Are these really safe?

Attached: ledger_nano_s_10-1024x768.jpg (1024x768, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

media.ccc.de/v/35c3-9563-wallet_fail
wallet.fail
wallet.fail/wallets/nanos/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Safe from everything but someone physically getting their hands on it. After that the closest you can get is someone hijacking the browser or wallet you are using and specifying a different address on your computer screen but you have to confirm the address on the ledger anyway to its on you if you miss it.

What if some exploit got discovered down the line where an insider in the company entered something into the production line where they could still your keys?

steal* dammit

Well the ledger nano is clised source so you are trusting the manufacturers to not put in a back door. They did offer bounties if anyone could hack their device and noone could. Trezor is open source so anyone would be able to see if there was a back door. There isn't one.

You literally do not understand enough about the product to know why that is a retarded question.

"Its safer than a paper wallet!"
>Please write down your recovery phrase

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yes, I locked in my bitcoins at $16,000 and I've been laughing ever since

Trezor is better?

Read this

>Well the ledger nano is clised source so you are trusting the manufacturers to not put in a back door.

Nano is probably just as safe as the trezor. The nano has support for way more coins and the new nano ledger x will allow you to hold something like 30 different coins with a single device.

no it’s open source now.

Like i said, smart people have been hired to try anf hack the nano and so far no one has done it.

That's news to me. Thanks for the correction.

What would you guys have against making a bitcoin core wallet, encrypting it and just making a tonne of copies of your walletdotdat file on various storage devices as well as many copies of your passphrase?

Yeah and its a retarded fucking question you goddamned mongoloid newfag. There is no way for them to have access to your coins unless they were somehow able to guess your randomized seed which HINT they can't unless they generated them in a way which was easy for them to guess which they also aren't.

You can use a ledger and use it to sign transactions on a non-internet connected computer before sending them on a different computer. There is no part of the entire transaction process where they can steal your coins.

You literally do not understand a goddamned thing and you are acting like a fucking boomer going "SEEE WHAT ABOUT THIS THIS VALIDATES MY FEARS" whenever someone tells you something that you think supports you.

And I repeat again. You are a fucking moron. You know what you want to do just fucking do it. Its retarded but its the only way you feel safe so go for it bucko. Don't come here and shitpost about MUHH SECURITY and then suggest something so fucking retarded.

the point is that the ledger is your offline computer, if you don't want to send coins from your wallet it's the same as a paper wallet though

I locked my 1.2 btc at 19,985$ right on time!

only possible on trezors stop trying to confuse newfags

>newfag

I have been here since 2013. So show some more respect you ledger nano holding npc newcomer.

Attached: 4675675675673453.jpg (1068x134, 25K)

And you haven't really refuted the possibility that a backdoor has been built in. Stay angry cunt.

>I’m scared of brain surgery how do I know the surgeons won’t murder me when I’m unconscious
>How about I just get a mirror and a saw and perform brain surgery on myself so I don’t have to worry about the surgeons killing me! That’s a great idea

An encrypted walletdotdat with many copies is not retarded.

And I've been here since 2007 faggot.

And yes I fucking did and its open source you fucking retarded moron. Holy fucking shit you are both stupid and arrogant about it while at the same time asking for help you clearly don't want. Fucking neck yourself you fucking retard.

It's not brain surgery though, I have been storing my coins this way for years. I understand a lot of newcomers don't even know what a walletdotdat is/have never made a full Bitcoin wallet due to having a shitty computer that can'et even store the blockchain.

You are a very angry person.

>2007
2017*

Why are you even here nigger? Why make a thread when you are just going to shit yourself and say you are just going to make a bunch of wallet files and encrypt them? You are just looking for support for your retardation. You aren't here for advice you are here for people to tell you that your plans aren't stupid.

They are and fuck off.

>you are just going to make a bunch of wallet files and encrypt them

No, I will have one wallet file, encrypt it and make a tonne of copies of that same file and passphrase.

>You are just looking for support for your retardation.

I am here to check if the nano really is a better option or not.

Your way is far less secure and more prone to issues arising. Desktop wallets can be spoofed and stolen from. Secure elements are a thing for a reason and learning 20 words is pretty easy. It is the equivalent of being worried about surgeons due to paranoia and deciding on operating on yourself.

By the way this is how you encrypt a walletdotdat file. Very simple actually.

Then you can either use the 'Backup wallet' feature in the wallet interface or go to Bitcoin 'Roaming' folder and copy&pase the walletdotdat file somewhere else.

Attached: 467567567.jpg (221x133, 13K)

I hope so.
Just bought one because Nerva got Ledger support now.

brb filtering the blockchain for addresses that received on those 2 dates

You can understand the fear of surgeons in the Bitcoin space though right?

