Working in IT?

I just graduated from a 4-year uni in the US with a degree in information systems, and worked a little over two years in helpdesk during it and during the summers. I was wondering what is the best path from now to start working at a school/school district or local government? I've worked in larger companies and would not rather do that as working in smaller companies (less than 1k people) i find more enjoyable. Should I try to get A+ cert or any other tips?

Attached: f.png (900x374, 218K)

Invest in chainlink and retire before you start working. Also certs are a meme and not a powerful one.
t. owner of IT service provider

A+ helps. Microsoft Server certs will be more valuable and useful. Especially if you can take Azure related courses and get certs.

My path was:
Start helpdesk at a shitty nearly bankrupt hospital. Slowly take on more responsibilities, til the hospital received some funding for a new medical record software. Volunteered to go for training on that software, and turned that training and set of certs into a 6 figure salary less than 3 years later.

It's about becoming valuable to your company so they start investing in you. Some of these windows bootcamps and training courses can cost 5-15,000$. Not feasible for most individuals.

Soon as you build a skillset and a resume, go become a contractor for a year or two and then settle down somewhere. You'll hone your skills and prove you can take your skills on the road.

A+ is unnecessary after a degree and 2 years experience. I would recommend working forwards Sec+ and CCNA and finding a junior network admin gig. Then move into architecture/security where the money is at. That’s the path I took. Wouldn’t change a thing. Do your best everyday, be early and stay late.

I'm doing Cybersecurity. Any tips? Doing AWS cert, and currently a junior.

based

The whole IT field is full of unbathed magic the gathering playing aspies.

do you think my degree would be enough with me experience factored in? I live in New York and was looking at jobs around 60k or so, and don't want to kinda reset everything

How do I even get my foot in the door, I assume the ats is swallowing my resume. It's not like I'm in the boonies, I'm half an hour from Atlanta but despite having a degree and portfolio nobody wants to even contact me about an entry level job.

The only actual offers I get are pajeet recruiters that want me to train for 6 weeks in Alaska before shipping me off to god knows where to steal a portion of my paycheck for 3 years

>working at a school/school district or local government?

You have to literally suck dick

T. IT desk lead

a couple summers ago I worked as basically a helper to the IT department of this smaller company (had about 4-5 total people who worked in IT) and the guys I helped were network/sys admin guys and loved what they did. Can you stay at these smaller companies to get those promotions or is it only possible if you go to those massive corporations?

CompTIA certs are for no experience foot in the door jobs. Cisco certs aren’t a meme

I just blew off the pajeet recruiters and only called back the ones with white sounding names and american accents.

I'm a Junior for Cybersecurity and some headhunter on LinkedIn offered me a job and I don't even have that much experience. Cloud and Cybersecurity is where it's at. IT shit will be automated.

are there no basic helpdesk jobs down there? I know Im also asking stuff but I started at my uni making minimum wage as a student doing help desk phone calls and eventually moved into a supervisor for our hardware location

The universal rule of the universe when it comes to IT is-- the biggest and best promotions come from moving companies. My biggest raises and biggest improvements in work environment have come from moving to a new company.

how is the relative pay? I found a job that sounds decent, but theres no pay listed and hard to find. It is just a computer/system technician type position

what are the general size of these companies? There are a lot of massive financial corporations around me and not about that as people I know who worked in it said its terribly disorganized.

any chance to get get an help desk job without a degree and eperience with meme certs (A+)?

I work at a smaller bank as a sys admin, it's pretty sweet since I spend most of my time playing wow, trading crypto or shitposting at work, but the pay could be better, I'm looking at jumping to a new company now that I have some experience and it looks like I could easily get a job with a 50% + pay raise, but I'm nervous about switching to a job that I may hate when I'm at such a comfy \job now.

that sounds great, but is the pay that bad? and if you have this down time theres always way to make money (youtube, blogs, other stuff) to supplement. For me I want solid pay, but before almost anything else is happiness bc i've worked at places that pay more but at the end of the day you feel like dying

the pay isn't terrible;e, 50k in the country in the midwest, but it isn't great, which is why Im tempted to move on

i dont wanna assume but I imagine in where Im living (new york) which is one of the highest cost of living in the US, I can imagine this would be closer to low 60s maybe? You may not know but just trynna picture it myself. Also, I feel it matters how you are as a person. I need stuff to be organized or have the freedom to control what im doing, and large companies kinda dont have either. If you're similar, a big company might not be good for you, but a midsized one (less than 5k) might be a good fit and worth the transition

any chance to get get an help desk job without a degree and eperience with meme certs (A+)?

sure, in the US the job market is pretty tight, just apply to lower tier jobs and claim you "know computers" and you can get a job in some of the smaller companies, just ignore their requirements, a lot of them are more wishlists than actual needs.

>of them are more wishlists than actual needs
if moutherfuckers like OP with a degree take Help desk jobs, which chances are there for who has no degree?

honestly, he's probably applying to larger companies that actually care about that sort of stuff, the smaller companies don't care as long as you are capable of learning, we have an open position at our bank for a semi IT related job that wouldn't need a degree and the position has been open for two months now, they would probably take anyone at this point.

Networking and being personable helps. I knew a guy with a managed services company and had some experience, had a good interview and got given a job as a technician. I had a CCNA but let it expire when I realised that your boss really doesn't give a fuck if you have the cert up to date as long as you know the material and are somewhat proven. Getting in the door is the hardest part.

My job as a technician right now consists of me driving around to client and fixing various problems, providing recommendations, installing stuff for clueless end-users. I get to work at 9, show my face, get my tickets for the day and then leave and drive to clients with lunch in between. As soon as I am finished I drive home and browse Jow Forums. Usually by 3PM I'm finished. Beats sitting at a desk pretending to work and not being able to leave until 5.

what is this position?

The A+ cert is trash and a waste of time. Get certified in AWS, Azure, VMWare, and maybe a security cert like Security+, CEH or CISSP.

This is like trying to learn how to sprint before learning how to crawl...surely the compita trifecta is good for complete newbies that barely know anything about computers?

>>gets a 4 year degree in IT
>>still doesn't have basic computer knowledge that every PC gamer knows (A+ cert is basically just that)
>>he literally wasted four years of his life and got in debt for nothing
I would just get on disability bro