So i tried learning to code

>be me the last 3 hours or so
>want to learn to code, makes a start
>read basics about bits and bytes
>"hmm, how does the CPU determine what to do?" "what is a bit on more fundamental levels?"
>Look up CPU architecture
>read about voltage levels
>"hmm what is electricity fundamentally?"
>research photons and primary charge carriers
>My brains starts doing all sorts of analogical gymnastics and i wind up thinking about how our brain/eyes works, if the universe is even real or how to create some exotic bio-technology that shapes reality itself arround us.
>meanwhile, i haven't learned shit and i still can't write even a single line of code.

Fucking hell lads, i've had this problem my entire life. I can't focus on one specific thing because, for some reason, my mind always wants to know deeper specific fundamentals while also trying to understand the whole, all at the same time. I'm so fucking tired of this.

How do you guys manage to focus on one thing? How are you able to quell your quriosity and stay on course? Should i visit a psychologist or what?

Attached: 1542173494386.jpg (251x201, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jhcn1_qsYmg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just keep going

you've spent too much time doing nothing and your brain hasn't connected any of your ideas together because you've been distracted

when you're done reassembling your brain you will probably be depressed because of the political situation

don't be a npc

Just don't be a fag, it's impossible to understand everything.

You must surrender.
You can’t get anywhere being the expert in everything.
You have to give in and accept that c++ works and it compiles and learn to do it right.
Stand on the backs of the giants bro.

Nobody in science knows all. Once you get over the ego wanting to be the best you will sharpen your blade on your niche.

No scientist knows all.

make a habit of asking yourself if the next arbitrary level of knowledge that you have come across is a necessary toolset for your specific goal.
if not, don't look into it.

yeah normally when I'm trying to learn python I google logic gates and how much L3 memory my processor has to get a better feel for the language

>being so illiterate that the only way he can philosophize is through science gymnastics
>hasn't even philosophize about science itself and how it's just mental models to understand shit we don't know jack about
>doesn't realize science just says the relationships about things but would never get to the meaning of the thing

any tips on reassembling the brain? I've had depersonalization for like 2 years. I'm slowly coming out of it and realizing that I know basically nothing about the world around me

>tried to learn to code
>anytime I want to learn something, I need to understand it at the very basic level
>can't wrap my head around the fact that electrical connections and ones&zeros manage to derive all this complex images and software
>get frustrated and quit

Attached: 1524485071915.jpg (482x427, 58K)

>le coding meme

god damn you people are retarded, you'll believe anything if it gets spammed enough

Attached: pepe_finger.jpg (436x436, 33K)

retard

>man im such a intellectual, i need to understand everything. My mind is so deep, i just cant handle it

No, you're just some retard that cant comprehend anything that isnt a ten minute youtube video or a meme.

Fuck off shitlord.

Nobody knows how C really works, it just does

shut up and get back to TurtleCoin

This is all good feedback OP. Being curious is good but you need to know when to stop digging and accept that a lot of work has been done to make things like C++ work the way they do. If you want to learn programming, then learn programming, not how computer chips are made and how code is interpreted etc.

console.log('keep trying op');

Attached: tenor.gif (220x220, 702K)

The only good way to learn coding is to start coding yourself.

Easiest way to focus is to have a project to work on, instead of trying to follow crappy tutorials. Tutorials and books are the worst way to learn, unless they're examples that relate to your project.

just pop some adderall and finish a udemy course from beginning to end. when you finished it you feel accomplishment that you know more or less good at something specific, after that you wont care about the fundementals anymore

I don't know that shit and I'm a programmer

books and tutorials for an entire language are bad, but courses and books for specific themes are good, like learning how to handle data with python for a data analyst job

I always assume books will leave out portions of a code, leave out a semi-colon, outdated, teach bad methods, and so forth. I would never be able to trust a book on PHP for example, simply because I'd assume it's full with bugs, holes, and security issues.

It will still help you land the job, 95% of coders are shit anyway

I want to believe. I'm a NEET because job descriptions scare me and worried of not being able to meet requirements, yet secretly I believe majority of everyday code and design is subpar and I could do a better job. Then I look at top rated on Dribbble, Behance, Pico-8 projects, and complex Javascript tricks/effects, and I weep in a corner.

Just go, if you fuck at job you get a warning, then you can just drop it or whatever, you won't get fired like in the movies, we are in a sjw market ffs, you probably won't even get a warning for a long time and just get money

Anyone with a half decent education in comp sci knows how C statements translate to assembly and in turn translate to machine code.

we are in a sjw market ffs, you probably won't even get a warning for a long time and just get money
Sign me up, hah. Nah, seriously, good point. I considered being fired/rejected as a dent in my reputation where I wouldn't find a job again easily and I'd get "blacklisted". Kept putting off job search in hopes I'll be better and more knowledgeable "next year". I need to put together a portfolio.

