Redpill me on majoring in econ

Im currently a sophmore majoring in philosophy. I decided to be a maniac and take all of the required courses for the major (30 credits) over the course of 3 semesters (or roughly one year). After this semester I will only need two more courses to complete my major, but I have a serious problem: I still need ~51 credits to graduate. This is has opened up the possibility of devoting myself entirely to second major that is more practical than philosophy over the next two years.

So here's my question: What's it like majoring in Econ? I know the job prospects are pretty good, especially if you got grad school for it ( I won't go for philosophy because American Philosophy is completely GAY and has abysmal job prospects). Is is feasible to take 3-4 econ courses in one semester like I did with philosophy (I was basically writing an 800-1000 word essay every single week on a different topic, it was hell but I got through it and made the deans list). I struggle slightly with mathematics, but I think if I apply myself I can be successful.

tl;dr: interested in majoring in econ. Want to know if it's feasible to take 3-4 econ courses a semester

PS: yes Im aware academic economics is usually not focused on heterodox schools of economics (marxian, austrian, MMT? etc.) but Im a really big fan of the social sciences, and econ is by the best.

Attached: 1531803524099.png (776x795, 937K)

Other urls found in this thread:

teachyourselfcs.com/
imgur.com/a/3oFTkRD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

>heterodox schools of economics
>marxian, austrian, MMT
these things are commonly taught in undergrad and grad business/economics classes.. IDK what kind of tree nursery you're studying at

Question user, why the fuck are you going to college for and what do you want to get out of it?

Attached: 1549253914416.jpg (900x319, 93K)

I assume knowledge, wealth and status like everyone who chooses this path...?

I've never taken an econ class, I was assuming econ was like philosophy, where the professors scoff at anything that isn't written by the sanctioned boring analytic philosophers. If you want to learn about Nietzsche, Marx, Hegel, or any of the other interesting thinkers of history you have to take a specialty class.

Knowledge mostly. Being ignorant is very painful for me.

Got a degree in econ. If you want to be analyst etc you need internship or masters. Otherwise it is good partnered with second field.

>Otherwise it is good partnered with second field.
such as?

>econ was like philosophy
NOPE.jpg
It's more like B.A. just a tad more theoretical. Most professors are rather NEET than passionate talkers. In the end you will just bury your head in Mankiw's or Varian's books...or an oven.

Dont

y

Major in CS

CS is a massive major that requires more credits than I have to spare. Econ is a much shorter major.

Do it. I majored in Econ and five years after graduation I'm making far more money than I deserve. But be sure to get an internship next summer at a prestigious company, and be sure to take extra coursework in econometrics so you can land a comfy finance job when you graduate.

Attached: 1513741117725.jpg (1024x857, 162K)

If you take 3-4 econ course a semester you will literally kill yourself, good luck.

I'm currently working on my grad. I also took a course in econometrics, but I'm a total CS noob. I always thought it's better to focus on understanding your subject (eco) than dissipating your energies and become a half-ass programmer. However, everyone keeps telling me stuff like "you gotta learn python etc etc". Is that true or is excel sufficient?

I would start with learning common functions in Excel and learning SQL. Yes, Python is also good to have, but if you're trying to go into finance then Excel and SQL are what you should learn first.

Attached: 1523796493814.jpg (390x382, 22K)

How about 2 courses?

For example, I think I can easily take intro to micro and macro econ in semester.

whatever you choose, do teachyourselfcs.com/ and have some stuff on github.

Some good Excel functions to know are VLOOKUP, SUMIF, COUNTIF, CONCATENATE, SUBSTR, TRIM, ROUND, and RANDBETWEEN, and then if you learn how to use pivot tables effectively then you've pretty much learned everything you need to know about Excel

Attached: 725_Ly9jb2ludGVsZWdyYXBoLmNvbS9zdG9yYWdlL3VwbG9hZHMvdmlldy8yNzQ3ZDY3NDBiMzc3MjQ3ODAzNjFmYzg1MGQ5MzJk (725x483, 61K)

As for SQL, just do all of the lessons and exercises on SQLzoo.net

Attached: MaduroCastro.jpg (224x219, 8K)

I mean if you do it right you can get a good job but I have double major in economics and philosophy and work a technical support job making 40k year and this after pay raises being there 2 years. I would have done something with computers and technology instead of Econ if I could go back in time. If you do it right such as 3.5 GPA or higher, internship, and goto a good school instead of the standard public university you can make good money. If you goto a public uni and do anything else and pull your 3.0 then honestly the degree isn't any better then a psychology or philosophy degree (this is what I did btw). Good luck but I would suggest you do something with computers or technology to guarantee yourself a good job.

>t. STEMnigger

unless you're going ivy league, it's a useless degree.

major in something useful, like engineering or medicine.

>major in medicine

Yeah, a successful Economics undergrad looks like this:
- Graduate in four years with GPA of 3.6 or higher
- Get an internship at a prestigious company during your 3rd summer (and also your 2nd summer if you can swing it)
- Do more & more-difficult coursework in Econometrics compared to what the base major requires, so you can say that you did
- Learn SQL, learn Excel, and learn at least the basics in a language for doing data analysis (R, Python, Stata, MATLAB, SAS, etc.)
- Get a part-time job as a research assistant
- Get a part-time job as a teaching assistant
- Climb up the ranks in an extra-curricular so you can talk about your "leadership experience" as president of the volunteering club or whatever
- Read "Case in Point" to prepare for interviews

If you do all of the above you should have no problem walking into a job at Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, etc.

Attached: 1-20-17-jones-stone-thumb-600xauto-175952.jpg (600x315, 27K)

And don't forget to take advantage of free classes, free resume reviews, free practice interviews, etc. at the college career center

What if I don't want to work for Goldman Sachs? They're nothing but a bunch of war profiteers who'd sell this country out for few extra million dollars

>I struggle slightly with mathematics, but I think if I apply myself I can be successful.
post-grad econ is 100% math

Then work for Capital One; see pic related

Attached: IMG_1311.jpg (1050x750, 325K)

imgur.com/a/3oFTkRD

Attached: DWJ9lRH.jpg (991x625, 90K)

Im gonna go work at the economics factory.

(For real though, what kind of gov't jobs are there?)

Undergrad in Econ is worthless. Master's is worthless too unless you graduate under 25 and provide free labor (intern) like a good little Goyim.

Stick with philosophy. The world needs another well-read terrorist.

You'd need a master's degree in like public policy or something before you'd be qualified for decent government research jobs

Econ has some math at undergrad level like differentiation and integration. You probably did a higher level of this in secondary school.

What do you want to do after? If it's banking related or finance in general go for econ or pure finance.

I did economics with finance. I've never used any of it but the line on my CV that says I got a 1:1 seems to impress interviewers but honestly they're much more interested in real experience.