Safest way to store BTC long term?

Other than a ledger, what is the safest way to store BTC? Paper wallet?

Also, total newfag question - hypothetically if I were to store an erc20 token on myetherwallet, what if MEW closes down or loses its domain someday. Wouldn't my coins theoretically be lost forever? What prevents this ?

I'm looking to store long term and I don't quite trust nano ledgers, not because of the tech, but because of myself - I've lost many USB drives in my life.

Attached: wallet-in-ziplock-bag.jpg (600x338, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bitkey.io/
blockchain.com/btc/address/1Bz8gDNtwdVWNjsHkXc16JoHucJxrqpPW
warosu.org/biz/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it doesnt matter if you lose the ledger nano

you only need the 24word seed

>what if MEW closes down

MEW is just one of a number of convenient ways to view and interact with ETH wallets. If you have you private keys saved somewhere, MEW can fuck off completely and you'll have 100 other ways to get at your tokens.

>I don't quite trust nano ledgers, not because of the tech, but because of myself

You will have a list of 20 or 24 (?) words which act as a recovery seed. You write them down, perhaps in partial lists, and/or hidden within some text, etc etc. and if you lose your Ledger you can retrieve your wallets with those seed words.

I hide my words on separate partial lists stored in relative's houses.

>Also, total newfag question - hypothetically if I were to store an erc20 token on myetherwallet, what if MEW closes down or loses its domain someday. Wouldn't my coins theoretically be lost forever? What prevents this ?
No
You can generate a wallet on MEW and use it on any ethereum client
You could even do it offline I think

binance

Don't use a brainwallet of course otherwise your shit will be JUST'd

"bitcoin is awesome" brainwallet pv key:
5J64pq77XjeacCezwmAr2V1s7snvvJkuAz8sENxw7xCkikceV6e

>500 btc

bitkey.io/

safest way is to store it deep in your girlfriend/moms brapper

CZ will exit scam on you retards

Your answer is your pic

so would you really recommend a nano ledger? I am looking to store 1-2 BTC for a period of about 3-10 years (yes, vague I know). How much safer is it than a paper wallet?

I'm just in a life where I move around a lot, I haven't had a steady place to live in a long time (not a hobo, just live in a city with a housing crisis). Which would you guys recommend? I'm not stingy, I don't mind paying the $60 for a ledger, but I mean, is it really THAT much better than a paper wallet? I've never done any long term cold storage, but I've always been under the impression (and to be fair Jow Forums has aided in this impression) that ledgers were a reddit meme.

you just gave me the craziest idea about DNA, the human genome, private keys and encoded data

Either is good lad. If you do a paper wallet put it on one of these and store it somewhere safe
I've had a wallet saved as a .txt file for like 4 years but don't do this lol

Attached: c1.jpg (800x600, 147K)

Go on... DNA wallet? (me and you can go into business on this ASAP, bro)

>Paper wallet?
yes
print to pdf, have multiple copies in physical and electronic form at multiple sites!! print on waterproof paper if you can you can also dip normal paper in wax but it makes it burn better.

Attached: w.jpg (1125x606, 231K)

If you don't need regular access then a Ledge isn't much benefit.

>he doesn't lay awake at night repeating his 24 word mnemonic seed phrase, which is also secured in multiple bank deposit boxes
not gonna make it

Whats the password fgt

try to guess it fagget!

>yfw a rouge Google employee uses your google data and JUSTS you

I tried your trip

Encrypt your keys and burn them on a cd-m

blockchain.com/btc/address/1Bz8gDNtwdVWNjsHkXc16JoHucJxrqpPW
made it a bit interesting for you

>mfw google can read my thoughts

Attached: 1488472977785.jpg (745x327, 43K)

PASSWORD IS 1234567890

print it

Well if you say it out loud I mean.. downloaded my Google data the other day and was surprised
Please don't trigger my autism like this, bro.

user... when you're thinking, do you say your thoughts out loud?

Attached: 1484244187064.png (542x800, 643K)

swipe it then!

Sometimes yes
How many digits is the pw

more than 20 less than 40
this is my weakest paper wallet pw

>more than 20 less than 40
I don't have like 2+ million years

Attached: .jpg (575x556, 39K)

well guess it don't try to bruteforce it!
i would start reading everything with O1G on warosu.org/biz/

I did already, you said your last pw was CraigWrightIsAFraud kek
Based

BIP38 password protected paper wallet, generated offline on an old computer that you destroy after using.

get a hardware wallet multisig
it took about a week for me to research and test this and I believe it's the best security method
I'm secure against theft fire hacks in many different ways

just boot a live cd and do it offline then reboot!

hardware wallets are fucking gimmicks

actually it would be a lot longer than that. takes about 5 secs to scrypt the password and try. 3x10^26 years it would take longer than how long the universe exists to try all 20 character passwords

The wallets you posted before have different pv keys on
Did you post the "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!" one too?

