Majoring in computer science

is it a waste of time

Attached: j3C1YO5.jpg (702x478, 27K)

My bank account says otherwise

I would major in something different if I were to do it again. Microsoft and Google shills are all over Jow Forums trying to get people to join programming so they can cheapen wages.

what do you? software engineering? did you have a hard time finding a job?

No, but make sure to learn stuff on your own outside of school too. Depending on what you want to do, a nice portfolio of projects you've worked on helps. You'll also learn more than your peers that way.

do you do*

I usually FUD software engineering to discourage others but about 10% of the time I like to brag

yes. The government has made it easy for companies to import low cost pajeets

There are programmers, then there are computer scientists. Which one do you want to be?

Which is to say are you getting into this because you want to make money or because you're interested in the theory of computation? Or both? There's no wrong answer, but if you're leaning towards the first choice then I would look into a truly reputable boot camp. If you're into the math behind it too then I would go the college route imo. Either way you will need only a basic (but strong) grasp of discrete math.

A lot of kids on here knock the compsci meme, but its because they entered it under the first pretense when they really shouldn't have gone the college route. Of course its math heavy, computation deals with complexity, automata and computability. Its literally a subset of math, don't really know what people were expecting. but idk

I'm not fudding ironically, I'm fudding because it actually pays shit and if I were 18 I'd have gone into the military or started working at Publix and I'd be a manager by now with no after-hours studying involved, just showing up to work everyday.

Time invested into programming to make X salary is a massive scam. You can invest said time into virtually any other industry and make comparable pay. I know a guy who does service at the car dealership and makes 20k more than me, he started out as their valet guy. He's been doing it only for 3-4 years too, no degree.

I have a PhD in CS (state school but ok) and haven’t found a job in 6 months. I’ve been delivering doordash to pay rent, not memeing. Might move back home.

>Which one do you want to be?
literally have no clue. mostly in it for the money, and partly because i have a general interest in tech. but i feel like i'd be outsourced by pajeets and chinks and i'll be wasting 6 years of my life for a 25k salary

this is what i fear the most, not being able to find a job after spending so many years in school. i know another guy with a cs degree who can't find a job either cause no one wants to hire him.

>i'd be outsourced by pajeets and chinks
Worse, you’ll be replaced by neural networks. Normies and business majors will be able to write programs by describing their program into a microphone.

You have to make yourself more valuable than your peers. If that means cracking a book instead of going out on a Friday night then so be it. And your motivation doesn't have to be the love of computer science either. The more information you consume, the bigger your knowledge base is. That's why people who have been in a specific field for a long time get paid more. Not because of the tenure, but because of the knowledge they've acquired.

So if that means your justification to learn programming is that every time you learn a data structure you add .10 cents to your hourly rate then so be it. Everyone finds their own motivations to add value. That's what attracts money.

they won't hire you, it's a catch-22. you need the experience to get hired but no one will hire you without experience.

take a junior level role for instance - you need 3 years previous experience in their EXACT stack. it doesn't matter if you know every other language in the job description, if you dont have their EXACT library they're looking for, they wont hire you. 5-10 years ago, a junior title was only for your first year or so. I know guys with 4 years experience who are STILL junior developers.

it's half in part due to HR roasties who know nothing about tech. and other half in part because companies can't be bothered to train anyone because that's too costly, despite the fact that they're going to pay you enough to live paycheck to paycheck in your 1 bedroom apartment. that's another thing they do - they hire people on as junior developers and give them responsibilities of a senior developer. in other words, your skill or knowledge base is irrelevant, only the TIME on your resume next to "years experience".

programming is a meme - I'm glad I know it because **I** like making things but in terms of employment it's utter shit.

most programmers in my area as well are working nights and weekends to do "go-lives" and other code launches. why can't the go-live be done during work hours?

to make matters worse there's a good chance you'll be working with 50% pajeets

as I said further up - you could invest 10 years into ANY other industry and make comparable salary. excluding places like SF or NYC of course.

Attached: eb681645-af87-41c8-8791-9af51856a5a8_1.4a4305f5a1eddd1d689cc93cca31c573.jpg (450x450, 23K)

yup, just crack a book wagie! stop trying to find life-work balance. work 10 hours then go home and study more! you just need to get ahead of your peers so you can make that measly 80k in 2019!

fuck off you fucking retard. anons could go start at Publix today and work their way up to management. 10 years at the same store, you'll be a manager making comparable salary - no friday night studying.

Hell no. I landed an industrial engineering job with just shy of a undergrad certificate just because of my networking. Outside of trades and medical fields, it's the only thing that's not going to lose demand in the next 20+ years.