You will eventually figure out that your random jumps between topics to 'learn' about them is just cope. You get a feels/ego boost from learning new information, but that's it. Listen here: the world will not pay you to have cursory understanding of random topics. It does not help you. In fact, the more you behave this way, the worse your life will be. You have to find the motivation to be different within yourself, or you will end up a pathetic 30 year old boomer with no prospects. I am speaking from experience, you don't want to be in that situation.

freecodecamp. your welcome

>just keep going
This. Keep learning disparate bits of information. Eventually, you will connect the dots and everything will make sense.

>Fucking hell lads, i've had this problem my entire life. I can't focus on one specific thing because, for some reason, my mind always wants to know deeper specific fundamentals while also trying to understand the whole, all at the same time. I'm so fucking tired of this.

I never thought I'd see another me.

>he hasn’t created a portfolio of complex, meaningful projects within 3 hours
Never gonna make it OP. Don’t waste any more time. You’re better off flipping burgers so go practice

I'm allready depressed about it. I realise our civilization is dying and the world will turn into one giant brazillian shithole because of this globalist, technocratic zealotry.

I often wonder about all those mythological pre-flood writings refering to a time in which men grew to be 25.000 years old such in the Sumerian Kings List. Cultures from all across the world seemingly describe some sort of paleophysics that spawned the most unimaginable weaponry... destroying entire planets and controlling whole weather systems. Then came the "tower of babel" moment that not only caused the confusion of speech, but it also drastically lowered our longevity with each passing generation. These two things might have fractured our whole body of knowledge which led to the loss of such hyper-science. Maybe our science is just a way of catching up again to that point in the past.

You are entirely right. Brutal, but spot on. I am 34 years old and it feels like i have accumulated a shitload of knowledge that's worth exactly... zero. That's why i wanted to pick up a "hard" skill, but my mind keeps fucking with my will to do so.

I have a comfy, steady job... but it's all hot air. It's unfullfilling to say at least. I wasn't joking when asking if i should visit a psychologist.

Fuck, i think i'm just gonna make a doctors appointment and get some adderall.

Attached: 3254365474657.png (1215x635, 606K)

Attached: 20181211_104841.jpg (4032x3024, 3.77M)

Why would you want to learn to code? Coding is honestly mind-numbing work. It isn't fun or enjoyable unless you're an autist

The curse of the inquisitive mind...borderline OCD?
I've often wondered how many other people have this besides me. Glad to see there is a few.
I just love to learn and do research about literally anything
Unfortunately such behavior outside of a few positions result in actual paying jobs

Learn to stand on the shoulders of those before you. It's how everything is done. In terms of civilization, you wouldn't need to understand anything about agriculture to progress. Hope my shit and weak analogy was worth your time.

Senior Software Engineer here. I don't understand shit about how the computer compiles the code. I imagine I write magic spells into a window and hit the GO button to cast it.

You have great instincts and I think you are already on the right track. As a software engineer most of my org's failures can be traced back to people making assumptions about how things work and refusing to actively disconfirm their own beliefs. If you are driven to think critically about changes (in the context of programming), you'll be leaps ahead of everyone who just treats computing as a black box. The most valuable people I know are able to stop and think "wait, why did that suddenly start working?" or otherwise audit and sanity check their own investigative processes.

To answer your question about focus, I find it helpful to set clear boundaries about what levels of specificity are "in scope" and "out of scope" as soon as I start tackling a specific problem. It is always OK, and expected, to draw fuzzy lines and vague arrows when building models. You just have to pick how deep you want to go. Pick what level you want to work on and gray out anything beneath that. If you're an enterprise java developer, you should pretend to not know that the compiler could no-op the code you just wrote. If you build physical circuits, you can safely care only that a bit is +5V or -5V.

>That's why i wanted to pick up a "hard" skill, but my mind keeps fucking with my will to do so.
It's up to you to pick how deep/hard you want to go.

Good luck with the drugs. In my experience, they don't help. They just get you hyped and stimulate the same 'Look at me! I'm doing shit!!!' response that random learning does for you.
The only thing that has helped me is to simplify everything in my life so there's less shit buzzing around in my head. Dunno what your situation is like but I suspect you've got a lot of extraneous bullshit to deal with that puts you off balance all the time.

You forget where you are

Sounds like adhd to me. Very typical for adhd brains to start with one mundane task, then boom, you find yourself deep in the rabbit hole 2 houres later reading about some weird unrelated shit. Except it's not totally unrelated, which your 30 browser tabs will prove. You have a great mind, but you ned to find a way to control it. "How to adhd" is a nice youtube channel

You're probably just not interested in coding lol.

>MFW you just described me perfectly
Going to check out that channel
Any other tips or helpful info you can share?