Attached: 1.png (600x598, 293K)

no that was some faggot
i revealed my previous password so i had to find a new one. the reason i posted here to let it sink in to people how fucking easy it is to properly secure their btc.
use bip38!
use a password strong enough to resist brute force but something that is meaningful to you!
if you can't post your pk on 4chin it's not secure!
have multiple copies at multiple sites!
keep digital copies also (adds to redundancy)!
keep your btc in smaller amounts on multiple wallets!
always swipe, never reuse!

YES it really is worth it. Idk how biz gave you that impression but as a Nano S owner myself, it’s quite distinctly different from a regular ass paper wallet.

You get the nano S device itself, and then write down its 24 word seed when you first turn it on, so basically it’s like you’re using a paper wallet but ALSO get a physical, functional, unhackable version of that same wallet too. One you can throw under your mattress or in your desk drawer nonchalantly, or even carry it around if you like, yet with no worries whatsoever that an adversary would need merely to gain knowledge of its LOCATION in order to compromise it (i.e. By simply looking at the plaintext private keys on it)

So with that in mind, you can just make 1 or 2 copies of the seed, stick them in locations that are damn-near-impossible to access, and then have those be your real “cold storage” while retaining a much more convenient but comparably unhackable version of that wallet’s private parts, closer nearby to you.

For 1-2 BTC worth $5000-10000, and most likely considerably more in the future, you can afford it. If you were just storing a couple hundred bills’ worth I’d say eh a paper wallet might do the trick. Do it right.

nicehash has 11 TH/s for scrypt
that's a lot of gpu-s... 866 quintillion years.

rofl

So its impossible to guess that pw?
Ahh i see or maybe you could secure the key using bip38 then embed it into an image or meme and distribute it everywhere so you never lose the wallet you just need to remember the one password

>generate paper wallets on an offline computer running Tails
>save the wallets into a text file
>encrypt the text file behind pgp and password
>save the encrypted files and keys onto multiple flashdrives
>whenever you need to pull anything out of cold storage boot up the offline computer, decrypt the message and pull whichever specific addresses you need to make hot onto a flashdrive
>load the flashdrive onto your online PC
>spend

You could even plaster the encrypted message all over Jow Forums. Nobody would be able to decrypt it without the key AND password. So basically even if you get all your cold storage wallets stolen, nobody will be able to get access. The only problem is all of your flashdrives could crash at the same time (unlikely). Wouldn't be a bad idea to make backups on a couple CDs as well.

>So its impossible to guess that pw?
no it's not if you know me well enough but i don't think anyone does who also has the tenacity.
it's impossible to brute force it. or as close to it as practically possible.
yes, this wallet will probably never be lost. you could also literally embed the wallets you generate to the blockchain.

>How much safer is it than a paper wallet?
Its not. Paper wallets are safer than any hardware.

I gave up trying with the pw desu

But i read your other thread about using hash as vector People used the hash of the first btc transaction for brainwallet as well i believe

whatever you decide on, keep it in a fireproof safe

yeah i thought i needed more security, but after fucking around with scrypt i realized it's totally okay.

Also this and protect you safe with guns.

oh and i also read an article about how instead of using some random looking ""strong"" password you could just use a long one that is ineligible and memorable and it's more secure.

How best to store BSV considering no fucking hardware wallet will support it?

Paper wallet

Terrible idea considering its extremely easy to get a sample of someones DNA without their knowledge

what if the DNA acted as some kind of 2FA, like you needed a password + DNA sample

that'd be kind of cool.

same with fingerprints

Get a 2 of 3 multisig wallet, store seeds in different locations, keep 3rd sig with a company like unchained capital.

very convoluted exercise, but how it is more secure than this: ?

the whole point of good 2fa is that it's not enough to get control over your machine but an other device also (preferably one that is offline). biometric scans just give you a false sense of security.

no one can guess it, it could be anything. i tried everything even hash, tx, spent address etc
maybe an actual cracker could get it based on what you posted but no brainlet is getting it desu

yeah but who would ever guess to do that unless it became popular to do it

>>generate paper wallets on an offline computer running Tails
>>save the wallets into a text file
>>encrypt the text file behind pgp and password
>>save the encrypted files and keys onto multiple flashdrives
>>whenever you need to pull anything out of cold storage boot up the offline computer, decrypt the message and pull whichever specific addresses you need to make hot onto a flashdrive
>>load the flashdrive onto your online PC
>>spend

