/smg/ - Stock Market General

warren buffet literally committing suicide this Monday edition

>I'm new to the stock market, what stocks should I buy?
Before you buy anything, make a brokerage account and read investopedia articles and/or the books in the OP list. If you don't have a broker, you can't buy stocks and if you blindly buy things without understanding how the stock market works or doing any research on the individual stocks you're buying, you will lose money and it will be entirely your fault.

List of popular brokers:
pastebin.com/mrSchZPg

List of basic stock market terminology for newfags:
pastebin.com/VtnpN5iJ

Real-time market news:
thefly.com/index.php

Educational sites:
investopedia.com/
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain

Free in depth technical analysis charts:
tradingview.com

Premarket Data:
pastebin.com/y9PRQLR3

Earnings Report Calendars:
calendar.google.com/calendar/[email protected]
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html
earningswhispers.com/calendar

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

Boomer Investing 101
bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

Suggested books:
pastebin.com/jgA5zTuC

Previous /SMG/:

Attached: Yelllowsmg.png (257x348, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docdro.id/n9HIDND
youtube.com/watch?v=ADoCnZrVVdY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

BUY SPKE

Asking in new thread.

$REFR

Attached: 81b39461de781b9dcd303294c87b4bff--weed-memes-i-dont-always.jpg (236x297, 18K)

It already bleed ~$4 Friday if I remember correctly. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go lower as people doubt Buffets picks(KHC, GE, WFC) more.

pls buy plug dont buy refr pls

*phone posts pajeet*

pls do the needful buy plug

SQQQ

Of all banks, why would he be so dedicated to WFC
C has growth potential and a great PEG ratio
JPM is based all around
BAC is a moonshot
But WFC has nothing going for it and is run by criminals

Fuck off PLUG shill

Attached: 1516523663464.png (1723x1074, 1.33M)

The Friday drop was entirely because of KHC (same deal with KO recently) so I'm excited to see what effect Berkshire's bad ER from today will have.

I don't really know really. The amount of information available today has to level the playing field somewhat. Maybe he just hasn't change his ways? He has made a few questionable calls. Most of his failures seem to be management that is corrupt and it :"blindsides" him/investors when it is revealed.

How bad was the ER? I could see it getting JUST

SPY

Attached: xccv.png (450x605, 552K)

Warren has lost his touch long time ago he's been riding his legend fame with brk most part, it was during times before digital exchange warren shined. Those times have nothing to do with the markets we have now. Dynamics change compeltely every 10 years or even less, nobody should use hold-type portfolio track records from much over 5 years back for any comfirmations either so quick dynamic changes now

Also it is getting funny especially munger it seems the money now owns the money not the other way around. Some event he started talking with digging holes his backyard so he can bury gold bars for safety from government or something crazy like that =D

Attached: _downloadfiles_wallpapers_1080_1920_chloe_grace_moretz_3_17062.jpg (1080x1920, 711K)

SPX....L

Attached: 5b31b7066ab8c38e8b06aeece8cec27b.png (1000x857, 648K)

$25 billion loss.

As far as banks go, I like Discover Financial Services.

>entirely because of KHC
Is this the time to buy into KHC?

Thinking about buying att and ibm for the dividends

Attached: ibm.png (580x307, 19K)

me am uhhhh having trouble with this one
Heinz and Kraft stock price hard for find

if anyone knows where to find old KRFT and HNZ charts pls tell

Attached: 75a.jpg (680x962, 83K)

T has been running pretty hot. I kinda wish we could test December lows again so I could scoop up a bunch of shit. It would JUST my IRA though.

No
Srsly

Attached: 1550706460131.jpg (191x264, 6K)

no, but other food memes that shouldnt be affected by the scandal, maybe
KHC was only useful for the div and they slashed it. literally no point in holding that boomer shit if they arent paying you

>IBM
maybe
>T
Do you mean VZ?

Attached: 1550799221446.jpg (640x616, 39K)

With the drop in price it's literally paying almost the exact same dividend it was Wed.

If you're buying for the first time that shouldn't be a factor.

Here is a small report on 5G if anyone wants it. I forgot to post it when it came out.

docdro.id/n9HIDND

What the fuck does IBM even do? How are they still alive? Google, Microsoft, Amazon exist. Seriously how is this dinosaur still in business?

in my eyes its more the trust thing thats broken
they cut their divs for a reason:
they cant afford it
that means no more annual hike and no guarantee they wont have to do it more. with all the shit about SEC sniffing around, theres better plays imo

it kinda looks like Buffet ruined two perfectly good companies @_@

Attached: c0d61a8951c14c35d0d42f03f8926897.png (550x438, 65K)

Buy SEEL

They’re business-facing, all they need is a few good whales

GALT

That's understandable.

