal. I know it would be for something like windows which is for profit but what about a free software? There are seemimgly infinite online places that do this same thing so what not a physical location? Where might I go to make it legal if it isn't? Just ask permission from someone on the company website? Also what about making it free but taking donations? Or offering it for free along with a paid installation or short class of some kind?

Attached: images.png (311x162, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
system76.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: fbz_d180812f261bfb8d4cacca82dcb23558.jpg (500x489, 29K)

I mean... It depends on your area of course, but I can tell you that it is indeed illegal in France (and I believe in Europe). Most of this free software is opensource, you are allowed to download and often modify them to an extent. However, you cannot profit off someone else's intellectual property.

You can probably help with installation and get a fee of that, but defo can't profit off the software itself.

I also don't know many IT newbs who would look for Linux related stuff desu. So you'll probably be installing VLC, Malware removers and such all day.

Thanks. Im in the US and was thinking it might be something like that

The idea is to basically try to present technology, math, and computer engineering it a cool way that may get people interested. Basically if radio shack, Spencers, and a book store had a baby.

Those few who stop in for the novelty or people who are just feeling lazy about the download would be the ones to buy this "cool new software" from a little rack near the cash register.

Maybe just cut that part out though?

I understand what you are looking to do. But if I were to give you honest advice here, this will not be profitable. I mean even if all you have physically is a wooden stand in the middle of a mall I doubt you will cover whatever fixed / variable costs you will have. The cash flow generation you potentially can hope for is small, VERY small.

I see no potential for growth or value in this. Sorry.

It's absolutely legal. A bit retarded, but legal...

Are you going to help these "tech illiterates" compile drivers for their laptop touchpads and bluetooth anal vibrators after they buy your software?

I can't guarantee every combination of course. But I'd absoluely be willing to learn for my business

Give it a shot!

How many units will you have to turn over to float your rent and is that a realistic number? How are you going to get people into your store?

If you've already answered those two questions (in a way that indicates "go for it")the world belongs to you and nobody here is even qualified to help you or advise you differently.

Those particular units? About 400 per month to meet my current bills and business loan payments which is unrealistic but that would be a small section. But I get your point

And I plan to spread the news via radio and billboard mostly. But also got two small business that I know the owners if to agree to pass out cards for me. I think newspaper would be a bad option since even though it's cheap and reaches a large audience.

Anyone else have a suggestion on where to go for legal business advice without shelling out for a lawyer over such a small issue

Because im at a loss on that and I feel like this kinda got derailed to discussing my business model

Bullshit. It is allowed to sell GPL (let alone MIT) software, provided you also make the source available along with it (no problem in OP's case).
gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
I don't see why French law would have anything to say about something which is expressly allowed by the license of the software.

You can go to a best buy and purchase a boxed copy of Suse (open source software being sold profitably), or whatever the enterprise flavor of the week is nowadays, and right in the licensing it says you can redistribute for free or profit. You just can't close the code and claim you made it and no one else can sell/ distribute it. The license needs to be displayed and all of that shit.

Basically, answer all of your 10's by reading the gpl.

Regarding your business, I think you would have to go all the way and also sell Ubuntu installations/preinstalled laptops.
But I don't see how insert usb drive > run installer program would be more convenient than running apt-get or installing the package via synaptic.

This is perfectly legal, and sometimes encouraged, but only as long as you distribute it with the source code. I doubt anyone will buy this though because A.) normalfags only use software that has an advertising department and B.) they can download this stuff easily for free with a simple google search.

>Buy up used thinkpads,
>replace the keyboards so they look new (takes 15 bucks max)
>put ubuntu 18.4 on it (10 year support)
sell them for some money

The only advantage I can think of is the iso's are a pain in the ass to get onto a bootable disk or usb drive in windows. At least they used to be. I'm not sure about currently, as I've been using ubuntu exclusively since 2012.

the type of person who wants a used thinkpad already knows how to install linux themselves

Is it legal? For practically all of open source, excluding some very specific outliers like MAME, yes. Absolutely.