Attached: fp1.jpg (201x121, 3K)

and that is what i'm trying to show you user. fucking steel plates and hardware wallets and trezors and 2fa... completely unnecessary shit. paper wallets are for most people the best option for cold storage. just have a good password and enough redundancy to never lose them.

you only need things like 2fa and hardware wallets if you actually want to use it regularly but don't trust mainstream os to keep clean of malware fishing for btc.

and an other thing could be making sure the wallet never gets lost if you die. having a signatory service (say a bitcoin bank) and a good 2 out of 3 key scheme makes it possible to both use your wallet and make sure after you die your family can inherit your btc but they can't touch it as long as you live.

yeah if there is malware on the pc it gets swiped before he can blink... don't overthink this people! if you overthink it you easily make mistakes. just follow best practice guidelines!

so generate paper wallet offline and then ?

what i did was booted a mint ubuntu (check hash) offline, installed pdf printer driver (predownloaded checked), print a bunch of bip38 wallets to pdf, save it to an usb, you should also print it out in multiple copies. once all copies are secured at their locations you boot up the ubu again and start verify the keys. if you can solve them and everything is alright then you can send btc on them straight from the exchange (no fees) at this point they are not sensitive.
if you want to spend it in the future securely, you boot up the ubu (or whatever live os you want) and swipe the keys onto a secure address (offline) then publish the tx once you rebooted the computer. unless you are absolutely certain it's clean. maybe that's too paranoid maybe not, you can probably swipe them directly to your exchange account which is 2fa protected.

You're retarded if you think this is any different than making paper wallets. Its literally the same fucking method, but behind encryption and stored on flashdrives and CDs.

i forgot the offline warning when you verify but should be pretty evident. if you type in your password the computer needs to be booted from a mint image and offline.

technically you can also decrypt the wallet on an offline computer and swipe the qr code with your phone camera if you trust it's clean.

safe and secure pilled

i unironically keep some of my pv keys in a txt file on desktop lol but for large amounts then i would do that or even something completely removed from the internet that doesnt even have a screen at all
anyway remember that old paper wallet printer that was on kickstarter years ago in like 2011-12?

i suppose it really doesn't matter if your password is secure enough like you say you can literally post your pv key anywhere and still no one could crack it. losing the wallet itself might be more of an issue than losing the password

it's the same if you create a bunch of paper wallets and encrypt them or if you use bip38 paper wallets. except bip38 uses scrypt that makes it predictably pretty expensive in cpu and ram to try passwords. which is better than simple encryption. and also it has a widely distributed toolset that runs in any modern browser you can download anywhere around the world.
btw i was referring to this part
>whenever you need to pull anything out of cold storage boot up the offline computer, decrypt the message and pull whichever specific addresses you need to make hot onto a flashdrive
>load the flashdrive onto your online PC
>spend
this is the vulnerable part you exposed your private key, frankly it would be better to just take your live os online and spend from there.

my pv key is in this image desu
password is 4 letters and very funny

Attached: .jpg (396x385, 78K)

write down private keys, photograph them, encrypt the photo file and upload it to your email and online storage. you don't even need to keep a wallet this way

bad idea you leave potential residue of unencrypted picture on the device it touches. why can't people just fucking use bip38 wallets? i just don't get it, it's fucking simple, it's tried and works and secure! no matter how much i run my mouth there is always someone that has a bright idea to take unnecessary risk.

shadap and gib answer. i am long lost son, you pay now daddy fren, i hab dna testings

Attached: 1551295159014.png (497x402, 195K)

lmao

I'll look into do that.

you can lauf now daddy fren im calling my mummy fren
"MUMMY!!!"
mummy fren speaking, you pay now, child support back log we habs dna fren, we go court and prove you are the daddy fren

Attached: femanon.jpg (1165x721, 91K)

Got to hand it to you, namefag. This isn't bad. I'm going to have to do this for my bulk wallets instead of PGP.

I did the photography offline on a semi brick phone then deleted orig photos. Ty for heads up tho

Also because its for a monerujo wallet, pref to store as monero than btc

Offline PC with offline transactions is the only way
Stamp the prv key on metal plate too of your main cold wallets with 1 btc in each

If you use a network connected PC and store a btc/ltc etc address in memory it get intel ME'd back to NSA HQ

make a fuck ton of these and you get xkeyscored

not cause uncle sam wants your 0.01 btc or anything, they just like to hoover this data up cuz influential/rich people have lotta btc and it's their job to track them

i don't like the idea ANYONE has my pvt key desu. they might not care about it now - but they may in the future