Finished my service in the military last month and will be going to college (enlisted out of highschool, im 22 now)...

Finished my service in the military last month and will be going to college (enlisted out of highschool, im 22 now). I was accepted into Florida State University and will be attending this Fall. I was planning on majoring in finance. Is it a worthwhile degree or should I major in something else? Appreciate your input, thanks.

Attached: 1549324281709.jpg (1109x1479, 318K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dwsimpson.com/salary
math.fsu.edu/~paris/actmath.math
developers.google.com/machine-learning/crash-course/
coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what's sad is that Pump didn't even fuck her. t. friend of Pump

>friend of Pump

you say that like its a good thing.

yeah that's pretty obvious from the look on her face and the state of his hair lmao

That's Riley Reid
She sucks cocks for free to strangers

She looks like a chipmunk, I dont get why people find her attractive

Thanks for the advice :)))

it's literally a worthless degree unless you want to work as a faggot at a bank

also the military better be covering 100% of your tuition otherwise you're literally better off buying some pajeet scamcoin lel

learning to code is free online

Is there a reason why school always starts in FALL?

definitely get a degree. post 9/11 allows you to be a 12 credit hour college student with no job and comfy. FSU isn't bad at all.

I think you will ditch finance. It is good for loan officer, real estate and not much else.

Pick a career that you like, and get the credentials for that. I did MIS and it served me well, no bullshit data structures/algorithm classes of CS, but still got a comfy 75k IT job right out of school.

If i could go back instead of wasting year 1 on mech eng and year 2 on finance, i would do double major MIS and entrepreneurship from the start. Entrepreneurship purely for fun and learning, MIS for the job.

They are paying for everything + I had zero expenses when serving. Have a comfy link stack and 10 btc

>t. faggot

I would love to eventually run my own business of some sort, wouldn't finance be somewhat beneficial? Also, I have heard mixed feelings in regards to an entrepreneurship degree. I usually hear practical experience is more important than the degree itself. I guess they mean it wouldn't be beneficial to pay for that degree but I am going to school for free so I am in a different situation.

Honestly the only degree that's worth your time in college is computer science (Or some IT degree) but that's because of the tech bubble driving up all the wages up in the US for programmers.

Finance is a good, boring degree. You'll get a decent job at a bank and make decent money - nothing exceptional. You're not breaking into Wall St out of Florida State University, so your only option is to be a credit analyst if you pursue that path.

Finance does not help out in entrepreneurship at all. A degree in entrepreneurship, however ironic, actually does. Most entrepreneurship programs are structured like MBA programs so you're getting a lot of value of them regardless. The networking with like-minded individuals and former alumni that started businesses goes a long way in getting you on the right path to start your own.

thoughts on a math degree majoring in stats? fren said it's the most versatile and high paying

I would fuck her to death

do CS/cryptography or some kind of engineering. If you choose CS, go for AI and blockchain, most of software eng is in a bubble. Finance, econ, business, psych, are all worthless because they're popular. CS is also popular and so will also soon be worth less except for the tiny majority who do AI/blockchain and are good at it (think Ivy-tier master's, startup founder, etc)
The finance you need for running a business has very little overlap with a finance degree, if you want you can take them as electives but self study is almost always more effective.

yes I almost forgot, data science is also good short-to-medium term. Be sure to have GOOD cs projects on a github and intern in a variety of top companies (lyft data science, Google, McKinsey, large company's data science team, influential role at startup [preferably later after having other internship experience so you can make a difference]) to show that ou have the actual domain knowledge.
Consider downgrading one to a minor and spending the time saved on self-learning CS (you should be ranked well on kaggle). Also consider doing research with profs and then going on to grad school at a top uni with the understanding that you are there primarily to network and secondarily to learn.

I did take CS courses online and honestly, I was bored to death. You could say finance is also boring but it just clicks with me. My father got his mba in finance from NYU and was in the industry before starting his own company. That being said, I think I would be able to get my foot in the door (at least an interview) with a moderately size company due to his old pals.

Economics/math, heavy on stats, is the most versatile degree - stay away from pure math like the plague though. Nothing screams "Autist" like a pure math major even if you get an emphasis on stats.

Actuary is a good career path if you're interested in math/finance/economics. The only downside is that you have to pass a LOT of exams that aren't particularly easy. The upside if the the profession is pretty straightforward (and open) in how much you get paid. A matrix of salaries is available at
dwsimpson.com/salary

math.fsu.edu/~paris/actmath.math
FSU has an actuarial science major, but most of these classes are things I've taken in my Econ/math major. I'd use this as a roadmap of t he classes to take, but be wary of actually majoring in actuarial science as it kind of pidgeonholes you into the career path.

That changes a lot, try to get an internship this summer if you can. Give programming another chance, this time taking a project-based approach. Also try to get a high-level understanding for what AI actually *is*:developers.google.com/machine-learning/crash-course/

this isn't necessary to do immediately, but ideally by the time you being your career in earnest you should be at least be able to call out a salesman who tries to bedazzle you by throwing out tech buzzwords and -just as important- be able to recognize a good product, even if it is highly technical.
There is a lot of room for technical management to succeed in the workforce of tomorrow.
Just remember: whichever degree you do, never get too mire in the specifics, the only useful takeaways will be the overarching paradigms and ways of thinking along with maybe 10% of the details. Take as many electives in psychology, proper business courses, and whatever you find fun as you can over taking more finance courses than necessary.
coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn
Dedicate 4-5 (the more the better, this is thousands of years of concentrated wisdom) hours a week to *actively* reading proper non-fiction books (look at the reading lists of top business leaders). This will teach you more than any of your courses.