35 year old starting over from scratch, need advice

Let's say you were literally starting your life over from age 35 with a savings of $0. Your goal is to, in 5-7 years, be able to secure a mortage worth about $125-150k (CAD). I know the rule of thumb is $500 monthly payment per 100k, so assuming a mortage of $750 per month, and another $1000 for living expenses, I need to be in a position to make this viable.

I'm at least a year, year and a half away from being capable of handling a full-time physically demanding job. Until that time, I currently work from home and have about $150 per month in disposeable income to play with.

The end goal is to have a set of part time hobbies that end up being lucrative enough to justify the mortage. Such as painting, streaming video games, recording voiceover work, selling keyboard compositions for film/video games. These are things I plan to, in my spare time over the next 5 years, exploring and seeing if there may be any longterm financial stability. I am a total homebody and would love to just have my own little home with some dogs and do the above hobbies for money. That's my dream, ok?

Here's a rough 5 year outlook in expected investable income:

year 1: $2000
year 2: $2000
year 3: $18000
year 4: $18000
year 5: $18000

What steps should I be looking at to take care of inside of the next 5 years to make landing a mortage more likely? I've been with my bank for like 17 years but have shit credit, so I'm looking for little things that can begin to rebuild my name for when it comes time to buy a house. (already have a promise from a friend who will sell me a small piece of his acreage, and I'll build a shipping container home on it, which can be done for super fucking cheap)

Thanks for any advice, I'll check back on this thread periodically for a few hours so if anyone who can help but needs more information, ask away, and I'll try to respond promptly!

(I'm open to put down up to a quarter of the mortage cost if it means paying the rest off in 10-15 years instead of 25.

Attached: 1254077397659.jpg (450x796, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>buying a house
>before another housing market ka boom boom
I understand that you put time into making this thread
but be prepared to get dabbed on by NEET crypto zoomers

Anyway how'd you get into such a situation buddy?

Bump.

I don’t fuckint know man but I’m sorry desu, my heart aches reading this thread. U dun fukd up and I don’t have any advice to give (crypto neet zoomed here)

I won't be buying a traditional house. I am going to buy new and used shipping containers from a place where I used to work at. I can buy the containers and have them delivered for just under 20k, then whatever the cost will be to frame them up, install all the things, including solar and whatnot. It'll likely end up costing BELOW 100k for everything, but the land itself is still a question mark. There's a CHANCE that my brother also buys land around the same timeframe, in which case we'd go in on that together.

I think the HOW is unimportant. Let's say that I lived a hell of an exciting life from 18-28 or so, and feel that I have already lived the best I'm ever going to. I've loved and lost, so if I end up alone in my little dream home I'm content with having a bunch of dogs.

btw if you haven't heard of people turning shipping containers into homes, google that shit. It's nuts how much cheaper it is to traditional homebuilding.

Cool, thanks for stopping by.

>Hell of exciting life
So, drugs?

All in x10 long on Bitmex when BTC goes back up.
Crypto Zoomer, out!

Attached: holo dab.png (128x128, 24K)

I don't know about that shipping container thing, sounds third-world even to me and I'm from Soviet Europe. Won't the heating/ac costs rape you?

Do you have any education or marketable skills?

Its more about recycling these things that get built then used once. They're better in warmer climates, but I'm a little more north, so I'll just have to have it insulated well. google seacan homes and you'll see pics of what people are doing with them. It doesn't have to look ugly on the outside.

I'm an excellent, but uncertified forklift driver. I honestly enjoy it. I have some retail and warehouse experience. Would prefer to never do retail ever again, though. I'd sooner shovel shit in the wind.

Improve credit over that period of time. If you want to borrow, not only do you need the net worth and proof of income for certain amounts, but you also need to prove you're a reliable borrower. Pay for big things with a debit card/checking account so that you think twice before buying shit thats too large for your current income. With any credit cards you have, buy small things and pay them off in a timely manner each month. If you keep on top of this it should boost your score to a good range well within your timeline.

I guess the advice I'm looking for is more leaning to the financial side. Things I can do at my bank to put my money to work, to enable the mortage in the future. My understanding of all that shit is zero.