Attached: 1546799179504.jpg (500x375, 64K)

Unironically this. I was meme'd into CS by promise of large amount of work and pay. I'm currently a waggie applying to jobs
Don't do it user

>you need the experience to get hired but no one will hire you without experience.
isn't that what internships are for

Ye, so if you don't get an internship while in college you can just throw your degree away.

Even if you do, it sometimes doesn't even help

going back in time 10 years, I would choose civil engineering, materials engineer, or environmental engineering

I know a civil engineer and this guy just travels around from country to country and goes on lavish ski trips. the company pays for his living expenses since they move him around.

if I wasn't going to do engineering, I would look into becoming a meme analyst or getting a low stress job like becoming store manager at Publix. i hear store managers at grocery stores are making 100k~

That attitude is the cause of where you are in life.

Attached: approaching_the_limit_brainlet.png (586x578, 37K)

im broke

Make your own experience.

well I hope you like the first and only company that extends you an internship, because you'll need to work there for 5 years or else you'll be virtually unemployable. and this isn't taking into account the deteriorating state of the tech industry. 10 years ago, 5 years experience was enough to make you a rich man. now 5 years experience is entry level. who knows what it will be like in 5-10 years when you actually have the 5+ years experience that you've invested so much time chasing.

>if you dont want to work 24/7 you have a bad attitude
I'll repeat this again since you're too fucking stupid to read - you can invest same amount of time into many other industries and make comparable salary without having to study when you get off work.

I work on complex large scale networks (hospitals mainly) and do a lot of pen testing for them as well. I was a network admin at a smallish company prior to that for 8 years. I had periods of time when things were slow at that job, and I spent all that time learning more about security and all the various intricacies of HW that we did not have deployed there, mostly out of curiosity because I thought at the time network security was a meme, then I became really interested in it for whatever reason. I then decided to just get a bunch of certs because I already knew most of it by then, and it was much easier as I could just study for whatever specifics the test required without having to stop and delve deeper to fully grasp it.
My major was Art.
Any degree that you are not interested in is a waste of time OP. My degree was a waste of time, but my deeper interest in computers saved my ass. I was initially a CS Major, but switched because I am a potato with math.

Ok then don't do it then. But just know that the rest of your life will always be confined by that salary which you want so bad, but are willing to work so little for. There's no such thing as a free lunch and that mindset has consequences. Whether they are good or bad is up to you. But I personally am not to fond of them.

I used my CS degree to land a good internship, which paid me more than any of my friends made during college($18/h, full time in 2014)

After I graduated college, I got a raise to $70k, promoted to software engineer, and given my own dev team to run, and was responsible for a whole product(this was a small company)

2 years after graduation(after 4 years total at that company) I landed a new gig as a client-facing engineer. I no longer have to actually write any code, most of my time is spent solutioning, working with client engineers, leadership/CTO's, and other management. Making about $95k 2 years out of college.

t;dr a computer science degree is literally a voucher to get into a good company. If you utilize your time during college to build real world skills(like by working at a real company, not by gaming for 4 years and living like a fucking NEET), it is IMPOSSIBLE to not find some kind of work. The people who cry about not finding jobs are gamer-manchildren who have no social skills and no coding skills.

Take it to the bank user.

Attached: 1545756065419.png (699x518, 558K)

Nice work fren.

And I should mention that salary is only one of the consideration you should be making.

Well fucking said.

my skillset is beyond my years experience and what I've found is that my knowledge is irrelevant. I'm called for 100-120k senior level roles and the HR/company just slaps a junior/mid level title on it and has me do the job for a 30% paycut

the only thing that matters is "years experience"

No, it only matters to the companies you're applying to.

there has been a lot of FUD thrown at CS, despite being one of the most demanded skills in the market
looks like the powers that be want more misery in the world!

Dis nigga is FOMO'ing you. You don't need school, you don't need debt. Don't fall for tricky jew shenanigans

thank you senpai

you mean the companies that pay your salary? yeah no shit you fucking idiot

>being this delusional

Attached: 1488697496754.jpg (218x232, 7K)

legend has it that an user was growing the wheat
he harvested this wheat with the help of his subjects
he ground the wheat into a fine flour, to be baked into bread
this bread, once baked, was the most excellent bread, so crunchy and delicious all the patrons wanted more.
this user stated "For my patrons, but only for a slightly higher price!"
of course, this was no ordinary bread. this was fucking art-worthy bread.
so what did user do?
he did what he was naturally inclined to do.
he took the bread to the bank.
and that's why they call it the BANKERY

You must have done something wrong because my friends and I make bank as programmers

Thanks user. It took a while to get to this point. If I could do it again, I would have gone for the certs sooner, as I think that made the difference getting my foot in the door. In hindsight, none of it was a meme or waste of time. It is amazing how shit will come full circle, even when you think you're wasting your time in the moment.

