Invest in real estate

Why shouldn't I pump 100% of my saving to byu as much land/house as possible and retire in 10 years in my early 40?

My city RE tax is negligible.

Attached: 1507104635328.jpg (710x400, 54K)

you are buying boomer bags at ATH if you are buying real estate right now

nobody young enough to be posting on this board should consider spending a dime on RE until it crashes hard at least once, preferably twice and so badly your boomer relatives act like its the end of the world (it is, for them)

real estate was the boomer equivalent of crypto bull run, they think it is infinite and sustainable, and that there will always be greater fools

never thought about it that way, thanks for the tip

people say this on this board all the time, but no one ever explains.

someone please explain how we'll recognize the crash when it occurs, and explain which markets will actually be affected, because as i understand it, most markets will not be.

the house market crash and so do other markets but it is so rare. Population keep increasing but the land does not. How long can we wait, why not just ride the wave and keep a look on the bubble busting. Any tips on identify the early crash signal?

Attached: 1508911659614.jpg (1280x720, 63K)

Look up Harry Dent, don't forget to thank me later

Attached: BigSpeak-Motivational-Speakers-Bureau-harry-dent.jpg (200x275, 46K)

Go ahead. I would start with one house on a loan (30 year ofc) and work your way up a bit. Get into the groove of things instead of hitting the ground running. Remember that your property should be able to collect at least 1% of the total property's value in rent each month; so ten years of rents would pay off the entire house. If you get a property manager, they'll charge either 10% of rents or $100 a month. Insurance will cost, generally speaking, $35 for every 100k the home is worth.

So let's say you buy a 90k house on a 30 year loan at 4.5% interest. You'll be paying $456 a month on the mortgage; however, you'll be able to charge $900 in rent a month. Factor in insurance and management fees and your before tax income is about $309 a month. The average property tax rate is about 1% a year, so you're going to be down about three month's worth of profit. Your total cash income is going to be $2781 a year, for free! Keep in mind that you're gaining equity on the home too. You might be tempted to look over this because it's not cash, but it's still useful. You can use that equity in order to secure more loans to acquire more property.

Real-estate is the best way to get rich. The easiest too, short of inheritance or the lottery. It's best to start as early as possible because it takes some time to get the ball rolling. If you're in your early 20's then you should definitely wagecuck for a few years to sustain this.

Rent prices didn't go down as much as housing prices. In some instances they went up. You're also forgetting that you constantly acquire property, in good or bad markets. If you pay more in a good market it's not a big deal because you'll be using that equity to expand. If you pay less in a down market then you'll have a better loan. The cycle doesn't matter since you'll be sitting on the houses for at least a decade.

Checked. Just offloaded my RE bags to some gen x'rs. Going to rent for 6 or 7 years. Then but some pennies on the dollar shit from boomers who can no longer afford their mortgage.

sounds good, thank you

>Why shouldn't I pump 100% of my saving to byu as much land/house as possible
Because you should never pump 100% of your savings into *anything*.

Bought my first rental in 2015. It was decently cheap, but in the bad part of town. Put a lot of money into refurbishment to compensate for decades of no investments. Rented it to a nice middle-aged lady. Got fucked real hard. She turned out to be a lifelong grifter and fraud. By the one year anniversary she was already behind on her payments. 1.5 years after moving in she stopped paying at all. But you can't imagine the exuses she came up with - how her money got stolen, then her mother was on her deathbed and she couldn't work, then she had directed some government fund to pay-out her yearly bonus to me which never arrived of course, etc. I'm a skeptical man, but boy was she good. She actually strung me along for about 3 months, before I pulled the plug and went to court. Then the guilt-tripping started, how I could evict her and why we couldn't work things out. Then the cursing and yelling phase came. Finally silence as the eviction date approached.

Freshly refurbished appartment was a wreck. She did everything short of tearing out the copper powerlines to resell them. After the dust had settled I was down 8k and that's after accounting for 4 (!) months of deposit.

