What was this?

And why did user indeed delete his thread after a couple of min?

Someone care to explain what Urbit is and why people pay $3500++ for a digital homestead in a network no one even knows?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 20.54.09.png (57x52, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

popehat.com/2013/12/06/nock-hoon-etc-for-non-vulcans-why-urbit-matters/
opensea.io/assets/azimuthpoints?toggle[on_sale]=true
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

where do you see this price? where tf is it even trading?

This article should fill you in:

popehat.com/2013/12/06/nock-hoon-etc-for-non-vulcans-why-urbit-matters/

Be careful, People are scamming you. Who would even pay 40eth for this shit

OP of that thread here. If you're just hearing about Urbit now you're welcome for the tip and I ask you to keep it to yourself. I recommend reading into it extensively before buying any address space. I have been following this project daily for the last 7 months which isnt even a very long time considering it's been in the works since 2002 and has been discussed consistently on Hacker News since around 2013 or so.

opensea.io/assets/azimuthpoints?toggle[on_sale]=true

So, this needs to still be FUDded you say? Interesdating.

Thanks. I have no idea why I missed it when it was on HN, since I read very frequently there. I cannot yet wrap my head around this or why stars go for hundreds of $$.

Stars can spawn 65,536 planets, which are the addresses intended for end users. They also serve as infrastructure for the routing hierarchy and thus are expected to charge subscription fees to planets.

Come to think about it, and that's why the name rang so familiar, a former acquaintance (mntmn) is one of the urbit founders. I just never understood the thing and stopped caring once I read about BTC.

Little did I know they would migrate to blockchain later.

Its a traditional ponzi with multi level marketing and tiers of participation. Planets are the lowest tier of participation in the ponzi, and each one of them pushes whatever to their star each star to their galaxy.

Basically they say they are building a decentralized internet and are funding it by selling domains and subdomains before anybody is using it. Really just one massive whale game where they dump endlessly on the idiots buying in.

It's not mysterious or unique, except for the buzzwords they use.

I guess it's more like a decentralized network of virtual machines all running their own instance of an operating system. Cool concept, but the ponzi structure is unfortunate and will limit participation to the stupid or cruel.

It's definitely kind of a pyramid scheme, except that the pyramid stops at the end users who are actually paying for your service similar to how they pay their ISP. You're paying the galaxies on top as well. Obviously it's all speculative right now but 65k planets at $20 per gives each star a value of $1.3 Million.

Where are you guys chatting about this?

Is there a Telegram, Forum or Subreddit for trading 'stars'? Where do we go

But obviously for that, it would need real-world acceptance. I don't quite see the killer use case for it.

So how do I profit off of this? Do I need to run a node and figure out a way to buy a planet/star/galaxy in hopes price goes up in the future and I can resell it?

The pyramid is already bought out, and the dump on lower tiers is beginning. More than likely the upper tiers of the scheme were never fairly distributed and belong to insiders, and all of this is one massive money making scheme.

For a planet to make money for the holder, it would have to be used or resold. All the planet's with "good" names were already bought up and are being auctioned off at this time. It's a pyramid scheme.

Seems like this, yeah.

They've been working on this pyramid scheme since 2002? wew

If it keeps making them money, why not? There are several more traditional MLM pyramid schemes out there that have been going for decades.

They even integrated blockchain to stay trendy when it became a big meme.

Fake real estate MLM / in development project MLM has been out there since the 60s. It should surprise absolutely nobody that it's been taken into the realm of selling imaginary digital real estate.

The rabbit hole on this one is remarkably deep if you care to start digging. Check it out but be wary of getting memed on. There is some powerful word salad to be found.

You know moldbug?

This is incorrect, most planets have not even spawned yet. In fact all of a star's planets won't unlock for another 6 years. This is also a 5-10 year hold minimum. That's how long it's going to take for this network to be normie friendly. It's going to more more or less usable for average 4channer in around 2 years. Right now Urbit is only useful to the people who are building Urbit.

Planets are not intended to have any resale value after they have been activated. Your planet is your digital identity and your digital life and it is valuable only to you. Active stars and galaxies will lose a significant amount of reputation if they change ownership too frequently.

That's not the full nickname.

I guess so but it seems fairly uncommon to have that much effort spent into an elaborate MLM scheme. Their github is pretty stacked, mind you I haven't gone over their code.

I see, so at best stars and galaxies could appreciate in value but these assets would lose value as they get sold / bought... Seems like the real value would come from using urbit rather than trying to sell these digital assets (if urbit ever does something actually useful where owning a star/galaxy would be needed)

It's been a "5 year hold" for 10 years. That's how the scam works. Scope changes, features bloat, deadlines get pushed back, "oh but we need more funding, so let's release new buy in options".

If it walks like a duck...etc. etc.

No reason to set your project up like a ponzi unless it actually is a ponzi.

Like I said the rabbit hole is deep on this one. I would call it "The Star Citizen of digital real estate scams", except its been around longer than star citizen.

There have been several variations of digital real estate schemes over the years. It's Really interesting stuff and there is a documentary about a huge but now defunct out there lemme see if I can recall the name.

