Bad Work Advice

>collaborating with senior analyst, I'm just a regular analyst
>tedious document work
>we're literally just searching documents for keywords and collating them, a disciplined child could do it
>he says he's been doing this for 10 years and earnestly advises me that "user, this is a valuable skill, you should learn it because it's what will make you an asset at any sizeable company"
>nod my head and smile while thinking of how to best escape this black hole
I wish this was the worst incident

What bad advice have you received from work?
Preferably from senior colleagues.

Attached: yeet.png (168x300, 11K)

>how to best escape this black hole
Scan the documents and write a 100 line script that automates away his job

Sorry, I forgot to mention we were searching documents already stored on an enterprise platform.
Unfortunately it's not easily automated because there's no consistent pattern in how the documents are selected due to the range of sources, variety of documents and ultimately somewhat-subjective method of selecting the relevant ones.

> be systems analyst and part time grad student
> ready for new work, find a job with data analysis and statistical modeling
> give notice, have immunity for two weeks and nothing to do
> Boomer coworker like 20 years my senior hears I'm leaving
> We're same pay grade and he's in grad school too
> "Yea user I heard you're going for data science I've been studying that myself"
> Correct him and say it's a data analyst job and he just nods and says mhmm
> "Yea user I'm in an MBA program now and we're learning statistics in Excel. On the side I'm getting certifications as well. You should check out my LinkedIn!"
> He invites me on LinkedIn like five minutes after we stop talking
> I look at his certs
> They're all fucking Coursera SQL and Excel certs
> He goes to a garbage tier MBA program
> He probably spends 3x my education with all of it combined
That wasn't even the worst of it though. He asked me if my job was going to be "north of 95" which I thought was like a highway or interstate or something and because I was so disinterested I just nodded and said "yea somewhere around there". I guess he was actually trying to subtly and was awestruck when I confirmed his beliefs. Now in a building like 4 blocks away some 45 year old boomer thinks I'm a six figure data scientist and that somehow with his MBA and Coursera he's gonna make it

> guess he was actually trying to subtly and was awestruck
*Guess he was actually trying to subtly ask about my salary and was awestruck

Lmfao

Don't be an asshole. Guys like that are actually useful. Notice that for that guy those meaningless titles are everything. He lives for the title. That's the kind of guy you want in middle tier management because if you just give him a fancy title he'll be loyal to you for life. Trust me, you millenials know nothing about how to run a business and how to treat people. I guarantee you that there is something in your life that you are as irrational about as that guy is with titles and certs.

Coursera certs arent even real certs. They're certifications that you sat and watched a video for like 5 hours

Who cares man, the guy likes it. More useful than the videogame achievements you retards spend your free time obtaining.

Don? Is that you?

Yes Jerry, it's me.

This thread is a bit slow.

The biggest lie I've heard is that you should work hard and take pleasure in doing so. The supposed feeling of fulfillment you imagine yourself to have is a delusion.
Modern work is slavery. So are taxes. You cannot imagine it being the other way unless you become financially indepentent and free from the System.
They say you should seek a job that you enjoy doing, but that's self-contradictory.
Work is hell. It's not made to be enjoyed.
Cons do NOT outweight pros.
I wish I realised this earlier. One should strive to become a crypto nomad in 202s, that's the gold rush of our times.

dude courses is not bad per day. their quality is better than state schools. if the dude paid attention, which is more likely if he didn't rush through them. then he is as qualified as a millennial retstd who sat through college and cheated on his exams. you have to guage his enthusiasm and his willingness to learn. that is what separates the posers from the genuine professional

What format are these documents in?
Plain text? HTML? PDF? Scanned documents?

how fucking difficult do you think it is to write a regex? something about this doesn't add up. maybe the boomer is just intimidated by your ability and wants to retard your progress by designating you as a human ctrl-f?

Everything can't be automated you imbecile. This is why we still use mechanics to fix cars.

Help I have a bachelor's in informatics and I'm stuck at a dead-end call center job that can easily be automated away what do I do?

>Get your P.Eng user, some day you will basically be able to make 75K and act in the capacity of a glorified electrical technician

Attached: 1516707565203.jpg (640x640, 92K)

Just learn to code bro

>Just learn to code bro
But coding sucks my soul right out of my dick hole.

There's only 3 possible explanations for your reply:
1, You dont know what regex is
2, You dont understand what OP does
3. You're retarded

My point isn't to say Coursera is bad, my point is to say his idea of a certification is the completion of a Coursera course which anybody can do if they're willing to pay for it. That's miles away from a certification for something like, for example, linux or windows. A LPI certification requires that you really know Linux inside and out and are able to pass a couple exams with your knowledge. There's a massive difference

You ever hear of the Gervais principle, user? You just described a Clueless.