Jesus christ everyone knows how to encrypt a wallet. Enjoy getting your shit ruined by a single keylogger because your OpSec is boomer-tier shit.

Nano can be hacked, but you have to physically tamper the device or the usb ports of the computer

All these claims that "it has happened" are bullshit, nano can be safely used even with a computer full of keyloggers or other trojan porgrams that would take screensnaps of the computer in real time. Still not possible to hack it.

You need to physically modify the ledger to hack it.

Bruh, you have never even downloaded a full Bitcoin wallet.

You can audit the code yourself. If you don’t trust it buy a Raspberry Pi or a new computer and load Linux on it. Keep it disconnected from the internet and only use it to sign transactions because that is essentially all a ledger and Trezor do. They keep the keys obscured from the outside and the only interaction is signing a transaction when given the prompt and you need to confirm on the device. The bottom line is though that there are thousands of people who have been looking for a way around it. They have yet to find anything. You aren’t smarter than they are. You are just paranoid but the solution is just getting another computer for the same effect.

Like I said enjoy your keylogger dipshit which will compromise every single copy of your wallet.

>You are just paranoid

Probably, I just fear that down the line I will wake up to an article saying 'exploit found in ledger nano, millions stolen' or something to a similar effect lol.

>ut the solution is just getting another computer for the same effect.

Am undecided as of now, might do this or get a nano.

Difference is no keys or phrases are ever shown on your computer screen, where a virus or hack could see it.

>keylogger

A worry for sure

You should really do some reading into how they function. The type of exploit you are talking about isn’t possible. You are essentially saying that you are worried you will wake up one day to read that a massive exploit was found in Bitcoin leading to millions being stolen. It’s safer than whatever you are currently doing. Take the time to do your research and understand them. It’s an irrational fear based on a lack of knowledge.

I will watch some videos on the nano for sure man.

Is this true?
This would have triggered a moonshot back in the days.

It is true.

Attached: JPEG_20190203_025334.jpg (864x1152, 152K)

If you store more than a couple corns on there you are retarded. It’s a thing to sell to normands to protect their 10 btc investment

It's not safe?

If you store it in a safe and backup the seed in a fire/natural disaster proof place. Then it will be secure enough for 99% of people.

Yes it is. If you want some ultra secure thing try the glacier protocol but it will cost you more money and it's really a pain in the ass. YOu will probabyl fuck up the set up while with a ledger or trezor it's the best trade off security/convenience out there.

closed source LEDGER? TREZOR FTW

No, it’s a waste of money and probably has backdoors for the CEO to exit scam your shitcoins into his wallet.

You’re better off putting your wallet.dat on any old USB drive and only using it on Tails.

Is the seed keys for the blockchain itself or is it not independant of the ledger company/software?

Am thinking if the device gets destroyed and the company goes down whether you could get your corn.

As said above I will be researching this further.

Can you get a walletdotdat/yourkeys from the ledger nano?

>No, it’s a waste of money and probably has backdoors for the CEO to exit scam your shitcoins into his wallet.

This is what I mean bros.

Yes sir the keys are safe just send them to [email protected] sir

lelelel

You know it's fake because he wrote bockchain instead of blockchain.
Kek

You're like one of those teachers who are very intelligent and know everything there is to know about the things they try to teach, but who's also an angry bitter asshole with little social skills and therefore should have never become a teacher

niceposting is so grating on a board that is for a community of asshole neets who know it all.

He isn't that clever though. This type of person rarely is.

He is an ego tripping mediocre intelligence angry cunt that is probably a manlet and/or ugly.

Nice trips, but you're still a fag.

Attached: TWNS4Bh.jpg (480x270, 94K)

My trips don't lie.

You're an honest fag... still a fag.

Attached: 25428066316_9ccb727ea1_b.jpg (1024x667, 203K)

Attached: 1519873252067.gif (300x252, 2.79M)

any idea what the Mycellium "critical vulnerability" was that they mentioned in the latest firmware update?

>[email protected]
DO NOT SEND YOUR SEEDS TO THIS EMAIL!!!! THIS IS A PAJEET SCAMMER!! THE REAL ADDRESS IS: [email protected]

Attached: 1520599717235.jpg (720x545, 59K)

If there was a back door it would have been used by now the price of coins is going DOWN overall not up any retard can tell you that they want to make as much money as possible, what are they going to backdoor you at 2 cents? wake the FUCK UP kiddo.

you can also memorize your seed and then burn the paper when you have it in your brain.

Not an adequate theory. Plenty of other factors with timing something like this. Also it might not be every ledger that is compromised, say if some guy managaed to compromise a few hundred or something. This might not have happened in the past, but perhaps on a future production line of ledgers.

>you can also memorize your seed and then burn the paper when you have it in your brain.