A complicated and ambitious undertaking is different than a Ponzi scheme, user.

Here's a big one from back in the day.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropia_Universe

Now you may argue that entropia provided a game experience for many, but the ultimate purpose was creating digital assets and property then leasing them to power users who them sublet them to average users in order to make money. Yes there was kind of a game there, but it was the interface by which you rope a greater fool dreaming of a "digital life" into becoming a sort of serf on your property.

Urbit has a similar value proposition (this part of the digital world we made is yours and you can monetize it If you are clever). Except instead of a video game interface you have a sort of operating system. It's extreme autism and I don't see how they are going to make it accessible.

It can be a complicated and ambitious ponzi. Nobody starts a multi level marketing scheme by mistake.

No one is arguing that this isn't the most autistic creation in modern history, the thing is that Yarvin is /ourguy/ and I am happy holding this for the meme value. I totally do want to be a feudal lord over the normies one day.

As far as accessibility, check out Urbit.Live. they are selling planets and will also offer you full tech support in getting your Urbit up and running.

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropia_Universe

Thanks for sharing, interesting

I really dont think this warrants immediately dismissal as a scam. Hop on Twitter and take a look at who is following Urbit. A lot of very big names are watching this, including Tim Berners-Lee. Urbit is going to BTFO his little API-gateway project that Urbit already has as a feature.

> Can somebody explain to me how many stars there will be in the NEXT 5 YEARS?

I am wondering because I'd like to value the network. Planets are worth piss they're free to make.

How many stars are there currently and in next 5 years?

Some stars with cool names are going for like $1,000. So we need to value network

Stars are going for way more than that on OpenSea. Who the hell is still selling them for $1k? Planets are not free either. I have 3 stars so I can make 3072 planets this year but only my friends are getting any for free. Check out the primer on Urbit.org where they discussion distribution.

This could be "the next big thing"?

Yes. The only reason I even started making threads about this was because I finally filled my bags recently. (I'm not the OP here but I made the last thread about this that I deleted after a few minutes). Urbit assets have only been transferable on Ethereum for a month now. You're going to start seeing a lot more threads about this in the next year or two.

There's another huge moon mission I'm going to drop on you guys later this year as well.

See? Typical mlm garbage. At least it's high effort on the side of the devs. The same cannot be said for their minions.

normies aren't even using bitcoin, why would they buy this autistic shit? you are getting scammed, fyi

The entire point is that addresses are limited so you can't spam the network. If you live in SF please go check out their in-person AMA with Galen on March 1st. These guys host meetups all the time and they're all really friendly. They are also probably not even hosting another star sale at this point after the ICO shitshow of 2017.

>Urbit

LMAO Implying Chads and Staceys give one shit if their accounts which they use EXCLUSIVELY to shitpost their mundane normie lives on are owned by a megacorp. Cambridge Analytica scandal proved this, no one cares - just autists.

/thread

Normies can easily learn how to use metamask, and they probably will in time. This is not ready for normies yet but yes they are banking on mainstream crypto adoption.

That's not even all that this project is about. You take one look at the primer and assume you know what this is.

Fuck you guys I'm done trying to help you

Thanks for posting all this. I am trying to learn about this project before it gets more popular. Ive been excited tho for some time now to see biz finally focus on it in they way they have on link. I wonder if urbit can withstand Jow Forums autistic gaze like the last two shockproof phenomena (trump and link). And in a way Curtis Y is sort of a weird mixture of the two, you know? Right wing politics and revolutionary tech.

No problem, fren. I want all of us to make it one day and this is one of my top 4 picks. I'm also holding quite a bit of FOAM and HOT (still not sure if Holo is vaporware but normies and boomers will pump it to Mars if we ever have another mega-bullrun).

BAMPU

Attached: 1550703921422.jpg (500x667, 25K)

Urbit is nothing short of an Ark to survive digital apocalypse in.

Based, TBL's little pocket project has nothing on this.

user, are you the one posting awareness of this project on Jow Forums? Your little hint helped me acquire a star. Thank you so much for this.

Do you have a galaxy? How do you plan to use your Digital Land?

Attached: IMG_20190219_134057_803.jpg (800x539, 81K)

Sucker born every minute. This guy got memed and swallowed the word salad.

post screenshot of your blockfolio or eat your mothers dick, thanks

I have made three posts about Urbit (and quickly deleted after 15 or so comments) since acquiring a handful of stars earlier this month. I actually got a really good deal on them and wish I picked up more to flip now that people are FOMOing into it like no tomorrow. I don't have a galaxy and they are likely extremely expensive- you can probably contact Tlon directly if you're an accredited investor and willing to drop a cool million or so on one. Peter Thiel and Tim Draper probably both have galaxies.

I owe learning about Urbit to a fellow user on here who gave me the tip last July, so I am just paying it forward.

I hope you didn't pay too much for your star though user. Joshua has a monopoly on the OpenSea market because no one else is selling stars on it yet. Prices will hopefully get more reasonable as more people start using it.