Starting to think I got memed into programming as a career. I have been coding for 7 years...

Starting to think I got memed into programming as a career. I have been coding for 7 years, and I can't move the fuck up the ladder, my boss told me that I'm the best in my role so why would he take me out of it? Meanwhile all the people who I used to make more money than, are slowly moving up to higher pay than me for significantly less effort. (no overtime, no studying new languages, frameworks, multi-tasking a shit ton of talents)

Only programming losers have to dedicate their whole life to the field while everyone else gets to hang out with their friends, and enjoy life. The only reason I have time to type this message is because I'm having an existential crisis right now and I can't take it anymore. I really feel like people conned me into this field, I feel taken advantage of and the pay is not worth it because the amount of hours you spend unpaid, to be qualified as a "good" programmer, offsets any financial gain you make from coding.

Then you have the anonymous trolls who say "start a business". They don't say anything else beyond that or maybe tell you it's easy. Bunch of faggots who are trying to con people into the next big meme. I should've took a regular office job, where I show up to work.. stay quiet and do what I'm supposed to and leave. Stay away from programming everyone

Attached: aij.jpg (421x450, 26K)

How can you code for 7 years? What do you do? Don't you write a program and then it just functions from there on out? Really not sure how coding is a career.

>I should've took a regular office job, where I show up to work.. stay quiet and do what I'm supposed to and leave.
That's what programming is. What else are you going to do? Accounting? Lmao

You have an especially shitty programming job

You need one that puts you on new tech and requires you to teach yourself new shit. Also one that doesn’t surpass 45 hours a week total.

The good news is senior developers are in high demand, so you should be in s buyers market.

U should have been getting a new job every 2-3 years anyway but we’lol ignore that

What you're "supposed to do" in programming, is decided by people who don't even know how programming works. So their idea of what you're supposed to do, is completely impossible deadlines, unrealistic scopes, and a stress inducing environment.

This depends on the job, really. I would suggest getting another one. Kill two birds with one stone by getting a higher position.

can you explain why its hard to start your own business?

>teach yourself new shit

I been teaching myself new shit every day when I work. I am BURNT THE FUCK OUT. This is easy to do in your first years. But imagine that 30 years from now, you are still FORCED to learn new shit every fucking day with no god DAMN break. You do realize to be learning the new shit new companies ask for, requires you to devite off-hours to learn that shit right? They're not going to let you learn shit on the job, you will miss your deadlines if you do not clock an overnight in the office, and skip out on sleep for 2 days in a row. This is the ultimate fucking meme that people conned me into. I loved learning, but jesus christ I want a life. I want to go outside and have friends. TOO BAD I HAVE TO SPEND MY FUCKING FREE TIME READING A GOD DAMN FUCKING BOOK FOR THE REST OF MY GOD DAMN FUCKING LIFE BECAUSE OF THIS SHITTY ASS FIELD. I WANT A GOD DAMN FUCKING LIFE. EVEN IF YOU GET 40 HOURS A WEEK, THERE IS AN EXTRA 40 HOURS OUTSIDE OF THEM THAT HAS YOU STUDYING AND PLAYING CATCH UP ON IMPOSSIBLE GOD DAMN DEADLINES. FUCK YOU GOD DAMN LIARS SAYING IT's 40 HOURS AND IGNORING THE EXTRA HOURS YOU HAVE TO PUT IN FOR A RAISE/PROMOTION

Attached: mad.jpg (400x400, 47K)

Here's an alternative, stop trying and start doing the least possible to not get fired. This is what most people do, and it's how you achieve a great work-life balance.
In 2 years of doing that I never had to study outside of work.

this only works for women and pajeets, as in, people who are getting half their already low as fuck salary subsidized by the government and the people that are actually putting in the work. If I don't do my job and complete the tasks assigned to me, the company makes less money and I get fired because of it. If jakesh or rishandra don't complete their task of "fix bug #482 (low importance)" in 6 months, no one will give a shit. Welcome to current day. Crypto is the answer. It's why we programmingfags are here.

>my boss told me

Move to a different company.

"doing the least possible to not get fired' means you still complete the tasks assigned to you, user.
It just means you refuse to spend any time outside of work on your job.
Anyway, crypto is gambling. I really hope you have further plans than that.

If you are as good as you think then interview elsewhere and get a competitive offer. Then either your current place matches or you bounce. Also you sound like a dick at work which is probably why you have this problem.

you don't understand probably because you're not a developer or you're a pajeet/woman. when you're one of the few expected to be doing the work there's no difference between "doing the least possible to not get fired" and just doing your job since you're required to be carrying the rest of the unqualified workers on your back. the field's a fucking joke

>you sound like a dick at work

You really translate it to that? If I was a dick, they wouldn't have me as the final lifeline for the company. If I leave, the whole company gets fucked and won't recover. The 2 companies I left before got ruined when I left. The first one had to shut down their entire software side of the business and lay off the entire team because I was managing over a bunch of juniors. The other company went out of business because I was the only programmer.

>interview elsewhere and get a competitive offer
and you have reading comprehension issues. what part of
>the pay is not worth it because the amount of hours you spend
didn't you understand? the field's a joke because of how the work ethic is so greatly divided between gender and race

The amount of work a programmer has to do, does not justify the pay at all. Have some self respect and switch over to a manager position. Get paid more without having to dance for your masters.

The amount of responsibilities a programmer has is insane. He thinks the shit you do is just magic and does not respect you for your time. They try to save money by burning you out. "We want people who are passionate about programming" they say that to encourage you into staying after hours giving up your own social life just to help the company without being compensated for your time.

