Most useful programming langauge to learn

I need to upskill, in order to be more attractive to employers. What would you recommend for me to learn? I have a basic knowledge of Java, SQL and VBA currently.

Attached: images (40).jpg (220x220, 5K)

C# and Python should be learned too. They're big ones. Also get some Cisco IT certs in there, looks good to employers no matter the specific field.

Unironically JavaScript.

C++

python, turbo pascal and fortran

Only pajeets and underachievers get cisco certs.

To clarify something, I don't have a background in IT and I don't necessarily want to work in IT, but I want skills that I can leverage to get employed (I need to get out of my country and am looking towards emigrating to the US).

Python, Javascript

What's preferable then? I don't have the time nor money to do a full IT bachelors now. Would a diploma suffice?

C#, Python, JS

assembly

Not true at all, huge companies love Cisco. I interviewed with one called Atlas and they told me how much better those are compared to degrees.
He clearly has no field experience, I wouldn't bother with him

It's JavaScript for startups, C# for government & social services, and Java for private enterprise.

If that's true, cisco certs seem more expedient than a diploma. I'll have to compare the two. Thanks nonetheless.

redtube

Solidity

If you're interested in data analytics or something in that realm you'll want R, Python, and SAS. Also it's not a language but familiarize yourself with SSRS reports, power bi, or tableau

JS in general for jobs.

if you need to go with a bigger corporation, python (data science) might work. but also JS has become standard for QA automation, even in big orgs so i'm gonna stick with JS.

It's funny how the languages that Jow Forums neets hate the most are the most employable

Hence why I go on Jow Forums to ask these kinds of questions instead of Jow Forums.

R and Python for data science

C# for enterprise applications.

Solidity.

Attached: 1528524198348.png (400x350, 82K)

Hi OP, learn Python. I have been in the industry for 5-6 years now and am joining a FAANG soon. Python reads like pseudocode, is incredibly expressive, has utility functions for everything (collections.Counter, collections.defaultdict, functools.lru_cache, argparse to name a few) and has an amazing library ecosystem. Only downside is it's not great for applications with hard timing constraints, i.e. real time control systems, video games, storage drivers, etc. For anything else it is a dream.

I work in banking in data analytics and SQL and SAS are the most used. Python and R are rising and used for fancier data science stuff.

Does your dpt consider people who don't come from IT backgrounds? My majors are in econ and intl trade.

yeah, it's the most employable
doesn't make it a good language thought
it's just the only real option for webdev at the moment
also there is a big pool of people to hire from, so the workforce is cheap making it an attractive language to use for all kinds of businesses
however, the language is shit and you won't really learn anything worthwhile and instead only pickup a lot of bad practices
all that while you compete in an ever growing pool of competition and beeing forced to learn a completely new framework every 2 years
and then there is also the culture of webdevs ...
but yes, it's probably easy money at the moment if you can overlook the retardation

Definitely. If you're non-STEM it might be a bit harder to get your first job, but once you're in, you're in. Your university major doesn't matter much once you have experience. The best techie guy I worked with was a philosophy major and was making big bux as a self-employed contractor.

Econ is solid major anyway, just play up your mathematical and analytical ability.

Okay, I'm planning on doing a post grad diploma in management, which might be beneficial (it's a requirement here to get into masters, seeing as our normal bachelors aren't 4 years, ergo, you have to jump through some hoops to be internationally recognized).

I unironically don't care about how good a language is, only whether or not it's valued in the marketplace. It may sound heretical, but I'm in it for money, employability and job security, rather than for the love of the game, so to speak.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you make p.a.?

yeah, nothing wrong with that
I personally can't overlook the flaws, but if you can do then I would advice you to learn at least a second easy to learn language on the side such as python or go, just that you can't get at least a reference to some other language and that you are maybe able to take the chance to switch from front-end to back-end, which offers even greater job security
because even though js offers money and employability at the moment, I'm not sure if it can over you a well paid job in the future
because of a) new technologies such as WASM and b) due the ever growing pool of competitioners and c) businesses realizing that even though there is cheap workforce available, the running cost of using js is just to high in comparison to other languages

also don't try to fall in love with whatever language you are using, this will only limit you in the end

A bit shy to say because I'm underpaid at the moment and biding my time until I get a good contract gig (self-employed).

I have 3.5 years experience and the last face-to-face interview I had was for £500 a day 6 month rolling contract, but I didn't get it. I have some other things lined up so it should happen soon.

Contracting is where you can make some real money after a few years of experience.

Python. But if you want to look attractive to employers, build a portfolio.

If you're looking to automate some of your usual tasks within your domain, I'd say Python.

>also don't try to fall in love with whatever language you are using, this will only limit you in the end

This, don't be dogmatic. Use whatever is more adequate for each task.

Database and analytics languages user
>Python
>R
>SQL
These are going to become more and more important

where can I learn these?

Attached: images (1).png (207x243, 6K)

Scheme with SICP

C/C++ masterrace

Has anyone ever experienced any benefit to their careers by getting AWS certs?

If you want flexibility to pick and choose who you work for, you need to be a Full Stack Dev. Learn Javascript ideally with a framework like VueJs, React or Angular. Learn C# and learn SQL. Get proficient on these 3 and you'll never be unemployed.

Is R growing like python? Is it used widely in the industry ?

If you're familiar with programming languages, the platform and libraries are generally the learning curve, not the language itself. If they think you're intelligent there's a good chance they'll overlook your unfamiliarity with OurObscureLanguage, in my experience

funny how the books biz recommends gets 0 traction on /lit/

That's because here in Jow Forums we're totally focused in ROI.

What are some good biz approved books, user?

Malbolge to become a programming chad