Cool, thanks. Do you have any advice with respect to general investments that can be made at my bank? I know there's basically low-profit generating non-risky shit vs higher-profit generation risky shit, and a whole spectrum inbetween. Should I be dabbling in this, or is having a huge downpayment more of a better focus?

You mean like a savings account? Yeah those can be good to have if you don't feel like putting the effort into researching a portfolio of securities but not all retail banks are very good with this.

It sounds like you're describing a savings account. You want a service offered by a bank or financial company where you can take what you save, stick it in an account, and let it grow without you having to do anything but continuously dump money into it, right?

So I would look into Ally bank or Discover or anything similar that would have a high annual percentage yield. Looking at Ally's website they offer a 2.2% APY. Basically if you keep your money in there for a year, whatever you put in originally will grow by 2.2% without you doing anything. And then the next year if the APY is the same it will grow by 2.2% again and again and again while you continuously dump money into it. Does this help?

I suppose so, if you throw some basic terms at me to google I'd appreciate that. I'm tempted to run with higher risk shit for the short term, but who knows the fucking dollar may collapse before I get to build my house anyways...

>2015 housing market is about to collapse
>2016 housing market is about to collapse
>2017 housing market is about to collapse
>2018 housing market is about to collapse
>2019 housing market is about to collapse
>2020 housing market is about to collapse
>2021 housing market is about to collapse
>2022 housing market is about to collapse

Insert NPC meme

Stupid idea. Think: You have enough money to lend to one of two people. Person A has $50,000 in a savings account that is held up by a bank that is insured by the federal government. Person B has $50,000 worth of lottery tickets but boy howdy if he hits those lucky numbers he's gonna be RICH.

Would you, as a lender, think it would be smarter to lend to Person B than Person A? Banks give more money to people who are stable and secure because they want to get their money back. Go with the less sexy less risky option

Please dont fall for the shipping container meme.
Just have a 700sqft house built like a normal person. Youll be able to do room additions a lot easier and you never know, some day you may choose to sell and move to another location, over a woman or something and you'll lose your investment as nobody will by your meme container home from you.

Attached: tumblr_p74xl1J8mN1qzwmsso1_1280.jpg (1280x1920, 1.13M)

This is a fantastic idea.
Do this fast before rich people start doing it

Attached: 1542055456519.jpg (465x407, 38K)

Hey man, if you're in Canada then you have the ability to play online poker. Pick it up as a hobby if you enjoy vidya/strategy and if you want to put the work in you can easily make more than minimum wage. It will take time, discipline and study but it's completely achievable. Look into pot limit Omaha, it's nowhere close to solved and there is a shit ton of money to be made in the next decade if you get good.

Thanks for the perspective.
I said that now, but in reality I am a very cautious person. I'm just hoping to carve out a comfortable little exsistence on an acreage where I can grow some of my own food, partake in some hobbies that may or may not generate enough income to stay home full time.

>$125-150k (CAD)
Damn dude, don't stress so hard. Gimme your Paypal and I'll send you the $5 USD right now.

I've had this on my mind for three years now. I'm determined to go through with it. I already have the layout figured out, it'll only take four 20x8 containers, which I can get for about 4k a piece from a former boss. I will also build it in such a way that it can be transported, should I desire to do so in the future. Not worried about this at all, only the short term aqquisition.

Aim higher, boomer

Minimum wage where I live is currently $15 an hour.

I have played texas hold'em nearly weekly for the last 8 years, and I'm familiar with Omaha, but not the actual odds and shit. Could you please elaborate a little on what you mean by "its nowhere close to solved"? which online poker site would be best to capitalize on this, should I decide to?

it's good to be cautious. Also don't take this the wrong way but you're 35. You don't have the time to roll the dice and fuck up like some of the zoomers here making wild bets on altcoins and whatnot. They're going to shovel money into your arms if you can prove:

1. You are a reliable borrower (credit score)
2. You are financially secure (solid savings account)

>5 USD

And if you send me your PayPal I’ll cover you the £1 you spent on OP

Why? I already know what I want, and roughly what it'll cost me. None of my hobbies are expensive at all. I don't particularly care about travelling or other expensive things. What makes you think I need to aim higher than this to be reasonably happy?