The brains memory is not reliable enough.

i wouldn't trust these unless i designed coded and built it myself from scratch.
encrypted paper wallets with multiple backups is the best way to keep your btc safe long term.

My thinking also.

media.ccc.de/v/35c3-9563-wallet_fail

>In this presentation we will take a look at how to break the most popular cryptocurrency hardware wallets. We will uncover architectural, physical, hardware, software and firmware vulnerabilities we found including issues that could allow a malicious attacker to gain access to the funds of the wallet. The attacks that we perform against the hardware wallets range from breaking the proprietary bootloader protection, to breaking the web interfaces used to interact with wallets, up to physical attacks including glitching to bypass the security implemented in the IC of the wallet. Our broad look into several wallets demonstrates systemic and recurring issues. We provide some insight into what needs to change to build more resilient hardware wallets.

>Hardware wallets are becoming increasingly popular and are used to store a significant percentage of the world’s cryptocurrency. Many traders, hedge funds, ICOs and blockchain projects store the entirety of their cryptocurrency on one or very few wallets. This means that users of hardware wallets store tens of millions of euros of cryptocurrency on small USB peripherals that costs only a few euros to manufacture. Moreover, many users that trade and speculate in cryptocurrency interact, update, and generate transactions using their hardware wallets on a daily basis.

>In this talk we look at the good, the bad and the ugly of hardware wallet security: We will walk through the different architectures of the wallets, look at the different attack vectors and talk about the challenges of building secure hardware before diving in deep finding vulnerabilities in the different wallets.

>The vulnerabilities we will present range from vulnerabilities that can be fixed in a firmware upgrade, to bugs that will require a new hardware revision, up to attacks on the microcontrollers themselves, requiring new silicon to be fixed.

>Some of the (most entertaining) vulnerabilities will be demonstrated live on stage.

>Classes of Vulnerabilities we will look at

>Firmware Vulnerabilities
>Firmware vulnerabilities are vulnerabilities affecting the software that runs on the hardware wallet. Since most wallets provide update mechanisms this class of bug can be patched in a future firmware release.

>Software Vulnerabilities
>Software vulnerabilities are vulnerabilities affecting the host software that runs on the PC or smartphone and communicates with the hardware wallet. Since most wallets provide update mechanisms this class of bug can be patched in a future release of the host software

>Hardware Vulnerabilities
>Hardware vulnerabilities are vulnerabilities affecting the device hardware of the hardware wallet. Hardware vulnerabilities are generally incorrectly set configurations of the hardware either during manufacturing or by the firmware. If the configuration is set by firmware these vulnerabilities can be patched in a future firmware release. Otherwise, they are unlikely to be fixed by the vendor.

>Physical Vulnerabilities
>Physical vulnerabilities are vulnerabilities affecting the hardware design of the hardware wallet. Once the device has been manufactured, hardware vulnerabilities cannot be mitigated and can only be fixed in a future hardware revision of the device. This class of vulnerabilities is unlikely to be fixed by the vendor.

>Architectural Vulnerabilities
>Architectural vulnerabilities are vulnerabilities affecting the overall architecture of the hardware wallet. These are inherent design flaws in the device and can only be fixed in a major hardware revision, i.e. a new version of the device. This class of vulnerabilities is unlikely to be fixed by the vendor.

wallet.fail

wallet.fail/wallets/nanos/

>An attacker with physical access to the device
Wow it's like someone can use my credit card if they have physical access to it, credit card hacked!

yeah that's (among other things) why cc-s are shit and should be gone long time ago.

they are safe from anyone getting their hands on it too. Ill give mine to a random person and not give a fuck because the funds are still safe. Its the recovery phrases that should be kept secrete.

Was the F00DBABE vunerability fixed with firmware updates or it's still here???

Attached: 493f6054d3ffdd9580ea71fba147270e.jpg (786x960, 107K)

'LMAOOOOOO

thats the thing that no one mentioned by them. the ledger nano s has no screws. its glued together and has other plastic clips that connect the both molded plastic pieces.

you have to very very professional to open it with a tool to no visualy damage the plastic and leave some scratches that the device indeed was opened. and then even to put it together in a way that it will hold properly.

i am not saying its not possible. you need to steal it from the person without him knowing. that you need atleast a soldering iron and proper precise tools and a real steady professional hand. and then plant it to the victim again without him knowing....

Then how about you educated us instead of acting like an infected scrotum?

You don't even have to keep that secret if you use a passphrase on top of it.

If someone steals my ledger and keywords, they still wouldn't be able to access my coins because I always use a 1-time passphrase that I enter and have memorized.

With a paper wallet you have to expose your private key to the computer you use your key with. With the ledger you don't so it is still safer.

Can confirm the difficulty to open one with no evidence whatsoever. Open the first one I got out of curiosity

this.

unless you have one with wireless, which you shouldn't.