Its lost on the rest of the wagies in here.

Good for you man. And even learning for just the sake of learning is never a bad justification either. That too is a skill that needs practiced.

Niiiice.

so many shills in here replying to each other

i sell ""computer science"" classes to a bunch of losers

>describing their program
this will never work unless the person learns to practically speak a programming langugae, at which point typing is clearly superior. just think about it for a minute, if you can really break down your problem into unambiguous steps, you've already programmed it.

I don't have a degree. I just got an AWS certification for a hundred bucks and now I'm a developer that created backend stuff
Colleges are a scam

same

this

How much do you get paid ?

Sounds like you fucked up. Mid six figure jobs are easy to find for even average developers.

Not who you replied to, but I had a shit sub-3.0 GPA in CompSci and it took me around 3 months to find a job out of school. Only "job" experience before that was part-time helping a professor for a summer.

5 years later I'm at 125k/y in not-NYC/SF. It does require a little bit of luck and knowing the right people but it is frankly baffling how easy it is to get a good job in this field.

Attached: 1548186465049.jpg (914x545, 147K)

Too bad I'm too retarded and already burnt out studying other shit.

You guys are fucking idiots. I guarantee you the guys crying about it being a waste of time or a scam or some fucking losers that invested money in a online CS course and lost motivation and didn't continue cause they were fucking stupid lazy shits in every aspect of life.

You are not going to get a starting 100k+ CS job if it was that easy you fucking idiots. You are going to need

1. A good connection (optional)
2. DECENT projects and/or a nice github (highly recommended)
3. actually spend time studying your material and reading relevant books(cracking the code interview, intro to algorithms, etc.)

This shit is not handed to you on a silver platter. Graduating with my C.E. degree in May and have a good job lined up at a very well-known tech company after graduation

How many hours do cs guys work including time it takes out of work dedicated to studying?

I'm an engineering manager at a software company. I have a CS degree from an Ivy League school. I advise people who just want to work in the industry against spending $200k on a CS degree. Boot camps are far more cost effective. The difference in starting salary for a junior dev who came out of a boot camp and one who came out of a 4 year school was $10k, and after that your salary depends purely on your demonstrated ability.

Not saying what you learn in CS isn't useful in the industry, and you will learn a lot that you don't get at a boot camp, and certainly certain elite positions will be closed to you without a CS degree... But if you just want to code shit and be a YOLO programmer, it's way more cost-effective to self-teach and do a boot camp.

$120k/year. I live in a suburb in Washington State so the cost of living is very decent. I will never go live in a city because the cost of living skyrockets to an unreasonable amount

35 hours per week online/in the office. Effectively no time outside of work studying, generally speaking we can do that on-the-job as long as there aren't any major deadlines around the corner. This is highly dependent on the company though, I've worked at shitty places that never gave you free time for learning.

You will be expected to pick things up along the way no matter where you work though.

goodluck. field full of pajeets

I want to be a YOLO programmer tbqh

anyone who says this clearly has never coded a single line in their life

its the best back up plan college money can buy!!! if ur own biz doesnt work out then u can always get a normie job

And what the hardest question in your opinion that you've ever asked a candidate?

most CS degrees today have high emphasis on programming + modern technologies so you'll be learning to be a builder as opposed to a scientist/architect

If you want to learn deeper then do pure math and follow www.teachyourselfcs.com on your spare time

you guys could try to be a solutions engineer for a tech company, its a great paying good w/l balance gig

I don't do the stupid brain teaser shit. First I do a personality interview. If they're not freaks then I give them a (technical) reading list to take home to study up on the domain that we work in. When they're ready they come back and ask them questions about how the core technology in our stack works, but it's just conversational with no whiteboarding.

Final assessment is I tell them to take an afternoon and program absolutely anything that they think shows off what they're good at as a programmer. Only criteria is that they shouldn't spend more than an afternoon on it. I tell them we expect it to be buggy and minimal. They come back in, demo it, and we do a code review.

You are a god among men, user. If more places interviewed like you, the world would be a far better place.

just saying, where i live, ct, a cs degree isnt a waste. its like a 'get in free' card for an insurance cubicle job that pays 50-60k~ starting. and you can be retarded and still do it.

the trade off is its soul crushing and terrible.

but yeah probably if you want to be an actual programmer, in terms of, you know, actually making programs and not just updating 90 year old software made in flash and adding buttons and changing fonts, then yeah a cs degree is not just useless but harmful because it is actually really time consuming, and the time you spend doing elementary things will get in the way of you learning programming skills by actually programming.

the good parts to cs degrees are probably learning stuff about security, or learning formalities or getting live help with algorithms. but thats kind of like 3 years into the degree, and those 3 years you are taking java 101 and c 101 or whatever, making circles for homework, you could have learned a lot more learning yourself.