Ok. Just be careful. I worry that youll encounter challenges that you didnt anticipate with those containers and it could push you further into poverty.
There are also a number of RVs for sale, new and used, at a broad price range to meet your needs.
This will also allow you to remain mobil. You can park it on any part of your land and take it places if necessary.
I believe this would be a better starter than the containers. Once paid off, then you can proceed with the container strategy as a hobby.
You may even be able to take what youve learned when installing the containers and market yourself as a designer for others in the area that might like the idea. Charge them for your service and enjoy the profits.

But do you think 5 good years coming up will be enough to get such a small mortage? If I can save up enough for like a 20-25% downpayment, is it better to go that route and intend to pay it off quicker? or just save that money, make a much smaller down payment and let them leech more interest off me for longer? Given that I'll be 40-42, I'd be much more interested in a 15 year mortage if doable, I think.

Forgot pic related.
17k-100k

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-22-09-47-27.png (1440x2560, 1.06M)

I was talking about your investable income in year one and two.
You can make shit happen faster.
Not saying you won't be happy with your goals. The opposite id the case.
Also, do you mind to tell which exciting live you lived already?

t. 26 year old software engineer who thinks about going full blown retard and enjoy life and fuck qts in Asia, since my first and last time sex was 3 years ago

Man, if you put the work in you can make way way more than 15 CAD/hour, having an understanding of texas will already accelerate the process, if you're not a total fish.

Basically, no limit hold 'em is somewhat drying up because the worst players aren't even that bad any more. There's still profit to be made but the golden days are long gone. There are so many resources now that any schmuck can put together an OK game plan and not lose as much as they would have 5 years ago.

In Omaha, everyone is a fish. Even good texas players make huge fundamental mistakes and this makes the games way more profitable. Pokerstars is a good place to start. Look for good content on YouTube (jnandez is great) to learn, look at getting some good software (poker tracker, hold em manager) and start at the smallest games. With half a brain and the right work ethic you can move up limits as much as you want.

You're half right. As mine is built, I plan to be there on-site for most of it to soak up every bit of practical knowledge I can. I have entertained the idea of buying 20x8's and making really tiny homes that can be put on vacation properties, and marketing it to the rich folks in my area.

I wouldn't invest in a fullsized RV though, driving it would be stressful. I would, however, love to get a big fucking van and make that liveable.

KMS.

Don't play poker...

Bank your money with EQ Bank in Canada it's like 3.3% currently.
Or buy GICs that expire the year you want to buy.

Get certified for forklift and snow plow.

Google mr. Money moustache.

Basically the only way you can escape the rat race at that age is by saving 50%-75% of your income and investing it. You need to go somewhere that you can make this happen, at all cost. Your temporary comfort might cost you 10 additional years of working, and its just not worth it. Use your youth and remaining vigor and fight for your future.

Then start with the van. Financing one will definitely build your credit and give you somewhere to live while building your dream container.

Attached: 1550718841724.png (1212x814, 867K)

the first year or two, that will be my investable income due to my current living situation. I work from home right now, and I really let myself go the last few years. My doctor recently gave me some guidelines and within 14-16 months I should be healthy enough to actually carry out a more physically demanding job full time.

"exciting" is subjective. I'm not going to get into it. I wouldn't go full retard if I were you, find a way to go half-retard. So that when you've had your fill of pussy, you can come back and not start from scratch or some such shit. Pussy comes and goes bud. I'm not gonna pretend I'm a chad, but I'm in the double digits. I'm SO looking forward to a quiet, peaceful life on a fucking acreage with no one to bother me except my dogs.

Cool, I'll look into this. Thanks dudeface!

Sounds like a broken heart the way you are writing.

Alright.
Yeah I guess it's easier to settle down and be happy when you know what's out there and when you had your part of it.
I hadn't. And this shit makes me totally go crazy

>no one to bother me
What happens when you fall ill? Who will look after you if you arent able to look after yourself?
Will they find you dead months after youve died?
Who will look after the doggos in the even you should suddenly die?

The dogs will eat a dead body, when they have no other chance to survive I guess

I already have a place to live until the dream home becomes a reality. My bro has me hooked up. I think I would buy a van once I'm working full time again, and gradually do some work on it over a couple of years, but I wouldn't want to depend on it for anything other than getting back and forth to work, groceries, family shit, etc.