Honestly the debt is so high there's a good possibility they will need to cut it one more time if they don't turn things around in the couple of years. It would have been better if they would have slashed it even more, maybe 50%, to avoid this situation down the road. So that's a good reason to stay out.

The SEC situation is being overblown though.

Why

Why

Why

SEEL is oversold as fuck. A tiny bit of buy volume will start a chain reaction and send it sky high.

Pros and cons of GPRO

>Pro
GPRO!!!!!!!!!!

>Con
...... gpro.......

Attached: giphy (7).gif (533x300, 838K)

"Those who regularly preach doom because of government budget deficits (as I regularly did myself for many years) might note that our country’s national debt has increased roughly 400-fold during the last of my 77-year periods. That’s 40,000%!"

That buffet might be right, lots of dooms day people calling debt crisis any day :P

Attached: FT_17.08.01_debt_interest_420px.png (420x530, 32K)

does anyone here fuck with Royal Dutch Shell? fat dividend, cash monster, etc

Someone said something the other day about a bidding war for GPRO between Apple and Google. :/

Here are American food brands I'm considering
>PEP
I drink 1 liter of diet mountain dew everyday. They also are significantly more diversified than cucked c*ke
>MNST
They are making cold coffee now as well as non-energy drinks
>NBEV
I would never smoke pot because I'm not a fucking fag. Drinking it would be bretty cool though. DUDE WEED LMAO
>Post
They objectively make the best cereals. Compare their brands to GIS and it's not even close. Also while millenials suck at cooking, they will continue to buy cereal.
>RMCF
Easily 100% gains with a 5% dividend. Almost no debt. It's like a T-bond, but with chocolate

I'm interested in BP, RDS and EQNR. Especially EQNR. These oil companies are investing billions of dollars into renewable energy, are undervalued and have tons of free cash flow.

Should I buy $7 calls on GPRO??

Attached: 1547419325571.jpg (944x1058, 171K)

that was me ....
me was lying @_@

;_; sorry there not bidding war

Attached: sweatysnaek.gif (364x489, 526K)

Oh
Guess I'll buy GoPro then.

Very lackluster Powerpoint presentation from Newell at #CAGNY, only 1 slide. No one is even tweeting about it

Attached: xlarge.jpg (500x282, 40K)

>I would never smoke pot because I'm not a fucking fag. Drinking it would be bretty cool though
that makes you a much bigger faggot desu
drinking it is only cool when you let it sit in high proof liquor for like a couple months

man youre just getting fucked every which way these last few days, huh?

It's a biotech stock, iirc
If it's down for an actual fundamental reason (failed clinical trial, etc), then any oversold bounce will be temporary until it bottoms out

Based and GoPilled

hoping to pick up some BP as well, not heard of EQNR before but checking wm out they done seem like one of the biggest boys and north sea is almost empty so not sure how much space a Norwegian oil company got to grow

>not buying KDP

DFS has a PE of about 9, consistently grow earnings, and starting to expand their card business into Europe, and pay a decent dividend of about 2.75%.

>1 liter of diet mountain dew a day
Good lord that can’t be good for you. Also NBEV’s Xing tea is VERY popular with the upper middle to upper class pot smoking hipster demographic already. A CBD drink would be killer. Only problem is they’re full of sugar (I literally puked from drinking a blueberry one once). The people who’d be buying them are acutely aware of nutrition, they need to make a zero calorie drink or they won’t compete.

Attached: CB30C75E-4E02-4348-B5E5-AEDC04A2A197.jpg (406x600, 79K)

If it isn't down for a fundamental reason, then it could be a good setup, tho

Don’t miss the moon!
Buy PLUG and WATT!

Attached: 72B539C2-FD4A-46FC-9172-E5EB543C3020.jpg (1664x1212, 69K)

Why

I got RMCF at 8 something
Post keeps mooning, cant enter

yup, but As long as Campbells and BGS doesnt crash simultaneously on next weeks earnings the january gains should cusion all hardship

Attached: cl.jpg (1920x1080, 174K)

I won't consider KDP because their website looks like it was designed by a blind woman
AMRS + NBEV = Sugar free weed???