Damn this is amazing. Really close to how jobs work in real-life, and with no bullshit

as someone who studies machine learning we are still maybe 20-50 years away from that even if optimally

also what about someone who studies AI and ML? I do a little, but is it easy to get a job in this area if you're not a researcher?

2nd year we were dealing with algorithms and data structures along with machine code

So where do you find the good programming jobs? LinkedIn is literally
>posted 3 minutes ago, 13,987 applicants, Save, Apply Resume directly to garbage
Monster is a complete free for all. CareerBuilder is a graveyard.

Attached: 1543281093243.jpg (836x543, 139K)

>Option 1
Have already done an internship with said company
>Option 2
Know someone that already works at said company and can get you in
There are no other options

Damn, I bet you guys do some cool ass stuff with an interview process like that. Thanks for the response.

You have no idea how many of those applications are shit. I do about 3 interviews per week, which get sent to me through my company's recruiting department. And MOST of them are shit, and the rest are half decent but still not great.

If you're actually good, have social ability, and smart, you'll do fine.

lmao holy shit my mom is reading this. Lowkey good advice though, especially for boomers because they shat up their lives with worthless trinkets.

you guys in aerospace?

I have years of experience, but the job I'm at left me with a weirdshit tech stack setup. I'm trying to recover by moving to a company with a more sensible setup, but I can't get past the headhunters on even junior positions. Trying to learn modern stuff on my own, but fuck if the two hours of commute doesn't suck the life out of me at the end of the day. Was thinking about hiring a resume writing service.

It's true, honestly.

+1

Even though I'm just a shitty web developer

If you expect to live extravagantly on it, yes.

Same here my nigga

what makes one good, in ur opinion? what makes one bad?

>I tell them to take an afternoon and program absolutely anything that they think shows off what they're good at as a programmer.
what are some of the things they've come up? that's a very open ended question, I don't know what I'd do other than try to reimplement a project I was proud of that might be relevant (oif course I don't know your domina eihteR)

Most of my knowledge in programming and computer science has been self taught as the community college I'm attending right now doesn't have its own dedicated cs program. I would like to transfer to a decent school that isn't impossible to get into but still has some opportunities for internships and connections so that I'm able to get an entry level job when I graduate.

Yep. Agreed - doing very for currentyear I think.

CS is oversaturated and increasingly becoming outsourced and broken down for entry level coders in india africa etc. Every retard and their mama can code.

>I don't do the stupid brain teaser shit. First I do a personality interview. If they're not freaks then I give them a (technical) reading list to take home to study up on the domain that we work in. When they're ready they come back and ask them questions about how the core technology in our stack works, but it's just conversational with no whiteboarding.
>Final assessment is I tell them to take an afternoon and program absolutely anything that they think shows off what they're good at as a programmer. Only criteria is that they shouldn't spend more than an afternoon on it. I tell them we expect it to be buggy and minimal. They come back in, demo it, and we do a code review.
I want to apply for your company on the proviso I work directly under you.
Thank fucking Christ at least someone has not only the hard hardheadedness and technical acumen to get shit done, but also empathises in a non-onions way and allows people to demonstrate their best selves and their abilities.
Fuck, I actually feel pride reading that shit.
Have some tits my man.

Attached: 1532716690433.jpg (720x540, 70K)

The grass is always greener elsewhere, but I wish I majored in computer science.
The positive side is that CS can be learned anywhere with an internet connection, but without a curriculum, mentor, and corrected exercises, it's easy to have holes in my knowledge.
B-but I guess there's not many practical outcome from learning compilers, r-right?!

Yup, it's 2019. Automation is going to rock the fucking world.

>Every retard and their mama can code
so would you trust automated vehicles, robosurgeons and nanobots to a bunch of pajeets? didnt think so..

I dont, but company branding wont tell you whos programming what, theyll talk about their team when in reality its just a bunch of project managers and and a couple of lead devs with teams in india and africa doing all the easy work for them

What about network engineer roles? Its unsexy enough.

>Yup, it's 2019. Automation is going to rock the fucking world.
really wonder how it's going to affect people.
When no one 'needs' to work, how do the elite make money?

I just want to build cool things, don't care if it is web/desktop/mobile. Will I really be able to get a job with from 12 weeks of memecamp? Assuming it is web related, because that is what most bootcamps are teaching.

Background, I have been building PC's and fucking with websites and servers / OS troubleshooting + optimization for a while. I'm def a nerd but don't have like a github or much actual coding experience.

having a phd in it even more

That's why you aim for more than just being a codemonkey?...
If the position you're qualified for is easily replaceable, you gotta make yourself harder to replace...

You're awesome man!

What certification? And what else do you know?