12-year old boy starts a nuclear fusion at home

Apparently CIA did not kill him yet.

hardware.slashdot.org/story/19/02/23/0033215/12-year-old-boy-reportedly-builds-a-nuclear-fusion-reactor

An American 14-year-old has reportedly become the youngest known person in the world to create a successful nuclear reaction. The Open Source Fusor Research Consortium, a hobbyist group, has recognised the achievement by Jackson Oswalt, from Memphis, Tennessee, when he was aged 12 in January 2018....

The enterprising teenager said he transformed an old playroom in his parents' house into a nuclear laboratory with

>$10,000 (£7,700) worth of equipment

that uses 50,000 volts of electricity to heat deuterium gas and fuse the nuclei to release energy. "The start of the process was just learning about what other people had done with their fusion reactors," Jackson told Fox. "After that, I assembled a list of parts I needed. I got those parts off eBay primarily and then oftentimes the parts that I managed to scrounge off of eBay weren't exactly what I needed. So I'd have to modify them to be able to do what I needed to do for my project...."

cientists are likely to remain sceptical until Oswalt's workings are subject to verification from an official organisation and are published in an academic journal. Still, the teenager may now have usurped the previous record holder, Taylor Wilson, who works in nuclear energy research after achieving fusion aged 14.

Attached: 1499109963002.jpg (618x328, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn
makezine.com/projects/make-36-boards/nuclear-fusor/
hardware.slashdot.org/story/19/02/23/0033215/12-year-old-boy-reportedly-builds-a-nuclear-fusion-reactor
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>brainlets thinking fusion reactors are hard to build or buy

>hard to buy
give us an example pls.

It's been done before

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

this nigga finna blow the wurl up

While these haters gettin mad

user, Farnsworth-Hirsch fusor is impressive for a 12-years old, but nothing special in the grand scheme of things... it does fusion but still doesn't produce net energy, you can buy one online or build it yourself, there are many guides online like here:
makezine.com/projects/make-36-boards/nuclear-fusor/

Fusion is a meme

a small loan of 10k

This.

It's not that difficult to build a fusion reactor that requires more energy than it gives out. The hard part is creating one with a net supply of energy.

Impressive for his age though if true.

>>$10,000 (£7,700) worth of equipment

so his parents built him a nuclear reactor. Congrats parents.

>>$10,000 (£7,700) worth of equipment

The dad built it.

Hahn served in the U.S. Navy and Marines. He was subsequently treated for mental illness, and his death at age 39 was related to drug and alcohol use.

why would the parents build it then claim the son did
he will have to prove himself regardless
wouldnt make sense

Attached: C5EBEFDF-4425-4CCB-BB72-3701B839A6BD.jpg (350x450, 27K)

Methhead

And former child genius.

this
coulda done so many things as a highly focussed kid but my parents were not rich

Polywell reactors are the future if they ever get out of patent lockdown from the US navy

Nah bud, the facial scars are actually from radiation. It wasn't enough to penetrate the skin and give him full cancer, but it was enough to fuck his skin's shit up

It was the dad

why the fuck would the dad claim his son did this
waiting for non gay explanation

Why would the dad claim HE did it? You get nothing out of it. Millions of adults handle (and create) nuclear fusion daily, it's not news. A 12-year-old, though? That's news, even just judging from this thread. It's a question of whether you want to optimistically believe a dad decided to fund 10,000 dollars into his 12 year old's dreams of creating a nuclear reaction, or a dad decided to attempt it himself and give his son the credit.

It even says in the interview with the son that he had to "modify [the parts he ordered] to be able to do what I needed to do for my project." First off, that language is very general and un-scientific; if he actually did it, he'd be going into detail about what he did with each piece. Second, not only does this 12 year old know nuclear fusion, he also knows how sautering? Fuck off. Now, you give me a non-gay explanation on why this is legit.

You're a fucking idiot.

This. It's like the "MUH LIL NIGGA INVENTED HIMSELF A PC AT 12 YEARS OLD!" articles.

(Parents bought some PC parts off overclockers and put them together..)

Because that gets in the news. It wouldn't if the parents did it, since as other anons said, doing fusion is "easy". The hard part is getting out more energy than you put in.

sautering and nuclear fusion are two different things
the only thing the dad did was fund and help with novel skills such as sautering
child prodigy exists

gets news for what
if they are lying the news stops soon once they check his work and prove fraud
this is stupid as fuck

Congratulations, dude; you just gave me the gayest explanation ever.

