Who here in the wrong?

>guy calls me out of the blue
>hey, you helped us in the past with X we have some very rich clients who are interested in *insert very specific cyber-related need* and they want you to advise them and perhaps help be a product owner on a project they want
>alright, we can arrange a meeting on Sunday at 09:30 am at X, I charge $300 per hour for my advisory.
>oh okay but the meeting is just with me and my partner, not with the investors, it is to see if you could actually help us
>I see, but I'm going to lose an hour of work in order to come and talk to you
>this is an opportunity with a chance to get tons of money, if you can't come for an hour then nevermind, we will pay for the coffee :)
>good luck guys~

who here in the wrong?
tl;dr -
guy i worked with calls me for a business opportunity, says it is for very rich investors he has, can't afford to pay me $300, knows I'm one of the few people who could actually do it

Attached: xcxc.jpg (960x296, 20K)

just to make things clear, I have a well paying job, I don't need his offer and asking for $300 to begin with was a shit-test to see if they're actually serious (if his clients were that rich, he wouldn't mind spending $300 to make it work)

Lmfao that absolute state of wagecucks
I would neck you if your little wagecuck face tried to charge me 300 for a consultation

you, you've got your head up your ass
would never work with someone like that

See this is why wagies stay cucked
The faggot could have left the wage cage and maybe got some equity
But he had to shit it up so he can continue to eat scheklberg poops

kek, but that shit he needs done is something people in the cyberspace don't know how to do, why wouldn't I charge a lot?

What will likely happen is enough info will be teased out of you for them to take over the project themselves, thereby fucking you out of an hour and an opportunity.

t. fellow consultant

What is more important to you, $300 or $300,000 if you get the project
I will never pay for a consultation because I'm not gay

how could I know whether they are serious or not?
well, I asked for $300, they rejected it.
I understood that they don't really have such a great opportunity or they wouldn't give it up for $300
yea I figured

What is your specialization? You keep dancing around it like it is some big fucking secret, nobody here gives a shit enough to dox you, paranoid fuck. Just tell us the context.

kek this has to be bait

it's probably not, shit like this comes up a lot when you do freelance consulting work.

nobody was in the wrong

You're in the wrong. Also this

Nah that is his own fault if that happens though, if he isn't bringing value to the project that someone else couldn't they don't actually need him in the first place. This is why 90% of consultants without actual skills or actual unique specialization are scamsters.

If user was providing real value he wouldn't have to worry about people trying to do the project without him. It is more than easy enough to go meet with them, talk through the opportunity for an hr without letting them brainfuck him. Just continuously hedge, and tell them that if they pay for you as a consultant you can answer that. Use the free hr to sell yourself and hear them talk about it without providing them any value.

Life is short and boring, if it were me I would have at least gone just for shit/giggles.

idk man, a light light bulb is a pretty good invention I could have stolen the idea for in an hour meeting

Bahahaha now I know you are a fucking larping child. That isn't anywhere near how consulting works bud, not even slightly.

This

>sup bro, could we take you out for coffee or a beer to talk over a Jow Forums idea?
f-f-fuck off m-my time is valuable!!
time is money HURR pay me by the hour!!
[breathing heavily through teeth]
>well dude, I mean, you havent made the sale yet I just want to introduce you to this guy I know

REEEEEEEE

Attached: 1551998238321.jpg (634x580, 89K)

>Equating what you can attain through "teasing" as providing actual value.

Absolutely nothing wrong. I like to offer one or two hours free of charge for any new project, unannounced, of course, than make my call usually after that time; whether it be to pursue the job with my pay rate or tell the person to fuck off altogether.

Image related is what I think of when people just have
>one drink

So basically there could have been 2 outcomes
1) It's a shit idea and you lost your free time($300 I guess).
2) It's a good idea and you might make money
Opportunity cost was $300. Like one user said, it would have been better to offer 1-2 hrs for free and then start charging.

I get the idea of a bullshit test, but you should have gone and listened to them. You'll spend an hour just watching a TV show, so every minute of your day is not billable. Like someone else said, you use the hour to sell yourself and the value you can bring them.

Any pitch I've ever done has involved giving a bit of free work over. It's worth wasting a bit of time if you can get a nice fee.

Well I think if OP were actually a big name contractor/consultant with great reputation, I've seen people get away with charging for initial consultations when they are in that kind of position.

That said, OP is a larping kid who will never be in a position where he can expect 300USD an hr for an initial consultation based on his reputation alone.

You make $15 an hour and have no professional skills. OP is in the right to charge a consultation fee.

time is money. if your potential partners can't understand that then they are fucking amateurs. you did the right thing, OP.