>As long as Campbells and BGS doesnt crash simultaneously on next weeks earnings
hopefully their balance sheet isnt as fucking blown out as krafts either

Thank you for asking!
PLUG has just opened up a new facility in Rochester, New York creating 80 new jobs. They are planning to continue expanding to other industrial areas and applying hydrogen fuel cells to forklifts/cranes and other industrial capable machines.
Shares of (PLUG) have caught the attention of the Wall Street community. The stock price is settled at $1.8 after trading hours. Taking a look at the daily price change trend and size of price movement it is recorded that PLUG spotted a positive behavior with drift of 1.12%.
The rsi currently hovers at 58, analysts believe this will get closer after earnings in March 3. They have picked up an incredible amount of volume for a small cap and a liquid stock is always better to hold onto.
I just like WATT and mixes with my theme :)

With RMCF's current dividend, if you buy 100 shares and use DRIP, you can own the entire company in 213 years!

test

See, posting stuff like this both makes your posts more persuasive and raises their quality
No reason not to include a reason if you have one, imo

If you have some spare cash on hand and want to own the entire company in 50 years, you would only have to buy 500,000 shares at 4,550,000 dollars!
What a steal!

bgs is a strange thing because, their revenue and cashflow has doubled since 2016
This might have something to do with their Stranmge dividend which is a "return of Capital return" dividend, which is a dividend species found in Royalty trusts or reits. This allows them to have a higher dividend because they can payout in ways Qualified dividends can not.

However, apparently they used an Even RARER form of dividend for 2017/2018 that is not qualified nor 'return of capital' while they divested brands. basically, that might be why the cashflow has risen so much, but idk, maybe green beans are selling extra well

Attached: dxa.png (363x390, 266K)

>Rochester, New York
>kodak park
red flag
thats hollowed grounds senpai
doomed from the start. literally nothing has ever moved into rochester and succeeded since the late 1800s.
same for all of western NY desu

sounds good, I think thats how buffet bought berkshire as a kid

Attached: 1550807425098.png (696x772, 200K)

I think it's down because it was a good swing trade which broke support initiating a huge panic selloff.
Only news is merger news, and an already anticipated merger doesn't send your stock plummeting 40%

Meh maybe things change? I’m more interested in their “rumored deal” of an acquisition with Toyota but idk how legit it is. They used to be at the forefront of the industry and I’m not sure what happened...but analysts and myself are positive it’ll go to at least 4 by EOY unless Tesla or someone else picks it up

>maybe green beans are selling extra well
ive been trying to eat em more desu

Weird, I'm doing a cut and ate em for the first time in months just yesterday. Usually I only do broccoli.

no, rochester is a shithole. you shouldn't be buying the stocks where you hope some savior will save it lol.

i'm curious about what smg thinks about dividend investing vs growth investing. i think that literally only boomers think that dividends are actually worthwhile to chase for. growth does seem to be a better signal for overall success.

What actually happens is you buy a majority of the shares of a company? Can you just show up at their offices monday and take a dump in their crapper?

UM excuse me, what the fuck
I assume you get to chose the most attractive employee and make her your wife

Attached: holee.jpg (997x598, 26K)

dividends just add to my already superior passive income. Any boost means less hours I have to work over time

Attached: x1mz.png (352x397, 169K)

why do you assume that these dividend-producing companies will last to provide you with passive income when the dividends themselves is a signal for failure?

all i can say is that rochester is a cursed town.
ever since kodak (and delphi and bausch etc etc) collapsed and 80% of the residents lost their jobs, NOTHING that that town has ever done or tried to do has been realized. not to mention kodak park is literally poisonous (saturated in film chems so its land is sold for a steep discount). you could tell someone grew up drinking tap in the neighborhoods off of lake ave because of the FAS tier face and the ~65IQ

i know why its cursed tho
the southern half of the town was literally built on a plowed over indian burial ground. the property markers back then were these mangled up injun bones that they plowed out of the earth. worse still, the injuns never used to even LIVE in the area now known as rochester. they knew "the place between the hills of power" to be a place where absolutely no mortal should live. it was a city of the dead, and a place of unspeakable and likely evil power.

and in a way, this is still what it is, as between mount hope cemetary and the holy sepulcher, there are FAR more dead than living. i remember when i used to live there, that the city had over twice as many dead and buried as they had residents in the entire surrounding area

>rochester is a shithole
correct
closest comparison is russia or the ukraine desu

because they will

Attached: x91.jpg (246x221, 19K)

dividend stocks tend to be slow steady gains if you choose good companies

use tiny dividends from a few good bluechips, and buy shares of memes, which you fip for +-50% with your chump change

you get big wins long term because slow steady growth, and you get quick le epig day trader man feels when you make a great call on a penny stock pump (turn $10 into $20) or you dont give a fuck about losing chump change while your big positions continue to gain

basically dividend payments are great for fuckaround-playmoney, but it only works if you hold the dividend stocks long term

if you are impatient you wont make money from dividends, and it seems like most of the thread just wants to do options and become rich overnight
dividends are good for long term gains, not overnight