Hey ill come weld for you for 25/hr

Lets just say I fucking wish I was 26 again.
If you are financially able to quit your job, sell whatever you have, and live like a relative king in a foreign country for a year or two, fucking do it man!

My brother and his wife and four kids live near me, I have a small network of good, trustworthy friends and a couple of relatives that live 90mins away. When I fall ill, I'll try to sell my home and move into a retirement community. Hopefully by then there'll be a bigger emphasis on LAN Gaming at those places.

Thanks for the offer bud, but one of my friends is a welder and has already claimed that stake!

You could say that. I haven't really shut the door to future endeavours, but I haven't been actively looking either, for the past few years. Once I'm in better shape again I'll get back in the game. Broken hearts do heal.

>retirement community
Breh, falling ill can happen long before your retirement years.
Please proceed with caution.

I know, but I live in Canada. I'm not as worried as your average American would be. If they ever rollout some form of UBI within 10 years I'll have it fucking made. Of course, I'd never bank on that happening. I think it's more likely that one of a hundred apocalypses will happen before that. And since I have no beliefs in any kind of afterlife, I could muster up the courage to put a gun up to my temple if shit ever went THAT fucking south.

The biggest problem people tend to have around your age is not the lack of time but rather the ingratiation of disadvantages habits.
You still have at least a few decades to get your life in order. However, you can't do any of that if you lack the discipline to do so.
You want my advice? Forget about the house. Go to college. Get a good major. I recommend mechanical/electrical engineering, Cs or Medicine. Then you have to tough it out until you graduate.
However, you must graduate with good grades, internships and recommendations.
Then you can get a good job in your field and advance.
It will be extremely demanding though.

Listen to this guy, but generalize what he said. Everything that pays well, whether jobs, investments or businesses conforms to the concept of "the dip". Engineering (except for civil)/comp sci/medicine/pharmacy are professions which are initially studied by a lot of people, but only a fraction (1/3) make it through till the end. Furthermore there are licensing requirements, growing the dip between established professionals and new contenders that want to affect the supply and demand equation. Early bitcoin was like that too - being able to install a miner and turn it on/ finding where to buy/sell it, etc...
Look for opportunities where the dip is present and follow them the entire way. Now that I typed it out I need to take my own advice too because Ive been slacking

I've been kinda aimless in that regard forever. I've wanted to do voiceacting and composing, but neither of those are safe career choices by any stretch. I refuse to just get a degree in something I have no fucking interest in. Having said that, I'm picking up what you're putting down. Maybe I'll change my mind even, but as of right now there's nothing that interests me enough to devote the time and money to furthering my education.

ah yes famed canadian healthcare where health doesnt include dental and if you need something besides opioids expect to wait decades for surgery

Better than being a broken leg + ambulance ride away from utter financial ruin, isn't it?

Dental, physio and vision is not covered by provincial health insurance, neither are drugs unless you're a poorfag. Still better than getting an 80k bill for some stiches and bandages and not being able to visit a doctor cause you can't afford the copay (reality for many mutts)

are you asking how to invest the money or how to build credit?

kinda both, I guess, in a short-term fashion.

Stop believing the cnn stories faggot.

building credit is simple enough. everything you need to know you can google and it's mostly just using a credit card and paying all of your bills on time.
investing is more complicated and there's a lot of misinformation online. I can't even say if rushing into a mortgage is a good idea. if you're set on it look into filling up your RRSP first, think there's a mechanism specifically for buying homes. for investing in general the boglehead wiki has most of the current best practices. might be a little dated with the new financial products available.
bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

It's a ticking bomb, faggot. It will collapse sooner or later.

Thanks for that link, I'll give it a read.

I just figure if I'm gonna be able to buy a house at all, it'll have to be a cheap mortage since I'm starting so late.

You might as well say nothing. Market being cyclical is common knowledge, are you gonna avoid buying anything because it might dip at some point some time in the future? It still doesn't change the fact that over time both the stock market and real estate market have trended upward.

>Your goal is to, in 5-7 years, be able to secure a mortage worth about $125-150k (CAD)
Step #1 find better goals than being housepoor