Commute 1hr or stay working from home?

I've been working remotely for the past 9 years.

The highest title I've had is Senior Software Engineer.

This new position opened up that's incredibly niche and hard to hire for even remotely. Not only that they need someone local. It's KISMET. The official title is Head of Engineering.

I make around $120,000 a year working from home for random companies.

In this in-office job I would be making $145,000, + stock (which is worthless), but it has a 1hr long commute.

---

I don't know what to do. I have three kids, one is a baby, and my wife and kids are used to the lifestyle of me being there always. I've never not worked from home with them.

Should I suck up my pride and stay working from home? Do I pursue to opportunity to vastly increase my resume and making more money?

I'm so fucking STUCK, don't know what to do.

Attached: extra.jpg (1920x1080, 309K)

is 2+hr/day worth $25k/yr - car expenses?

Stay home.

Any reasoning? I'm reaching out to fucking Jow Forums, been here since 2004, you oldfags are my last hope. I need some kind of compass as my dad's advice isn't really solid, he says take the job because "reasons".

stay at home. the commuting jobs means your 10% of your day guaranteed

Stay home man 25k extra to drive 2 hrs a day is insane. Plus you'll have to dress in a monkey suit

How feasible do you think I negotiate a work-from-home arrangement?

Do it, but use the commute as leverage for negotiating more money.

This is coming from a personal opinion, and I don't know how you feel entirely about this situation.
But a $25k profit increase at the cost of the pressure of commute and sacrificing 2 hours of your day does not seem worth it. $120k a year is already decent income and I'm sure you could find a way to increase it if needs be.
Working remotely with your type of income is essentially my dream, and assuming your like your family I'm sure being at home will leave you with good memories in life.

>I have three kids, one is a baby, and my wife and kids are used to the lifestyle of me being there always. I've never not worked from home with them.
Imagine being able to actually watch your kids grow and be there with them for their milestones and then giving that up for an extra 25k.

Attached: sip.jpg (1485x792, 109K)

literally stay home. 1 hour away is 2 hours of driving.

25k/year is ~2k/month, that's $350 before taxes

2 hours of driving, 5 times a week, that's 10 hours

you need to literally do a 10-hour drive once a week (Los Angeles to Vegas and back)

gas will be like at least $50 each way if you're driving a larger comfy car, so that's $250 in revenue each week actually

then there's stress and food

so yeah.. not worth $250 a week imo. staying home is good

Just move closer. What kind of dumb question is this?

WFH, you can make that extra 25k a year trading shitcoins. god speed

sorry, i meant $350/week AFTER taxes obviously

HAHAHAH FUCKING WAGIE WANTS TO KNOW IF HE SHOULD PAY MORE TAXES OR NOT
AHHHAHAHAHHAHHA

these faggot neets aren't gonna feed themselves

Attached: 1555180470908.jpg (634x949, 92K)

You know what you user put it in crystal clear terms. I can always find a second freelancer contract if I really want more money. Seeing my kids is priceless.

I want you to know that you've _personally_ changed the course of my family and my kids lives. I've decided to stay working from home and being there for them.

Thank you, and God bless.

You are committing to a 50 hour work week.

You currently make $57/Hour when working a 40 hour week sitting at home in your underwear. (120,000 / 26weeks / 80hrs) = 57

You will be making $55/Hour when working your new 50 hour work week. (2 hours in car per day) (145,000 / 26weeks / 100hrs) = 55

For a reduced rate you get to dress up and deal with other autist engineers face to face. Seems a no brainer to me. I would counter with a higher hourly if I was seriously considering it. They're taking you for a gimp.

Had to make this decision myself recently.

I took the in-office job "promotion". Tried it for 3 months then moved back to remote. I found I was way more productive working on my own and building my skillset by taking projects that I was interested in.

In-office vs remote might seem like a small difference when you talk to other people but for me it's way more than that. Having to be at work at specific times and being a less-than-comfy environment is slavery. Working at your leisure on shit that interests you is freedom.

If you miss 3 hours of your kids life per day (2hr daily commute + 1 hr else randomly in day). That is about 750 hours missing per year (considering 5 day work weeks). In reality that extra $25K per year is really only $16.5K per year post-tax. Therefore this is what they are paying you to miss a non-trivial portion of your kids lives. Comes out to be about $1300 per month

Not insignificant, but certainly not compelling.

How about this as an alternative:

(a) Cut some waste out of your life. Your probably dont need 200 channel TalmudVision or Netflix or whatever cruft you have. Personally for me, I could pretty easily cut $300 of useless drivel services in my life without missing anything. Suddenly we've reduced that $1300 increase to only $1000 net

(b) Why not use this offer to negotiate a higher rate with your current job. Don't be a dick about it, be reasonable and tell them "guys I'm being offered $25K more per year, but I like working for you guys from home....so how about you give me an extra $10K and I stay put?"

totally not worth it, user. anyone with 2 neurons can answer that.

Your logic is shitty. 3 hours per day is probably more than half the actual time he would spend with them.

Let the adults speak now Jamal.

Imagine being a nigger and not spending time with your kids.

I'm whiter than you faggot. Anyway, good luck with the new job. Obviously your wife will sulk until you take the office gig because she's sick of having you around fucking up her time with Tyrone. But don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to bring your wife's sons to the park on the weekend.