Attached: 1485653214704.png (500x547, 194K)

tell that to warren lol

how do you choose good dividend companies? pick the growing companies and wait for their dividends to pay off? amazon WILL crush all other companies, and it's going to take 90 years for the amazon dividends to pay off.

any of you live in 'post-apocalyptic-wasteland'? :)

youtube.com/watch?v=ADoCnZrVVdY

Attached: giphy.gif (245x280, 1.97M)

>I assume you get to chose the most attractive employee and make her your wife
Hello harem of Social Media Coordinators

>warren only buys dividend stocks
>his company doesn't pay a dividend
HMMMMMMMMMMMM

dividend isn’t a bad signal sometimes a company just makes too much cash (oh no!) so after share buyback and funding expansion they have some left over to give back to shareholders

I like to look for companies in that sweet spot of 2%-3% dividend anything over that is a major red flag that their business is pretty much toast.

The good thing about dividend investing IMO is the belief that the company will eventually hit a new ATH. So even if you are down 40% you will let the dividend reinvest and eventually the shares will be more valuable.

With the fat dividend companies like Coke, AT&T, KHC (still too high), will probably never recover to what they once were. But if you look at their competitors, KDP, VZ, MKC, they are all paying about half the dividend on a % base and their stocks have performed accordingly. KDP is up about 300% over coke over the past 5 years, MKC is on a huge run while KHC falls into the earth, and VZ has had much better performance that T and all of these companies are universally agreed to have a bright future while the others are on their last legs.

Congratulations, you get worst post of the thread

really makes u think
that's true, so you should be chasing for growth companies NOT dividend companies then.
good and nuanced take. i still can't cope with the idea of buying these companies over something like amzn.

Attached: 1547147802336.png (513x312, 150K)

KDP paid the FATTEST special dividend after the merger, and DPS was fat as well. If you think dividends hurt the price KDP should seem very overpriced to you

Vanguard vs E trade. Which brokerage is better for the purposes of trading stock in a taxable account?

>tfw you bought NAKD

LMT, WM, BA, HON, SPY, DIA

>amazon WILL crush all other companies, and it's going to take 90 years for the amazon dividends to pay off.
it will take more than infinity years for AMZN dividends to pay off considering they have a dividend payment of $0.00 a share every quarter/year/decade

its because his company is not one that is properly structured to benefit from a dividend (aka a cyclical business, or one that moves goods or services, not a business where cash is your primary resource, and holding a stockpile of cash is your biggest asset)

Coke paying dividends makes sense because sitting on extra cash does not help their business, only cash invested elsewhere (raw material suppliers, equipment manufacturers, advertising, ect) helps, and demand for their product changes throughout the year, even if its mostly steady

BRK.A and BRK.B have a business based on having cash in hand, to invest with, and make insurance payments with, along with lending cash

spending cash surplus on their business (upgraded facilities, worker salary, or shareholder dividends) will only reduce their overall effectiveness at loaning large sums of money when others dont have enough

you dont get high off your own supply, and unlike many companies, Berkshire's main resource, its main asset, is not a superior product, its a superior pile of spare cash to use only when advantageous

Attached: Judge Scalia on Judging.jpg (970x1282, 364K)

That wasn't a dividend. Keurig just wanted to own the majority of the company so they paid cash to make up for the difference in equity. About 90% of KDP is privately held for this reason.

>LMT, WM, BA, HON, SPY, DIA
this seems more in line w where were heading tbf
especially the lockheed and boeing

Value investing is the true patrician choice

BA has been a nice surprise, wish I bought more when I first got it

Never would have thought I'd see BA shares worth more than LMT shares

Pic related, one BA retruns ($2 quarterly dividends not included)

Attached: Screenshot_20190223-194255.png (1440x2560, 158K)

when warren dies will brka brkb tank?

Attached: 1547227124675.jpg (400x400, 25K)

not to mention we sell guns and planes and whatnot to every dumb cunt with two bucks to rub together. AND the gorillion dollar defense bill last year

Value is subjective. Which metric do you use?

apparently all it takes is bob kraft getting popped for eating kids or whatever

Yeah it's a celeb stock

I bought around $350, but only got 5 shares. Most analysts have a target price of around $480, but I can't bring myself to buy here.

know any good celery stonks?

Been following your thread, the companies you mentioned are pretty steep in my budget since I am only making $50k a year.

Wondering if you have other companies aside from KO which have good dividends.

New to investing, Thank you for the help in advance.