You can't imagine the amount of hours I put into this goddamn property in the first two years and all for a massive net loss. I worked through almost every mistake in the book, but learned a ton (and lost my faith in humanity in the progress).

I bought with 100% equity, so I could stomach it. If I would have had to pay a mortage while all of this was going on - I'm not sure whether I could have done it.

tl;dr: Your first property will be a nightmare with a steep learning curve. Never put all your eggs into one basket, because shit happens. Don't pick the best tenant of all applicants - find an objectively great tenant, even if it takes months.

Postscript: Handpicked second tenant to be a saint. Bought my second property two months ago and already found an amazing tenant. Workload of second property doesn't even compare to initially starting out when everything was new. Having two properties also takes the pressure off, as cashflow from one can sustain both without bleeding money. Confidence is through the roof because I've seen some shit and worked through it all. Life is great.

Just want to dispell the myth that you can't do wrong with RE and that it's basically free money. It's not. Not even close. It's a business like every other, with ups and downs.

>Remember that your property should be able to collect at least 1% of the total property's value in rent each month
More like 0.5%

There's demand for housing because people need it, there is no greater fool principle in play.

are your born after 2006?

>Why shouldn't I pump 100% of my saving to byu as much land/house as possible and retire in 10 years in my early 40?
Na boomer, we aren't buying your bags!

Attached: ThatsBait.gif (500x207, 3.06M)

>
>you are buying boomer bags at ATH if you are buying real estate right now

Attached: u.png (3000x3000, 1021K)

He's right though. It's the age-old question of whether you can time the market. Some get lucky, but almost nobody will time the market based on pure skill and forethought.

The bubble pops, housing prices go down 30%. Looks like crash, so time to get in? Who knows! Prices might drop another 30% or they might double in the next two years. There is no objective marker for when prices bottom out and you might just end up buying slightly cheaper bags that will still continue dropping.

With securities the problem is easier to tackle with cost-averaging. Cost averaging real estate is a bit tricky due to the enormous unit cost.

And just as with the stock market, the illusion of being able to time the market might end up hurting you in the long run. You could buy now at 100. Or you could wait for the next crash, which might end up happening in 10 years when the same property is worth 150. Then it drops 30% to 105. You just bought at a higher nominal price and missed out on 10 years of rental income.

I'm not saying everyone should buy now and that we're years away from a crash. I'm just saying that timing the market is somewhat of an illusion and not necessarily the best financial decision. If you want to invest, find an opportunity *now*. "I'm waiting for the crash" is just an excuse. If you start now you'll have so much experience and net-worth once that crash actually rolls around that you will be able to capitalize on it much easier and maybe pick up 2 properties instead of one.

based and redpilled

Housing crash is a meme. Minimum wage at 15 means anyone could get a 250k mortgage

You need to keep an idea out for the right property. I guess saying 1% of your mortgage might be more accurate. I read in a book that ideally it's .7% to 1%, but if it's your first house I would try and find a unicorn,

Obviously it's location dependent. Yes the market will correct but it will correct less near and around cities. You'll never time the market perfect. Just run the numbers and if it works you can weather any correction that comes. I work in real estate( not an agent) and I'm actively looking for another investment property right now. I know it's not the market low but I also know I'll be profiting $1100 a month after all expenses. I'm not looking for a quick flip or selling in the short term, I'm looking for income.

This.

I will add something to the discussion :
The real question in Real Estate is how will your area compare to other areas, not if or when the whole market will crash.

If you buy in an area and one big employer closes, you are fucked. However if you buy into an area and some crisis make house prices drop nationwide, it's not a big deal, because every other investment will have crashed that way. Except gold, but gold isn't an investment, it's a store of value.

As in every market, still do some research on overvalued areas, undervalued areas, local dynamics, maybe even big public work projects. That's what makes up the bulk of the value of your RE.