How to make money as a dj or edm music producer?

How to make money as a dj or edm music producer?

Attached: 99726F7F-2767-44CB-91EB-3CC0C59B737C.jpg (1200x799, 300K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LWH7YYi4F3E
forbes.com/sites/laurelmoglen/2017/06/28/podcast-the-man-behind-martin-garrix
youtu.be/KJgTAgEDkZ8?t=2084
twitter.com/AnonBabble

put a tip jar out

Ask rappers to produce their beats

either
>get gigs and do plenty of them. small clubs which turns into bigger hopefully while you make music
(like the avicii documentary, most usual)

or
>make music and license it, get singers and get a cut of the deal. more common in hip hop environment although i don't know

If you dont have any connections to Scooter Braun you're never going to make it. He runs the entire music industry. In interviews Martin Garrix says he got started by sending demos out to labels and posting tracks online. I believed this story when I started in EDM, and thought I had a chance at making it. But one of his managers let it slip in a podcast that Garrix was speaking to SB Projects before his famous song "Animals" ever existed. When the song was released Braun's team helped distribute it to every big club DJ and radio station in the United States (Chainsmokers said in an interview they got early access to the song for their sets). This distribution model is how he got famous.

(Btw dont bother contacting SB projects. They have a clause that basically says do not solicit them in any way, and if you do send them your demo they own 100% of the rights to it. You have to have family connections.)

Also most producers over-estimate the power of social media. They hear stories like Garrix and think they have a chance. They have 10k instagram followers and think they have a chance. They think they just need 1 hit to "go viral". But in reality there are still a lot of legacy distribution systems in place in the music industry that only few have influence over. It's a very saturated industry with not much money to go around, so nepotism is a big issue. Shkreli has a good vid about the money side youtube.com/watch?v=LWH7YYi4F3E

Another fun fact, both Scooter Braun and Tiesto own a part of the company Splice, a sample purchasing site aimed at bedroom producers. Very strategic considering they've been pushing this "you can make it own your own" narrative for the past 6 years. Garrix even says in interviews that "Tiesto found my song and contacted me!" but then you realize Tiesto is also managed by Braun. Hilarious.

Attached: large.jpg (500x375, 174K)

Well that’s a serious blackpill, thanks for that user at least you’re being real will look into this some more.

No problem. If you still want to try to make money in the music industry your best bet is with Rap, as thats were the money is concentrated at the moment (EDM is essentially in a bear market). Not as a rapper obviously but helping out with behind the scenes stuff like marketing, beats, engineering, live events, etc. The hip hop industry is run exclusively by nerdy white guys so it's a good fit for autists like us.

>Braun was born in New York City to Conservative Jewish parents,[13] Ervin and Susan (née Schlussel) Braun. Ervin's parents "had barely escaped" the Holocaust

Why am I even surprised anymore

I disagree, I have a lot of friends who have made a very good living in music. The real way is to play a show every night in different towns for a couple of years until your name is recognisable. Basically take any gig you can get, build a mailing list, social media following, do any radio or podcast interview that will take you. My good friend did this for about eight years and eventually opened for radiohead (as a drummer in a band) and bought a million dollar house. It was a shitload of work, and he looks about 20 years older than me from the hard living, but it's possible. DJ's have it even easier because they aren't splitting the money between 4 band members and don't have to haul a van of equipment. 200 dollars is not an unreasonable amount of money for even an entry level night, but take as low as 50--never play for free. It's not a conspiracy theory, it's just a lot of very hard work.

Thanks senpai, actually pretty good advice I can make a decent trap beat and have the mixing/engineering side down alright, so might give that a shot to make one of those “type” instrumental YouTube
channels and see where it goes from there. BTW you got a source to one of those Scooter Braun demo sites so I can see those “if you submit we own it” terms?
Also a good perspective, Definetly gonna work on my “dj” side of things too and take any gigs I can get, was looking into this all recently and it seems easier than ever before to self release a song, even if the shirt doesn’t sell well, having music on iTunes and beat port makes it easier to pitch club owners and event promoters

The riskier option would be to sell drugs on the side, ket/molly/lsd

Actually not a bad idea, not something I would do but the dealer always knows all the club promoters and owners

Its all so tiresome

Tfw scooter braun is from my hometown and I have the means to connect one day

I had suspicions about this type of thing, especially regarding Skooter Braun as it seems everyone from Bieber to Post Malone is connected to him in some way. Out of curiosity, do you remember what the podcast was?

He talks about it 10 mins in forbes.com/sites/laurelmoglen/2017/06/28/podcast-the-man-behind-martin-garrix

Wow. Do you have any other redpills to drop? I'm putting together a screencap.

Include me in the screencap lol, also did some digging on pol via 4plebs they think scooter fucked bibier with usher and scooter also broke ties with kayne recently, allegedly he told kayne not to support trump, also they were worried about Bieber recently and his “addiction to going to church” after bieber found Jesus

Attached: 42E46D72-F33B-4EA6-80A5-BE0540CA9003.jpg (480x480, 47K)

>be good-looking in a retarded way
>spend three days learning the basics
>shit out crap after crap
>get insanely lucky

Voilà, you're now spending the rest of your career pressing play and flapping your arms at the world's hottest venues.

Lmao thanks for the laugh

I would like to dick around on FL studio and make beats just as a hobby. But where do I start? Its a bit overwhelming

Also, do you need to know music theory to make good songs? Or as long as it sounds good, its all fair game? Dont some artists just mix samples all day (skrillex)

Be Jewish and/or have Jewish friends.

People think "gangnam style" went viral in America on its own. Kek. youtu.be/KJgTAgEDkZ8?t=2084

>Where do I start
1337x.to and download a copy of fo studio then watch some tutorials on YouTube intro to FL 20 type videos to get off the ground
>do I need to know music theory
Not a full blown understanding of everything but being able to count bars and beats and understanding song structure ie 8 bar hooks and 16 bar verses, also learn about the different scales and what it means for your track and samples to all be “in key” with each other

neat thanks.

Like said, music is an industry with gate keepers and manufactured success. The big record labels have the infrastructure to make you an instant star. The internet allows you to avoid this, but only to an extent.

Is there a specific timestamp to look for in this one? I'm 22 mins in and I can't stand listening to any more of his adages.

31 mins in he concedes that his company (privately) owns a bunch of other management companies, which had never been announced publicly. So if Scooter cuts ties with you privately, he could blacklist your work to a certain extent.

Wow I see what you're saying. 35 mins in he discusses how he discovered PSY and then made it happen in the US by leveraging his connections. Kek what a deal, he gives the guy royalties up front but buys the master and copyright on the song. Wonder how much he made on his end.

Attached: 3298209384092384210.png (1472x678, 1.11M)

My link had the timestamp, looks like you found it though. But yeah it's an interesting insight into a world that most people don't really think about. I forget if its that interview but he also talks about how he got 2 major labels into a bidding war for "Call me maybe" by booking the meetings with the execs at the same time/location. Smart guy.

Good one

Yeah he talked about having them both across the street from each other while he was running back and forth.

topkek

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-27 21-39-45.png (578x188, 38K)

go back in time to 2009

Yeah, don't do this. You'll make some money, until you get arrested.

any other gate keepers in the music biz? genuinely curious

>EDM is essentially in a bear market

Since when? shits popular as fuck these days. LYV stock has been doing well for years