How would they check if the kid really made the reactor? Are they going to check the security footage?

this girl is such a good person. she made the world a more beautiful place by making herself more beautiful. that ass is as smashable as it gets

how does the dad benefit from this other than "news"
is he going to parlay this into a job application?
please explain

Because the reactor actually achieves nothing. It's nothing that's not already been done, and doesn't output more than you need to put in, so what's the point?

None of this is newsworthy, other than "a 12 y/o did it..".

You really think the papers give a shit whether it's correct or not? Do you even see the news nowadays? They care only what they can splash on a headline or social media for a few clicks.

they will test his math knowledge and make him work equations irl

She didn't "do" anything. She grew up, is all. It's just what is granted to a fertile young female. For a few years, till they hit the wall at 35.

No, because you're not explaining shit. You're just plugging your ears up and screaming, begging for someone to provide something of substance to the conversation so you can go on to provide none. Just as well as you say "child prodigies exist" and want to claim that the dad did the sautering (you have no proof for that, and in the interview with the kid, THE KID was the one who claimed to have done the sautering himself), I can simply tell you you're wrong and this is fake and gay.

She's going to be a great cougar though.

Some outlets pay for stories. That, or he's just an attention whore.

Same as the article in pic related. Ask yourself "why"? News is shit, that's why.

Attached: Nigga invents PC.png (500x697, 151K)

What equations would be involved in this? There are guides online that tell you how to make the reactor step by step.

>Joshua’s mother, Sandra, also believes it is her husband’s IT background which has contributed to her son’s talents in technology.

>“Growing up with a dad who is computer savvy has obviously helped Joshua, but his aptitude has surprised me. Much of the tech language he uses I don’t understand and even his father admits that some of the coding and programming language he is learning is beyond him too.

>Six years ago I remember having a lap top which broke down and giving it to my son who repaired it by looking at You Tube and using his intelligence.

So a dad with an "I.T Background" (works in I.T), couldn't fix a laptop, and gave it to his FIVE YEAR OLD, who somehow "fixed" it using "youtube" and "intelligence".

I bet that "I.T background" certainly "helped" when "inventing" this PC didn't it. As did the funds. Ask yourself, just how does a 11 y/o nigga save up £600 that easily?

Also oh look:
>From September Joshua will be attending the East London Science School, in Bromley-by-Bow.

Schools and so on love milking these sort of articles for social justice points / attentionwhoring in the news themselves. Remember clock boy?

Attached: AP_250782557912.jpg (2000x1587, 497K)

youre fucking dumb and gay, i will be following this story and updating just to prove youre a dumb ass nigger
the kid fuckin did it

Clockboy was different. The teacher thought he was going to kaboom the class.

Hi Mr. Oswalt.

Indeed, but the point is how all the news jumped on his "inventiveness", milking the shit out of it. As did schools, NASA, bill gates blablabla. The point is the same, attentionwhoring.

As with clock boy, it was obviously the activist father who took apart his old 1980s clock, screwed the display into a case, threw a few wires and a pack of silica gel in there for the fear factor, then sat back milking the news.

Exactly what was "invented" there?

Because you desperately want to believe this kid is Tony fucking Stark, because you're a pleb, and exactly who the news target with this sort of attentionwhoring shit.

The news won't care it's wrong, they just want their clicks on the day.

Nothing and the kid shouldn’t have been paraded around every major news network like he was. It would’ve been funny if he kaboomed the class after all that happened though.

i didnt click any links
youre obviously more invested than me at this point
sucka nigger dicc, he built it, he is chosen

>he is chosen
Are you a schizo?

Exactly lol.

In ALL 3 of these stories I just cited we have what, an attentionwhoring click-baiting media, a hapless pre-teen "prodigy", and oh so conveniently, a father with some interest in the context.. Be it activism, I.T, science or whatever. And also a copious amount of funding usually way out of whack as to what you'd allocate to a kid..

He's just being a plonker.

I should start a headline and cite him. 12y/o INVENTS Trolling!

>hardware.slashdot.org/story/19/02/23/0033215/12-year-old-boy-reportedly-builds-a-nuclear-fusion-reactor

Did he use thorium?

she did a ton of weight training actually, faggot

Soldering you fucking ignoramus

>thinks girls just develop round assess you can bounce quarters off

Department of Energy needs to hire this kid ASAP. fuck school for this kid, he's better than the other kids.

Lets get a thorium molten salt reactor in the US in the next decade.

Youngfags are so delusional. That is from working out, and getting ass injections.

literally MADE for BBC