Before you know it, you're not just programming but doing THEIR job for them because they're also incompetent. I had a boss that didn't know how emails worked for christ sake. He makes a fat triple of what I make right now. I die a little inside everytime I show up to work with a fake smile.

Already told you, I worked 2 years in the industry. Never had to do anything outside of work. And I'm a white male. You probably just worked a shitty job.

>Have some self respect and switch over to a manager position. Get paid more without having to dance for your masters.
The middle managers I've met worked harder and longer hours than anyone I met in the entire company. They're also expected to be at all the boring company gatherings.

From now on do the absolute bare minimum, if they ask you why your performance has drastically decreased tell them you are overworked and can't handle it, either they keep you while you do the absolute minimum, or they give you a big raise, or they fire you in which case you get employment insurance for a while, win-win-win. Your job is not your life, your boss is not your master and you are not his slave, stop being like this.

You sound like you're angry and resentful to your coworkers. Most likely they sense that. Have you talked to your boss about your hours and pay?
There are lots of companies out there that have great work life balance, generous pay, and understanding/technical managers. It's your own fault if you choose to keep yourself in a situation you hate. What is the use in blaming others and painting yourself as a victim?

To be fair, I got lucky with my first job which is why I thought programming was cool. But every job since then has been a shit show because I'm given too many responsibilities. I just want to code and leave. But instead I have to participate in meetings and act like a lifeline to the companies.

I actually made this thread after my boss just gave me a warning that I'm not completing work as fast as I used to. I am facing burn out and my speed decreased. last week I didn't do anymore overtime because I'm having a crisis right now. I am considering on giving up on programming because I really want a social life. So when he sent me the email giving me a warning that I will be observed for the next 2 weeks to see if I can shape up my performance again. I made this rant thread to vent.

Tell him that, you are burnt out and can't do better than that, he needs you more than the other way around so stop being the slave.

So you work at the wrong company. Change jobs retard. And unironically start a business - I still wagecuck but I have enough shot on the side that I can walk away any time. Seriously, it's one of the best careers out there, stop being a fuckwit.

Don't have to say it like a cunt.

Sounds like you've only ever worked at one company as a programmer and a shitty company at that.

>g burn out and my speed decreased. last week I didn't do anymore overtime because I'm having a crisis right now. I am considering on giving up on programming because I really want a social life. So when he sent me the email giving me a warning that I will be observed for the next 2 weeks to see if I can shape up my performance again. I made this rant thread to vent.
nigga just start doing less and less, if they say you're not as fast as you used to be, say "I'm doing my best".

Then at some point you're working 1h a day and no one notices. Then you start a biz during your 7 hours a day doing nothing.

Dont quit, just start scamming.

It has been statistically proven in the programming field that the biggest pay raises come from switching companies every 2 years.
If your job market doesn't allow for this, and you have to keep your job, might I suggest becoming a Machiavellian?

damn, he got meme'd into a work that pays in the top 10% of jobs in the top 10% of the world. what a poor guy.

surely after 7 years of earning an average of at least 70k$ a year -
over half a million dollars, you couldn't figure out a way to make the money work for you or change occupation with all that money.

>Meanwhile all the people who I used to make more money than, are slowly moving up to higher pay than me for significantly less effort. (no overtime, no studying new languages, frameworks, multi-tasking a shit ton of talents)
what kinda of jobs ae they mvoing to?

Hi Mr Shelkelstein,

Apologies if you have recently seen a dip in my performance. I am facing burn out at the moment due to a lack of work-life balance, this is why my speed decreased. Last week I didn't do anymore overtime because I'm having a crisis right now - I work with a high productivity but have not seen a pay rise to match the amount of value I present this company. I am considering on giving up on programming due to the number of unpaid hours I currently work. I understand that it may be frustrating for you that my productivity has decreased, but I am a valuable asset here and unless something is done to accommodate me then I will be forced to look elsewhere.

Regards,

user

You have 7 years programming experience and your boss has told you you are too valuable to move. Use this to your advantage to get what you want. Otherwise, start making moves to leave and stop being a cuck.

yeah I’m in a similar boat. I quit 6 months ago and can’t find a job now despite my PhD in CS. it’s absolute hell. no other profession requires you to do homework. this is why all the big tech companies only have young kids working there. the old guys get burnt out, kill themselves, or do teaching. one of my old coworkers is teaching now at a community college and is enjoying life. seriously thinking about going that route

OP im with you
Just resigned from my soft job. Trying to learn new framework and languages.
> muh open software.

Install every kind of shit in my machine just to start the basic hello world.

Everythings done to make it running is obscure, w/o a shitbook i went totally lost the reason to do each step.

Coding is a joke, and it work only if you pay hundreds of k to have a working environment.
Don't try to do it alone, or you will lose your mind.

The best way to move up the ladder is to get into management roles.

It is quite easy to do so : the Project Management Institute has courses on the topic.

You pay a fee for the exam and once you got it you’ve got an internationnaly recognised piece of paper that tells anyone you’re a qualified manager.

Get your piece of paper and tell your boss you’d be qualified to manage the next project because you «understand it on more levels»

Holy shit op im in the exact same boat. I literally do most of the project managment work because our project manager has no development experience. All questions from clients get relayed to me because no on knows how to answer. Deadlines are non realistic, no appreciation from management, get in trouble coming in 5min late. Only option is find another job from what i can see