Attached: 1547386273221.png (576x597, 60K)

Its simple. You google a list of topics you need to learn. Then you find the course work for free online or buy a textbook. Then go through each lesson in order or once you learn the basics whayever order you prefer.

Do you know how to pick a partner with good genetics? I have rh- blood but i don't want to birth another mule. How do i go about scanning my potential mates?

If he was an NPC he wouldn't have the problems he just described.

>Any other tips or helpful info you can share?
Just do some research on adhd. Realise and be honest to yourself about what your shortcomings are and find a way to work on them or around them. If you really have adhd you lack the ability to be motivated about a reward more than a few days in the future. You KNOW if you study for 2 hours now you'll get a better paying job in 3 years, but still you fail to get motivated. The reward is too far away for your brain. You only get motivated by instant gratification. Everyone has this to some degree, but with adhd it is much more pronounced and you cannot simply bite your teeth together. Even doing things you love and enjoy is hard to find motivation to do. I don't have much cope tips, as everything I try usually fail me after a few weeks. Medication works for me to some degree. Also check out Dr. Russell Barkely. He has some VERY interesting insight in adhd

How many years of training in coding will it take to be not necesarrily proficient but confident enough to competently perform under employment? From what I know as of know, C++ is the best entry language and allows for job oppurtunity so I plan to start there.

then study physics bro

Thanks for the advice lads. Appreciate it. Will keep it all in mind.

Yep, that sounds formilliar. I recently took a few IQ and personality tests and it turns out i'm a 122 INTJ-T. I'm a huge introvert indeed, so i never considered adhd because i associated that with excessive activity. But everything after 3:55 on this video is recognizable as heck.

youtube.com/watch?v=jhcn1_qsYmg

Can you be both introvert and have adhd?

Thanks for that link bro. Seriously.

Attached: 1545039036302.gif (227x136, 1.26M)

I should add that people with adhd usually excell in jobs where alot happens at the same time. Like military, paramedics, etc. If there is one thing adhd'ers are really good at, it is sifting through tons of information in a short time and stifting it together to get a good overall picture of the situation.

Don't overestimate OP. He's probably watched several animated youtube videos and now he assumes he knows some shit. This is what degenerative millennials do.

1-2 years of data structures, algorithms, full-stack fundamentals
1 year of learning OO and separation of concerns via immersion, internship or a big project

Then you can do anything with any language and learn as you go.

Don't worry about picking a language, (especially C++ where every company rolls it into their own rat's nest of frameworks; you'll be starting from scratch no matter how you try to prepare)

>i never considered adhd because i associated that with excessive activity
That's true for many, but for most that part goes away because we grow up and learn to supress it. The excessive activity is still there though, but mostly internally.

>Can you be both introvert and have adhd?
Yes, most definitly

Do CS101 on Udacity then after a while move to just doing algorithm puzzles.

decide on what you want to build in order to keep yourself focused. otherwise, yeah, all kinds of things will distract you in the name of learning. the best way to learn programming is by building shit and you cant know how every single thing works.

Neet here, getting up reeeeaal early tommorrow (9:30) to start a 2 week vegas road trip. Have fun wage cucks cya along the journey

... wrong thread whoops

I have no monies to be a neet. How can you afford your lifestyle?

kek this is my problem OP. it's called ADD.

kek

>wanted to learn to code
>can only think parallel, not serial
>don't like the way any language works
I got an arduino to change a RGB led's colors, that's it

appreciate the response, im in computer networking and always felt it carried a stigma in comparison to those in CS. IT is great and all but god forbid it becomes the rest of my life,

his parents

>if the universe is even real or how to create some exotic bio-technology that shapes reality itself arround us
>from cpu architecture

the moment I read bits and bytes i knew this was bullshit, knowing binary is not that important for coding. its just a UI for logic structures that computers interpret behind the scenes with capacitors and high and low voltage representing 0s and 1s. move on.

then learn about objects and functions. thats the right track. learning about the rest is just random distractions that have nothing to do with coding. your mind wants to know "deeper specific fundamentals" but you need to have context for those things so just learn what you actually want to rather than what youre getting distracted into.

wait til he learns about machine learning and starts realizing we are all self optimizing biological smart contracts living in a virtual reality that our brain creates interacting with others in a holographic tensegral simulationverse

>can only think parallel, not serial
I think you mean think serial, not parallel

Thank you for posting, sincerely.

The best way to understand the basics is to understand how the first things were built, in this case how the first computers were built. Sure you'll encounter talks of electricity and photons and so on, but at that point realize that a photon is not something we see, it's just a concept, something we imagine exists to make sense of what we do see. I'm sure some other civilization could come up with computers without the concept of photon but something else in its place. The fundamental mystery is why there are regularities in the universe, why we are able to predict the future at all, but at that point you can tell yourself that life couldn't have evolved if everything was pure chaos.