Can you make a business out of it? Unless you can sell services to companies and want to face off with Red Hat and the like, not bloody likely. People can download their iso images themselves, and no one in their right mind wants anything to do with CD/DVD-ROM anyway.

Think about what is your value proposition really, and to whom?

People will not buy this. Anyone who wants to use linux should be savy enough to download it or get it free from some other source. I also wouldn't trust some random dudes usb drives preloaded with softwares.

It's not illegal. There are businesses who do. However there's not much money to be made.

If you don't want to be sued by say Canonical for the trademark or something then just use a tool to build your own Debian-based distro. It's leagal to do that and it 'Boomer OS' or whatever you want. That's what's Apple is doing hush hush.

while true, there are some companies that ship custom build laptops with linux instead of windows and they come cheaper because of it.

check out

system76.com/

they sell laptops with linux on em.

actually study the history of radio shack before starting.

have you ever used Linux?
nobody is going to pay for that shit

You are underestimating how cucked europeans really are.

There will be near zero demand for your business

Why?

I ask for an explaination because I'm ready to so this...but I feel like there may not be enough people to grab. I also feel like math and tech are two subjects that a lot of people may love if only they were given a more interesting introduction and new people to any hobby are profitable.

Please I want criticism so I don't duck myself over for life

if you want to sell laptops with linux on it, that will work.

if you just want to sell usbs with linux on it, it wont work, no one that wants linux will pay for it when they can download it themselves.

Ok. Not meaning to argue but this is really the last point I need to wrap this thread up. And its more than just the install discs this is the business model as a whole.

I keep hearing that people will just download the software for free and but the books for cheaper on amazon or whatever else. But what about that human laziness that so many businesses have been made and broken on?

All this is right there with a helpful shop keeper walking around asking what they are looking for and explaining pros/cons to each product and suggesting starting places for ones particular circumstance. Isn't that worth a few extra bucks to the average Joe to not have to think for themselves?

Am I right there, that people would be attracted to that for such an intimidating topic or am I just being a boomer about that "shop feel" that is going to learn how the world really works through debt soon?

>the average Joe to not have to think for themselves?
The problem is that the Joe that does not want to think wants a windows PC and will be annoyed when he finds out what you sold him is not windows.

maybe there's a tiny minority of boomers who might be interested in it but it seems unlikely enough that you will make any worthwhile money
sure do it as a hobby, user

Fail. No one who is tech illiterate has any use for, or even knows that Linux exists.

maybe you should just start a regular computer / tech support shop and offer them free software as a friendly bonus

If a tech illiterate needs to use Linux (for whatever reason) he would hire someone to install it for him/her.
Selling something which is free to uneducated people is not a very good idea.

Sup, good idea actually. I might acitually package maximum bloated oem Ubuntu that is easy as windows so that a kid can use it. Then sell it for 10 bucks a copy, batteries and wine included. I think no body will give a fuck if I seed this out if my Russian company (I'm in Russia and the copyright is non-existent here)

There's nothing in free software licenses that prohibit this. Debian and others sell DVDs with their OS.

The problem is that nobody who knows what Linux is will pay you for it. The only business model for free software is selling expert support//consulting to small businesses who use Linux.

So dumb

Attached: 1546472262453.jpg (475x630, 41K)

OP I get it you love open source. And that makes you a red pilled and based man.

But.. There is a reason all people aren't using opensource. They rather pay a few bucks or use their free OS that came with their system than hassle to find which distro they need..

Also if you have a brick and mortar store and make a living you probably need to sell those free opensource packages for at least 30 bucks.

Try to shill this to your dad, 99% he rather goes with Windows since that's only a few more bucks extra and he is already acquainted with it.

If you want to preach opensource solutions think about starting a consulting company . There are businesses and even some governments who really want to go opensource.

how to find good developpers ?