No problem biz bro. Good luck on your path to tame your mind or aligning your life to your mind!

Attached: 1542299662574.jpg (1365x2048, 152K)

Correct.

It is of the utmost importance in my Mind. That's the reason why i spawned this thread in the first place. While i was reading about voltage and capacitors, i could not help but think of how the brain receives and translates signals to produce an image. It's stunning to consider.

>ee major
>they force me to learn coding
>because of this, i now literally know how computer works from bottom to top
also fuck assembly

don't learn biological stuff if you want to learn cs, they are completely different. you can learn about ml and ai but get basic programming in first. watch stanford and harvard cs lectures, they aren't hard they just require high iq

it's universal function approximation. programming is manually crossing a semantic gap. it's completely a different thing. study recursion and nonlinear function approximation if you want to learn how that shit works, nothing to do with electricity.

Ok if that's more important to you, keep learning. But you made this thread - so is focusing is more important? You have to decide. Your time and energy is not infinite.

Why, you lose your job at buzzfeed?

This. Church-Turing thesis. Electronics are used because they're easy to put together, but really you can make a computer out of all sorts of shit. Redstone on Minecraft, water in pipes, steam powered babage engine. Just as an astronomer studies the stars, not telescopes, computer scientists and programmers study algorithms & information not the hardware itself so getting bogged down in particle physics isn't helpful. That said, understanding the hardware can help a bit when it comes to optimisation, but OP shouldn't make it the focus.

Your goal is too abstract - “learn to code”
You need specific goals or a project to work on while you learn new skills, keeps you focused and gives you structure/deadlines

Take a book. Go through it from start to finish while not delving into side shit. Assume the book is presenting all that is needed to you.
This is the best way.

lmao fucking checked

>trying to learn everything in computer science as the basics
What the fuck are you doing? Pick a language, download a ide and then write the hello world program.

same problem. basically, this is what works, desu... modafinilmart.com

print("dont give up user")

You're just a brainlet who can't piece information together meaningfully.

>wants to learn to code
>starts reading about bits and bytes and a bunch of hardware shit that has barely anything to do with code

holy fuck dude no wonder you aren't learning to code, you're reading about how to be a computer???

this guy had best advice thus far, was what I was going to say.

step 1: think of a relatively simple idea you want to build. maybe a simple app to automate some aspect of your daily life. something you could use at work, anything. It has to be something you would actually use or want to build though, no stupid tutorial crap.

step 2: understand the technical basics of what that idea would look like in reality. Is it a web app? Javascript. Is it a script that pulls data off websites? Python. Etc...

step 3: learn the basics of the language/framework that makes the most sense for the idea you want to build. figure out how you would put those basic building blocks into something that resembles the functionality of your app.

step 4: bounce between tutorials on youtube till you've stitched something really simple together, progressively filling in the blanks till you know what you're doing.

A month ago I didn't know shit about Javascript, Node.js, web sockets, nothing. Now I am 70% finished building an alpha prototype for a literal MMO, with all the server/client architecture built out and working game mechanics. It is totally possible if you have an actual thing you want to build.

Attached: 1546319210921.jpg (596x650, 93K)

console.youreABetaMale()

try python, op. if you can't get to loops and if statements in 3 hours you're hipeless.

pic of me exploring a world procedurally generated by an algorithm I coded, with a torch
"light source" I had to design and code to counter-act the night effect which I also coded to darken the visual game display. Again, a month ago I didn't know how to do any of this.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 12.53.54 AM.png (1518x1522, 1.04M)

This friend

>step 2: understand the technical basics of what that idea would look like in reality. Is it a web app? Javascript. Is it a script that pulls data off websites? Python. Etc...
That's nonsense. There's only 2 languages. JS and C++. Use JS for everything high level. Use C++ for everything low level that JS would be too slow.

All the other languages have been made obsolete.

coding is for people that are good at it, people who are mediocre will never land a job.

Interesting take. Even Python? I find Python very useful for data analysis/manipulation and automating simple tasks like web-scraping. Would never dream of trying to do that in JS, not sure about C++ though...

>I find Python very useful for data analysis/manipulation and automating simple tasks like web-scraping. Would never dream of trying to do that in JS

Why? JS is more popular and has way better tools/librairies for web scraping and automation. Data analysis tooling is not yet as good as python, but will get there in a few years. JS is evolving and getting more adoption 100x faster than any other language.

>wah i'm so unique and have such a unique way of interacting with the world, please reassure me of how special I am as I fail at this basic task

Why? What about Java? The highest paying jobs always involve Java devs.

The JS community is massive, way bigger than any other language, and literally creating implementations of every Python and other languages librairies in pure JS. Check out any popular Python lib, there's most likely already a JS copy.

And the other way around is not true.